• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #148 - "The Right Questions"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Theme - "The Right Questions"

As always, you may interpret the theme literally, metaphorically, or however you please.

Word Limit: 2,000

Submission Deadline: Friday, July 25 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, July 26, and goes until Monday, July 28 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Optional Secondary Objective: Play Script

Tell your story through your characters by writing it as a script for a stage play. With the exception of short introductory descriptions (of the setting and the characters) and minimal stage directions, your submission should be almost exclusively dialogue. See here for a sample format.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the theme as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Submissions
"Middle of the Pack" by Aaron
"Ascension" by Azih
"Broyles '24" by ThLunarian
"No Irish Need Apply" by Mike M
"Frankie The Can Man" by FlowersisBritish
"You Gotta Know the Rules" by Tangent
"Realistic" by Cyan
"A Late Night Traffic Stop in Los Angeles" by QuantumBro
"WWGBD" by Metaphoreus
"Purify" by Charade

Well, I do need an excuse to write, so I may partake in this for the first time. If I choose to do the secondary objective, do the 2,000 words cover just the dialogue or what?

Cyan

Banned
Well, I do need an excuse to write, so I may partake in this for the first time. If I choose to do the secondary objective, do the 2,000 words cover just the dialogue or what?

Metaphoreus can clarify, but my assumption would be you'd count everything, stage directions and descriptions included.

Ourobolus

Banned
All right, I should probably submit something since I've been absent for a f--
*reads secondary*
--oh for fuck's sake.

/exits stage right

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

Metaphoreus can clarify, but my assumption would be you'd count everything, stage directions and descriptions included.

For the sake of simplicity (i.e., so our computers can keep count for us), nothing is excluded from the word limit, regardless of format. If it becomes apparent that the secondary objective isn't feasible given the word limit, I wouldn't be opposed to increasing it somewhat solely for those attempting the secondary objective.

All right, I should probably submit something since I've been absent for a f--
*reads secondary*
--oh for fuck's sake.

/exits stage right

It's optional :p

Ourobolus

Banned
Man up, Ouro.

playbill_2272_9809375

Carlisle

Oh hey! The CWC! I remember you, you sly minx. It's been so long... can we just pick up where we left off? Are you still single? Then yes, I believe I shall enter you.

For the sake of simplicity (i.e., so our computers can keep count for us), nothing is excluded from the word limit, regardless of format. If it becomes apparent that the secondary objective isn't feasible given the word limit, I wouldn't be opposed to increasing it somewhat solely for those attempting the secondary objective.

It's optional :p
Thanks for clearing that up

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm gonna be in Barcelona over the next week, but I'm gonna try to get this done either way. Don't know about the secondary objective though, heh. Not if I'm gonna write this quickly enough.

This one isn't materializing as fast as the last one. 400 words in and I still haven't decided whether to scrap this idea and try something else. Think I'll put it away for the night and come back tomorrow.

Tell your story through your characters by writing it as a script for a stage play. With the exception of short introductory descriptions (of the setting and the characters) and minimal stage directions, your submission should be almost exclusively dialogue. See here for a sample format.

Play Script
GFz7rxg.gif

Cyan

Banned
Wooo, having a writing hangout with Tangent. Just finished my first draft. This is like the earliest I've had a first draft done in months!

I didn't do it as a script, but it could potentially work as one. I'd have to alter some things, though, and maybe not for the better. Hmm...

Cyan

Banned
Ok, so an idea I was kicking around with Tangent yesterday: who'd be up for a virtual writing hangout? Basically, we'd work out a time and set up a Google+ Hangout, probably next weekend when there's a new challenge up to write for. We could chat for a bit, then do some writing, and have occasional chat breaks. (Something vaguely like what Mary talks about here, maybe with briefer writing periods.)

If anyone's shy about showing their face, you don't have to have your camera on in a Google Hangout. Or even a microphone: you can just talk in the text chat.

Working in a group is a good way to stay motivated and actually get something done--there's a little bit of group pressure, there's camaraderie, etc. We can talk about story ideas or places we're stuck, or whatever else helps with our writing.

Should be a good time. Let me know if folks are interested.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'd be up for that, depending on when.

(Despite myself knowing full well that I'm not going to be making this challenge. My ideas are not coming to fruition lately -.-)

Mike M

Nick N
Ok, so an idea I was kicking around with Tangent yesterday: who'd be up for a virtual writing hangout? Basically, we'd work out a time and set up a Google+ Hangout, probably next weekend when there's a new challenge up to write for. We could chat for a bit, then do some writing, and have occasional chat breaks. (Something vaguely like what Mary talks about here, maybe with briefer writing periods.)

If anyone's shy about showing their face, you don't have to have your camera on in a Google Hangout. Or even a microphone: you can just talk in the text chat.

Working in a group is a good way to stay motivated and actually get something done--there's a little bit of group pressure, there's camaraderie, etc. We can talk about story ideas or places we're stuck, or whatever else helps with our writing.

I'm interested, but my availability during wedding season is spotty.

Nezumi

Definitly interested. Would be chat only for me because I neither have a camera nor a microphone, unless pseye works with a pc.

Cyan

Banned
Oh. Damn it. I just realized the OP specified a play script rather than a movie script. Well... shit.

Anyway.

Here's my story in movie script format!

Realistic (1750)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom