• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rail Wars! ep1
I wish they didn't go for the breast jiggle or babelicious curves kind of style. Red head girl is best girl.

It was a nice info on trains and trivia about them. Why is the main guy look like a wimpy underage while the other 2 girls look older and hotter despite being the same age as the guy? Kinda wierd song selection for the ED, its more for a gaming genre anime instead of trains.
Makoto Uno draws very good healthy woman/milf ero-manga.

I'll let that sink in.

The newest free revealed is using some good images, too bad its stuck being prizes I think, so I cant get rins or even nagisa's :(

BrsK6vUCEAAQSlD.jpg

yeah, that shot looks crazy good.

I really need to marathon Avatar/Korra. I loved what I saw of the original when I was younger but I was never able to follow the show, I just caught episodes here and there.
The original is free for prime members on Amazon if you have it. Fair warning: it starts out a bit childish because the creators didn't expect the popularity it got with young adults and older folks. It gets better. Halfway through season 1 it's already a bit less childlike and season 2 onward is at its best tone wise. But definitely recommended. The fights are always great.

Korra hasn't been that good until this season.
will i be ok if i just wikipedia the shit i didn't watch (watched like 5 eps of season 1)
Probably not. As good as the first three episodes of season3 have been you'd have to at least have seen the first 2 seasons of the show just so you know exactly what is going on and how these characters interact. Think of it like Clannad to AS. If you've seen the original series even better.

You could always try to jump in by reading the plot and the character entries in the avatar wiki I guess. But there are some good episodes throughout the first 2 seasons. But break dancing dude and water tentacle chick are by far the coolest bad guys this show has ever had.

jgminto

The original is free for prime members on Amazon if you have it. Fair warning: it starts out a bit childish because the creators didn't expect the popularity it got with young adults and older folks. It gets better. Halfway through season 1 it's already a bit less childlike and season 2 onward is at its best tone wise. But definitely recommended. The fights are always great.

Korra hasn't been that good until this season.

I'm Australian so I can't use Amazon. Will probably try to get the DVDs/Blurays.

duckroll

Oh something kinda funny, the only two Trigger staffers at the Ninja Slayer panel were Tattun and Wakabayashi. I expected atleast Nakshima and crew to show up but that was seemingly it. So I'm sure Wakabayashi will have a big influence on this one(as it seems he does with all the Trigger productions).

Lol. Flash anime confirmed?

TUSR

Banned
Someone should write a LN about the "Stu Virus", a disease that spreads through society turning everyone into straight teenage boys with no personalities, elite gaming skills and unexplainable harems that the Stus can choose to hold hands with as a source of sustenance (they lack sexual organs so that's as far as they can go). The only vaccine for the Stu Virus is character depth. Sadly once you become a Stu, it's impossible to develop any depth as a character so there's no going back...

god damnit

Jintor

Depends what you mean by equal opportunity. In terms of stuff people sell about girls as official merch, they probably haven't gone far enough yet.

/XX/

At the same time Jarmel mentioned Mr. Nakashima earlier we finally get a release date for the digital disc versions of the latest Crayon Shin-chan film, that he penned. Out on November, 7:

『キルラキル』の中島かずき脚本 『映画クレヨンしんちゃん ガチンコ!逆襲のロボとーちゃん』Blu-ray&DVDが11月7日(金)にリリース決定 | 日本最大級を目指すアニメポータル「AniFav」
http://anifav.com/topics/20140704_3691.html

Theonik

So I was in the spring thread a little bit ago asking for Miyazaki recommendations, and after watching some of his work I'm still in the mood for anime movies but wanna take a break from Miyazaki stuff for a bit. Besides Miyazaki's work I've seen Garden of Words, Children Who Chase Lost Voices, and Wolf Children, any recommendations for really interesting, possibly adventurous standalone Japanese animation movies?
Since you've seen Wolf Children, watch 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time'.
For 'Garden of Words' and 'Children Who Chase Lost Voices' I suggest you follow up with '5CM Per Second'.
From non-Miyazaki Ghibli I'd go for 'Only Yesterday', 'Grave of the Fireflies', and 'Pom Poko', perhaps also 'Whisper of the Heart'.
Might write an actual movie recommendation list later.

Someday anime will make its women run normally.
Check out the relay race on iM@S episode 10. Or the Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

There was anticipation for Rail Wars? Really?
I know right. The PV made it look super bad.

lol at people being overly excited for a show mostly based on some guy's sexy drawings of chicks at a train station. If I can get some of this I'll be fine.
Sadly I doubt we are getting any of that.

The LN art looked real nice. :(
We all knew when the PV was shown that the art was an illusion.
Also Yama no Susume 2 2 hype.

That depends on how many episodes have Esdese.
Adds Rail Wars to watchlist
"Two good reasons to watch Rail Wars"

Whoa there buddy, it was a joke (and one made all the time at that) no need to start throwing insults :\
Just because 'It's a joke' or it being one that is commonly made that doesn't make you any better in this situation.

Not to be a party pooper, but I kind of think that work safe is stupid, you should be working at work not posting and reading shit on forums unless it's on your breaks. This doesn't mean I don't think there should be Decency rules for thread posting. No one wants to see or read shit that is clearly offensive or indecent. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people complain about stuff using work as a reason.
I agree. Frankly, you deserve to be fired by looking at GAF while on the clock in the first place.

NSFW doesn't just mean for work specifically. It means for being outside in the public. I don't want to contort my body into insane yoga positions so I can prevent every person who could possibly look over my shoulder to see bouncingplot.gif on my phone.
Why do you care about people you'll never see again. Moreover why do you think anyone gives a shit about what you look at on your phone.

Work safe should be read as being compliant with google ad rules as well. If the forum can't comply with that, there goes the ads.
Now, this is actually a reasonable argument.

Seriously, though, how can something like that actually make it through to print??
Because SAVE releases are pretty minor and are probably assigned to a singe person with no real QC attached to them it's just forgetting to update one field in the template. This can happen easily.

Nobody would dare to use a spindle case ..

Please don't tell me ....
ADV/Sentai did it with Princess Tutu I think. Cajun has cried about it in the past.

I just started Korra no Densetsu the other day. Not bad so far.
That's what they all say :(

What did I say about not spamming images? Especially lewd ones?
We knew the thread would not be the same. Few people laughed. Few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the, line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad Gita. Duckroll was trying to persuade the prince of lewd, that, he should do his duty, and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says: "Now I am become death, destroyer of threads."

AnimeGAF.gif

So how are you enjoying Final Fantasy XIV V?

Lol. Yeah FFV was impeded a little by my re-subscription to FFXIV. After the 4th and visiting family I plan to power through the game this weekend. I want to try and get through 75% of the game by the end of Sunday. But we'll see how that goes.

And actually I am really enjoying FFV a lot more than I thought I would. Not the best in the series but definitely a lot of fun. And FFXIV is pretty great too. Trying to get my character to 50 so I can run those end game raids.

Theonik

Well, some of the relay-race was rather sparsely animated if I remember correctly, so it's maybe not the best example? The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is fine though.
Not about sakuga per-se the question was about girls running in non-girly fashion.

TUSR

Banned
Lol. Yeah FFV was impeded a little by my re-subscription to FFXIV. After the 4th and visiting family I plan to power through the game this weekend. I want to try and get through 75% of the game by the end of Sunday. But we'll see how that goes.

And actually I am really enjoying FFV a lot more than I thought I would. Not the best in the series but definitely a lot of fun. And FFXIV is pretty great too. Trying to get my character to 50 so I can run those end game raids.

FF14, is that game even good after the retooling? For some reason I thought FF11 was still more popular.

TUSR

Banned
Reborn is an excellent MMO. It has only improved more as they've released more updates to it.

I want to renew my sub actually.

I was thinking of picking it up on PS4, but that would require me taking it out of it box before I move.

Can this be played moderately well with a DS4 for maximum laziness?

FF14, is that game even good after the retooling? For some reason I thought FF11 was still more popular.

I am sure there are more qualified people than me when it comes to MMO's (I am actually not a big fan of MMO's), but I really like it. The world is interesting, the story is interesting enough and the dungeons are fun. Just be aware that there is a lot of story padding and fetch quests. The most recent example was a level 42-44 quests trying to find corrupted crystals to install onto the air ship. First guy we do quests for tells me when I do every thing for him that I don't have the proper element crystal. The next person I talk to asks me to fight a monster before she tells me who the next person I have to talk to before he can give me a bunch of fetch quests to go get the crystal I wanted 10 story quests ago. So there's some extreme padding. Past that though, the game is quite fun, the world is huge and there's lots of content.

I was thinking of picking it up on PS4, but that would require me taking it out of it box before I move.

Can this be played moderately well with a DS4 for maximum laziness?

I play it on PS4. The way they set up the hotbar to the controller is actually quite intuitive. It's very pretty on PS4 too for an MMO. So you won't have any problems there.

There's a bit of a learning curve but I think it's pretty easy to pick up for the most part.

Tenumi

Banned
Oh wow... some of the new SOS entries....

I should probably should put a NSFW warning as well, for those that are willing to look.

Speaking of MMOs....

Sword Art Online - 20

Politics. In an MMO.

POLITICS. DIPLOMATS. WHAT IS THIS, EVE ONLINE?

If I was in a virtual MMO
with no consequences guys, I'd rather this kind of talk be restricted to forums! I want to spend my time flying and fighting! Not sitting at a round table discussing about alliance issues between races.

I feel really sorry for the other members of those armies, being forced to just stand around and watch! They must be thinking: "Ugh, I'd never have to do this crap in WOW."

Oh man, imagine if a full-blown war did start!

AND NOW FOR MAJOR BREAKING NEWS AT 6!

CRISIS IN ALO! THE SALAMANDER RACE IN THE ONLINE MMO GAME HAVE APPARENTLY DISRUPTED A VERY DIPLOMATIC MEETING AND NOW A FULL-SCALE WAR HAS SENT THE DIGITAL WORLD INTO CHAOS! THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE ARE LEAVING THEIR JOBS LEFT AND RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS DIGITAL WARFARE! OHH THE HUMANITY.

Tokyo Ghoul - 1

Well that was terrible. All the subtlety was completely removed. If there were supposed to be any horror elements they were completely removed.
What was the purpose of showing that Rize was a ghoul in the beginning? And why was she naked?

Blusby

Tokyo Ghoul 1

Boobs and tentacles, truly my kind of anime.

On a more serious note, the way he acquired his powers seems supremely dumb (zero oversight from the hospital staff after transplant)and I hope its something that will be explained/expanded upon.
It will be.

Jex

Tokyo Ghoul - 1

Well that was terrible. All the subtlety was completely removed. If there were supposed to be any horror elements they were completely removed.
What was the purpose of showing that Rize was a ghoul in the beginning? And why was she naked?

Wait wait, they made significant changes from the manga? Interesting, I guess you have to HBO it sometimes.

Blusby

Wait wait, they made significant changes from the manga? Interesting, I guess you have to HBO it sometimes.

I posted this in the other thread but:

"Lol no, it pretty much went through to the first half of chapter 6, skipped chapters 2 & 4 (4 will be in the next ep probably, 2 is forever gone), cut down Kaneki's intial meetings with Touka from three to one, and cut out key monologues that introduce the core themes of the narrative as well as cleverly hint at the MC's development path. I can imagine how they'll rush through the plot, stripping away the intrigues of Kaneki's character in order to make it all fit into one-cour. It's Brynhildr all over again, though it looks damn pretty, so it's not a total loss."

Superflat

Is it normal for Crunchyroll to be late on acquisition/streaming announcements at the start of the season? I felt like they announced a ton of shit the week before shows aired for the Spring season, but Summer shows are already airing and I'm unsure of which will be streamed by them :T

Taruranto

I like equal-opportunity fanservice as much as the next guy, but Free! might be taking it a bit too far. It's almost an Ecchi at this point.

I wish I could still post some To-Love Ru gifs.

It's pretty much your average cocker-cuter WoW clone. Instanced content, linear and vertical progression, end-game that gets old after 1-2 weeks after a patch hit, etc. More like a jrpg featuring co-op rather than a mmorpg like most mdoern mmorpg.

TUSR

Banned
It's pretty much your average cocker-cuter WoW clone. Instanced content, linear and vertical progression, end-game that gets old after 1-2 weeks after a patch hit, etc. More like a jrpg featuring co-op rather than a mmorpg like most mdoern mmorpg.

That bad?

Midonin

Is it normal for Crunchyroll to be late on acquisition/streaming announcements at the start of the season? I felt like they announced a ton of shit the week before shows aired for the Spring season, but Summer shows are already airing and I'm unsure of which will be streamed by them :T
This is how it went last summer, too. They announced seven shows at once at last year's Anime Expo, and I expect the same to happen this time.

Jex

The whole intro segment with the nude girl wasn't in the manga, this is what the one page "scene" looked like in it:

Edit: They actually removed quite a lot from what I can see.

"Lol no, it pretty much went through to the first half of chapter 6, skipped chapters 2 & 4 (4 will be in the next ep probably, 2 is forever gone), cut down Kaneki's intial meetings with Touka from three to one, and cut out key monologues that introduce the core themes of the narrative as well as cleverly hint at the MC's development path. I can imagine how they'll rush through the plot, stripping away the intrigues of Kaneki's character in order to make it all fit into one-cour. It's Brynhildr all over again, though it looks damn pretty, so it's not a total loss."
That sounds...pretty bad. I mean, I can't speak to the original material, but the way the writing in the anime came across to me was as "lazy".

Chariot

Thanks for the post. I'm not gonna watch this. Reading the manga sounds like the smarter idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom