• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN, Battlenet, Riot, and others DDOSed; PSN returning lightly toasted with butter

Samus4145

Well this sucks. In the hotel and was about to remote into my ps4 for some Diablo.

Strangely enough, I posted in Off Topic during the week that someone was DDOSing our site. Took it offline for a couple of days too.

Dhuie

Neo Member
Sony twitter should read

"PS4 Blue Wave August 24th 2014"

Your playstation is not broken DO NOT re-Initialize PS4 wait till PSN is back up.

Thankyou.

EL CUCO

So I guess Sony still need to put more money into their network security. And people say PSN is on the same level at XBL now. Hopefully PSN is back online soon.

XBL got DDOS'd on the night prior to X1 release, IIRC. Steam gets DDOS'd all the time, EA as well...etc

This isnt about network security, its about flooding the servers till they overload.

Guess Xbox is better then? Oh wait, If im not mistaken it works the same on Xbox too. If you haven't set your Xbox as "Home Console" your downloaded games don't work if there is a network problem.

I'm not talking about user licenses. A lot of games are freezing unless you manually disable your network connection.

Kinyou

Depending on how long this goes we might at least get some free games out of it

Guess Xbox is better then? Oh wait, If im not mistaken it works the same on Xbox too. If you haven't set your Xbox as "Home Console" your downloaded games don't work if there is a network problem.
"Microsoft too"?

duckroll

Based on a few other threads recently, I am starting to believe Sony did this to themselves

I've seen many DDoS attacks in my day, and this certainly doesn't seem like one. That Twitter account looks brand new too. They could have created it yesterday. Something smells fishy. I don't buy it.

Xando

I've seen many DDoS attacks in my day, and this certainly doesn't seem like one. That Twitter account looks brand new too. They could have created it yesterday. Something smells fishy. I don't buy it.

I thought they DDoS'd Riot and Blizzard aswell?

wonzo

Banned
man, no wonder my ps4 was buggin out. wasnt even able to boot up to the menu until i unplugged my lan cable ._.

spirity

Any particular reason a "group" like this would want to attack the servers or is it just a bored and we want to kind of deal?

DDOS'ing an indie dev who just launched a free expansion is proof - as if proof were needed - how little justification there is to any of this. Doesn't matter if its Sony, Blizzard or Grinding Gear. The whole consumerist angle doesn't apply here.

I agree. Also I'll believe any conspiracy anyone tells me for future reference.

duckroll

I know this is a longshot, but can someone check if there were any ice bucket challenges issued at PSN servers in the last 24 hours?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
The one thing that should go in the OP/title is that people can disable their internet connection via settings to get their system and games working again for the moment.

Thorgal

They where DDossing NCsoft servers all weekend also.

I doubt it is fake at this point .

Top Bottom