• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 12: Gwah, hah. Welcome to the Bowser's game.

Guys, are you ready for a Monday Megaton?
Its not a Megaton unless its a newcomer. Its not a newcomer on Monday unless Sakurai announces a trailer/Direct on Friday, which he did not do.

Sakurai announced a 3 minute trailer 3 days in advance with a countdown stream and everything. He's not just going to post a newcomer trailer after that in a random POTD.

....right?

...OMG! NEWCOMER TRAILER IN AN HOUR GET THE FUCK HYPE!!!!!!11

Its not a Megaton unless its a newcomer. Its not a newcomer on Monday unless Sakurai announces a trailer/Direct on Friday, which he did not do.

Sakurai announced a 3 minute trailer 3 days in advance with a countdown stream and everything. He's not just going to post a newcomer trailer after that in a random POTD.

....right?

Haha, we would burn through this thread so fast.

jph139

Midway through Mother 3 right now and guys if you have not played this game yet play it. Now. The fan translation does it full justice - I'll go as far as to say it might be better than an official one. It's absolutely brilliant, a completely unique take on the JRPG, and each and every character is lovable, and Flint, Duster, Kumatora - they're ALL good enough characters to warrant playable status in my book. I'm disappointed with the lack of Mother 3 characters in Brawl as I'm playing through now; yeah, we got Lucas and a stage, but Porky is as much an Earthbound character as Mother 3 and no one else in the cast even got a trophy. Hopefully that'll be rectified this time around.

As for the Masked Man, while he'd bring a much needed villain rep to the Mother franchise and is awesome in his own right, my vote would go to Ninten as the next playable character... he's essentially just Ness, I know, but it seems so right to have the three boys all playable. But like Fire Emblem, all of the games have such a wonderful cast that you could probably fill a fighting game with Mother characters alone.

Honestly, if we were to think of Masked Man with all his gear, he'd seem pretty strong of a character. I wouldn't mind if he did get in though.

The Masked Man? I love you GAF. I love you so much. Such a cool character. Sign me up.
I'd rather have Kumatora though.

I'll make sure to give you a bye in the tournament.

Having not played Mother 3 in some years, I forgot how great the characters are.

I was a little surprised Ness (PK Rockin) and Lucas (PK Love) didn't have their respective game's finals smashes but oh well. It wouldn't have been hard to do considering they both have the same prinicples, which is lights and crazy shit flying all over the place. Ness's PK Rockin looks more like a fireworks show though compared to Lucas.

But yeah, The Masked Man would be a great choice and it would be awesome to see him in this game or a future Smash title!

Please keep in mind that he would probably fight like Ness/Lucas and Meta Knight put together if he were to be included.

If you don't care about being spoiled, here's a cutscene in english from when Lucas meets him the first time: (Skip to 1:49)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_YRzZgtN0I

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

....right?

I thought it was 3 hours from now?

ffdgh

Midway through Mother 3 right now and guys if you have not played this game yet play it. Now. The fan translation does it full justice - I'll go as far as to say it might be better than an official one. It's absolutely brilliant, a completely unique take on the JRPG, and each and every character is lovable, and Flint, Duster, Kumatora - they're ALL good enough characters to warrant playable status in my book. I'm disappointed with the lack of Mother 3 characters in Brawl as I'm playing through now; yeah, we got Lucas and a stage, but Porky is as much an Earthbound character as Mother 3 and no one else in the cast even got a trophy. Hopefully that'll be rectified this time around.

As for the Masked Man, while he'd bring a much needed villain rep to the Mother franchise and is awesome in his own right, my vote would go to Ninten as the next playable character... he's essentially just Ness, I know, but it seems so right to have the three boys all playable. But like Fire Emblem, all of the games have such a wonderful cast that you could probably fill a fighting game with Mother characters alone.

Where's the boney love? Heck now that I think about it, he should have gotten a trophy in brawl.

Fireblend

Banned
I've been meaning to, but I'm not too sure I would enjoy it. I do enjoy RPGs but I'm not a fan of the way the game looks.

I'll get to it eventually.

You're missing out. Along with Chrono Trigger, Earthbound is possibly my favorite RPG ever if not my favorite video game in general. And Mother 3 is easily one of the best and most memorable portable RPGs along with the Golden Sun games and The World Ends With You. It's nothing short of a crime it never made it here. The writing in both games alone is leagues above your average "Final Fantasy"-like RPG.

Same goes for everyone reading this who hasn't played the Mother games. Get to it.

Tripon

....right?

zlCfzRnXB0IjzQAIKF

I've been meaning to, but I'm not too sure I would enjoy it. I do enjoy RPGs but I'm not a fan of the way the game looks.

I'll get to it eventually.

I still haven't beaten Earthbound (have it on Wii U) but I knew enough about it from reading online and seeing my brother play through it back in the day that I was ok jumping into Mother 3 when the English patch was released and man, it's something. It's one of the gaming industry's biggest tragedies that the game was only released in Japan.

So I can't really speak for Earthbound quite yet but I can say you should play Mother 3 by any means necessary.

Fandangox

Interesting. Would he be called "The Masked Man" or
Claus
?

I think another character besides Pikachu who attacks with lightning would be nice, since Robin uses other elements.

It'd still be weird for him to be known as "Masked Man" in a theoretical roster, though. It'd be better if he was known by his actual name, but then that might defeat the whole point, so... I digress. :p

I don't see why not, Sheik is not called Zelda in any smash game.

YOUR PICK FOR 20TH GREATEST SMASH BROS CHARACTER WILL BE REVEALED SHORTLY!

vraicz.png

Previous Veteran Rankings
NONE YET!

Also, side note, when I put up the reveal, be sure to click the link next to their name entitled "Victory Music!" Music is a huge part of Nintendo for me, so for each reveal I'll share an awesome cover a song from the winner's series; listen to it while you remember all of the gaming memories' this character has brought you!

Masked Man

I said wow
And our first newcomer choice is:
jqagop.png

The Masked Man

My baby! <3

Masked Man? I'm surprised.

You shouldn't be--not as long as I'm on these forums, anyway. ;)

I'd far prefer the Masked Man to Lucas. I'd love to have all of em, though, if we could.

Masked Man has a lot of fun potential in his moveset. Flight, swords, psi attacks, it works pretty well.

I see we have a convert--hooray! I envision him as being a lot more agile than our two current Mother reps, and with a lightning sword and a buster gun-esque weapon to complement his PSI attacks, I think he would be a lot of fun. :D

Absolutely! I feel as though Sakurai and the development team would make him a unique addition to the roster.

I also played Mother 3. Love the game, loved his character. Dude was a badass.

Question though (story spoiler)
Would they name him as 'Claus' if he were to be included or would they just use something like 'The Masked Man'?

I love you. <3
Response:
I feel like they would go for "Masked Man" over "Claus" if only because it would be a more accurate name for that representation of the character. If he fought with his helmet off, however, they might opt for the super-spoilery name.

Masked man? Sure why not. I'll just turn Franklin badges on high.

omg ffdgh pls ;______;

YOUR PICK FOR 20TH GREATEST SMASH BROS CHARACTER WILL BE REVEALED SHORTLY!

vraicz.png

Previous Veteran Rankings
NONE YET!

Also, side note, when I put up the reveal, be sure to click the link next to their name entitled "Victory Music!" Music is a huge part of Nintendo for me, so for each reveal I'll share an awesome cover a song from the winner's series; listen to it while you remember all of the gaming memories' this character has brought you!

Let's do this!

Tripon

My baby! <3

You shouldn't be--not as long as I'm on these forums, anyway. ;)

I see we have a convert--hooray! I envision him as being a lot more agile than our two current Mother reps, and with a lightning sword and a buster gun-esque weapon to complement his PSI attacks, I think he would be a lot of fun. :D

I love you. <3
Response:
I feel like they would go for "Masked Man" over "Claus" if only because it would be a more accurate name for that representation of the character. If he fought with his helmet off, however, they might opt for the super-spoilery name.

omg ffdgh pls ;______;

I like the inclusion of the Masked Man as well, but he seemed like another MetaKnight and being an OP character.

J@hranimo

Banned
You're missing out. Along with Chrono Trigger, Earthbound is possibly my favorite RPG ever if not my favorite video game in general. And Mother 3 is easily one of the best and most memorable portable RPGs along with the Golden Sun games and The World Ends With You. It's nothing short of a crime it never made it here. The writing in both games alone is leagues above your average "Final Fantasy"-like RPG.

Same goes for everyone reading this who hasn't played the Mother games. Get to it.

I still haven't beaten Earthbound (have it on Wii U) but I knew enough about it from reading online and seeing my brother play through it back in the day that I was ok jumping into Mother 3 when the English patch was released and man, it's something. It's one of the gaming industry's biggest tragedies that the game was only released in Japan.

So I can't really speak for Earthbound quite yet but I can say you should play Mother 3 by any means necessary.

Ok, I do have $5 in Wii U Deluxe promotion credit...so which one should I play first? Earthbound or Mother 3? Does it truly matter if I play one or the other out of order? I'm kinda in a rut of single player games right now anyway and based on both of you guys' posts I guess I gotta jump in now.

If the MOTHER series was to get a third rep I would definitely want it to be the Masked Man. Outside of perhaps Porky or Ninten (one of which would be awkward to make a moveset around and the other of which is dreadfully redundant with Ness and Lucas) he's easily the next most important character to use, and he practically bleeds moveset potential. Laser sword? Lightning blasts? Those badass robo-wings? He would be awesome!

They could probably even get away without revealing his Giant Spoiler if they wanted to. Just call him Masked Man and only describe him in terms of his early-game appearance.
A unmasked Claus alternate costume would be all sorts of cool, but I'd be willing to lose it for the sake of avoiding spoilers ehehe.

Vuapol

I'd be down for Masked Man. Never got far enough into Mother 3 to actually meet him personally, but he looks the part in some LPs I've watched.

He could even take his mask off ala Lucina as a taunt if they don't care about spoilers.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Each time Sakurai announces something that doesn't get me uber excited for melee, I get like Gatts from Berserk. Tear through everything. Please don't let it be a trophy ;_;

Crazy to think there are only 20 pics left until release. I really hope getting Meta Knight at the one-month-to-release mark last week means the floodgates have been opened and we can expect big stuff every week now.

But after the pic we got on Friday, I'm not too confident in that...

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I do have $5 in Wii U Deluxe promotion credit...so which one should I play first? Earthbound or Mother 3? Does it truly matter if I play one or the other out of order? I'm kinda in a rut of single player games right now anyway and based on both of you guys' posts I guess I gotta jump in now.

You can only get Earthbound legally on North America, but get it first anyway, since it Mother 3 spoilers
set's up Mother 3's villian, plus Mother 3 has callbacks to Earthbound.
You should also read a summary of what happens in Mother 1 (The NES game) to get an idea of what "Giygas" is.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Crazy to think there are only 20 pics left until release. I really hope getting Meta Knight at the one-month-to-release mark last week means the floodgates have been opened and we can expect big stuff every week now.

I have a feeling that we might get one or two more veterans reveal through POTD, then a newcomer and veteran from Smash 3DS Direct. :D

Fireblend

Banned

It doesn't really matter (they *are* connected, though only loosely. Describing the connections would spoil part of Mother 3. Think Chrono Trigger/Cross), but I'd definitely play through Earthbound first. That's probably because I played EB first (and honestly think it's the better game but then again they're both in my top 5 RPGs ever so that doesn't mean I endorse skipping Mother 3).

I feel like at least stages should be showing up more now.

Vuapol

I have a feeling that we might get one or two more veterans reveal through POTD, then a newcomer and veteran from Smash 3DS Direct. :D

If Sakurai is generous I could also see that '4chan trailer leak' proving true earlier in that we could maybe get another streamed trailer within the next week and then get a Smash 3DS Nintendo Direct Blowout in the first week of September.

