• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF What's your favorite Michael Jackson song?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

Billie Jean, obvs.

Been warming up to Don't stop until you get enough in the last few years.

I've read the Dark Tower series and feel that when Roland dances in book five, he is doing it to Wanna be starting something, and of course dancing like michael, so that is also a favorite.

I've also been starting to not like the "feel good" songs like Man in the mirror, even though they were my favorites when I was a kid.

Heroman

Banned
I know it's awful but I always like PYT
No I'm not a member of creepy GAF

5114427+_3f314ef8986b3cd2b78e21fc533d08e1.jpg

People keep mentioning Smooth Criminal. I thought that was an Alien Ant Farm song, not sure why it keeps getting brought up.

:p

Zemm

They don't really care about us. There are so many great songs it feels wrong to narrow it down to one.

Ahasverus

Stranger in Moscow has to be one of the most beautiful songs ever made. His voice had its peak there.
Billie Jean is pretty much perfection though. Immortal.
Rock with you has to be one of the best debuts ever, if not THE. Amazing.
Smooth Criminal is hypnotic.
Of the post-death ones, Behind the Mask and Loving you are kind of perfect.

Man, Michael, what a monster.

Rock With You, easily.

Billie Jean

Billie Jean will outlive all others

"The Lady in My Life" from Thriller, so romantic.

I have a few:

Billie Jean
Rock With You

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Bad
Smooth Criminal
Thriller

Okay, that's more than a few, but I can't choose when there are so many!

Billie Jean, it's just so damn catchy. I get it stuck in my head every time I hear if

rock-with-you-o.gif

Rock with you is fucking music perfection. There is no song that is as good as it.

also that suit is goat/

Billie Jean

Billie Jean

Rock With You

Billie Jean, obvs.

Billie Jean, yes.

I vote Billie Jean.

You can see what I like.

It can really go either way for me. I think Rock With You is his best composed song. Each section of the song has a slightly different feel rhythmically (Chorus has 16th notes on the Hi-Hat, Verse 8th notes, Pre-Chorus on the up-beats, Bridge 16th's again but with accents on the up-beats again; this adds so much depth to the feel). Harmonically it's interesting. The lyric is very disco, but good nonetheless. His vocal is killer. And the overall arrangement, again while being very disco, is very full and varied. Such a funky, grooving song.

But his best overall Pop tune is definitely Billie Jean. Just how that song came together is pure perfection. I can't think of one thing I would change. That opening is just a standard rock beat. No frills, no riffs. Yet 9 times out of 10 if you hear a drummer play it, you're gonna think of this song. Then you hear the bass line and all doubt is erased. One of the best Pop bass lines of all time. This song just grooves too damn hard. That guitar part, especially during the Bridge/Instrumental is iconic. If you're gonna cover that song, you HAVE to play that guitar riff verbatim. All of his vocal ticks add to this song. Without them, his bravado wouldn't work. It's that attitude that makes the lyrics and the vocal line work. Just such a great, great song.

I cover both of these songs in my cover band. They are two of my favorite to perform, but also two of the hardest. I try my hardest to do it note-for-note, which can be extremely difficult, as he was a true tenor and I'm at best a baritone/tenor. But I make due.

From his Orochimaru days....I like "You Are Not Alone" and "Remember the Time"
LOL!!!!

favourite black/white song? what the fuck?

and I can't choose a favourite song, although Rock with You tends to hand out at the top on most of my days. Dangerous is my favourite album though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom