• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First PS3 firmware 2.5 details?

Lock if old, I searched "PS3 firmware 2.5" and got nothing...

CVG has learnt that Sony's next firmware update for PlayStation 3 will include an option for screen grabbing, allowing you to take your own shots of what you get up to on your PS3.

A development source has told CVG that PS3 firmware update 2.5 is rumoured to have screen grabbing built in.

Exactly how this would be done and what you could do with the shots once you've grabbed a piece of the action isn't yet known. But you've got to reckon that uploading them to a server and showing off and using the images as themes would be a safe bet.

Sony hasn't announced anything about a 2.5 update yet and won't even discuss the subject. We'll file this one under 'wait and see' for the time being.

CVG

I've wanted that since the start of the generation, I hope its true:D

zoku88

I've also wanted a screenshot option. It's funny how there is youtube support before a screenshot option. That kinda seems backwards :lol :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Shit, so much update hyping lately! In-game XMB, trophies, support for custom soundtrack and Youtube just came. My next dream is to have screen grabbing (think MGO), that would make me complete.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
steverulez said:
Lock if old, I searched "PS3 firmware 2.5" and got nothing...

CVG

I've wanted that since the start of the generation, I hope its true:D

It should be possible and not too hard to do... I'd think that maybe this will be a feature a game would have to account for/be ready for/coded for, but it would not need to reserve a great deal of resources to... apply some optional copyright info (like FFXI) on the finished frame-buffer ready to be flipped and dump it in XDR. Then the XMB reserved SPU could compress it into a JPEG image... even without any scaling...

KZObsessed

I hope it's true, I've wanted to be able to take screens for ages now! :D

Do you guys think this feature would ever be available for Blu-ray movies as well? Or would that be too difficult?

n1n9tean

Banned
What's this about Youtube? I have a PS3 but I haven't messed with it since the in-game XMB update. I wasn't aware of any Youtube functions.

xero273

n1n9tean said:
What's this about Youtube? I have a PS3 but I haven't messed with it since the in-game XMB update. I wasn't aware of any Youtube functions.

Certain games can be built with the ability to record your gameplay and upload to youtube. The only game that I know of is Pixeljunk Eden.

Damodar

Quick! Somebody check if the PS3 keyboard attachment has a print screen button!

I would be interested to see what you would press to take the pics. Would you have to bring up the XMB or something?

womfalcs3

Banned
n1n9tean said:

On a game-by-game basis (I believe only the cat game on the Japanese PS Store and PixelJunk Eden support this feature so far.), you are able to record up to 10 minutes of what you're doing in the game and immediately upload the video to YouTube under your account there.

Hell yeah. This would be very good for everyone. Fans would get to post direct captures of the games they are playing. And Sony would get free advertising and publicity.

No more arguments on message boards over shaky digital camera shots taken off TV screens!

zoku88

xero273 said:
Certain games can be built with the ability to record your gameplay and upload to youtube. The only game that I know of is Pixeljunk Eden.
And that mainichi issyo thing

womfalcs3 said:
On a game-by-game basis (I believe only the cat game on the Japanese PS Store and PixelJunk Eden support this feature so far.), you are able to record up to 10 minutes of what you're doing in the game and immediately upload the video to YouTube under your account there.

You can also just save the video to the HDD for watching later if you don't want to upload it to YouTube.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
MGO was saying that PSN is undergoing a routine maintenance on the 26th. Last time it said that, we got an update.

Just saying.

Wurm

Banned
This is the one feature I've thought firmwares should certainly have. LBP's plan of meta-tagging screenshots with players from multiplayer, ala Facebook is something Sony should either enforce as the next big firmware push or make sure PS4 has it as standard with a specific "screengrab" button on the controller.

As for how to do it on PS3, maybe double tap the PS button?

xero273

TONX said:
MGO was saying that PSN is undergoing a routine maintenance on the 26th. Last time it said that, we got an update.

Just saying.