I hope.

jph139

While we're on Mother 3, I'd like to recommend the COMMERCIALS they had for it - ads without any game footage or even description of what the game is about, just snippets of a woman describing her experience with it. There's a few more like that one. If the don't pique your interest I don't know what would!

ohNOitsRO

Shriek tonight or quite possibly Spongebob

Where's my homie Mr. Gobbledygook? Metaknight gets a fucking potd after being teased with the Halloween mii masks but Game and Swas doesn't get shit after the Pacman tag team duet teaser..

I need G&W bruhs :(

Juansho

Banned
And our first newcomer choice is:
jqagop.png

The Masked Man

Notable Appearences
Mother 3

Bio
The Masked Man is a mysterious character who debuts during the final scene of the fifth chapter of Mother 3, he is the secondary antagonist of Mother 3. He is the only other person besides Lucas capable of removing the seven Needles. He attacks with lightning, a sword, an arm cannon and some PSI powers; he also has the ability to destroy PSI Shields and use mechanical wings to fly away. He also has a move that is able to instantly render Lucas's entire party unconscious with a lightning attack, meaning that only himself and Lucas (because of the Courage Badge that was revealed to be a Franklin Badge) remain in the battle. The attack is unavoidable.

What NeoGAF Says (watch out for Mother 3 Spoilers!)

What do you guys think? Would The Masked Man make a worthy Smash opponent? Please mark spoilers accordingly!

Hell yeah :3 my favorite choice, and my quote got in too :), looking forward for the most famous veteran, this is really fun, thanks for the effort put onto this !

xfmvxl.png

Yoshi
20th Place (Victory Music!)

Notable Appearences
Super Mario World (1990)
Mario Kart Series (1992-Present)
Yoshi’s Safari (1993)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (1995)
Yoshi’s Story (1997)
Mario Party Series (1998-Present)
Super Mario Sunshine (2002)
Yoshi Touch & Go (2005)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)

Bio
Yoshi is one of the heroes of the Mario series, an ally of Mario and Luigi, as well as the protagonist of his own series. He is a member of the Yoshi species and has aided his brethren in saving their homeland on multiple occasions. In his youth, Yoshi managed to rescue and protect Baby Mario and Baby Luigi from the wrath of Kamek and the Koopa Troop. He is a major character and often acts as a steed for Mario, but after his own series rose to prominence, he is mostly just a playable character in the sports and party games, occasionally reappearing in the main series.

What NeoGAF Says
“Purely sentimental reasons. Yoshi's Island is my childhood favorite game, and it's still one of my favorites to this day.” - Veeboy

“Yoshi's kawaii. He's also fun to play as.” - PreyingShark

“Yoshi!” - jnWake

“The green dino has been with me since my own now ancient times! I always look forward to gobbling enemies and tossing eggs with the Yosh! A Smash Bros veteran, Yoshi is a true all star.” - JStein0222

“eggs” - EviLore Impersonator

Dancing-happy-yoshi.gif

Congrats, Yoshi!

Bio taken from the Super Mario Wiki.

ShockingAlberto, Pop O Matic, Toxi, BGBW, Smithnco, Foxuzamai, Tripon, RMS_Gigantic and daboss should be in fan fiction then I'm pleased. :V Heck, I want to dragging everyone down with me.

Honestly, Heath, your constant begging for us to be included is probably sabotaging our chances.

Kind of weird now that I think about it that a potentially cut character (unless you count Charizard as PT 'in spirit' or some shit) was on the cover of the last game.

Controversial opinion time: Even when they killed the character change gimmick, they should have kept Red with Charizard. Hell, they should have added background trainers for EVERY Pokemon (excluding Mewtwo if he returns or any other legendaries become playable). Red for Charizard, Serena for Geninja, a Youngster for Pikachu, a Black Belt for Lucario, etc.

Top Bottom