• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello GAF, I want to steal from a library

Permanently A

Actually, no. I dont troll. I was expressing a legitimate frustration at how Americans by and large are asleep when it comes to a lot of big picture stuff and how its a little funny to me that something like this wakes them up. No biggie.

I can convince the OP to not steal from their library with a post on this forum.

I can't stop the massive theft you described, even if I dedicated my entire life to it.

Its not a matter of being ignorant of the larger crimes, its a matter of the ability to actually cause a change.

leakey

Stop right there, criminal scum!

Seriously, though, thieves are scum. And stealing from an institution based on trust is just extra scummy.

213372bu

Banned
And that is exactly the problem. :)

bigstock-Confused-young-man-using-a-not-248365851.jpg

Someone must've laced me or something.

Edit: Also OP, don't steal. I said it before, but lots of families and people in need could really benefit from it. And usually, at least at my library, replacement fees don't cover the full cost of what was purchased.

FyreWulff

Use to work at a library.

We were still using printers from the 80s when I worked there. In 2005.

Their budget is low enough, and we already had problems with people taking rare books and ebaying them and eating the lost fee. Now they send everyone to collections.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Big Banks literally stole $16 TRILLION from the US Treasury, aka US tax-payer, in the biggest train heist in history in 2008. Most of the Fortune 100 pay zero or close to zero taxes while some of the biggest actually get massive multi-billion dollar subsidies straight out of tax payer pockets...have purchased and own all 3 branches of goverment to keep it that way...and yet continue to offshore living wage jobs by the millions despite massive profit windfalls and tax breaks. US trade policy is insane and encourages corporations to literally steal from the US Treasury. The US military is still stealing $2 billion PER WEEK to conduct a pointless war in Afghanistan while the corporate owned media ignores it...and now the mil-ind complex wants more billions to go back in to Iraq again...bc they did such a bang up job the first time. Giant pharmaceutical companies got a $2 TRILLION wet kiss from the Bush administration that allows them to monopolize and jack up prices on US citizens while the rest of the world can get far cheap(er) pharma from the same companies. Most corps in the US are allowed to operate monopolies or duopolies within their respective markets...suposed govt by the people, for the people anti-trust nowhere to be found...engaging in massive system wide price fixing which is tantamount to large scale theft from millions of Americans on a continual basis.

I could list an endless parade of instances of massive systemic theft that, when taken together and looked at from a macro-perspective, indicates the entire US economic system has become one giant shell-game con, top to bottom.

So, in that context, we're going to tell this guy its wrong and horrible to steal a $40-$50 game bc it "hurts tax-payers"? Lol In light of the way the US economy works in the real world this doesn't pass the straight face test.

So, yeah, I guess its wrong in an absolute sense...but lets not kid ourselves people. This is similar hypocrisy to how we are taught for years not to cheat on tests in school...and then get out into the real world and realize most of the biggest, most successful executives and companies have gotten where they are by cheating, lying, and stealing. And then we, as a society, admire them for their wealth, conveniently ignoring how they stole...er..."earned" it.

Id say dont take the game...figure out a way to buy it. But, if you do steal it I wouldnt say relatively speaking you're a bad person. Over the last few years alone, tax payers have literally been ripped off for TRILLIONS of dollars by the very corporations and govt institutions they trust. I dont think another $50 is going to hurt anyone. The US military steals and spends more than that on a rubber band or paper-clip.

Jesse-Pinkman-Breaking-Bad-Drinking-Water.gif

Right here. You're saying in the context you laid out that we can't say the OP is wrong. You're directly saying we can't call the OP for theft because of the actions of the US government,

No, thats not what I said and certainly not what I meant. If a bunch of people interpreted it that way then perhaps I didnt do a good enough job of being clear. You are free to condemn this guy all you want...after all, I said stealing the game is wrong in an absolute sense more than once. Anywho, I dont see the big issue here...I wrote something that I was hoping would have a positive impact on the discussion by bringing in some big picture perspective...but perhaps bc of how I wrote it a few people took my intent the wrong way. Miscommunications happen. I'll try to be more clear from now on guys. Now will everyone chill the hell out and have a drink, please? Lol

Given my quick reading of the last few pages, it seems that what neoemonk needs to do is straighten out the gazillion loopholes in the US tax code that allow for corporate welfare and wasting taxpayer dollars. Only then will he have built up enough good karma to steal a game from a library.

neoemonk

Use to work at a library.

We were still using printers from the 80s when I worked there. In 2005.

Their budget is low enough, and we already had problems with people taking rare books and ebaying them and eating the lost fee. Now they send everyone to collections.

Well the fee for a single game is capped at $10 at my library and they don't even send to collections until you owe at least $40.

toothed1

Banned
No, thats not what I said and certainly not what I meant. If a bunch of people interpreted it that way then perhaps I didnt do a good enough job of being clear. You are free to condemn this guy all you want...after all, I said stealing the game is wrong in an absolute sense more than once. Anywho, I dont see the big issue here...I wrote something that I was hoping would have a positive impact on the discussion by bringing in some big picture perspective...but perhaps bc of how I wrote it a few people took my intent the wrong way. Miscommunications happen. I'll try to be more clear from now on guys. Now will everyone chill the hell out and have a drink, please? Lol

o_O ... I'm backing away slowly.

213372bu

Banned
Well the fee for a single game is capped at $10 at my library and they don't even send to collections until you owe at least $40.

So what even makes you think that the replacement fee will bring you in the clear?

Wha?

Even though you know the fact that you're potentially taking that the game away, knowing that the library won't be able to replace it for that much as it costs, you still are commenting on how the library won't bring you into collections.

So like, are you trying to evade the replacement fee even if you potentially take this game?

Settin

If your response to me pulling a direct quote is "that's not what I said" then I can only assume you're trolling.

Edit: you're right, let's have a drink. Cheers!

Someone must've laced me or something.

Edit: Also OP, don't steal. I said it before, but lots of families and people in need could really benefit from it. And usually, at least at my library, replacement fees don't cover the full cost of what was purchased.

I think this discussion got off-track bc I was trying to make a big-picture point that didnt come off as clearly or as well as Id hoped. The ultra levels of snark really arent necessary. I was simply hoping to steer the discussion in a more productive direction by thinking of big picture stuff. I obviously missed the target in this thread. It happens.

Scottiths

Banned
Libraries have enough funding problems. They don't need you stealing their stuff. If you steal it they will stop offering games because people steal them and they are very expensive to replace. If you want more time with the game just check it out again.... not like it cost you anything to renew your library loan.

Not trying to be a dick, but Amazon Marketplace prices should never be used to illustrate any point regarding value, ever. The sellers regularly list the most absurd prices imaginable for OOP or unavailable stuff because they know people will either fall for it or be too lazy to research the real going rate on eBay (for example) or attempt to find it another way. What they list is not in any way indicative of actual market value in any way shape or form.

If your response to me pulling a direct quote is "that's not what I said" then I can only assume you're trolling.

Edit: you're right, let's have a drink. Cheers!

Lol Definitely not trolling, I was being sincere but obviously missed the messaging mark on this one. Oh well, it happens. Cheers to you too. :)

Libraries are awesome! Don't do this to them.

I remember as a kid there was a book series I liked about some teenage kid that was a superspy or something. It was a pretty obscure series despite the premise. The day that the newest book in the series came out, I checked my library for it and they didn't have it. But the lady at the desk looked it up and found the nearest copies in Florida, and for reference I lived in New England at the time.

GUESS WHAT? THEY SHIPPED THAT SHIT TO MY LIBRARY FROM FLORIDA.

And it was all free! And nowadays that pretty little library card can get you games and Blu-Rays too! Libraries are woefully underfunded, and its innovations like stocking games and movies that are keeping them running. So don't blow it :p

No, thats not what I said and certainly not what I meant. If a bunch of people interpreted it that way then perhaps I didnt do a good enough job of being clear.
Perhaps not, because you were implicitly condoning the OP stealing the game through not just the thread you decided to use as your soapbox (which, the truth aside, might be a bit of a tangent), but also by the things you said. You didn't have to explicitly say that the OP should steal the game, but by saying that it would be inconsequential to taxpayers if he were to,given everything else going on, it's not too hard to follow the logic through. Stealing it in the OP's case isn't just about the net damage, either; it's the principle of the thing.

I hope you realize that people are bewildered not because your post isn't "dumbed down" enough, but rather because it's barely related to the topic at hand. What we're having is a clear-cut case that has no use of relative speak. People are having none of your attempt to steer the discussion towards the big picture because that would obfuscate the picture we already have.

People can both be disgusted by small unlawful act as well as the big ones. Try making a topic about how you're planning to avoid paying million dollars of tax and see how well people would react to that.

Frog-fu

Banned
If you do end up being so scummy you actually steal it, I hope you get the biggest fucking bill they can legally slap you with, OP.

Thievery is for scum. Stealing from a public library is not just low, it's pathetic.

antitrop

Actually, no. I dont troll. I was expressing a legitimate frustration at how Americans by and large are asleep when it comes to a lot of big picture stuff and how its a little funny to me that something like this wakes them up. No biggie.

This is Gaming Side, brah

There is no miscommunication here. I understand perfectly what you're trying to say, but my question to you is why should all the instances of the government and banks and corporations committing theft matter in this discussion. We have no reason to frame this discussion about OP and his library against the "big picture".

It wasn't going to go to collections because I said I was going to pay the fee.

I also said a while ago I wasn't going to keep the game but I imagine it's "read thread title, read first post, get mad" for most people.

That doesn't change the fact that you're still stealing. The library still has to eat the cost (since you know damn well that metroid prime trilogy isn't $10 or whatever the fee is), do the paperwork, file the report, and if they want to get another copy (lord knows why they would with people like you) they'd have to buy it again.

People are mad because it's a shitty thing to do, and takes advantage of the trust system.

It doesn't matter if you aren't going to "keep" the game (and take advantage of the fact that the punishment is minimal, which is also a terrible thing btw), you still gained it by illegal means. And from a fucking library.

todd360

Isn't this kinda risking your neogaf account? It happened in the ebay thread. That was so much funnier than this thread could ever hope to be.

Edit: the one where a guy thought he was gonna be scammed by his buyer and proceeded to scam him first lol.

shockdude

I also said a while ago I wasn't going to keep the game but I imagine it's "read thread title, read first post, get mad" for most people.
In which case you might want to edit your first post and make your decision clear to everyone reading the thread. I went though all 8 pages and didn't notice you saying such a thing.

kmg90

Krejlooc

Banned

So you wanted to steal a $45 game from the library and give them $10 for it?

Isn't this kinda risking your neogaf account? It happened in the ebay thread. That was so much funnier than this thread could ever hope to be.

Edit: the one where a guy thought he was gonna be scammed by his buyer and proceeded to scam him first lol.

I keep seeing this ebay thread referenced and I'd love to read it. Link?

fedexpeon

Banned
It wasn't going to go to collections because I said I was going to pay the fee.

It is amazing how you keep trying to research this issue to ensure people that the loss potential is only "$10", and it isn't a big deal for such a small amount.
First was property taxes, and now you discovered the threshold point for the library to send a collection notice...were you trying to get your money worth first before the library forced your hands?

No one cares if you are willing to pay the fee or not.
People were responding to you because everyone literally thought you had a broken moral compass to even suggesting such an action against a PUBLIC institution of your community.
You can pay $100 in collection fee, but everyone will judge you for attempting to create a situation like that in the first place.

Surprised that so many people didn't know libraries have videogames. I usually don't check out games from there because my backlog is ridiculous already, but after checking out the online list I gotta say the collection is pretty awesome
Some of the newer releases:

Watchdogs) ps3, ps4, xbone, and 360 versions)
Mario Kart 8
Metal Gear V Ground Zeroes ( all console versions)
Dark Souls 2 ( all console versions)
Donkey Kong Country TF
Infamous for ps4
MLB14 the Show ( both versions)
South Park
Super Mario 3d world

OP is a scumbag for even considering stealing from a library for just a game.

You can get the game from either Best Buy or even Gamestop's pre-owned inventory without much hassle.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think this discussion got off-track bc I was trying to make a big-picture point that didnt come off as clearly or as well as Id hoped. The ultra levels of snark really arent necessary. I was simply hoping to steer the discussion in a more productive direction by thinking of big picture stuff. I obviously missed the target in this thread. It happens.

Nothing says "productive conversation" like coopting a discussion on the morality of stealing from a library to launch a sweeping, irrelevant soapbox rant on systematic government corruption contorted into a cynical and contradictory justification for petty theft from a public institution.

joecanada

I hope you realize that people are bewildered not because your post isn't "dumbed down" enough, but rather because it's barely related to the topic at hand. What we're having is a clear-cut case that has no use of relative speak. People are having none of your attempt to steer the discussion towards the big picture because that would obfuscate the picture we already have.

People can both be disgusted by small unlawful act as well as the big ones. Try making a topic about how you're planning to avoid paying million dollars of tax and see how well people would react to that.

Exactly right and to add to that, oh its only 50 bucks compared to corporate crime, so now we are all okay to steal 50 bucks worth of stuff from libraries? Yeah that won't affect them at all 50 X a few million people thieving from them.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
The Big Banks literally stole $16 TRILLION from the US Treasury, aka US tax-payer, in the biggest train heist in history in 2008. Most of the Fortune 100 pay zero or close to zero taxes while some of the biggest actually get massive multi-billion dollar subsidies straight out of tax payer pockets...have purchased and own all 3 branches of goverment to keep it that way...and yet continue to offshore living wage jobs by the millions despite massive profit windfalls and tax breaks. US trade policy is insane and encourages corporations to literally steal from the US Treasury. The US military is still stealing $2 billion PER WEEK to conduct a pointless war in Afghanistan while the corporate owned media ignores it...and now the mil-ind complex wants more billions to go back in to Iraq again...bc they did such a bang up job the first time. Giant pharmaceutical companies got a $2 TRILLION wet kiss from the Bush administration that allows them to monopolize and jack up prices on US citizens while the rest of the world can get far cheap(er) pharma from the same companies. Most corps in the US are allowed to operate monopolies or duopolies within their respective markets...suposed govt by the people, for the people anti-trust nowhere to be found...engaging in massive system wide price fixing which is tantamount to large scale theft from millions of Americans on a continual basis.

I could list an endless parade of instances of massive systemic theft that, when taken together and looked at from a macro-perspective, indicates the entire US economic system has become one giant shell-game con, top to bottom.

So, in that context, we're going to tell this guy its wrong and horrible to steal a $40-$50 game bc it "hurts tax-payers"? Lol In light of the way the US economy works in the real world this doesn't pass the straight face test.

So, yeah, I guess its wrong in an absolute sense...but lets not kid ourselves people. This is similar hypocrisy to how we are taught for years not to cheat on tests in school...and then get out into the real world and realize most of the biggest, most successful executives and companies have gotten where they are by cheating, lying, and stealing. And then we, as a society, admire them for their wealth, conveniently ignoring how they stole...er..."earned" it.

Id say dont take the game...figure out a way to buy it. But, if you do steal it I wouldnt say relatively speaking you're a bad person. Over the last few years alone, tax payers have literally been ripped off for TRILLIONS of dollars by the very corporations and govt institutions they trust. I dont think another $50 is going to hurt anyone. The US military steals and spends more than that on a rubber band or paper-clip.

qfqETxj.gif

hokahey

My library has new release movies and Wii/Wii U games. And I can reserve any book/movie/game from the entire district on line, they'll call me when it's in, and they have a drive through window for pick up. Since discovering all of this in December I have literally read thousands of dollars in books/graphic novels, beat thousands of dollars in games, and haven't paid a cent to Red Box.

I LOVE my library.

Not surprisingly, my bank account has gotten substantially larger.

redcrayon

Well, I'd be paying them the replacement fee so I don't know if it's stealing. And I can clearly see what portion of my property taxes goes to the library annually. I am one of the tax payers in this instance.
Hello GAF, I want to steal from a library

Yeah, it's theft.

Just because there's a small replacement fee to discourage people from being careless doesn't make it ok. If the only thing stopping you exploiting a valuable public resource is that the consequence is of a lower value to you than the act, that's pretty selfish. What if someone else wants to play it?

Your justification is also incredibly weak- just because everybody's taxes make a small contribution to something that they may or may not use doesn't mean you can justify theft in any way, in the same way that you can't just pop down to the park, dig up a tree and put it in your garden instead if you didn't sit in the park all year. The replacement fee for an item is deliberately low not because they are clueless, but so it isn't punitive to young people and the elderly who might not have much money, it's to encourage people to just let the library know rather than worry about a large fine, as accidents happen. The library pays for most of the cost of a replacement, you aren't being a 'savvy shopper' if you steal a valuable game or book, just exploiting something that relies on honesty to keep offering something of value to everyone.

Looking at it as 'if the fine is less than the value of the game, I'm stealing it' is just a disgusting self-centred line of thought with no concept of exactly how such places (and much of public services) run on the honesty of the vast majority of their users. If more people stole from libraries, the fines would get higher, and you'd probably have to pay a deposit. Either that or they'd close at an even faster rate than they are right now. If everyone stole or destroyed the flowers in parks, they wouldn't employ gardeners any more and would put cameras up instead. If everyone chose the line of action you are considering, we'd have much worse places to live, where nobody gives a shit as long as they 'get theirs'.

Top Bottom