• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists achieve first human brain to brain message transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So 18 months ago they achieved this in rats:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516978

And now, the first successful experiment with humans.

http://news.sky.com/story/1329954/world-first-as-message-sent-from-brain-to-brain

In a world first, a team of researchers has achieved brain-to-brain transmition of information between humans.

The team managed to send messages from India to France - a distance of 5,000 miles - without performing invasive surgery on the test subjects.

There were four participants in the study, aged between 28 and 50.

One was assigned to a brain-computer interface to transmit the thought, while the three others were assigned to receive the thought.

The first participant, located in India, was shown words translated into binary, and had to envision actions for each piece of information.

For example, they could move their hands for a 1 or their legs for a 0.

A technique known as electroencephalogry - which monitors brain signals from the outside - was used to record the thoughts as outgoing messages and send them via the internet.

At the other end, electromagnetic induction was used to stimulate the brain's visual cortex from the outside and pass on the signal successfully to the three other participants in France.

Telepathically lock if old.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Judging by how many people pay little attention to security on their cellphones and computers I wonder what a world with hackable brains will be like.

Honestly you can hack mine with boobs and cartoons. Like, it's very poorly protected.

Acorn

Ads while you sleep.
34636_4_full.jpg

Ikael

I don't care that this has a scientific basis, I am going to call this technology "telepathy" and roll with it :p

Seriously, this is incredibly awesome. And we might be looking into the future of videogaming output.

No more physical computer towers

Not even google glasses

Just upgrade your mind with some quantum memory

Time 2 become Scarlett Johansson

Alx

I find all recent development on brain understanding, reading and interaction fascinating. Sometimes scary, too.
I'm really curious to see what we will get 10 years from now from that technology.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
MPAA to shut this thing down fast, I might watch a film and broadcast it worldwide!
Damn, spoilers would be impossible to avoid!

getting closer to being reality.
I really, REALLY hope this wasn't an important spoiler. I'm going to start playing the former in a few days (hopefully), and I'd be very pissed off if I ruined my experience somehow due to a poorly marked spoiler in an unrelated thread.

This actually sounds awful. I can't wait till our thoughts are sent as data to the cloud to be crunched by the feds and enforced by the thought police. Taking off your thought cap will be punishable by death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom