• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

So what exactly is missing and added in the P3P version? There's no running around the city?
You miss out all the cutscenes which has a less effect on you (specially the ending one), you miss out being able to move around town, a lot of the presentation is devalued and sometimes you won't even know if your characters is there or not and you completely miss out a new mode of the game which is vital to the story if you wanna continue it or play the P4A games.

It adds a new storyline featuring a female playable character, you will get different scenes, new and way better social links, a MUCH MUCH MUCH better gameplay and portability.

JNA

Banned
No cutscenes and moveable environment.

The P3P version has a downgrade to presentation. Animated cutscenes are gone, many in game cutscenes are now visual novel style, and the world map has been made 2D.

You miss out all the cutscenes which has a less effect on you (specially the ending one), you miss out being able to move around town, a lot of the presentation is devalued and sometimes you won't even know if your characters is there or not and you completely miss out a new mode of the game which is vital to the story if you wanna continue it or play the P4A games.

It adds a new storyline featuring a female playable character, you will get different scenes, new and way better social links, a MUCH MUCH MUCH better gameplay and portability.

Ugh. See that's what I mean and why I avoided playing. I know a Vita/PS4 remake is a long shot but I hate feeling like I'm playing an incomplete game. :(

Xenoflare

I have only played FES and it isn't that bad. And I find it very cool that you need to talk to your party members about healing and equipment, makes you feel more as a leader. I can see why people would complain about that, but you're kinda overreacting.

And eh, there are shops in The Answer. Wait, have you even played FES?

Not long enough lol, still in the first dungeon.

Just defeated the first floor boss for The Answer.

Sophia

Ugh. See that's what I mean and why I avoided playing. I know a Vita/PS4 remake is a long shot but I hate feeling like I'm playing an incomplete game. :(

I would not let this deter you from playing Persona 3. It's still a fantastic game.

Setsu00

Shuji Sogabe, mangaka of P3 and P4, drew the P5MC:

BwbzO8nCUAAXHlz.jpg

Zareka

So what exactly is missing and added in the P3P version? There's no running around the city?

P3P has no running around different areas of the city; it's replaced by moving a courser across the screen with the analogue stick.
e.g
School-Days1.jpg

There aren't any animated cutscenes either, but imo the only one you're really missing out on is the awakening one. The animation, for the most part, is pretty meh.

Fusion spells (spells you could use in FES if you had the correct combination of Personas on you) are changed in to items that you can purchase in a store. I don't have much experience with FES in this regard though so I could be missing something.

It also doesn't have the extra 'episode' that takes place after the main story called "The Answer". This was basically a huge dungeon crawl locked to hard mode with no compendium or social links. It's a bit of a slog IMO for the amount of story you end up getting out of it.

What it adds though, is full party control, party bonuses akin to the social link bonuses in P4 and the new FeMC route, which doesn't change the main story too much but gives you almost an entire new set of social links for a second playthrough. Also, portability and sleep mode!

I think those are all the main changes. Playing either would probably be fine, but I think it boils down to

Presentation = FES
Gameplay = P3P
Well I have played P4 so I know how pretty much the battle system is. And I have no problems going back to play P3FES after playing some P4.
Huh, good point. I just felt the no menu management and slowness of the combat was too much of a nuisance to keep playing FES. Really, it's just the knowledge that there's a better version of the same game that stops me. If FES was the only way to play P3, I wouldn't care.
It's the drop in the ocean, in comparison to those who have to make the leap back to Persona 1/2.

Light a candle for those poor souls.
I seriously have more of a problem going from P3P > FES than I ever did playing through P1/P2. I've played P2:IS to completion and almost P1 through it's entirety. I don't know what's wrong with me.

I knew they'd go with black hair lol.
Other than that he really isn't what I was expecting, the first impression I got is that he's kinda lame lol.

Not long enough lol, still in the first dungeon.

Just defeated the first floor boss for The Answer.
Ah, I see. Oops, spoilers. lol Anyways, sorry if I sounded angry or something.
You know what? I think you're good with P3P. Going through Tartarus is a pain, and you can just YouTube the cutscenes or The Answer (since it sucks)

JNA

Banned
I would not let this deter you from playing Persona 3. It's still a fantastic game.

I'm sure it is and I can't wait either way. Whether it's too play a remake or not but...it's that knowing something is not there makes me sad. :(

Squire

Banned
I also wonder if Yu will make a cameo in P5. I'm sure characters like Chie or Kanji will make a cameo but I think it would be pretty cool to see Yu just sort of walk by the MC like two strangers.

There's really no precedent for cameos. The games are in the same continuity with the absolute vaguest of references on rare occasions and that's about it. A party member making a straight up cameo, I don't see happening.

Also, it seems that P5 will be like Catherine? Similar in visual presentation. How tall is P5MC? He looks pretty damn tall in some shots but not so tall in others.

