• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello GAF, I want to steal from a library

Wow, OP is a huge scumbag.

He knows it wrong but probably still would have done it if enough random people on GaF told him it's OK. Fortunately no one did.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, OP. I'm not against stealing, but from a library? C'mon.

Borman

As a librarian, I hate you. No matter what fee they charge you, the headache to actually order new materials for the library isn't worth your little convenience. You arent the one who has to fill out order forms or have them approved, along with the fact that most libraries can only order from certain places (ie not Amazon), so they get the bum deal. It only hurts everyone else.

Yea that's a pretty horrible thing to do OP. You're literally stealing. I'm sure there are others who would get enjoyment from the game too. Check it out and beat it, otherwise go buy it. Very selfish thing to do.

wondermega

Might as well drop a load of steaming feces into their return book slot while you are at it. That'll teach them to try to be a cool library and ACTUALLY LOAN OUT VIDEO GAMES

WTF

madp

The Light of El Cantare
yep, one of the things Ohio does well is our library system. games are hit or miss because they're popular but i have you just have to be patient.

Haha, yeah. I've been waiting on a copy of GTAV for something like seven months but I'm okay with it because the glut of readily available games makes up for the few AAA releases that take months to dwindle their waitlists.

Toad.T

Banned
At least your libraries have games. I've been casually trying to have my city's get them for a few years.

I was spoiled by having PC games to borrow from my branch.

OP is a terrible human being and should feel bad.

No, but seriously, wtf? On top of it being fucked up to start with you came to GAF to ask if you should?

Wait, if we have rules in the TOS against discussing piracy, hacking etc., shouldn't we ban threads relating to people discussing the deliberate attempt of criminal acts? ...Half-serious.

Truth be told though, it doesn't hurt to ask. Once at my local branch a few years back, I found a book on Sephari Jews that I could just not find online, so I went up to the librarian and told her how much I wanted it, and if I could have it, either as a fined "lost book", or as a library book store sale. Since I was literally the only one who checked it out in the last 8 years, she talked to her supervisor, and she let me keep it as a lost book, annulled fine, in exchange for making a small donation and donating my own book.

In all honesty, there is no harm in asking; the worst they can say is no. Just don't be a dick and steal/commit fraud, but there is nothing wrong in being direct and asking as an option; you really have nothing to lose.

That's not what the OP or the select few I mentioned were suggesting. Besides, even if he did steal it he would be doing it out of economic incentive of not having to pay for a copy instead of trying to find a rare item. What you cited is a different scenario than what the OP is thinking.

That's terrible for so many reasons. If you follow through on it you're terrible. Don't abuse a positive avenue and make everyone suffer instead of just fucking paying for it in a legit way.

Sanke__

Maybe pay the fee for "losing" it and donate some other games?

I assume there's some reason you want a game that a library has.

xjrodriguez

Neo Member
Don't do it. There's nothing good that'll come of it besides the financial gain of selling it. Lol @ the people who are posting the $$$ sale listings. Any indecisiveness he had just went out the window.

Btw who knew I was so out of touch? I would never think to go to my local library to check out games.

Also, amazing thread title!

Aces&Eights

Well, I'd be paying them the replacement fee so I don't know if it's stealing. And I can clearly see what portion of my property taxes goes to the library annually. I am one of the tax payers in this instance.

So, mind if I hack your bank and "lose" your next paycheck if I agree to pay the bank fee for recovering it that should only take, say....6 months?

Yeah, that would make you a terrible person. And stealing from a public library is stealing from tax payers.

The Big Banks literally stole $16 TRILLION from the US Treasury, aka US tax-payer, in the biggest train heist in history in 2008. Most of the Fortune 100 pay zero or close to zero taxes while some of the biggest actually get massive multi-billion dollar subsidies straight out of tax payer pockets...have purchased and own all 3 branches of goverment to keep it that way...and yet continue to offshore living wage jobs by the millions despite massive profit windfalls and tax breaks. US trade policy is insane and encourages corporations to literally steal from the US Treasury. The US military is still stealing $2 billion PER WEEK to conduct a pointless war in Afghanistan while the corporate owned media ignores it...and now the mil-ind complex wants more billions to go back in to Iraq again...bc they did such a bang up job the first time. Giant pharmaceutical companies got a $2 TRILLION wet kiss from the Bush administration that allows them to monopolize and jack up prices on US citizens while the rest of the world can get far cheap(er) pharma from the same companies. Most corps in the US are allowed to operate monopolies or duopolies within their respective markets...suposed govt by the people, for the people anti-trust nowhere to be found...engaging in massive system wide price fixing which is tantamount to large scale theft from millions of Americans on a continual basis.

I could list an endless parade of instances of massive systemic theft that, when taken together and looked at from a macro-perspective, indicates the entire US economic system has become one giant shell-game con, top to bottom.

So, in that context, we're going to tell this guy its wrong and horrible to steal a $40-$50 game bc it "hurts tax-payers"? Lol In light of the way the US economy works in the real world this doesn't pass the straight face test.

So, yeah, I guess its wrong in an absolute sense...but lets not kid ourselves people. This is similar hypocrisy to how we are taught for years not to cheat on tests in school...and then get out into the real world and realize most of the biggest, most successful executives and companies have gotten where they are by cheating, lying, and stealing. And then we, as a society, admire them for their wealth, conveniently ignoring how they stole...er..."earned" it.

Id say dont take the game...figure out a way to buy it. But, if you do steal it I wouldnt say relatively speaking you're a bad person. Over the last few years alone, tax payers have literally been ripped off for TRILLIONS of dollars by the very corporations and govt institutions they trust. I dont think another $50 is going to hurt anyone. The US military steals and spends more than that on a rubber band or paper-clip.

Iolo

The Big Banks literally stole $16 TRILLION from the US Treasury, aka US tax-payer, in the biggest train heist in history in 2008. Most of the Fortune 100 pay zero or close to zero taxes while some of the biggest actually get massive multi-billion dollar subsidies straight out of tax payer pockets...have purchased and own all 3 branches of goverment to keep it that way...and yet continue to offshore living wage jobs by the millions despite massive profit windfalls and tax breaks. US trade policy is insane and encourages corporations to literally steal from the US Treasury. The US military is still stealing $2 billion PER WEEK to conduct a pointless war in Afghanistan while the corporate owned media ignores it...and now the mil-ind complex wants more billions to go back in to Iraq again...bc they did such a bang up job the first time. Giant pharmaceutical companies got a $2 TRILLION wet kiss from the Bush administration that allows them to monopolize and jack up prices on US citizens while the rest of the world can get far cheap(er) pharma from the same companies. Most corps in the US are allowed to operate monopolies or duopolies within their respective markets...suposed govt by the people, for the people anti-trust nowhere to be found...engaging in massive system wide price fixing which is tantamount to large scale theft from millions of Americans on a continual basis.

I could list another 100 instances of massive systemic theft that, when taken together and looked at from a macro-perspective, indicates the entire US economic system has become one giant shell-game con, top to bottom.

So, in that context, we're going to tell this guy its wrong and horrible to steal a $40-$50 game bc it "hurts tax-payers"? Lol In light of the way the US economy works in the real world this doesn't pass the straight face test.

So, yeah, I guess its wrong in an absolute sense...but lets not kid ourselves people. This is similar hypocrisy to how we are taught for years not to cheat on tests in school...and then get out into the real world realize most of the biggest, moat successful executives and companies have gotten where they are by cheating, lying, and stealing. And then we, as a society, admire them for their wealth, conveniently ignoring how they stole...er..."earned" it.

Id say dont take the game...figure out a way to buy it. But, if you do steal it I wouldnt say relatively speaking you're a bad person. Over the last few years alone, tax payers have literally been ripped off for TRILLIONS of dollars by the very corporations and govt institutions they trust. I dont think another $50 is going to huet anyone. The US military steals and spends more than that on a rubber band or paper-clip.

what

213372bu

Banned

I could list another 100 instances of massive systemic theft that, when taken together and looked at from a macro-perspective, indicates the entire US economic system has become one giant shell-game con, top to bottom.

So, yeah, I guess its wrong in an absolute sense...but lets not kid ourselves people. This is similar hypocrisy to how we are taught for years not to cheat on tests in school...and then get out into the real world realize most of the biggest, moat successful executives and companies have gotten where they are by cheating, lying, and stealing. And then we, as a society, admire them for their wealth, conveniently ignoring how they stole...er..."earned" it.

Id say dont take the game...figure out a way to buy it. But, if you do steal it I wouldnt say relatively speaking you're a bad person. Over the last few years alone, tax payers have literally been ripped off for TRILLIONS of dollars by the very corporations and govt institutions they trust. I dont think another $50 is going to huet anyone. The US military steals and spends more than that on a rubber band or paper-clip.

excuse me but did someone put something in my drink again

What

Regiruler

I went into the one by me a couple months back to waste some time. It was all seniors (and I mean old) and homeless.

Your area is weird. My library is usually occupied by kids and people using it as a study area. TBH, people above 50 are somewhat uncommon there.

I could list an endless parade of instances of massive systemic theft that, when taken together and looked at from a macro-perspective, indicates the entire US economic system has become one giant shell-game con, top to bottom.

So, yeah, I guess its wrong in an absolute sense...but lets not kid ourselves people. This is similar hypocrisy to how we are taught for years not to cheat on tests in school...and then get out into the real world and realize most of the biggest, most successful executives and companies have gotten where they are by cheating, lying, and stealing. And then we, as a society, admire them for their wealth, conveniently ignoring how they stole...er..."earned" it.

Id say dont take the game...figure out a way to buy it. But, if you do steal it I wouldnt say relatively speaking you're a bad person. Over the last few years alone, tax payers have literally been ripped off for TRILLIONS of dollars by the very corporations and govt institutions they trust. I dont think another $50 is going to hurt anyone. The US military steals and spends more than that on a rubber band or paper-clip.

... The fuck? So, as long as someone steals less than, say, $1 billion... it's ok?

Ghazi

Please, tell me more.

... The fuck? So, as long as someone steals less than, say, $1 billion... it's ok?

Lol Thats not what I said at all. I said that we exist within a system that has codified and legalized theft in just about every way imgaginable. And yet people are so blind to this fact they want to get on a high horse about a $50 game. And, by the way, I never said it was OK. I mentioned at least twice its wrong in an absolute sense...but that relatively speaking its fucking ridiculous for people to hound him for this when the tax-payer is being ripped off continually on a daily basis.

Settin

This is why I drink. You're wrong right out of the gate for assuming one theft justifies another.

This is why I drink. You're wrong right out of the gate for assuming one theft justifies another.

Again, that isnt what I said at all. Please point out where I said in an absolute sense that its ok? I didnt. I merely find it funny that so many Americans are asleep to whats going on in their country...but when it comes to one random guy stealing a video-game its time to throw him in Gitmo. Lol

213372bu

Banned
Lol Thats not what I said at all. I said that we exist within a system that has codified and legalized theft in just about every way imgaginable. And yet people are so blind to this fact they want to get on a high horse about a $50 game. And, by the way, I never said it was OK. I mentioned at least twice its wrong in an absolute sense...but that relatively speaking its fucking ridiculous for people to hound him for this when the tax-payer is being ripped off continually on a daily basis.

There's not enough rotating question mark gifs to explain my feelings.

Memorabilia
(Today, 08:31 PM)

You trollin right bruh?

$2 billion a week.

Get it straight.

Sorry, my head was exploding. It won't happen again.

Unless the people commenting in this thread are the same banking execs, congressmen, etc you were talking about, I don't see your point.

213372bu

Banned
*sigh* ok, I clearly went too big on this one. It happens. I'll dumb it down next time so I dont create a mini-controversy. Lol

Oh, I know what you wrote pretty clearly.

I just don't know how to respond.

And I'm not even talking about the forced-political "just cuz" part either.

There is no relative.

Doing that shit is bad.

If he does it, he would be a bad person.

Memorabilia
(Today, 08:31 PM)

You trollin right bruh?

Actually, no. I dont troll. I was expressing a legitimate frustration at how Americans by and large are asleep when it comes to a lot of big picture stuff and how its a little funny to me that something like this wakes them up. No biggie.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Again, that isnt what I said at all. Please point out where I said in an absolute sense that its ok? I didnt. I merely find it funny that so many Americans are asleep to whats going on in their country...but when it comes to one random guy stealing a video-game its time to throw him in Gitmo. Lol

How in the world does a thread full of people hammering away about the right moral choice, and scolding bad behavior suddenly lead to the correlation that all Americans are completely ignorant to the wrongdoings in their country?

You're already getting dog piled like crazy but how does this make any sense, really?

Bullza2o

Libraries let you borrow a game for 1 week, with $1/day late fees. Honestly it's not that bad keeping it longer until you beat it then return it. Please don't steal.

Settin

Right here. You're saying in the context you laid out that we can't say the OP is wrong. You're directly saying we can't call the OP for theft because of the actions of the US government,

Edit: potential theft, we have no proof the OP went through with it.

Top Bottom