• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X (Cross) releasing in 2015 (Xenoblade Chronicles X in the US)

Status
Not open for further replies.

onilink88

TBH I think they want to make it clear that anyone can pick this up even if they haven't played the previous installments, not that Takahashi will not bring back the themes that are already quite explicitly present. I doubt they'd know if he's doing anything deliberately. I mean, the argument from some Xeno fans is that Xenoblade is not connected the the rest of the games, but this game might end up changing that in at least some respect.

I'm not denying that Takahashi's going to bring back some recurring themes of the Xeno series (pretty evident he is by the story trailer), and even assuming the Treehouse guys are not fully aware of Takahashi's direction for the plot, there exists a couple of major disconnects between Xenoblade's world and X's that more or less prevent any kind of continuity between the two.

Major end-game spoilers:
It's important we understand what Shulk and Alvis have done at the end of Xenoblade, and what happens to the world as a consequence. Shulk asks Alvis to recreate the universe so that it no longer needs Gods like Zanza and Meyneth. However - and this is an incredibly important nuance - he does not restore it to it to its previous natural state. Why do I say that, and why is that important? There are still remnants of Klaus's perversion of the universe's natural laws, one namely being ether. Ether still exists at the end of Xenoblade; they use High Entian technology (and tech. in Xenoblade's world is powered by ether) to restore Fiora's body.

Now, with that in mind, take a look at this:
ib1rd2dNPIyyRB.png

The attack the Doll uses to to decapitate the アンフィコエリアス (Amphicoelias, which is now called アダマン・ミレザウロ - Adamant Millesaur in English, I thnik - as a pointless aside), 反物質バスタード (近接), translates to "Antimatter Bastard (close-range/melee/whatever)". Antimatter is the key term there. It tell us what kind of technology they're using, but more importantly, it tells us that X's world abides by the natural and correct laws of the universe and the scientific principles that we understand based on them, as opposed to Xenoblade, where everything consists of ether and not matter.

Furthermore and continuing off of my first point, Earth is not restored to its pre-Klausfuckery state; the Earth as we know it, with all of its countries, peoples, etc. - the same Earth (of the distant future) that explodes in X - is simply not the same as the one that's reborn at the end of XB.

What X is, from what I'm seeing, is a game that incorporates an amalgamation of certain ideas and premises from past games, but largely remains its own thing. Now, it's true that Takahashi's said that he always leaves room for sequels in his works, and we could get a veritable Xenoblade sequel at some future point, but right now, there's this enormous gap between the worlds of this these two games for me to think that they're in any way related.

Riki

I've said it so many times before.
X is a sequel to XB in the same way FF6 was a sequel to FF5.
They share themes and elements, but they aren't in the same universe at all.

Any chance these videos were made by a GAFer =P? Surprised it hasn't been posted on here, they seem to have been made by someone from Japan that knows the Xeno lore well as well.

They are good and deep information that could be drawn from the trailers etc, #2 has spoilers for Xeno series, mind (Guy started with the narrator to voice the first video, second one hired a professional narrator to read it XD):

Xenoblade Chronicles X Analysis: #1 DOLL
Xenoblade Chronicles X Analysis: #2 WORLDVIEW
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Opening & NLA cut scene w English subtitles

Channel also did a remix of Xenoblade's soundtrack

I need so much more of these but with the women voice of #2

moolamb

Yay this thread!

I've been watching Gundam Unicorn to curb my enthusiasm for this game. Sawano's music definitely is... interesting. It feels flat a lot of the time, but there are maybe a couple of incredible high moments in each episode where it just hits the right notes.

I get a feeling that Xenocross is gonna sound a little less 'fantasy', and a little more 'take itself too seriously'.

As an aside, Gundam Unicorn's story is pretty convoluted and lacking but it's really satisfying that mecha urge. Animation is incredible.

Those analysis videos are really good, they may end up being off the mark with a lot of stuff, but a hell of a lot of thought went into it.

I dunno, I have a sneaking suspicion this will be related to Xenoblade in some important way.

I'm not denying that Takahashi's going to bring back some recurring themes of the Xeno series (pretty evident he is by the story trailer), and even assuming the Treehouse guys are not fully aware of Takahashi's direction for the plot, there exists a couple of major disconnects between Xenoblade's world and X's that more or less prevent any kind of continuity between the two.

Major end-game spoilers:
It's important we understand what Shulk and Alvis have done at the end of Xenoblade, and what happens to the world as a consequence. Shulk asks Alvis to recreate the universe so that it no longer needs Gods like Zanza and Meyneth. However - and this is an incredibly important nuance - he does not restore it to it to its previous natural state. Why do I say that, and why is that important? There are still remnants of Klaus's perversion of the universe's natural laws, one namely being ether. Ether still exists at the end of Xenoblade; they use High Entian technology (and tech. in Xenoblade's world is powered by ether) to restore Fiora's body.

Now, with that in mind, take a look at this:

The attack the Doll uses to to decapitate the アンフィコエリアス (Amphicoelias, which is now called アダマン・ミレザウロ - Adamant Millesaur in English, I thnik - as a pointless aside), 反物質バスタード (近接), translates to "Antimatter Bastard (close-range/melee/whatever)". Antimatter is the key term there. It tell us what kind of technology they're using, but more importantly, it tells us that X's world abides by the natural and correct laws of the universe and the scientific principles that we understand based on them, as opposed to Xenoblade, where everything consists of ether and not matter.

Furthermore and continuing off of my first point, Earth is not restored to its pre-Klausfuckery state; the Earth as we know it, with all of its countries, peoples, etc. - the same Earth (of the distant future) that explodes in X - is simply not the same as the one that's reborn at the end of XB.

What X is, from what I'm seeing, is a game that incorporates an amalgamation of certain ideas and premises from past games, but largely remains its own thing. Now, it's true that Takahashi's said that he always leaves room for sequels in his works, and we could get a veritable Xenoblade sequel at some future point, but right now, there's this enormous gap between the worlds of this these two games for me to think that they're in any way related.

I'm not in any way disagreeing with your theory, but there are two thoughts I have regarding your thought process.

First, anti-matter could be Earth or Alien technology, not necessarily something they've picked up from Mira.

Second, there's no telling what power source the Machina were using after Shulk
recreated the universe
, it probably wouldn't have been a good idea to stay reliant on the blood of a dead god as your fuel though.

Come to think of it (Xenoblade mid-game spoilers)
DO the Machina use ether for their technology? The Mechon did, but the only source of ether is the Bionis's blood (via the wound caused to Bionis from Mechonis's sword, harvested at the Mechon base in Sword Valley).

The Machina predate that battle by quite a long time, and nothing inside the Mechonis's body suggests it also runs on ether.

wsippel

Banned

Major end-game spoilers:
True, but
we know Alvis lacks creativity - he's a computer after all. Which means it's possible he actually restored the universe as it was before the experiment blew everything up (minus the experiment itself, of course - and god, if there ever was one), but put the world of Xenoblade somewhere else in the universe, potentially thousands of lightyears away from earth. The idea is that he could do that from memory, no creativity required. If there still was ether in the universe he recreated, humanity probably wouldn't know and wouldn't know how to utilize it. The scenario in X could be the result of minor glitches that occurred because Alvis tried to restore the universe, but it's not quite the same as ours thanks to insufficient data or the need to add in elements Klaus came up with to keep the Xenoblade world alive. And that world could theoretically be Mira I guess, as X would take place a long time after the events of Xenoblade - the experiment seemingly happened in the near future from our perspective, whereas the destruction of Earth in X appears to be much further away.

onilink88

I'm not in any way disagreeing with your theory, but there are two thoughts I have regarding your thought process.

First, anti-matter could be Earth or Alien technology, not necessarily something they've picked up from Mira.

Hm? I didn't say it came from Mira. It's most certainly Earth technology, though. I mean, right now, it's extremely costly and impractical to cultivate, but with X, we're dealing with the distant future where there could be efficient production methods, and where stuff like weaponized antimatter could be possible (hell, if they're doing that, I'd take a swing at it and say they're using antimatter annihilation propulsion for their ships and whatnot).

/assderivedarmchairscience

Second, there's no telling what power source the Machina were using after Shulk
recreated the universe
, it probably wouldn't have been a good idea to stay reliant on the blood of a dead god as your fuel though.

But it's High Entian tech (and we know that it uses ether as an energy source - for example,
the old High Entian trade ship that crashed in the colony 9 area that houses the "Cylinder Hanger" containing ether fuel cells that powered it
) that
restores Fiora's body,
, not the
Machina's (though, I'm sure theirs would be powered by ether energy, as well; I'm not aware of any other form of energy in XB's world).

*Interesting tidbit: the machina require a bit of water and ether in order to subsist (therefore, I don't think it'd be a stretch to assume that they use ether energy to power their tech).

EDIT:

Saw your post, wsippel. Not going to be around for the next couple of days, so I'll get back to you (and It's Reyn Time!, if I need to) some time on the weekend. :)

Any chance these videos were made by a GAFer =P? Surprised it hasn't been posted on here, they seem to have been made by someone from Japan that knows the Xeno lore well as well.

They are good and deep information that could be drawn from the trailers etc, #2 has spoilers for Xeno series, mind (Guy started with the narrator to voice the first video, second one hired a professional narrator to read it XD):

Thanks!

Definitely, they should at least give us a little something in between the directs featuring the games. I would love to see the 2D Tanaka designs right about now :(

Yeah, would love to see those even just as a further teaser for more of the character designs.

But it's High Entian tech (and we know that it uses ether as an energy source - for example,
the old High Entian trade ship that crashed in the colony 9 area that houses the "Cylinder Hanger" containing ether fuel cells that powered it
) that
restore Fiora's body,
, not the
Machina's (though, I'm sure theirs would be powered by ether energy, as well; I'm not aware of any other form of energy in XB's world).

*Interesting tidbit: the machina require a bit of water and ether in order to subsist (therefore, I don't think it'd be a stretch to assume that they use ether energy to power their tech).

You're totally right, I'd completely forgotten about the ancient High Entia pod-ex-machina. And I didn't even know that Machina need a little Ether to survive, or I'd just forgotten it.

Riki

Ether is mystical energy that can come in a variety of forms and be used for just about anything.
AKA: Deus Ex Machina juice

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Thanks for posting these links!!!

I really hope they treat SP differently in this new game. It was the only thing I didn't like about the first. As much as a completionist as I am, I couldn't bring myself to grind the same monsters for dozens of hours to max out the SP trees. I know this is only a problem for maybe one percent of players, but it drove me nuts. It would be nice if either new party members had all the SP you had gained, or the level range is increased for gaining more SP from mobs.

synce

Has anyone said if US version will have dual audio? I'm sure the disc will have enough space for it but this is Nintendo

I really hope they port the first one over to Wii U. Like, badly. I bought it, but life was kind of a mess when it came out and I couldn't ever get into it, and ended up getting rid of it for a bit of side cash, but the idea of playing it before the new one comes out with the game pad or pro controller without having the Wii remote connected to it sounds appealing.

I really hope they port the first one over to Wii U. Like, badly. I bought it, but life was kind of a mess when it came out and I couldn't ever get into it, and ended up getting rid of it for a bit of side cash, but the idea of playing it before the new one comes out with the game pad or pro controller without having the Wii remote connected to it sounds appealing.

I hope so, too. After messing with this game in Dolphin, it seems like the developers put a lot of hi-rez assets into the game. Check out the photo on Dunban's nightstand:

Golnei

I hope so, too. After messing with this game in Dolphin, it seems like the developers put a lot of hi-rez assets into the game. Check out the photo on Dunban's nightstand:

Considering the rest of the textures wouldn't be out of place on the PS1, it stands out all the more.

onilink88

As you guys probably know by now, the latest EDGE issue features a "Nintendo blowout", with looks at various upcoming Wii U titles. I got my hands on in for the Takahashi interview and thought I'd relay it back to you guys. It's pretty anemic and sheds light on stuff most of us have probably figured out by now.

Anyways, the first question is about how Monolith is transitioning into the world of HD development. Takahashi says since X is their first HD project, they don't want to set hard-to-achieve goals, and they'll work on steadily building up key skills. Their primary goal with X is to lay the groundwork for HD development, so as to make sure they don't overreach themselves and cause problems.

*Next, they ask why he's moving away from "a class-based system for player characters", and if he felt that his previous works were too restrictive in that regard.* He tells them that, unlike their previous games, the protagonist doesn't have a fixed personality and serves as the player's avatar, so naturally he/she wouldn't have a fixed class, gender, or personality. He says they felt that this was the best approach for this game.

After that, they inquire about the size of the world. Takahashi explains that since the Dolls are five times the size of a person, they expanded the size of the world equally as to not marginalize the sense of scale we had in the first game. And while the game is actually bigger than five times Xenoblade's landmass, they've made sure that players will feel comfortable navigating it.

The next question asks how they're approaching the side quest system as to address some of the criticism its gotten in Xenoblade. He responds that objectives and relevant NPCs will be displayed on the map, and that they've added features to make questing more convenient.

Finally, they query as to the use of the gamepad. Takahashi says it'll be displaying important info relevant to the game's systems and your objectives on it, as well as serving as a navigation tool similar to what you'd see with tablet computers.

*I don't get this question. They're moving towards a class system in X, not away from it.*

And that's about it; really poor interview, if you ask me. Also, if the pic of Takahashi in the magazine is recent, he's looking pretty scruffy these days. :p

For those that want to know, the "Wii Speak" section of the mag (which this interview is part of) also comprehends...

...a two-page interview about TLoZ U with Aonuma
...a two-page interview about SSB with Sakurai
...a single-page interview about Mario Maker with Tezuka
...a single-page interview about Splatoon with Nogami
...a single-page interview about Devil's Third with Itagaki
...a single-page interview about Yoshi's Wooly World with Ebisu and Tezuka
...a single-page interview about Hyrule Warriors with Hayashi and Aonuma

True, but
we know Alvis lacks creativity - he's a computer after all. Which means it's possible he actually restored the universe as it was before the experiment blew everything up (minus the experiment itself, of course - and god, if there ever was one), but put the world of Xenoblade somewhere else in the universe, potentially thousands of lightyears away from earth. The idea is that he could do that from memory, no creativity required. If there still was ether in the universe he recreated, humanity probably wouldn't know and wouldn't know how to utilize it. The scenario in X could be the result of minor glitches that occurred because Alvis tried to restore the universe, but it's not quite the same as ours thanks to insufficient data or the need to add in elements Klaus came up with to keep the Xenoblade world alive. And that world could theoretically be Mira I guess, as X would take place a long time after the events of Xenoblade - the experiment seemingly happened in the near future from our perspective, whereas the destruction of Earth in X appears to be much further away.

You thought I forgot about you, didn't you? Well, honestly... I sorta did. It was a hectic time for me, and you just slipped my mind. Sorry, man; that was mighty rude of me.

The scenario you describe could happen. The only thing I can counter with is that I'm not sure that ether and matter can exist in the same universe. Matter is defined as what comprises all entities with a mass, whereas ether is defined as (according to the Xenoblade wiki) the building block of life that all beings require in order to survive. Very similar to matter in nature and function, the difference being we're formed of matter, and they of ether. The problem here is that if the humans of Earth don't know about ether, well... that's a pretty big problem, isn't it?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Maybe they were asking if he was moving away from a class system where each party member was a locked class and he explained stuff. The way it is worded with that question makes the interviewer sound like an idiot.

Riki

I hadn't even really thought of having your quest and mission objectives on the gamepad. It will be so nice to be able to see them without scrolling through menus.

Appreciate the summary.
Figured it wouldn't be to spoiler-y since it being a multi nintendo developer interview.

I'll go on a media blackout when they start showing off new locations. I want to discover that stuff on my own.

But until then, any written info to 100 hr game is cool (excluding story of course)

I hadn't even really thought of having your quest and mission objectives on the gamepad. It will be so nice to be able to see them without scrolling through menus.

Me either.

That gamepad is gonna be so much more convenient for RPGs

wmlk

So, I started watching Gundam Unicorn today. If Sawano's offering is anything like what it is in the beginning of Episode 1, I'll be very happy.

Sawano is still hit-and-miss, though. Unicorn is just a hit so far.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Being a newbie to the Xenoblade universe(i played Xenogears and all 3 Xenosaga games years and years ago), but unwilling to fork out the cash to buy the Wii version, i hope the Wii U entree is enough of a new start to not completely confuse people..

Did they say anything about it being a direct sequel or a spiritual successor?

Riki

Being a newbie to the Xenoblade universe(i played Xenogears and all 3 Xenosaga games years and years ago), but unwilling to fork out the cash to buy the Wii version, i hope the Wii U entree is enough of a new start to not completely confuse people..

Did they say anything about it being a direct sequel or a spiritual successor?
It is just a spiritual successor.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ok great, thank you for the info, will definitely be picking this up provided there's a story. My only concern is whether or not its a story based adventure or some kind of MMO thing. Do we know anything about the main character or the setting or is it a classic RPG type deal where you make your own character and do like choice branches

Lumyst

And that's about it; really poor interview, if you ask me. Also, if the pic of Takahashi in the magazine is recent, he's looking pretty scruffy these days. :p

That facial hair clashes with the hair on his head, haha. He has that "working overtime" look to him, like he stayed at the office overnight and skipped shaving :p

moolamb

Ok great, thank you for the info, will definitely be picking this up provided there's a story. My only concern is whether or not its a story based adventure or some kind of MMO thing. Do we know anything about the main character or the setting or is it a classic RPG type deal where you make your own character and do like choice branches

It's definitely story based, definitely not MMO. Watch the treehouse footage here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKKiODpn6Fg

onilink88

I've gathered up all of the wildlife we've seen thus far in X, and I've attempted to translate their names:

If you spot any errors in my translations or notice that I've missed anything, let me know. :)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the fauna design in this game is among the best I've ever seen - from a video game or otherwise. My favorites have to be...

...the "amphicoelias" for its dizzying size, its cephalofoil head, and those long, expanding thingamabobs on its back
...that, er... mutant reptile reindeer thing with the moss/some sort of vegetation growing on its back
...the flying thing with all those fins that makes whale noises (reminds me of a "globster" I once saw)

Also, I don't know if you guys have noticed, but the aerial animals (like those prawn-looking things, the whale-like creatures among the former, and the fin-y, whale noise-making things) all look like creatures we'd see inhabiting our waters. I half-expect to run into an alien equivalent of a megalodon when I'll be flying through the skies. :p

It makes you wonder, too: if the water population is out floating about, what can we expect to be swimming in the oceans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom