• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

beril

First June for major home console

PS2 - 343,000
Xbox - 265,000 (month after the price drop, from $299 to $199)
Gamecube - 213,000 (month of the price drop, from $199 to $149)

Xbox 360 - 277,000
PS3 - 99,000
Wii - 382,000

PS4 - 269,000
Xbox One - 197,000
Wii U - 42,000

How long PS2 shortages lasted? Was difficult to find even during June 2001? Was the same for 360 in June 2006?

Doesn't really look good for the new generation. Is PS4 still the fastest selling console ever? I'm guessing it won't be for long as we're moving past the long period of Wii launch shortages, especially when considering the situation in Japan

zhao3gold

Banned
i think it's somewhat worrying that the top-selling console in a new generation is selling like a second-place console from the last two generations. the ps4 is doing fine by itself, but it feels like we're missing something here.

This is really a good catch. I guess it is due to some casuals go to mobiles.

If it actually outselling the XB1 WW like it's very likely then it's far too soon.

we can easily say without 3rd party games from 2015, Wii U cannot compete with Xbox one. This year Wii U has big system seller games Mario kart 8 and Smash along with 18 months of game library, so its doing ok compared to Xbox one which launched just 7 months ago and has no big exclusives or big library.

So there's a big possibility that is outselling WW these past two months? I didn't expect that at all.

Well I imagine that quite a bit of Wii U's gain in Japan is offset by the UK for XB1 but then Wii U has France and to a lesser extent Germany so I'd say it's highly possible

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So there's a big possibility that is outselling WW these past two months? I didn't expect that at all.

Basically due to mainland Europe and Japan. Everything we've seen from the Pal charts implies it's sales there are anything but pretty especially Germany where the console pretty barely even exists software wise.

In the entire top 50 this week xB1 doesn't have a single game in the charts not a single one. Not even the normal third party games will save that mess.

Not as much soon but rather a "Oh boy, I really wanna post this image, even though it is now factually incorrect, seeing how Mario Kart 8 seems to have revitalized the system's sales worldwide, but fuck reality anyway"-type of action.

Worldwide? Really? Japan seems to have gone back to sub-10k level even with Mario Kart out. US? We'll know next month. PAL territory? No idea.

how is ps4 going compared to the wii and ps2? clearly among home console is the strongest, but I can't clearly understand if it is relatively to the somehow struggling competition or in general sense

Just my opinion, but PS4 numbers are very solid. Everything else is ranging from mediocre to bad though so overall the numbers don't look too great which murks up the voerall picture of the industry. Let's...not even get to the dedicated handheld space which is just a bit sad.

goonergaz

What the 100$ drop did was basically move a lot of May sales (which were horrible) into June. The end result is not a net increase.

Basically been saying this since they announced the kinectless sku.

But even then it's not really a price drop, it's another option - maybe if they dropped another $100 off it might start shifting but at this stage I think it's clear they need to do something 'big' and something now - I recall in the UK they halved the price of OXB and offered early adopters a few games...if they don't do something like this I can't see Halo saving XB this time.

Bundy

Banned
Everything needs a price drop, part deux.

PS4 is mediocre and everything else is bad to awful, but the bar is so low right now that they've subverted expectations regardless.
lmao.....

Anyways....

What do we have now?
(estimated)

WiiU = 140k
XBone: 197k
PS4: 269k

Am I right? :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Little analysis for Xbox One sales in the last three months

Xbox One April - 115,000 ---> 28,750 per week
Xbox One May - 77,000 ---> 19,250 per week
Xbox One June - 197,000 ---> 39,400 per week

Now, Kinectless SKU was announced around mid-May (May 13th), and that had a clear impact on sales for the rest of the tracked period. It shifted customers from May to June.

Given how May is usually April x 0.87-0.90, without the announcement, probably sales would have been this

Xbox One May* - 100,000 ---> 25,000 per week

And since this is the prospect of May-to-June changes

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121564264&postcount=2448

Let's apply a 1.4 multiplier for June sales

Xbox One June* --> 140,000 ---> 28,000 per week

Now, the difference between actual May sales and theorical May sales without the announcement can represent a good part of the amount of demand that has been shifted from May to June. In this case, 100,000 - 77,000 = 23,000

These 23,000 customers are certainly part of the June sales. So, let's try to see what happens without these shifted demand from May to June to the actual numbers

Xbox One June without shifted demand --> 174,000 --> 34,800

So, the difference between what June would have been if there were no Kinectless SKU and what June is without the shifted demand from May to June due to the early announcement is 34,000 units for the whole month, a.k.a. 4,600 units per week.

This means that the new SKU attracted 34,000 people also outside of those who where already interested in the console, but then decided to not buy it due to the new SKU being announced way earlier than what seen recently. So...opinions: are these numbers considered good or bad, overall?

Later, I could do the same for Wii U, or just seeing the June-to-July MOM changes for home consoles, so we can start having a good idea of what we could expect.

GamerJM

Banned
Not as much soon but rather a "Oh boy, I really wanna post this image, even though it is now factually incorrect, seeing how Mario Kart 8 seems to have revitalized the system's sales worldwide, but fuck reality anyway"-type of action.

I guess it depends on your definition of "revitalized" and "saved," but personally I don't see MK8 doing either of those things from this month's data even with a percentage bump that big considering that the Wii U still sold sub-200k in one of its biggest months.

What was Saturns LTD in USA? We need to know if Vita has passed the Saturn test.
Yes yes it is pointless, so what <_<

Also, what would make good LTDs? GameCube's entire LTD of 21m is considered bad, while I have heard Xbox's 24m LTD to be not that bad. Or is this just a perspective thing that varies from gen to gen. 3DS' LTD will surely be good, but at the same time it would be low selling Nintendo handheld, making it look bad.

Jal

how is ps4 going compared to the wii and ps2? clearly among home console is the strongest, but I can't clearly understand if it is relatively to the somehow struggling competition or in general sense

Still above both but looking likely to drop below.

npd_home_201406zxql1.png

What was Saturns LTD in USA? We need to know if Vita has passed the Saturn test.
Yes yes it is pointless, so what <_<

Also, what would make good LTDs? GameCube's entire LTD of 21m is considered bad, while I have heard Xbox's 24m LTD to be not that bad. Or is this just a perspective thing that varies from gen to gen. 3DS' LTD will surely be good, but at the same time it would be low selling Nintendo handheld, making it look bad.

3ds is still lacking behind the gawd psp.

Yup probably on sale.

Murdered soul suspect just straight up died.

Thanks. Surprised to see it there, figured people would wait for the PS4/X1 version.

And yeah, damn shame about M:SS. I still haven't played more than a couple of hours, but it's a genuinely good game and it deserved to get some recognition.

Ah well, maybe it'll find a fan base if it ever hits Plus/GwG.

3ds is still lacking behind the gawd psp.

Yes yes, I wasnt denying that, but in some way 3DS is selling good.

Current 3DS LTD is already way ahead of N64 for example (40+ m vs 32m). And its very possible for 3DS to reach 60m+. Isnt that good LTD?

...Is N64s LTD even bad? Heavily outsold by PS1 yes, but were they bad?

In a time when was cool to be a WiiU doomsayer:

WiiU did a mediocre 140k in what is presumably after the release of its biggest system seller. Furthermore, my point still stands. Turnaround doesn't just mean having a hardware bump during the release of said exclusive.

Too soon for this?

lUKNptd.png

Wait 1-2 months.

LTD for games released this year, without console bundle.

Fit - 48k
TR - 1:99k, 4:179k
DKC - 285k
LRFF13 - 1:74k, 4:139k
ToSC - 77k
PVZ - 360:295k, 1:163k
TF - 1:1010k, 360:614k
ISS - 648k
FFHD - 3:276k
SPtSoT - 360:289k, 3:236k
DS2 - 360:227k, 3:218k
WD - 4:793k, 1:500k, 360:326k, 3: 255k
&#8734; - 753k

ToSC did really well considering its a HD remaster.

The real winner is FFX HD:

US : 276k + 50k = 326
JP : 577k iirc

US + JP = 900k+

WW its definitely over 1 million.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
TEARAWAY 67K
TW101 83K

Oh welcome back! The race continues.

The fact is the Wii U sales basically hadn't moved for any of Nintendo's moves until now. A single game was never going to completely reverse the console's fortunes. See Titanfall on the XB1 as a recent example. However, it does seem like Mario Kart 8 at least temporarily has caused a significant increase in Wii U sales, and hopefully will continue to increase its overall baseline. My guess is that starting in September, Nintendo is going to try to create a consistent baseline at least by themselves with Hyrule Warriors, Bayo 2 (w/ 1), Smash, Amiibos & Captain Toad for this year. In 2015, I could actually see a decent enough release schedule coming about (X, Splatoon, Kirby, Yoshi & Zelda to name some titles, along w/ Devil's Third and perhaps Fatal Frame), hopefully resulting in a decent baseline in early 2015 (decent to me is like >100K, but we'll see). If at least the Wii U can become the de facto current gen console for Just Dance, Disney Infinity & Skylanders (aka have the most sales for those) along with other things like Lego, it at least can be a solid 2nd or third place console in the US.

Bruno MB

Unsurprisingly, the last generation versions of Watch Dogs suffered a much softer drop than the next generation ones.

[PS4] Watch Dogs (Ubisoft) {27.05.2014} - 210,000 / 779,000 (-63%)
[360] Watch Dogs (Ubisoft) {27.05.2014} - 154,000 / 323,000 (-9%)
[XBO] Watch Dogs (Ubisoft) {27.05.2014} - 137,000 / 494,000 (-62%)
[PS3] Watch Dogs (Ubisoft) {27.05.2014} - 117,000 / 252,000 (-13%)

A week ago Ubisoft announced they had shipped 8 million units, that's some big channel stuffing. Retail sales combining Japan and US are about 2 million units. Let's say that in Europe it sold about the same as in the US, (hopefully next month we will have a real figure, don't let me down GamesMarkt) that would be around 4 million units between the 3 biggest markets. Digital sales + PC can't add too much to the final figure, so at least there must be a couple of million units sitting on retailer shelves.

Taking a look at the sales data that creamsugar has kindly shared with us I see that Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is an even more colossal flop than we previously thought. What a total disaster! and I'm really happy about it. That's the only way for Square Enix to learn the lesson.

Dark Souls II is having a disappointing performance, it had a good launch (308,000 units sold) but it is being very front-loaded (137,000 extra units since then). I still remember about that supposedly huge marketing campaign Bandai Namco Games was going to put behind it.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So if I'm not mistaken, Mario Kart 8 is already the second highest selling software SKU of the year thus far, only behind Titanfall on the XB1 (actually Watch Dogs PS4 might be slightly ahead unbundled atm, but I assume that won't continue for too long).

Vita = 15K

Also Aqua, how are MK8 US sales comparing to previous entries in the series?

Cream, could we also get an LTD for Mario 3D World?

goonergaz

Little analysis for Xbox One sales in the last three months

Xbox One April - 115,000 ---> 28,750 per week
Xbox One May - 77,000 ---> 19,250 per week
Xbox One June - 197,000 ---> 39,400 per week

Now, Kinectless SKU was announced around mid-May (May 13th), and that had a clear impact on sales for the rest of the tracked period. It shifted customers from May to June.

Given how May is usually April x 0.87-0.90, without the announcement, probably sales would have been this

Xbox One May* - 100,000 ---> 25,000 per week

And since this is the prospect of May-to-June changes

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121564264&postcount=2448

Let's apply a 1.4 multiplier for June sales

Xbox One June* --> 140,000 ---> 28,000 per week

Now, the difference between actual May sales and theorical May sales without the announcement can represent a good part of the amount of demand that has been shifted from May to June. In this case, 100,000 - 77,000 = 23,000

These 23,000 customers are certainly part of the June sales. So, let's try to see what happens without these shifted demand from May to June to the actual numbers

Xbox One June without shifted demand --> 174,000 --> 34,800

So, the difference between what June would have been if there were no Kinectless SKU and what June is without the shifted demand from May to June due to the early announcement is 34,000 units for the whole month, a.k.a. 4,600 units per week.

This means that the new SKU attracted 34,000 people also outside of those who where already interested in the console, but then decided to not buy it due to the new SKU being announced way earlier than what seen recently. So...opinions: are these numbers considered good or bad, overall?

Later, I could do the same for Wii U, or just seeing the June-to-July MOM changes for home consoles, so we can start having a good idea of what we could expect.

Interesting, but the bottom line is - with the 'price drop' and fact some would have held off buying in May due to early announcement of that PS4 still comfortably won.

So, bad.

Good to see the Wii U numbers went up. Hopefully Nintendo can somehow keep that momentum.

I don't actually have a Wii U yet but I plan to. I'm just waiting for the right price. Mostly between the $200-$230 range.

Anybody know a site where I could get one at that price yet? 0_0

The problem with arguing that the consoles need to compete with the mobile market is that the mobile market is really only making money from less than 1% of the userbase. There's zero guarantee that one of the console manufacturers would attract enough whales from their mobile game of choice to counter the inevitable loss of revenue from going 99% free to play games and pissing off the hardcore gamers. Besides, we've already seen what happens when you piss off the hardcore gamers in the WiiU and Xbone sales.

AniHawk

Good to see the Wii U numbers went up. Hopefully Nintendo can somehow keep that momentum.

I don't actually have a Wii U yet but I plan to. I'm just waiting for the right price. Mostly between the $200-$230 range.

Anybody know a site where I could get one at that price yet? 0_0

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150200

if you are interested in the refurbished one, you can do the mario kart 8 deal too, which ends at the end of this month.

The N64 did 20m~ LTD in the US. Barely a drop from the SNES 23-25m~. It was Japan and the lack of JRPGs that hit the N64's WW LTD harder.

we can easily say without 3rd party games from 2015, Wii U cannot compete with Xbox one. This year Wii U has big system seller games Mario kart 8 and Smash along with 18 months of game library, so its doing ok compared to Xbox one which launched just 7 months ago and has no big exclusives or big library.

Nintendo exclusives will be bigger than anything yet announced for X1 (exclusives). The bigger the worldwide gap between the ps4 and x1, the less it will matter if the x1 gets full on third party support. I can see an scenario where Nintendo outdoes Microsoft thanks to Japan, mainland Europe and the dominance of the ps4 in US/UK.

On the subject on hardware sales, all 3 did better than expected.

Though PS4 is just on another level compared to the XB1 and WiiU.

Anyone have gaf prediction averages?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Cream, I know I might be getting on your nerves asking for that every month, but do you happen to have an update on Yoshi's New Island :)?

ps3ud0

Love to see that chart without the first 2 months on it just to get an idea how strong the new consoles are since their very good launch months

ps3ud0 8)

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150200

if you are interested in the refurbished one, you can do the mario kart 8 deal too, which ends at the end of this month.

Hmm...good to know.

Although I'm very picky when it comes to this stuff and usually always get games/consoles new. Hate getting used stuff (except cars XD).

Still, thanks for the links :D.

Top Bottom