• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
a6101ed9d92aa2765326f148cf2e098c437678361-1386322466-52a19a22-620x348.jpg

Please imagine a wizard hat on this seal

ok
9Wnn5.jpg

wonzo

Banned
Samurai Papa 12-12.5 END

Real bummed out this is over so soon but at least it ended on a high note. Pululululululu~(´ε` )

Zai x 10 18-22

I only just noticed the DD pattern on the ribbons so it'll be interesting to see if that goes anywhere for Part 2.

Prison School 115

FUCK YOU SO MUCH ANDRE

Shin Sekai Yori 1
The setting is future Japan, in an enclosed town that have about ~5000 inhabitants. Children one day awaken their special power "Cantus" which allows them basically telepathy and other things. But it is rumored that children that can't awaken their Cantus are taken by the Faze Cat. Also, Saki, the MC, dreams of visiting the world outside of the set boundaries of her village.

It is the adaptation of the eponymous sci-fi light novel, and it also had an anime adaptation. All adaptations differ in story at one point from the original material.
The drawings are good and the story sets the tone from the first chapter. Will continue to read and check out the original LN.
There are creatures in the manga that are called "Queer-rats". Sorry I can't take that seriously. /childish

Shin Sekai Yori 2-4
Horrendous creatures ! Lesbian sex ! Suspended Bridge Effect !

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Divinity original sins is eating up all of my manga time.

Help.

Kenichi

So...

Did kenichi just level up his "aura-of-defense-whatever the fuck it's called" or is this something new entirely? I've forgotten most of the technique's names.

WarRock

Oh, Kamen Rider Black is finally finished. Now to find time to read the last two volumes...

Gin no Saji 104
Aw yeah more pizza

Nickelodeon 36
Now I want to go back to playing .hack//GU and.... where is the rest of Voynich Hotel?I need my Dowman fix.

Tetsuwan Girl 9-11
Love how the artist uses nankim.

Something hit me on the head and I just had to re-read Orion, from Masamune Shirow. A personal favorite of mine. Full of action, craziness, comedy, scenes running one after another and a mindbending setting with magictech. And full of delicious blabberish like
http://i.imgur.com/GpfekWu.png

http://i.imgur.com/of93p8t.png

"Come out with your psyche level down!" has to be one of the best sentences ever.

I should read this and Black Magic at some point.

Shin Sekai Yori 11

Most contrived excuse for having yuri in a manga EVER

Can be called a "contrived excuse" if it's also present in the anime and in the scifi novel, and it isn't only yuri that is presented but also yaoi ?

Of course, it seems that the manga author takes that plot point and abuses it to present hot yuri fanservice.

Lain

The Breaker New Waves 164-165

The way it transitions from chapter 164 to 165 feels exceptionally wrong. Maybe they forgot to draw the explosion and the flames. At least 165 ends with some hope for some fighting again, which was about time.

Can be called a "contrived excuse" if it's also present in the anime and in the scifi novel, and it isn't only yuri that is presented but also yaoi ?

Of course, it seems that the manga author takes that plot point and abuses it to present hot yuri fanservice.
As I said, I judge the manga, and I have no knowledge of the source material. I've yet to see any yaoi in the manga. To me it felt less like a plot point but rather an excuse to have some fanservice.

Revo

The Breaker New Waves 164-165

The way it transitions from chapter 164 to 165 feels exceptionally wrong. Maybe they forgot to draw the explosion and the flames. At least 165 ends with some hope for some fighting again, which was about time.

There's a few extra pages that were added after the first upload but don't seem to be there anymore that bridge the transition.

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp). If you want to avoid that, just post a general question about the manga (don't do this on Wednesday though). Most recent at top. Links to previous recommendations at bottom.

1. An interesting start so far, especially the drawing powers. For Doodle. From Charade. (imp)
  2. #neardeathexperience For Yuutai Nova. From A Huge Battleship. (warn)
  3. Lain reading Gangsta, Ooku, Giant Killing.
  4. great story, particularly if you like mystery and intrigue and don't mind it being a downer. For "Bungaku Shoujo" to Shinitagari no Pierrot. From PhillipCostigan. (rec)
  5. Well I'm enjoying the anime of it, so this manga adaptation isn't all that bad either. For Kamigami no Asobi 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  6. Freaking adorable! Haha. Definitely going to keep reading this. For Hajiotsu. From upandaway. (imp)
  7. Set in an elite school where a person's status is determined through gambling. For Kakegurui 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  8. There have been a lot of ideas explored so far about the world's origins, the dead and human's relations to all of it. For Children of the Sea. From survivor. (rev)
  9. Prison School is actually a philosophical fanservice-laden romance comedy. For Prison School. From Zweizer. (rev)
  10. So our favorite series about mafias, thieves, trains and immortals. For Baccano! Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  11. From the creator of Historie and Parasyte, an intriguing scifi tale of mystery, ESP, aliens, conspiracies, a murder and unemployed college guys. For Tanabata no Kuni. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  12. Beside this amazing artwork, the book contain other Mori's short-stories. For Kaoru Mori Shuuishuu - Anything and Something. From Shengar. (rev)
  13. Thought provoking sci-fi oneshot by Daisuke Igarashi. For Unwelt. From Charade. (rev)
  14. I don't think it was superb but it was solid. For Planetes. From Revo. (rev)
  15. This is more funny, more troll-y in fact. For Wakabayashi Toshiya's 4-koma Collection Information. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  16. It's given me some excellent creative ideas involving human anatomy and spoons. For Mushi to Medama to Teddy Bear. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  17. 4-koma series, comedy, slice of life. The usual, in other words. For Dekoboko Girlish. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  18. There's a lot of sadness in this. For "Bungaku Shoujo" to Ue Kawaku Yuurei (light novel). From scy. (rev?)
  19. Short but sweet shoujo story about a town where the dead live on as ghosts for 49 days, before moving on to the afterlife. For 49. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  20. Ok wat
  21. Had an interesting story, cool side characters for the most part , an ending arc that might be a YMMV to some readers. For Toshiue no Hito. From Infinite Justice. (rev)
  22. Parasyte is the story about the high school kid Shinji and Migi, the shapeshifting parasite from space. For Parasyte. From brotkasten. (imp)
  23. wonzo ending A Girl by the Sea, Aku no Hana, and Honey & Honey.
  24. Oneshot about a guy and a girl reminiscing about their high school days and the girl they both loved. For My Little World. From Charade. (rev)
  25. The adventures of Ishida Mitsunari and two twins as they are challenged to fight against Orochi. Sounds like a Musou game. I'm hyped. For Rengoku ni Warau 01. From dakkumauji.
  26. Oneshot about a witch who confides in a stranger during her trip to get some bread. Pretty cute. For Witch's Complex. From Charade.
  27. Not a bad one shot. For Wolf Boy and Cinderella. From dakkumauji. (rev)
  28. It's reasonably gruesome and the premise is the kind of thing I usually enjoy. For Hito Kui 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  29. It's not the type of thing I usually read, but i'm glad I gave it a chance. For Aoi Hana. From PK Gaming. (rec)
  30. Really enjoyed reading this and it kept a warm feeling in my heart. Recommend it fully. For Taiyou no Ie. From Revo. (rec)
  31. Soooo two lovers take a trip to some hot springs. And then some cute things happen. And then some super interesting things happen. That's pretty much it. Yup. For Hiyori Geta. From Charade.
  32. I enjoyed myself while reading it and recommend it. For Tasogare Otome x Amnesia. From Revo. (rec)
  33. Well the art was cute, hope this war and draft scenario makes more sense in the coming chapters though. For The Fifth Hour of War - Home, Sweet Home. From Charade. (imp)
  34. This is the story of two of the greatest military commanders in history: the Roman Publius Cornelius Scipio and the Carthaginian Hannibal. For Ad Astra - Scipio and Hannibal 01. From Charade. (imp)
  35. Mystery thriller, but not told in a very straightforward manner so it makes it very entertaining to read, and makes it rereading it more fun to see few things I missed the first time. For Utsubora. From survivor. (rev)
  36. I love how a rather cliche premise about what looks like at first glance an average romcom is greatly improved by wacky characters that are all equally great, For Jitsu wa Watashi wa. From Zweizer. (imp)
  37. It really is a historical textbook manga about Japan littered with footnotes and recaps about key events involving Japan during that era. For Showa: A History of Japan 1926-1939. From survivor. (rev)
  38. It's enjoyable despite the mundane premise (and slightly lewd in places). For Rose x Marie 01. From A Huge Battleship. :)/)
  39. The dead elder sister of our protaganist returns from the realm of the dead in order to correct the path of her younger brother. A little rough in the pacing but it has potential to be a pretty cute sibling relationship series. For Ane Golem 01. From dakkumauji.
  40. It is extremely cute, with the pets and the master forming a heartwarming household. For Nukoduke!. From Zweizer. (imp)
  41. It's an one-shot done by the mangaka of Kurogane and I liked it. For Kamidori. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  42. Whoa! What's this?! Whoa whoa whoa! Whew! Whoa!! For Takkoku 01. From upandaway. (imp)
  43. Kind of a good start to this chess manga. For Chrono Monochrome 01. From Dedication Through Light. (imp) (EXTREME. ONLINE. CHESS. PLAYING. - dakkumauji, 2014)
  44. Overall, it's a rather enjoyable read so far, although one that shouldn't be done in public (depending on your environment). For Nana to Kaoru. From Zweizer. (rev)
  45. A normal girl gets tasked with protecting the world from invaders by being paired up with a large stuff animal. For Kigurumi Guardians 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  46. I was expecting full-blown smut, and instead I got a glimpse of how some futanari try to fit into society and live their lives as normally as they can. For Bra Girl. From Zweizer. (rev)
  47. A Shintaro Kago manga where one of the characters is Shintaro Kago. lol For Fraction. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  48. All in all, a good collection, with my favorite being the title piece. For Chiruhi. From Charade. (rev)
  49. A time traveling Sengoku series that doesn't involve gender swapped characters. Color me surprised. For Nobunaga Kyousoukyoku 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  50. 4-koma about the "everyday surreal life" of a couple girls doing random things. For Heisei Umare 01. From Charade. (imp)
  51. Recommended to anyone who wants a slice of life that breaks the norm. For Hinamatsuri. From Zweizer. (rec)
  52. SoL of a little curious girl done by Yoshiti Abe, in full color. I didn't know it was from this author. It's pretty cute. It's all very short stories, seen from the perspective of a small child, so there is imaginary firends and everything is a game for her. For Ryuushika Ryuushika. From Turin Turambar.
  53. A series about humans visited by a mysterious boy. The stories vary in strength although even the lowest aren't all that bad. Favorites are probably Yurika, The Monkey and the Crystal Ball, Socrates, and Sir Richard Wilson and Graham Becker. Overall quite an interesting series. For Fushigi na Shounen. From Revo.
  54. Dude works for a lingerie company and can tell a womans' sizes and what line of underwear they are wearing just by touch. For Amai Seikatsu. From Cerity. (whoosh)
  55. The basic premise is similar to Nikita/ Point of No Return, except the protagonist is a psychopathic killer and already murdered 715 people before getting recruited by the government. For Murcielago. From wsippel. :)/)
  56. It definitely makes me feel a little nostalgic. It's a sweet manga overall. For Jyoshikausei. From thesaucetastic. (rev)
  57. The story of a disgruntled office worker who finds a cute guy living in a box and takes him in as her pet. For Kimi wa Pet Vol 1. From survivor. (imp)
  58. It was interesting in that it isn't the typical romance, at least I have to give it that. For Baka & Gogh. From Turin Turambar. (imp)
  59. A story of living in a wolf eating rabbit world. Yet somehow it becomes quite a cute oneshot. For Strong Chase Weak Animato. From dakkumauji.
  60. It was a pretty decent read. Definitely had an old school feel, which was refreshing to me since I hardly read older manga like this. For Kodomo no Omocha. From thesaucetastic. (rev)
  61. Commendable. For Stretch. From Turin Turambar. (imp)
  62. In a strange tribe, full of customs of ritual dances, there are problems between the mask craftsman... For Flower. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  63. It's kind of aimless, way weirder: this is 80% drug-fueled shit. For Space Ship EE. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  64. Pretty much all of the manga is good, from the characters to the setting to the general plot. For 7 Seeds. From Revo. (a rec in disguise)
  65. So the story of two people given bad names and I guess how they either take over the school or become friends. For Tenshi-chan to Akuma-kun 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  66. In a school where your grades determines how good your classroom is, they have summon battles where classes can fight each other using summon spirits based off their grades. For Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  67. Already much more compelling than Ashita no Joe, plenty of dem feels moments already in the first volume. For Doubutsu no Kuni Vol 1. From Akito. (imp)
  68. An artbook from famous Inio Asano, it contains two short stories. For Ctrl+T. From Turin Turambar. (imp)
  69. He's probably one of the most manly MC's I've read about in recent memory whose manliness isn't just played off strictly for comedy. For Duction Man. From thesaucetastic. (imp)
  70. It wasn't bad, it has good moments near the middle of the story, but it also... For Cotton. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  71. They are short stories with a common theme: bus stops. For Bus Hashiru. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  72. I really liked this. Great characters with meaningful backstories, an engrossing plot, an adorable dash of romance...what more can you ask for? For Kono Oto Tomare!. From Charade. (rev)
  73. It's a seinen with a very particular style, in both drawing and narration. Very delicate, fluffy, sketchy. For Shiroi Kumo. From Turin Turambar. (rev?)
  74. If you ever wanted to know how to become an otaku waifu, this is the bible you've been looking for. For Insufficient Direction. From Akito. (rev)
  75. One volume stories in Sukima-shiki and Owari to Hajimari no Miles. From Turin Turambar. (?)
  76. you guys are so weird, sit down and read something wholesome like Mud - Dresden, 2014
  77. It's adorable, fluffy slice of life, plain and simple. For Himawari-san. From Charade. (imp)
  78. Japan is being ravaged by a mysterious illness called Sudden Death Syndrome where people suddenly die. For Kigurumi. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  79. Apparently, "the events of this manga are based on the (shy, non-drinking) author's own experiences working as a host!" For Host Man. From SenorArdilla. (imp)
  80. And damn it, I thought it was better than the anime which only means I'm inclined to keep reading. For Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  81. It's a very eclectic collection, from surreal humor, to sex, to pure symbolism and impressionism, to love and drama, fantasy and horror, and the overall level is pretty good, all things considered. For Garden. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  82. Super nice slice of life in a paradisaic little island, and at full color. Only 130 pages, though. For Ritou no Umi. From Turin Turambar.
  83. Collection of seinen oneshots, most in the quirky spectre, from the author of Baka to Gogh, Shoujo manga and Ranman... For Obrigado!. From Turin Turambar.
  84. He shows psychological shits that one needs to deal with when your soul and consciousness swap into another person's life... For Boku wa Mari no Naka. From Shengar. (semi-rev)
  85. That was a good slice of life manga! For Genshiken. From Turin Turambar. (rev)

Revo

Dr. Duo 12

I wonder if he'll ever actually get passed the detective conan 'since i exist, bad things happen around me' phase and actually go to med school at the end.

Zweizer

Banned
Kono Oto Tomare! ch18

Brother is cliché as expected. I did laugh at the four stooges' reactions to the 16th note explanation and Takezou's handling of the club advisor at the end of the chapter was pretty good.

kasane

renai boukon

damn. Figures some would be interested :p

the breaker new waves

Finally some action.

Cover G.O.A.T as always \o/

WarRock

Even being a Shirow fan, I have to say Black Magic is very an "early" work, it even started as doujinshi I believe, and it's kind of rough.
But the rest is great. Dominion, Orion, Appleseed, Gits, etc.

Man, after that piece of shit that is GitS2, I can handle anything.

And how can you not love Baka to Gogh? I'll concede that some of the short stories were even better though.

Man, after that piece of shit that is GitS2, I can handle anything.

And how can you not love Baka to Gogh? I'll concede that some of the short stories were even better though.

I liked Gits2! Of course, I'm a hardcore scifi fan and love the exploration of tranhumanist settings with cyberwarfare, Augmented reality, etc, with highly competent characters. The pace reminds me a bit of Orion, like Orion it's a big chase. The final part infiltrating the supercomputer lab with a double body and a complicated plan that could be taken from Kira's Death Note and the final virtual showdown with demigod level hackers attacking and counterattacking each other was thrilling.
And I totally drooled over the art.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...one-piece-x-toriko-chess-pieces-going-on-sale
Friday the 13th is a lucky day for Shonen Jump fans with Bandai's Megatre Shop launching pre-orders for a set of Chess Piece Collection R "Strong 9" Dragon Ball Z Kai x One Piece x Toriko game pieces. The line-up features Luffy × Yun (King), Goku × Sunny (Queen), Toriko × Goten (Bishop), Zoro × KamiRyu (Knight), Vegeta × Terry Cloth (Rook), Piccolo × Chopper (Pawn), selling at 8,964yen for September release.

Looks nice (except for Goku's small head)... Especially that Vegeta/Terry and Zor/Shenron pieces are really great but it doesn't look practical for use seeing as every piece looks to fantastical

WarRock

90% of the time the conversation in GitS2 is "technobabble technobabble fuck off donut face twenty pages of no plote-relevant reflections about how to hack minds", it also has some of the most confusing art with all the CG shit AND the worst pacing I've ever found in a comic.

People who complain about Alien sequels never had to suffer going from the first to the second GitS, wish I had just read 1.5 after 1. The original is so good, the second is so painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom