• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

I don't think it is simply PR. This information was learned from Geoff Keighley's "Final Hours" series which is some of his best journalist works on gaming development (and some of the best journalistic pieces on games in general, or at least I think so).

Well, i guess thats the best info we´ll ever get on that issue. I might as well believe it.

shandy706

Well I'd imagine Sony wouldn't have put Lara in that gamer's mural if it was exclusive back in May... :p

Hey now...the mural has been fixed :p

fonvff.jpg

Seriously though, I'd think...with all the places listing it...someone, somewhere would have gotten a notification to do so. Otherwise, they all just sort of assumed, lol.

EdgeXL

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times in this thread, but do we know for sure if this is a true console exclusive or just timed?

Microsoft's wording makes me think it is only timed but the Crystal Dynamics guy's tweet makes me think otherwise.

Has there been confirmation either way?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I always said MS will use bribery, moneyhats and marketing to try and win the console war. It would never being on their own merits. They certainly don't have the more powerful hardware nor the studios compared to Sony.

I have both systems and I prefer my Xbox One. They seem to be doing fine on their own merits to me -- especially with Spencer in charge and the constant updates to the OS every month. :)

Well, i guess thats the best info we´ll ever get on that issue. I might as well believe it.

Yeah, there really hasn't been any conflicting information on it either. I don't think this situation is the same though -- TitanFall was a new IP by a new studio (even if it has major talent behind it) while Tomb Raider is a pretty huge franchise. This is probably just business as usual, but that's the gaming business for you.

Chobel

I don't understand. That's what getting an exclusive is, though....?

No, you can still fund games that otherwise wouldn't exist (SO, Scalebound), or do pay money for a game that supposedly would be multipaltform and stop other versions of the game from existing. I'm talking the second part.

bullshit if the game is good people will buy it

tomb raider 2013 was an amazing game and if the trend continues people will get an xbox to play it. or wait 6 months or a year.

the people who yell the loudest are in the minority

Bullshit. Right back at you. They knew they fucked up when they apologized to their community.

I just can't explain it anymore if you do not get it. Sorry.

To be fair, your answers were pretty vague. You said legally then sales instead of well, that this guy's said below. But thanks anyways for trying.

Because if they say "its a timed exclusive" then its basically the gaming equivalent of a lame duck. Everyone who was thinking about purchasing another system for it, is going to sit out and wait, and all that money that MS paid is more or less wasted. The ambiguity is basically what MS paid for, since they can create the illusion that its a locked-down exclusive without having to actually be one.

Oh, I see.... Hmm.. But they wouldn't have to do that if.... *shrugs*

It's cool though, eventually they will have to explain it like everyone else. Didn't EA have to explain themselves regarding Titanfall and Insomniac with SO etc etc. But I understand them trying to wait out the media circus of the situation.

This notion that a new Tomb Raider won't sell due to a relatively small install base, or will fail to noticeably move systems, or that S-E or CD will feel the wrath of spurned gamers and be held responsible and crucified, is beyond ridiculous, like much of this thread.

It's still one of the most famed IPs in gaming. It may have faded since its heyday, and whether MS considers it worth whatever they spent for the privilege to host it is on them, but the immense iconography Tomb Raider boasts is going to absolutely going to count for something, even if it only amounts to a purchase incentive on Bone's part.

Meanwhile, we have a Bloodborne thread with people un-ironically saying that a new IP (fantastic as it looks) is going to help shift millions of consoles.

There are fewer flights of fancy more fanciful than the passions of zealous console warriors. This is exactly the kind of thing MS needs to do to catch up, and you can expect more of it until they do.

This. A few dozen people on a message board are not equal to the millions of video game playing people who will see it only on Xbone and think, "cool. I'll buy it."

can we make a damn FAQ for the people who keep bringing up Bayonetta 2, Bloodbourne, and even god damn Titanfall? It's getting embarassing having to read the same dumb argument brought up every "exclusive" thread.

Neff

A post like this from someone who was posting some truly embarassing rants about The Last of Us (And people who like it specifically... "Not real gamerz!") to rile up other users a month ago is incredibly rich.

Keep it in your pants, chief.

Well, I was right, wasn't I?

PFD

It's obviously a timed exclusive. Every time they said the words exclusive, holiday 2015 was uttered in the same sentence.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
for the millionth time, timed exclusive DLC, while still bad, is not NEARLY as bad as this tomb raider situation

people can be upset about tomb raider but still buy Destiny and not be a hypocrit

I am sorry but that is being hypocrite. And you are indeed supporting the same shitty practice.

Salex_

This is exactly the kind of thing MS needs to do to catch up, and you can expect more of it until they do.

Err...I don't agree with that. They should be making games from their 1st party studios and hiring developers to create new IPs (or even revive dead IPs) for them like Nintendo and Sony (We saw Sony do plenty of the latter today).

Preventing established games from coming to other platforms after the game was already announced for every system (aka the game was already going to be funded) is a shitty thing to do. The only consumer benefiting from this are fanboys. The whatever amount of millions they used to keep a big multiplat IP from appearing on other systems could have been used for another game.

Eusis

So is it timed?
Is it not timed?
You're not going to officially hear it's timed until another version gets announced. Likewise we won't know for sure it's NOT timed until we see them boasting about a full on exclusive.

But think about what makes more sense here in lieu of any harder announcements: it's a long running, multiplatform series that's done reasonably well from a major third party. If SE goes for a full on exclusivity then either Microsoft has more money than sense (which they probably do anyway) or SE is really fucking dumb or desperate.

JP

It's always a bit of a shame when Sony & Microsoft do this but it is understandable. I wasn't keen on the first but it was OK, it wouldn't have been a launch game for me but it's nice when you have the choice. With a bit of luck being on the one console will allow them to push the hardware more as they did a pretty poor for Xbox users with their last game.

icespide

Banned
seems at the time of E3 at least, it was not exclusive. from Microsoft's E3 press release:

Bu3goL3IYAE4tf3.png:large

from @jasonschreier's twitter account

BGMNTS

I always said MS will use bribery, moneyhats and marketing to try and win the console war. It would never being on their own merits. They certainly don't have the more powerful hardware nor the studios compared to Sony.

Its almost as if its a business or something.....

Steroyd

Not sure how this gets anyone to buy a XB1. It will probably help U4 sales in holiday 2015 and hurt TR sales in mid 2016 but I'm sure SE won't care after receiving the loot from MS.

Oh they will care when they wonder why the sequel Tomb Raider: Lara Begins "only" sells 2 million or some nonsense.

Err...I don't agree with that. They should be making games from their 1st party studios and hiring developers to create new IPs (or even dead IPs) for them like Nintendo and Sony (We saw Sony do plenty of the latter today).

Preventing established games from coming to other platforms after the game was already announced for every system (aka the game was already going to be funded) is a shitty thing to do.

They've never been very good at that. In fact they usually walk away from console development early.

I am sorry but that is being hypocrite. And you are indeed supporting the same shitty practice.

Explain? If timed content is optional and doesn't hinder the base game is shitty. Then this must be even more shitty. People don't even get the base game lol nor the extras that will ultimately fall into the timed exclusivity.

N.Domixis

Banned
I think any logical person is comfortable saying that this is timed. That said, the thread title should be changed to something like "The Rise of the Tomb Raider (probably timed) exclusive to Xbox."

No, this game is timed. Its better this way, now people have the choice of waiting to get the ps4 version. Otherwise the are being tricked into getting an xbo

Kill3r7

No. Denying a platform a game that was announced for it is a shitty practice.

Agreed. If Sony/MS/Nintendo foot the cost of development I would have no problem with it but buying a game that's already in the works is kinda shitty.

MS could've easily spent that money on actually improving their barren 1st party dev teams so they could actually get exclusives instead of putting a band-aid to a bigger problem.

Who says they are not?

It takes a while to get a studio/project up and running. The issue is that MSFT needs exclusive games now not two or three years from now. I wouldn't be surprised if they paid for another exclusive game between now and E3.

It will tarnish MS representation no more then sony's will be tarnished by having Hellblade,
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Volume times.

I don't think that's true at all. It's going to create much more of a backlash against MS and SE imo. I for one am pissed at both of them for this. I would have bought an Xbox probably within a year up until this news.

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times in this thread, but do we know for sure if this is a true console exclusive or just timed?

Microsoft's wording makes me think it is only timed but the Crystal Dynamics guy's tweet makes me think otherwise.

Has there been confirmation either way?

No and the more they include holiday 2015 as a stipulation every time the more it leads to believe it's really timed with some of the most deceptive wording ever.

Owzers

My initial reaction was that of pity. This is what it's come to for Square Enix and Microsoft? You have to nab a Tomb Raider sequel? Whatever you gotta do i guess, not sure if i'm jumping on that Sunset Overdrive bundle since there isn't much i want to play on Xbox One after that game, if i had an xbox one i'd probably give Tomb Raider a rent since i liked the first one enough, but I'm not exactly throwing money at MS now, we all know it will come to PS4 eventually too.

b0bbyJ03

well, as someone who only plans on owning a PS4 and PC (do not like the values that MS has put forth with the XB1 and do not plan on supporting them) this is upsetting. I don't blame MS for doing it but this just goes to show that in the corporate world there is nothing but the bottom line. CD does not care about the customers of other platforms that have supported them in the past and that is a shame.

RexNovis

Banned
Yea this is not going to work out for MS the way they thought. All they've succeeded at doing is pudding people off. The fact that it's a moneyhat is so obvious everyone knows it.

I can't beleive Square Enix went along with it.
Didn't the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition have nearly 2:1 on PS4 over XB1? This is just nuts. They must've thrown a heap of money on the table.

One could say its not about winning at this point. If you want to stay in the war-wording you could say we are in the last days of the war, where the "defeated" party retreats while murdering, stealing and raping anything in their path to cause as much chaos as possible.

/dunno if serious Oo

goonergaz

MS could've easily spent that money on actually improving their barren 1st party dev teams so they could actually get exclusives instead of putting a band-aid to a bigger problem.

This is what irks me, it's like Halo again where they take a game from an audience rather than create a game for an audience...it's just not 'right' IMO and is why some consider MS underhand.

Even when said content is locked out from others for up to 1 year? Yes there is a small difference, but both practices are crap.

Also love how you ignore the fact Sony has done this in the past, that's ok you don't have to believe it.

When in the past? Find the proof that they did such with the first TR game. It has been disputed in this thread already and the past means shit to me. The game market is entirely different now than it was in the mid 90s. This is even worse if u sum up the fact that the XBO, PS4, and PC all have very similar architecture this time around. Working on multiple consoles is not as taxing as it used to be back then.

Nimby

Banned
seems at the time of E3 at least, it was not exclusive. from Microsoft's E3 press release:

Bu3goL3IYAE4tf3.png:large

from @jasonschreier's twitter account

Someone posted a Brazilian Playstation magazine from E3 that had a ROTR poster included on another forum.

So yes, this deal screams recent to me.

Me neither, I predict a huge backlash on two areas, one we are experiencing as of right now: basically the sentiment of the of no Xbone platforms owners fanbase, and financially: TB is not a system seller, they aren't profiting from software sales either, basically the question is: How is MS getting their money back with this deal?

I had a long, detailed post written up but Chrome crashed.

TL;DR version: They won't. But if it contributes even a little bit to building a perception that Xbox One is a place where you can find great games first (or exclusively, depending on how informed the consumer in question is), then it's worth it over the long haul.

Well, it's worth it over the long haul IF this is only one of several games they make deals for over the next few years.... ideally while they restock their own internal development.

You know what, fuck it. Nintendo, just buy the Xbox division from Microsoft, bring over the controller, the hardware, the 1st party studios and the online infrastructure. I'm tired of this BS. Let's go back to two consoles. I think Halo + Mario +Forza +Zelda + Gears of War + Metroid would make for a fun lineup. /dream

Dysun

Nice get for Microsoft. I'll pick it up on a Steam sale sometime in 2016, I guess.

Have to think that check is huge for Square Enix to neglect the platform with stronger sales in a franchise they want to grow, and whose sales were labelled as "Under-performed" once upon a time.

This notion that a new Tomb Raider won't sell due to a relatively small install base, or will fail to noticeably move systems, or that S-E or CD will feel the wrath of spurned gamers and be held responsible and crucified, is beyond ridiculous, like much of this thread.

It's still one of the most famed IPs in gaming. It may have faded since its heyday, and whether MS considers it worth whatever they spent for the privilege to host it is on them, but the immense iconography Tomb Raider boasts is absolutely going to count for something, even if it only amounts to a purchase incentive on Bone's part.

Meanwhile, we have a Bloodborne thread with people un-ironically saying that a new IP (fantastic as it looks) is going to help shift millions of consoles.

There are fewer flights of fancy more fanciful than the passions of zealous console warriors. This is exactly the kind of thing MS needs to do to catch up, and you can expect more of it until they do.

They will never catch up.

No. Denying a platform a game that was announced for it is a shitty practice.

If this is the case then Sony should sue for backing out of the deal, if there was a deal!

This is an interesting point. Maybe it's well known but I just don't know. If the Tomb Raider game is in development, how do they handle putting it on each system? Is there a meeting with the Square Enix chaps and Sony and Microsoft and they all agree to put it out on their respective system?

Was Sony ever approached by SE and told that the game would be out on PS4, then taken away (so to speak) by this deal with Microsoft? How does this work?

Mike Golf

I think any logical person is comfortable saying that this is timed. That said, the thread title should be changed to something like "The Rise of the Tomb Raider (probably timed) exclusive to Xbox."

I agree with the thread title being changed to "Likely" or "Rumored Timed Exclusive" but not that it is a logical conclusion that it is a timed exclusive. Nothing here points to that, both MS and SE/CD are being very stern that the wording is exactly what they want to put out, that the game is only coming to Xbone and it's coming holiday 2015.

In my view SE/CD are being huge dicks no matter how this turns out.

Either by A): It is an actual exclusive and they are cutting out two other platforms that they have released at least their past five games on; or B): It is a timed exclusive but are looking to drum up talk and mind share of the game by shocking everyone with wording that points to it being an actual Xbone exclusive but then announcing later it is only timed.

If it is A I honestly hope Rise tanks, in that situation they are clearly comfortable in gaining a lump sum covering their expected sales on PS4 or PC in trade of having terrible PR with their prior fans on non MS consoles, and judging by some in this thread, MS console fans as well. Taking your previously long standing multi-plat series and making it exclusive to one console, and the worst selling of the two major current gen platforms and worse performing to boot, just for a large money hat is shit.

Azlan

This doesn't seem much worse to me than making No Mans Sky or Hellblade timed exclusives. Nobody wins from any exclusive 3rd part content except for MS and Sony but it is just the nature of the beast when there is fierce competition. People griping so much about this one instance of it seems a bit crazy.

Card Boy

Banned

Fucken this. Instead of the 400 million they spent on some American sport the rest of the world doesn't give a shit about they could of make like 100 XBL games if they put like 4 million each to them or afew massive AAA games.

Instead of Titanfall money hats or Tomb Raider money hats again they could of made their own games.

Top Bottom