• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #149 - "Faux Pas"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
I'm pretty sure I can just put the link here for you guys and you'll be able to join. Hopefully that works and we don't need to do something more complicated.

I assume a good old-fashioned Google account will work. I have no idea how Google Hangout works. You darn kids and your newfangled technology.

Cyan

Banned
Here's the link (quote to see):

Let me know if there's any trouble getting it to work. I'm absentee just now; be on in a minute.

Mike M

Nick N
For those not privy to the G+ Hangout today...

Fox Pass

The hen cocked her head to one side, as her species was wont to do. She narrowed her eyes as she looked the glossy identification card over. “I don’t know,” she said, sliding the card across the hardscrabble ground outside the hen house with her taloned foot. “I’ve never heard of the Office of Hen House Inspection before.”

The fox’s expression remained unchanged, wearing that slight smirk of one possessed with self-confidence that is forced to engage with their intellectual lesser on a regular basis. Clasping his glossy black front paws together before him in a gesture of askance, he asked, “Madam… I’m sorry, what did you say your name was?”

“Henrietta,” the hen bawked in response.

“Of course, how very droll,” the fox replied in a voice as smooth as silk sheets. “Madam Henrietta, do you know what the Office of Hen House Inspection uses as its primary means of pursuing its mandate in the inspection of hen houses?”

Henrietta turned her head again, focusing one beady eye on the smiling fox. “Well, seeing as how I’ve never heard of it, it seems as though it would follow that I wouldn’t know what its… its…” her voice trailed off.

“Primary means of pursing its mandate in the inspection of hen houses?” the fox
offered helpfully.

“Yeah,” Henrietta said, coming as close to smiling in relief as her beaked face would allow. “That thing.”

The fox adopted a look of studious contemplation and nodded his head in acknowledgement. “That’s all well and good,” he said. “In fact, this is exactly how we prefer to operate over at the oh hi.”

Henrietta looked around in bewilderment. “Hi who?”

“No no no no, my dear sweet thing. O-H-H-I. It’s an acronym for Office of Hen House Inspection.”

Henrietta gave a blank stare. “An acro-what?”

“Acronym, it’s an acronym,” the fox sighed in exasperation. “A word made from the first letters of other words.”

“I see,” Henrietta said in that precise tone that indicated that she did not at all see and was desperate to end the conversation before her ignorance could be further exposed.

“Anyway,” the fox continued, picking up the previously dropped thread of conversation, “we over at the OHHI—that’s the Office of Hen House Inspection, remember—prefer to conduct surprise inspections.”

“Well,” Henrietta said warily, “that’s all well and good, but I’ve still never heard of any such thing.”

The fox spread his paws before him in presentation. “Precisely! What better way to ensure a integrity of a surprise inspection than to make it so surprising that the residents of the hen house have never even heard of it?”

The eye that Henrietta had facing the fox went unfocused, as though she were staring at something on the distant horizon. The fox could veritably hear the clockwork turning in her small head as she processed this information, though in his estimation there was probably only enough room in that skull for a few cogs and perhaps a flywheel.

“That… does make sense,” Henrietta said at long last, just before the fox had thought that she had perhaps spontaneously fallen into a waking coma. “We’re all certainly surprised at your arrival, that’s for certain.”

The fox nodded knowingly. “It’s quite all right madam, this is exactly how these affairs are supposed to occur.” With a sweep of his forelegs, he gestured to the gangplank leading into the darkened interior of the henhouse. “Now, shall we proceed with the inspection?”

“Of course, of course,” Henrietta clucked amicably, striding up the wooden plank ahead of her guest. At the top of the ramp, she pulled up short and spun on her heel. “Just a minute,” she said, her eyes narrowing in suspicion, “are you sure that you aren’t a fox?”

The fox blinked in surprise at the sudden accusation. “Madam, certainly not! Foxes all work at the, uh—Foreign Office of… Xylophones.”

Henrietta’s gaze remained unchanged. The pads of the fox’s feet began to sweat from the sudden nervous onset.

“Okay,” Henrietta eventually said, her expression softening. “I should know better than to argue with an officer from the Office of Hen House Inspection.”

“Indeed,” the fox said, a wave of relief washing over him. “After you, madam,” he said, licking his lips as Henrietta disappeared inside the shelter before him.

"Write about bears having sex"
“Honey,” Natasha’s voice came from the darkness near him.

“I’m not going to get any honey right now,” Boris grumbled. “Go back to sleep.”

“Not that honey. I mean you dear.”

“I’m not going out to get any deer right now either,” Boris grumbled some more. “That’s even worse than getting honey right now.”

There was a pause in the darkness of the cave. Boris’s eyes were heavy and leaden, and it didn’t take long before he drifted back off to sleep.

“Honey, are you awake?” came Natasha’s voice again.

“No!” Boris growled. “I’m hibernating! And so should you!”

“I can’t sleep,” Natasha whispered, her muzzle so close Boris thought that he might feel her fur on his ear. “I’m feeling to frisky.”

Suddenly, Boris didn’t feel too sleepy anymore. And that’s where baby bears come from.

-The End

"A time traveler arrives early to a party, years before it's scheduled to happen."
So as you may or may not be aware, I’m part of an online writing group where I compete with a bunch of anonymous strangers on the interwebs to win the accolades of the rest of the strangers. It’s all in good fun, even though I’m secretly self-conscious that I spend far more time than I should reading and writing up critiques for everyone that may or may not always be appreciated. I am not, after all, a professional writer or editor, so the chances are high that I don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about.

Except of course when I’m talking about animals, that I’m usually pretty on the ball about. Gotta put that college learnin’ to some purpose, right?

Anyway, as an experiment one time, a bunch of these aforementioned strangers decided it might be an interesting idea to get together online in a Google Plus Hangout (surest sign of my approach to middle age is that I didn’t quite know what the fuck this would actually entail) and try and cobble together an impromptu writing group. I was all about it though, as the sharing of writing and feedback is one of the few things that bring something that might be mistaken for enjoyment in my cold, dead heart.

The problem was, I didn’t have anything to write about. I had already come up with my entry for the week, but wasn’t ready to share it with the others. I spent the first round of writing kicking out the secondary idea I had come up with as just a piss take to do. Then the second round came by, and all I had to go with was “bears having sex.” That one was considerably less successful than the two previous stories I’d come up with so far.

The third entry, though, I was bone dry. I had nothing left in my creative well on tap to write out. In desperation, I pleaded with someone to give me a prompt, anything that would help spur the creative machinery of the mind and help me get something going. Mostly I was met with derision for wanting to take a prompt from a group of people that were seemingly having a hard enough time coming up with a prompt of their own, but someone eventually gave me something:

“A time traveler shows up for a party years too early.”

Okay, that was something. That immediately opens up a can of worms of time travel paradoxes, however. Does the person throwing the party know that they’re going to throw the party that far ahead of time? Does the attendant showing up years early set into motion the events that would lead to the party being thrown in the future? Is this Terminator time travel rules, or is it Back to the Future time travel rules? Or does it just make shit up as it goes along like Looper or Time Cop?

This was all giving me a headache, so I went down to my kitchen to get a glass of water so I could take some pain killers. I was fighting my way back through the horde of cats that had amassed at my feet (I was in the kitchen, so naturally they assumed it was to feed them), when all of a sudden there was a “Blorp!” in my living room! I screamed in a manner that was not at all like a little girl, and wheeled around to face this unexpected incursion into my home. And who should I see there, standing in the rubble of what used to be my chaise lounger before it was destroyed by some sort of temporal displacement field?

BATMAN!

“Batman!” I called in surprise. “What are you doing here? We talked about this, I’ve got a restraining order against you.”

“No, you don’t understand!” Batman coughed.

“Oh, I understand perfectly well,” I assured him, reaching for the phone. “I’m calling the police.”

“Wait!” he cried. Something in his voice gave me pause. “I’ve come to warn you! Something terrible is going to happen!”

My hand hovered over the receiver. “What? What’s going to happen?”

A pained expression came over Batman’s face. “I… forget…”

“You came to the past to warn me about something terrible that’s going to happen that you’ve forgotten what it is.”

“Don’t blame me!” Batman exclaimed. “One of the side effects of time travel is that you lose most of your memory! For Christ’s sake, man, didn’t you ever watch Quantum Leap?”

“Calling the police,” I said as I picked up the phone.

“Wait!” Batman cried again. “I planned for this outcome! I can use the power of prep-time to overcome any obstacle! I wrote it down, just give me a second…” He started fiddling with his utility belt, apparently endowed with the memory that he had written his warning down, but not which pouch he had placed it in.

Eventually he found it, holding it aloft in triumph. “Here it is!” he cried. He unfolded the note, and read from it aloud: “See, I wrote it all out, it says… ‘remember the terrible thing that’s going to happen.’”

We both stared at the note for a brief moment. “Fuck,” he said.

“Police,” I said, going for the phone.

“Wait!” he implored once more. “Okay, so I don’t remember what it was, and I didn’t write it down! But I remember that it was really, really bad! Bad enough that I risked coming back in time to tell you, knowing that the side effects would include massive memory loss and catastrophic failure of molecular cohesion!”

“Hold up,” I said. “Isn’t this almost exactly how an issue of Squee! by Jhonen Vasquez went down?”

Batman tried to answer, but his jaw melted off his face as he dissolved into an unsightly puddle of his constituent elements. I can only imagine that the impending disaster he was trying to warn me about was how hard it was going to be to clean that shit out of my carpet.

LEGENDS OF BATMAN!!!

Ourobolus

Banned
Thanks for the hangout guys. Lots of fun, got some good writing in. I will say the gratuitous nudity was a bit much for me, but I suppose you have to take the good with the bad.

My internet just went bad, so I wasn't able to stay till the end. Was fun, and I got a bit of writing for my story done. Thanks for hosting it Cyan.

Nezumi

Except for my shitty internet connection and the fact that I still don't know what to write for next week I really enjoyed this. Was fun talking to you guys.

Sober

Sorry had to drop out right at the end, just remembered I had to be somewhere (or got reminded anyway). Was fun though, should do it more often.

Charade

I will say the gratuitous nudity was a bit much for me, but I suppose you have to take the good with the bad.

I know. What was Mike thinking?!

I also had a lot of fun, thanks Cyan for putting that together. I gotta get a mic though if we do it again...

Cyan

Banned
That was cool, thanks for the fun hangout, folks!

I feel like I got pretty much what I wanted out of it, which was to hang out with some Writing-GAF peeps and to get some writing done.

For the folks who didn't make it, the format we went with was this:
-ten minutes chatting
-half-hour writing
-rinse and repeat through three sessions of writing
-mics off during the writing session, with any chat done through the text chat window
-most of us had mics, but several people just used text chat throughout. plenty of folks with no webcams.
-some folks worked on something for the challenge, some worked on other projects, some did freewriting.

Personally, I spent the first writing session writing an outline for a vague story idea I'd had, then the second two actually writing it (I'm probably two thirds to three quarters done). Two thirds is way the hell further than I usually am on a challenge story at this point, so I'm pretty happy with that. If other folks also found it useful, we should totally do this again in future.

For future reference, setting up the hangout was pretty easy. The schedule coordination was done via Doodle, and the hangout itself was started using this link. That gave me a shareable URL that others could use to join the hangout, which was posted here using email tags.

And as happened this time, everyone should generally feel free to work on any kind of writing they want, whether that's a challenge piece, another project, or just messing around with something and getting unblocked. In future, I would probably do the same thing I did this time: come in with a few little snippets of story ideas for the challenge, use one session to write up an outline for the one I feel like writing, then the next two to start actually writing it in "shitty first draft" mode.

Too bad Tangent couldn't make it. Which means there is still no real physical evidence that Tangent is not my imaginary alter ego. :O

P.S. Nezumi's accent was disappointingly non-embarrassing. I feel lied to.

Mike M

Nick N
I had a pretty good time today, even if I spent all my writing time just fucking around with stupid shit as demonstrated above. I think the next time I'm able to participate (My participation will be spotty, I gotta do the family man thing on weekends), I'll probably use that opportunity to actually work on some revisions on the draft of what I already had written. Would have done it today, but the most recent draft wasn't on this computer, so you get fox passes and Batman.

On a completely unrelated note, a while ago I signed on to beta test a writing platform/social media site, and it just went live this afternoon a little after the Hangout ended.

www.inkins.com

Here's a concept video of what they're shooting for. It's not there yet, not even close. Hell, the editor doesn't even work just yet (They let me know they're working on it), and pieces are currently limited to 12 of 2K words each. It's got a ways to go, but you all are welcome to join me in breaking it.

Fanfiction incoming!

The Differential (1938 words)

No one ever writes fanfiction for these things, but I think it's allowed since I remember seeing a previous challenge with that as the theme. I had a lot of fun writing this one.

Sober

That being said though, if you just started speaking in German I think we would all just collectively smile and nod and agree with what you said.

Zakalwe

Banned
Reading through past winners, man we've got some good writers here.

I've written something, will sub it this evening once I'm sure it's edited as best it can be.

Really looking forward to reading everyone's entries, curious how you're all going to interpret it.

P44

Quote for the link, my first attempt at doing this and indeed writing in about 6 years, since high school, so let's see how much a science degree has worn away any ability I had :p

I've called it RED, but the title in the doc is faux pas because I forgot to update the title after planning it :p

Shit, it's 2000 words, exactly.

Now that it's not 4 in the morning..

I went for the convergence side target, but the main problem I had was character building in such a short space of time and words in some sense. Some of them probably come off as a little one dimensional, but space constraints really didn't help that. I probably want to work on dialogue the most, I love exposition, but dialogue to me does not come...not as naturally, but I at least don't want to write it as much when I can paint the world a little more.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Did a couple quick last minute edits cause I just got out of work. Sorry if its littered with grammatical mistakes and the like.

Dip

It should be mentioned I tried for the challenge. Password is
neogaf

Tangent

"En Los Amigos" (1878 words)

Ashes, I apologize for the first sentence of the second paragraph. And while I'm at it, I apologize for any other offensive actions or comments that were said in this story!

this prompt sucked!

Well time for bed! I'll get to compiling the stories tomorrow morning.

Only got 500 words, my idea to make a social commentary on upper class swedish socialites didn't quite work.
I had an awesome pun though:

"I said faux pas."
"Ja, ett fårpar. Det var väl det du beställde?

Zakalwe

Banned
So, is the etiquette that we choose our top three and provide feedback/critique on each sub? I'm not the most confident writer, so critiquing others is not something I find comfortable.

If it's what's expected I'll give it a shot, I don't want to get all meta in here. ;_;

This has been a lot of fun. All I've managed to write over the past year is scraps of ideas and first chapters to novels that never happened. Finishing something, as short as this is, feels great.

Reading through the other subs has been fun too, lots of different interpretations and some imaginative ideas. Looking forward to the next one already!

Ourobolus

Banned
So, is the etiquette that we choose our top three and provide feedback/critique on each sub? I'm not the most confident writer, so critiquing others is not something I find comfortable.

If it's what's expected I'll give it a shot, I don't want to get all meta in here. ;_;

This has been a lot of fun. All I've managed to write over the past year is scraps of ideas and first chapters to novels that never happened. Finishing something, as short as this is, feels great.

Reading through the other subs has been fun too, lots of different interpretations and some imaginative ideas. Looking forward to the next one already!
Pick top 3 for voting purposes. You can still critique everyone's actual writing, not just top 3.
Critiquing everyone's work is optional, but highly encouraged.. We all want to get better!

Zakalwe

Banned
Pick top 3 for voting purposes. You can still critique everyone's actual writing, not just top 3.
Critiquing everyone's work is optional, but highly encouraged.. We all want to get better!

I worded that poorly (not a good sign), when I said "each" I meant all.

As I said, I'll give it a shot. I don't really know what I'm doing so I don't feel particularly qualified, but it'll be good practise to think about critiques as I'm sure it will help me recognise flaws in my own work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom