• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Xbox One June 2014 sales more than double May 2014's sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

I'm wondering if even Sony may see slightly abysmal numbers going forward the next few month if many people are putting money on White PS4/Destiny bundles rather than picking up in-stock units.

Bgamer90

Banned
I feel like they would have used a bigger multiplier if the number was significantly more than double.

They couldn't say "triple" if it hit 200-230K. Is "2.5x" more eye catching than "more than double" for PR?

I would think the latter is a better statement since it would be easier for people to understand but that's just my opinion.

Guevara

Man, where does Microsoft go from here?

Can't really cut the price again soon, and the Halo collection is a long ways away.

That doesn't sound too good but not that surprising either. They could have had another low month so maybe the new sku did in fact help but we'll see how long the band-aid holds.

Was hoping for another One/Wii U face off though.

160k is really not that bad though...is it?

In comparison to Xbox 360 sales it is:

Xbox 360 sales:

June 2006 - 277K

June 2007 - 198K

June 2008 - 220K

June 2009 - 241K

June 2010 - 452K

June 2011 - 507K

June 2012 - 257K

June 2013 - 141K

If Microsoft really could only manage like 150-160K this month, that's fundamentally underwhelming in comparison to the precedent set by Xbox 360.

They really should have managed more sellthrough this month. Is the lack of interest indicative of a flawed value proposition?

It's just underwhelming. When you have Microsoft investors who are already hesitant about supporting the Xbox One, and it doesn't perform at the level of the PS4 or Xbox 360 before it...it puts Microsoft in an awkward situation.

Toki767

A month where they unveiled a new SKU with an official $100 price drop. In June of all months when graduation gifts for teenagers during the summer usually involve brand new video game consoles.

It's not horrible, but it's not good either.

You be the judge. Here is Xbox 360's numbers for June according to Aquamarine:
Xbox 360 sales:

June 2006 - 277K

June 2007 - 198K

June 2008 - 220K

June 2009 - 241K

June 2010 - 452K

June 2011 - 507K

June 2012 - 257K

June 2013 - 141K

If Microsoft really could only manage like 150-160K this month, that's fundamentally underwhelming in comparison to the precedent set by Xbox 360.

They really should have managed more sellthrough this month. Is the lack of interest indicative of a flawed value proposition?

Can't really cut the price again soon, and the Halo collection is a long ways away.

They always do a double game pack-in bundle, they will do that again this holiday I think, it pretty much says something similar in the original post Titanfall and Forza 5 is the popular one, maybe an alternate KSR and Forza 5 one for younger audiences

Evenflow

Um guys it says double since June 9th, not double the entire month of may outright ... So really we have no idea what the hard numbers are the way I'm reading it.

Isn't new CoD out that month as well, among other multiplats that can drive next gen console sales like AC Unity?

Chances are that multi plats will do more for PS4 than they will for XB1 imo.

They do have the COD marketing deal also which might help.

I expected this though to be honest, they don't have momentum. Usually the first 10-15m are the hardcore crowd and more seem to be going the PS4 route rather than Xbox. I have one and enjoy it but for me it certainly doesn't have that new console feel the 360 and original Xbox did.

Yeah, it was mostly expected by everyone for PS4 to win June, but as some folks mentioned on the NPD predictions thread, since it was a "price cut" month, it wasn't a sure result (like May, with watchdogs and ps4).

As for November, we'll just have to wait a few more months to see how things are shaking out closer to that month.

I never underestimate Halo, especially 4 Halos.

I think they win the month or at least a virtual tie.

That's true, halo is a big franchise, but it's still just a "hd collection/remaster". I'm still not so sure about it's sales potential to attract new people in order to beat ps4. I guess it all depends how strong Far Cry and CoD will be on PS4 that month to counter it.

I think we're looking at it wrong when comparing June/May sales. June isn't a surge, but rather May was a drop.

The fact that MS announced the new sku and faux-price drop in early May means they conceded a large amount of sales that month. Therefore it's really hard to tell what the June data means right now. Is this a surge in customers from the E3 coverage? Or people that simply jumped on the console once it was 399.99? I think the July numbers will actually be the most interesting.

But assuming that May was artificially low (which is likely true) automatically implies that some of June includes delayed price-drop sales. You've got ~230K over two months and there's no way to slice it that looks fantastic for MS's June.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Aqua, correct me if I'm wrong:

Xboxone April 2014 total (4 weeks): 115K for a weekly average of 28.75K
Xboxone May 2014 total (4 weeks): 77K for a weekly average of 19.25K
Xboxone June 2014 total (5 weeks): ~155K for a weekly average of 31K

So it's slightly above the weekly total before the price cut/unbundling was announced.

This offer the best picture I think. The announcement of the price cut practically collapsed May sales. We might factor in the fact that the price drop started with the second week in June, so the weekly average post price cut might be a little higher (although it might also be the case that a lot of people bought it in the post price cut week postponing their initial acquisition from May), but overall seems to have very little effect in the big picture.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Well, you can look at it as if they stopped the sales atrophy with the price cut.
For what it's worth this is what price cuts actually do. They virtually never accelerate sales, just simply bump and then slow/eliminate atrophy. The number of people "waiting" on each $x - $y cycle is relatively small. Instead the larger picture is people waiting til the time is right, which is exactly that.. more about time than price.

Anyway.. If it really is 154k for June... I actually feel bad for them. I mean granted the entire market is going to remain down from last gen thanks to the casuals moving on, but to have a strong rise for a gen and a half to having your only bright sales spot being "well we're not selling as bad as Wii U". That's a tall serving of humble pie.