Kazzy

There's really no precedent for cameos. The games are in the same continuity with the absolute vaguest of references on rare occasions and that's about it. A party member making a straight up cameo, I don't see happening.

Persona 4 set one, to start with.

Xenoflare

I really do hope that the cameos will be kept at a minimum.

The closest it can get is seeing something like a Teddie plushie or a Rise poster. Hopefully.

Acid08

Banned
It'll be a field trip to an old location like in P4.

A field trip into the TV world

Sophia

Every game in the series has had a cameo. Persona 2 basically had the entire cast from P1 cameo in some manner! P3 and P4 had tons of little cameos! :|

Squire

Banned
MC looks tall, yeah. I figured he might be a high school senior, at that height.

By the way, I was right. Soejima's done it. P5MC was genetically engineered to be beautiful and people are already swooning.

Every game in the series has had a cameo. Persona 2 basically had the entire cast from P1 cameo in some manner! P3 and P4 had tons of little cameos! :|

Party members though? P1/2 are whatever. 3/4 don't link to each other that explicitly at any point in their respective games, barring
Yukiko in FeMCs route
, which was pretty subdued.

Sophia

I could do that true.

Without giving away any spoilers, what was the general reception to The Answer?

Some people don't like the story. Most people agree the gameplay would have been pretty awesome if not for some stupid artificial difficulty shit like locking you out of the compendium or forcing you to play on Hard mode.

Dantis

MC looks tall, yeah. I figured he might be a high school senior, at that height.

By the way, I was right. Soejima's done it. P5MC was genetically engineered to be beautiful and people are already swooning.

Yup. I've been it would be this way for ages.

JNA

Banned
Important and interesting story points, a tedious and boring grind gameplay wise.

Some people don't like the story. Most people agree the gameplay would have been pretty awesome if not for some stupid artificial difficulty shit like locking you out of the compendium or forcing you to play on Hard mode.

Is The Answer a second story in the game or does it go along with the Main Story? Or both in some way? 0_0

Is The Answer a second story in the game or does it go along with the Main Story? Or both in some way? 0_0

It is a canon epilogue/semi sequel type deal. P4A and P4AU directly shows references and character developments/changes that occurred in that.

I could do that true.

Without giving away any spoilers, what was the general reception to The Answer?
From what I've seen most people dislike it (I think only buddha likes it? lol). It's basically pure dungeon thing with no Social Links, and you have no Compendium and it is in hard difficulty. So seriously, it's not worth doing all that if you can watch the story bits in YouTube.

Plus, I really really really really really really really hate the story because of a certain character, but eh, I'm pretty much bias about it so you should consult others about the story. :p

TIME FOR A CLASS FIELD TRIP TO YASOGAMI HIGH TO SEE HOW THE COUNTRY BUMPKINS LIVE. :p

Ah for a f*** sake lol. Now I got one saying to play FES and another to play P3P.

Ok vote for me: P3P or FES GO!

You can't run around with your hands in pockets in P3P so I vote for FES.

And it's good!

Don't let the unenlightened fool you!

Here here!

oKji5wQ.png

I say try P3FES first, then P3P. If you cant handle P3FES only stuff like the fact that you only control the mc, and the team mates are AI controlled, except for some commands, among other things, stick with FES. If you can't handle it, switch to P3P and watch The Answer on youtube or something.

Xenoflare

Compared to the other MCs he doesn't stand out.

I like that, it makes the silent protagonist a bit more feasible, even though his design still has a lot of styles in it.

I really like his design, as I said, his design in neutral and has a more realistic tone to it, it also screams Soejima

Ah for a f*** sake lol. Now I got one saying to play FES and another to play P3P.

A page ago I said FES, but you remembered me how much I dislike The Answer and how the idea of portable P3 is cool, so P3P and watch the cutscenes online.
TIME FOR A CLASS FIELD TRIP TO YASOGAMI HIGH TO SEE HOW THE COUNTRY BUMPKINS LIVE. :p
With Ayane as the new High Studen Council President.

arue

Vox should make this his avatar.

I also like P5MC's design because he looks like that smart guy in other manga/anime, but this time he's the protagonist. It's like looking at a story from a different perspective or personality. Somehow he also reminds me of my high school friend.

Zareka

FES since it's your first time and if you have a lot of time to sit in front of your console.

P3P if you want tighter gameplay and portability. Being able to pick up/stop whenever you want with sleep mode is extremely helpful too.

(To make this easier/more helpful, I'm biased towards P3P, so take this as a P3P recommendation.)

Hmm, nice teaser. Can't wait to actually find out more. Also, Yay for ps4 version!

Gutted I couldn't keep up with this live, Fucking real life work obligations.

Ehh, I'll get hyped when I get home.

FES. Seriously.
Then if you feel like it play P3P with the female MC.

Compared to the other MCs he doesn't stand out.

Yeah, might be intentional considering the game's theme but I was talking more about what he gives away in termos of personality/attitude. Too early to say of course, just my first impression.

Top Bottom