• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 trailer- Sons of Samedi

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I hope they didn't pay top dollar for the voice actors...

They hide the drugs by turning them into bulbs...clever.

I like how they are basically making every gang totally crazy awesome. This game is gonna be awesome.

pr0cs

Welp, the two gang videos thus far have been more interesting than the ones in SR1 so it's a good sign.
No notable voice actors (from my ears anyway) from this new video though.

raYne

RobertM said:
Better than Little Jacob which I understood half the time.
The hilarious thing about that is the subtitles they used for him weren't even correct all the time either. :lol

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Shadowlink123 said:
I don't understand why people Bash this game, It looks pretty cool.

Saints Row seems far more contrived IMO. Less organic.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
What's up with the Oct. release date? Does THQ not remember that half of SR1's success was because everyone involved knew and understood that it was basically GTA's little cousin? Don't get me wrong, I really really liked Saint's Row, but I (and people I know) only bought it because it was released during the slow summer period...

RobertM

Himuro said:
This game is looking like everything I wanted from GTAIV. Rivalry between gangs, a serious gang story, lots of customization and open ended gameplay.
I'm with you dude, and if this game is somewhat successful, I want to see Rockstar producer to punch himself in the nuts.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
GDJustin said:
What's up with the Oct. release date? Does THQ not remember that half of SR1's success was because everyone involved knew and understood that it was basically GTA's little cousin? Don't get me wrong, I really really liked Saint's Row, but I (and people I know) only bought it because it was released during the slow summer period...

Little cousin? It was better than GTA the day the demo hit

traveler

Not Wario
Is every single SR2 thread going to turn into "X feature/character/etc. in SR2 is so much better than Y in GTAIV?"

raYne

Himuro said:
How doesn't it?
It's comparable in cutscenes (character models, lighting etc), but the city and vehicles are still a bit too plain and clean/shiny. So I'd agree and say it's comparable, but it's not all that close. Particularly in non-cutscene views.

That said, SR2 getting backlash is becoming his thing. So I wouldn't get too worked up about what he said.

edit:
Though this doesn't have that crappy paint filter going on. So that's a bonus.

Kayas

Neo Member
Well that trailer was useless, but I enjoyed the first game quite a bit and can't to play the next one.

GDJustin

Agent Icebeezy said:
Little cousin? It was better than GTA the day the demo hit

I liked SR1. I'm on your side, here.

I've just seen this many, many times. A company releases a new IP in Q2 or Q3 when there isn't a lot going on, and it's able to break out and become a hit. Then they release the sequel right in the middle of the Q4 rush and seem shocked when it gets ignored.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if SR2 were being released within the next couple weeks, I'd probably be buying it. But since it's releasing in Oct. I'm probably going to have to skip it. Fallout 3, Fable 2, Dead Space, SOCOM, Rock Band 2, Little Big Planet, GH World Tour... all those games come out right around it. What the heck were they thinking? And those are just the titles that have overlapping demographics... I'm not even listing RPGs, or the big games that preceed it in Sept...

szaromir

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
:lol

This game is going to receive one hell of a backlash once people come back down to Earth.
GTA4 already did bring people back to Earth, everyone is giving now a fair judgment:lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
szaromir said:
GTA4 already did bring people back to Earth, everyone is giving now a fair judgment:lol
Actually, I'm glad GTAIV turned out the way it did. Now more people know how much alot of reviewers suck

GDJustin said:
I liked SR1. I'm on your side, here.

I've just seen this many, many times. A company releases a new IP in Q2 or Q3 when there isn't a lot going on, and it's able to break out and become a hit. Then they release the sequel right in the middle of the Q4 rush and seem shocked when it gets ignored.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if SR2 were being released within the next couple weeks, I'd probably be buying it. But since it's releasing in Oct. I'm probably going to have to skip it. Fallout 3, Fable 2, Dead Space, SOCOM, Rock Band 2, Little Big Planet, GH World Tour... all those games come out right around it. What the heck were they thinking? And those are just the titles that have overlapping demographics... I'm not even listing RPGs, or the big games that preceed it in Sept...

Saints Row shipped close to 2 million copies, that is a large base to cater to for a sequel. Also, the install base when the original was released vs this release, SR2 will do another 2mill.

I think fans of the original will definetly pick this up. Add on top of that the many that found GTAIV dissapointing or a step back and I think they have a good chance of doing rather well.

Granted there is alot of games coming out this fall. This genre of games has a HUGE fanbase.

If this trailer was for a movie, I'd say this one was "I think I'll watch it when it comes to DVD" material. Ok, but nothing amazing.

GDJustin

cartoon_soldier said:
Saints Row shipped close to 2 million copies, that is a large base to cater to for a sequel. Also, the install base when the original was released vs this release, SR2 will do another 2mill.

...That ignores my point completely. Like, literally completely.

I'm one of the 2M SR1 owners, and I won't be buying SR2 (at launch) because of its release timing.

THQ thinks SR is a AAA franchise that can stand up to Fallout and Guitar Hero, but it isn't. It's a B or B+ franchise that can do very well for itself, but only if it's released when there isn't a ton going on.

See also: Mercenaries 2. I've actually written an article about this exact subject. I interviewed LucasArts about the release timing of the original Mercenaries (it was released in Jan., which is normally where games are sent to die), and LucasArts attributed a large part of the game's success to that timing. It dominated the first quarter, but would have been completely ignored had it been released even 4 weeks earlier. Lo and behold... the sequel is going up against the big boys.

SR and SR2 are a great parallel.

Is the game going to sell well? I don't know. Maybe. I'm just not sure how you can sit there and say it's a smart decision to put the game up against all the titles I listed, compared to bumping it's release up a bit, unless they absolutely need that time to finish dev and have no choice.

MMaRsu

Banned
GDJustin said:
...That ignores my point completely. Like, literally completely.

I'm one of the 2M SR1 owners, and I won't be buying SR2 (at launch) because of its release timing.

THQ thinks SR is a AAA franchise that can stand up to Fallout and Guitar Hero, but it isn't. It's a B or B+ franchise that can do very well for itself, but only if it's released when there isn't a ton going on.

See also: Mercenaries 2. I've actually written an article about this exact subject. I interviewed LucasArts about the release timing of the original Mercenaries (it was released in Jan., which is normally where games are sent to die), and LucasArts attributed a large part of the game's success to that timing. It dominated the first quarter, but would have been completely ignored had it been released even 4 weeks earlier. Lo and behold... the sequel is going up against the big boys.

SR and SR2 are a great parallel.

Is the game going to sell well? I don't know. Maybe. I'm just not sure how you can sit there and say it's a smart decision to put the game up against all the titles I listed, compared to bumping it's release up a bit, unless they absolutely need that time to finish dev and have no choice.

I think Saints Row 2 has the chance to outsell Fallout 3. I don't think Fallout 3 will be a huge mainstream hit, since it's not a fps, but an rpg and the gunplay looks to be severely lacking at this point ( going by previews and video's ).

Not saying that I'm not psyched for Fallout 3, because I think it's going to be fucking awesome, but I think SR2 might outsell Fallout 3.

Top Bottom