Do we have to bring out the chalkboard again?
Pretty sure most Wii U owners finally got sick of seeing the chalk board. With that being said I think the only two realistic items you can put on there for the bone is MCC and Halo 5. Once those two are crossed off I have no idea what could really be left.

E3 hype doesn't sell systems in mass quantity.

True, it probably doesn't mean much but the consoles and some launch games move up the Amazon charts after e3. Last year Amazon said they saw huge pre-orders for next gen consoles after the conferences, I figured that stays true for any normal e3 and is part of the reason why June is a bigger month than May.

Could be 200K+ for all we know.

Then they'd have said: We (almost) sold tripled our May numbers.

t_wilson01

Good. Xbox one has some great games lined up for this year & the next. My wish is that ps4 & xbo are neck & neck for awhile so people can stop all the fan flame nonsense -.- It's so old constantly seeing people attack each other over freaking opinions
《゚Д゚》

I hope your hope never comes to pass. That would just open the doors for console parity and no one outside of Redmond wants that. If it wasn't for the low sales Microsoft would still be pushing their vision of the future.

shwimpy

I'm wondering if even Sony may see slightly abysmal numbers going forward the next few month if many people are putting money on White PS4/Destiny bundles rather than picking up in-stock units.
I'd think there'd be a decent amount of people buying a PS4 earlier to play TLoU, Madden, and Diablo 3. Plus, don't black hardware usually always sell better than white?

mo60

True, it probably doesn't mean much but the consoles and some launch games move up the Amazon charts after e3. Last year Amazon said they saw huge pre-orders for next gen consoles after the conferences, I figured that stays true for any normal e3 and is part of the reason why June is a bigger month than May.

Then they'd have said: We (almost) sold tripled our May numbers.

Triple will be 228K most likely if we look at the may numbers. They would have said more than 2.5 times if that happened.Since the article says more than double since June 9th wouldn't that be more than 38.5K every week after June 9th unless I'm missing something which will make it possibly over 174K+. I highly doubt the amount the Xbox one sold per week stayed consistently above 38.5K per week after June 9th.

They didn't say #1 platform so I guess PS4 still won the month. Not really surprising. While the XBO did have a price drop, it is still the same price as the PS4 for inferior hardware. Of course, you can make a case for superior software on XBO, but none of that software was released this month.

So I think the people at MS are not worried; they probably never expected to come out on top this month. What is important is that the console will be $399 when Master Chief Collection launches. That is their chance to carve out a lead, for a month or two.

NPD thread will be fun. I need to come up with a trolling angle for that thread, whatever the outcome ;)

More deals, more bundles (Halo MC bundle?). Right now there really isn't much else except wait until some of the big games come out.

They have exclusive marketing deals with Dragon Age and Evolve right? Advertise the fuck out of those games to associate them with Xbox. Maybe that will help a little.

freakzilla3000

No doubt the kinect-less and a strong E3 showing helped these numbers.... PS4 looks like an unstoppable monster though (at least in America).

Can't wait to see the official numbers tomorrow.

Percy

Banned

Not really, no, but I figured using 'fun' in what I believed was a clearly sarky fashion was a bit nicer than saying it's gonna be "saltsville" (or whatever it is you lot normally call it) up in here.

If you want me to be straight about it though: "I can foresee a lot of upset taking hold if PS4 ends up outselling Xbox One this month".

Better?

DNAbro

No doubt the kinect-less and a strong E3 showing helped these numbers.... PS4 looks like an unstoppable monster though (at least in America).

Can't wait to see the official numbers tomorrow.

well considering PS4 is outselling Xbone everywhere it's seems like unstoppable monster worldwide.

*cept Japan cause i forgot the situation there

:lol

I have a feeling my PS4 estimate is going to be too high, we'll see.

About all I think we can draw from this is that PS4 > XB1 for June considering they didn't say they were best-selling assuming they get early reports like we were talking about in the other thread

Doesn't say much though. I'm worried about my PS4 numbers as well

Asd202

They didn't say #1 platform so I guess PS4 still won the month. Not really surprising. While the XBO did have a price drop, it is still the same price as the PS4 for inferior hardware. Of course, you can make a case for superior software on XBO, but none of that software was released this month.

So I think the people at MS are not worried; they probably never expected to come out on top this month. What is important is that the console will be $399 when Master Chief Collection launches. That is their chance to carve out a lead, for a month or two.

NPD thread will be fun. I need to come up with a trolling angle for that thread, whatever the outcome ;)

Even if somehow MS wins November it won't be by much and early next year Sony has a better line up with The Order and Bloodborne so there going to get further away.

DanSaxon

PS4 was about double Xbox One's sales in May wasn't it?

If so that doesn't sound too impressive. I mean sure it doubled. But it doubled to reach PS4 level...

So the numbers the PS4 is selling aren't good ? Saying any product is selling at a rate qualitative to that of the PS4 is impressive.

So around 150K. That is terrible. Pricecut, E3 hype, 5 weeks... just terrible. I'm expecting a gap of atleast 80K between both consoles.

Yup. Plus delayed sales for May due to the early price cut announcement, it could drop further for August perhaps.

Isn't new CoD out that month as well, among other multiplats that can drive next gen console sales like AC Unity?

Chances are that multi plats will do more for PS4 than they will for XB1 imo.

Yeah.

AmyS

I hope Xbox One does better & better. I have a PS4, my brother has the One. I don't want to see this new current gen becoming a cakewalk for Sony, and above all, I want a healthy console/games industry in general for all dedicated game platforms as much as possible.

I also certainly don't want this gen to be another 7 or 8 years long like last. I still say five to six years would be fine (that was the norm) and therefore I want next gen to start in 2018, or 2019 at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom