• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

PhilGPT

THANK YOU. I was convinced I had tried every Borderlands 2 compatibility code with no effect. Where did you find that?
No problem :)
NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide to find AA flags and the HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread for HBAO+ flags.
Big thanks to Bonkers and all the contributors on those threads for all their hard work :)
14390060038_4a373b4ea7_o.jpg

Fooling around with Jim's CE table... sucks that I can't get playersonly to work :(
Everything else works great though :)

BONKERS

I basically can't even browse this thread anymore since my cable modem resets itself when I try to patch Steam games, download Steam games, or open this thread. =( It dies partway through pages and if I'm lucky I might get it to work after reloading 5+ times.

However, I come here seeking help. As with most any time I've tried to use NVIDIA Inspector (1.9.7.2, with both GeForce 326.80 and 337.88 drivers) with a GTX 770 2GB, I am having no success. I am not sure if the profile is even activating.

Here is what Borderlands 2 looks like for me:
borderlands22014-07-033kni.png

I followed this guide to set it up:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121750593

Is there anything I might be missing? I've restarted Borderlands 2 after applying the NVIDIA Inspector settings but had no improvement.

*edit* I tried turning on FXAA and the FXAA indicator from NVIDIA Inspector, and that works and shows the green square in the upper left corner. So the profile is working, it's just SGSSAA that seems to do nothing. I've tried several different compatibility bits too. If someone could please screenshot your working NVIDIA Inspector Borderlands 2 settings that would be amazing. Bonus for a GTX 770 test, but I don't know if anyone will have that combination at hand.

Isn't this game like DX11 by default or something? I don't have it.

Try using different flags:
0x080000C1 for SGSSAA
0x00000020 for HBAO+

Although the flag above for SGSSAA gives me red lines all over the place (using a GTX 850M 4GB)
you may need to enable the "Anti Aliasing Fix" At the top. It may fix the outlines issue.

Also: Depending on resolution, using HBAO+ and SGSSAA together unless you have a beast card or setup is really going to cost a bit more power. (Game settings may affect it too. I'd say if you can get decent SGSSAA without too much framerate issues, i'd say using HBAO+ is a bit secondary)

On my 570 by default at just about any resolution HBAO+ almost always takes about a fixed 15-30% GPU usuage. (Strangely consistent ha)

Spazznid

It is not so hard once you figure out how to get the character out of sight

And
also these are taken from Vista scenes , making it easier .

The limited FoV and generally inconsistent of the scenery sometimes makes it very hard to get a non-vista shot. Also the fact that you can't get a character-less shot while looking straight ahead or down unless you're up against a wall.

midhras

Overgrowth sure is a lot of fun. It's a potentially very good brawler, but what I'm really looking forward to is the devs intentions to go wild with possible shaders. Also, the options for screenshotters are amazing. We're going to be seeing a hell of a lot more from that I predict.

YHT.png

ZHT.png

R8TEDM3

Really wish we get a sequel to this game! But knowing how bad it sold, it's probably wishful thinking, which is such a shame, because game is AWESOME!

14586328534_d52346f58c_k.jpg

14565134616_3c89e51f71_k.jpg

midhras

I agree. The ENB shots with all the green grass, and heavy DOF are pretty and all, but really take away from what makes the game amazingly beautiful.

But I really love post-apocalyptic scenery a lot, so that's probably why.

Different strokes for different folks, but to me, ENB can add to the post-apocalyptic feel - as well as the addition of a lot of grass does. I don't mind people being purist if that's what they like, but I applaud Bethesda for allowing modders to take a game and build on it in ways that satisfies their personal esthetic.

I've probably shared at least some of these on GAF already, but whenever someone states ENB and/or mods diminish the look of the game, I feel like I not only have to counter by saying that this is of course opinion, but I need to show what I mean when I say that at least for me the opposite is true. That said, I fully agree that it's totally up to taste what looks good, and that these shots might epitomize whatever one might think is bad about modding.

8591595288_864e94c8f1_o.png

8696929274_c67a7e7849_o.png

midhras

10751955485_dd63286823_o.png

9184430041_6a720b709a_o.png

In the end I don't think it's at all constructive to state that a game looks better or worse with or without mods or shaders. I'd rather argue over if a particular shot has merit, if we're going to argue at all.

Different strokes for different folks, but to me, ENB can add to the post-apocalyptic feel - as well as the addition of a lot of grass does. I don't mind people being purist if that's what they like, but I applaud Bethesda for allowing modders to take a game and build on it in ways that satisfies their personal esthetic.

I've probably shared at least some of these on GAF already, but whenever someone states ENB and/or mods diminish the look of the game, I feel like I not only have to counter by saying that this is of course opinion, but I need to show what I mean when I say that at least for me the opposite is true. That said, I fully agree that it's totally up to taste what looks good, and that these shots might epitomize whatever one might think is bad about modding.
Sadly Fallout New Vegas will be the last fallout that supports ENBs, due to Fallout 4 almost certainly being DX11.

Also ENBs are good and all, but they give a really bad IQ as the AA is garbage with them. And Fallout 3 is unplayable at 4K+ with an ENB.

Top Bottom