Life with Playstation in firmware 2.4x. It was suppose to come out last month but got delayed to August. I think you would need a fw update to use life with playstation.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/07/31/life-with-playstation-update/

If there is going to be a fw update this month, it would have to do with that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nice job Sony. In the era of standard system storage and always-connected internet connections, there's really no reason why all systems and all games don't have screenshot modes.

I'm sure gaming blogs appreciate it too. While the big gaming news sites have capture equipment and debug units, the little guys often don't have that kind of scrilla.

atomico

Damodar said:
Quick! Somebody check if the PS3 keyboard attachment has a print screen button!

2znr81c.jpg

they could always go the MGS4 route, and assign it to some button on another (unused) controller "port". I hope they have a more convenient idea, though :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wurm said:
This is the one feature I've thought firmwares should certainly have. LBP's plan of meta-tagging screenshots with players from multiplayer, ala Facebook is something Sony should either enforce as the next big firmware push or make sure PS4 has it as standard with a specific "screengrab" button on the controller.

As for how to do it on PS3, maybe double tap the PS button?

In-game XMB, then choose the option, then snap the picture when you're ready?

Though I suppose that wouldn't allow instant screen-grabbing for faster games etc..

Anyway, if it's true, I hope it's something that works 'universally' in all (or most) games. If it's just a SDK update for developers, then..meh..

They should also over time, if not immediately, have a web-exposed service for hosting/sharing screenshots etc. Maybe it'll be linked into Home and the home website.

Kyoufu

the SELECT button on the pad should be dedicated to screengrabbing. I don't know any games that actually use said button for anything important.

Tntnnbltn

Kyoufu said:
the SELECT button on the pad should be dedicated to screengrabbing. I don't know any games that actually use said button for anything important.
(In before list of examples to counter that statement)

Map overview on Warhawk.

eznark

Banned
Kyoufu said:

I was literally coming here to type the exact same thing. The select button would be perfect, or even RT+Select.

I absolutely love the screen grab ability on PC's, and am constantly reminded of how much I miss it during every Madden game.

BeeDog

If true, I wonder how the screengrab buffers will look (that is, if the PS3 will touch up the pictures by smoothing them up a bit or so).

Still, regardless of the above, if it's implemented it would truly rock. :D

Wurm

Banned
gofreak said:
In-game XMB, then choose the option, then snap the picture when you're ready?

Though I suppose that wouldn't allow instant screen-grabbing for faster games etc..

Anyway, if it's true, I hope it's something that works 'universally' in all (or most) games. If it's just a SDK update for developers, then..meh..

They should also over time, if not immediately, have a web-exposed service for hosting/sharing screenshots etc. Maybe it'll be linked into Home and the home website.

I seem to remember Sony hyping up a sort of "Facebook for Home", even remember some video/screens of it. Is that still a part of Home or the beta? If they took that idea along with meta-tagged Screenshots from all PS3 games, trophy updates and Now Playing lists it would be an awesome service.

todahawk

Seiken said:
Shit, so much update hyping lately! In-game XMB, trophies, support for custom soundtrack and Youtube just came. My next dream is to have screen grabbing (think MGO), that would make me complete.

Seiken, you in the GAF MGO clan? I got busy and haven't played in quite a while...

Goldrusher

Kyoufu said:

Or

press PS button
select "screenshot mode"
press PS button to take screenshots

hold PS button
select "quit screenshot mode"

fanboi

Banned
Goldrusher said:
Or

press PS button
select "screenshot mode"

hold PS button

Or

press PS button
select "screenshot mode"
get shot down in Warhawk
get called noob for not moving

hold PS button
turn off system
yes

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
greenjerk said:
Seiken, you in the GAF MGO clan? I got busy and haven't played in quite a while...
No, I'm not in the MGO clan anymore. In fact, I'm not playing it at all at the moment :/

cjdunn

This does not sound like screengrabbing from the XMB. This probably is hooks for developers to enable screen captures from within their game (just like YouTube export and custom soundtracks).

Elios83

Goldrusher said:
Or

press PS button
select "screenshot mode"

hold PS button

Yeah it could be done easily in thst way.

Firmware 2.5 should also feature the Life with Playstation update which was supposed to arrive within August... so this week or delayed:lol

cjdunn said:
This does not sound like screengrabbing from the XMB. This probably is hooks for developers to enable screen captures from within their game (just like YouTube export and custom soundtracks).

But that won't be new at all. Several games already have that. MGS4 for example.

This is clearly something new and universal.

Rolf NB

Awesome! Just what I wanted ... maybe. USB keyboard support please! Let me assign my own hotkey please!
(hint: I can press the space bar with my toe easily, PrintScreen not so much)
Stumpokapow said:
Nice job Sony. In the era of standard system storage and always-connected internet connections, there's really no reason why all systems and all games don't have screenshot modes.

I'm sure gaming blogs appreciate it too. While the big gaming news sites have capture equipment and debug units, the little guys often don't have that kind of scrilla.
yes. SD captures=easy, HD captures=OMG wow shit fuck this.

It's the obvious lesson to be learned from the likes of Forza and Halo. It doesn't make the interaction with the game more fun, but people just like to show off, and constantly remind their peers of the game in the process. It's basically free marketing buzz for any game where it can be used. That some people actually try to build their own mini-empires around images and words on the internet makes it only more worthwhile for the platform holder.

Az

sounds pretty cool, just wonder how they are going to make it work...

its hard to take a decent screenshot if you have to press several combinations

quick doupletapping of the PS button should take a screeshot

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Goldrusher said:
Or

press PS button
select "screenshot mode"

hold PS button
Or

hold PS button
select "screenshot" option
get back playing

MoxManiac

16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10

PLEASE SONY

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
For what is worth, the 360 Test Unit has this option since day one. It works via PC tho. You need a special PC software, then you hit a button (on PC, linked to the 360 via Ethernet) and the console sends a screenshot to the PC HDD via Ethernet. The game pauses for half a sec during this. IIRC the original Xbox Test unit allowed this as well.

TTP said:
For what is worth, the 360 Test Unit has this option since day one. It works via PC tho. You need a special PC software, then you hit a button (on PC, linked to the 360 via Ethernet) and the console sends a screenshot to the PC HDD via Ethernet. The game pauses for half a sec during this.

When making the thread I remembered Microsoft saying something like this, it seems Sony are about to beat them to the bunch, I hope both consoles implement the feature though

GQman2121

Banned
Screen caps would be a nice feature to add, but what I really want is to be able to do is group my friends list in albums like you can with pictures and music.

Facism

greenjerk said:

there's a new EU gaf clan called NeoGAF: Wasp Unit. Bee went down the shitter because seiken was Clan Leader and had massive disc problems, unfortunately. Meant that new applications couldn't be processed and emblem rights weren't given.

Feel free to apply, the current 8 strong active players are a joy to play with and we could use some more people. We're hoping Seiken, Alba and a few others will decide to return eventually. Imagine if we had enough players for 2 teams in the EU finals or even survival D:

Screen grab hooks and Life with Playstation would be alright but I'd hope there might be more to it. Stuff like downloads finishing in low-power mode isn't sexy enough to hype up as a feature, but it'd be pretty nice.

Rolf NB

MoxManiac said:
16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10 16:10

PLEASE SONY
Will not happen. The PS3 only outputs standard TV resolutions (480p/i, 576p/i, 720p, 1080p/i). Nothing else. Ever.
Even if Sony wanted to, they'd need an always-on general hardware scaler in every PS3, which they don't have.
Might as well stop asking for it.

cjdunn

PuppetMaster said:
But that won't be new at all. Several games already have that. MGS4 for example.

This is clearly something new and universal.

I bet each of those implementations were built separately, in other words the wheel had to be reinvented per game to grab the frame and export it out to the Photos folder. A system-wide call to let the OS handle all that, especially at full 1080 resolution, would take a load off of the game engine.

Top Bottom