• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N'Gai talks Gears 2, Little Big Planet and This Fall's Sales Winners

Kittonwy

Banned
cjelly said:
I dunno, man, online co-op out of the box is a big deal for a lot of people.

But then so did HALO 3 and Gears 1, and Resistance 2, online co-op has pretty much become a standard feature for shooters. I do think co-op is good BECAUSE you're playing WITH friends AGAINST a bunch of enemies. It moves away from that 4 friends in the same stupid room playing the same shit FFA for four hours with nothing but shitty bragging rights to show for.

Gowans

nice podcast. listened while playing TFU and enjoyed it.

Dunno why everything had to be a battle tho between games and systems but N'Gai was great.

So this is part of the Gears Community (was just thinking today thats one place EPIC needs o get there shit together. Would subscribe to check out a couple more but no itunes link?

Also what ever happened to that teased N'Gai and Totillo podcast? :(

wayward archer said:
As many counterstrike or Gears players will tell you there is something uniquely awesome about being the last man alive on your team and pulling out a victory against tough odds that just doesn't get recreated, ever, in big games like Battlefield or Warhawk where you get swallowed up in wave after wave of allies pushing against a wall of enemies.

Wow~ You took the words right out of my mouth. I really like big games with a lot of people just because of the size and scope of the battle.

But there is something very special about suddenly hearing dead quiet and realizing its just you and the other team. Pulling off a 4 or 3 v 1 fight is something you'll remember for a long, loooong time! And then somewhere like GearHeads its highlighted and described the next day in the recap. Fun stuff!

zaidr

Kittonwy said:
But then so did HALO 3 and Gears 1, and Resistance 2, online co-op has pretty much become a standard feature for shooters. I do think co-op is good BECAUSE you're playing WITH friends AGAINST a bunch of enemies. It moves away from that 4 friends in the same stupid room playing the same shit FFA for four hours with nothing but shitty bragging rights to show for.

Maps are changed. players on teams change. I donno, I like playing against friends. Whats wrong with that?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Kittonwy said:
Well, I made the point because Gears of War's multiplayer is like Marmite. You either love it, or you hate it. Personally, I thought Gears multiplayer was shit, but I played the hell out of co-op, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This time they've got co-op, and the Horde mode, so it could potentially do alot better to the crowd who only play co-op.

Kittonwy said:

Is the co-op in Resistance 2 different then the full campaign. If I remember, it's a special mode outside of the normal game. It isn't full co-op like the other two games you mentioned... unless I'm wrong and that changed.

WinFonda

Kittonwy said:
That's why we have a clan for gaf, to this day I still don't understand why people don't join up with us but then complain about not enjoying a clan/party-specific experience. The point is if you play with random fuckers against random fuckers, that's the kind of experience you're going to get, if you're trying to go at it alone then it's going to be that same shit lonewolf experience BECAUSE you ARE lonewolfing it, because you're leaving that team/party experience on the table.
I wasn't complaining. I like playing with random folks the best. That's the way I've always played. And that's the way most people will experience the game, so I don't think it's wrong to assess games on that level.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
OldJadedGamer said:
Is the co-op in Resistance 2 different then the full campaign. If I remember, it's a special mode outside of the normal game. It isn't full co-op like the other two games you mentioned... unless I'm wrong and that changed.
If I remember correctly, Resistance 2 co-op is like GRAW2; co-op scenarios.

thuway

OldJadedGamer said:
Yes the co-op mode and story are independant of the single player experience.

Kittonwy

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

R2 co-op is a completely separate campaign, you're not playing story mode with seven other people, you're playing scenarios designed specifically for eight people with seven other people.

WinFonda

wayward archer said:
As many counterstrike or Gears players will tell you there is something uniquely awesome about being the last man alive on your team and pulling out a victory against tough odds that just doesn't get recreated, ever, in big games like Battlefield or Warhawk where you get swallowed up in wave after wave of allies pushing against a wall of enemies.

Sure, but this is more unique to the elimination game type than it is those two particular games. Many games have elimination and team elimination modes.

Kittonwy

Banned
WinFonda said:
I wasn't complaining. I like playing with random folks the best. That's the way I've always played. And that's the way most people will experience the game, so I don't think it's wrong to assess games on that level.

But then you're not going to get the benefit of playing in a party, and all the strategies and tactics that come with playing with people you know, it's hard to assess the level of team strategies involved when you're not really playing as a team. As a clan we've played some really tough obj games against some really organized teams, we thought we were organized but some teams are just so well coordinated that they can really dominate us.

Gowans007 said:
nice podcast. listened while playing TFU and enjoyed it.

Dunno why everything had to be a battle tho between games and systems but N'Gai was great.

So this is part of the Gears Community (was just thinking today thats one place EPIC needs o get there shit together. Would subscribe to check out a couple more but no itunes link?

Also what ever happened to that teased N'Gai and Totillo podcast? :(

Ya, GearHeads is actually the largest Gears community on the net (That I know of...=P) We've been playing games like Gears, Halo, NHL, COD 4 and others almost every Friday Night for 2 years. We've built a Gears community where Epic apparently didn't care about one =)

As for the podcast, HERE ARE THE REST of our podcast's. Totillo, Dan Hsu, David Ellis and others have joined us in the past.

As for Totillo-N'Gai, I don't think we ever promised that but now that you mention it.......;)

thuway said:
Yes the co-op mode and story are independant of the single player experience.

I guess that's cool that they are giving you a reason to reply a lot of the game but I've found that the scenarios aren't as fun as the main story campaign, at least it wasn't with GRAW. With Gears 1 and Halo 3, I never even touched the "single" player campaign at all and only played those campaigns online co-op with friends. Gears 2 won't be any different, just start the game on the hardest setting and go from there. We beat Halo 3 four player co-op on Legendary the day it came out.

Online co-op with my friends and family is my favorite Next-gen feature and I wish more games had it.

Black_Ice said:
Gears 2 will:

-Exceed the hype
-Be superior to every other title released up until now
-Be superior to every title released after it*
-Like Gears of War, get 500+ hours invested into the multiplayer

*Until Gears of War 3

I like your sarcasm

WrikaWrek

Banned
The whole MS trying to go after the Nintendo thing being the focus now is true and makes me sad.

On the whole team based thing, ugh, gamers who really like team based gameplay will hate the likes of resistance 2 imo.

In order to focus on team based gameplay, you have to narrow things down and designed it so that things feel very personal. That's gears. There's a Reason why counter strike isn't messing around with 60 players, because when you get so many players in a map, it becomes the wild west, and sure, a very dedicated group of gamers might be able to do stuff with it, but in 99% of the games you enter with your other 10 friends will end up in the wild west.

And that's why in R2 you'll probably see 30:1 in 16/24 vs 32/60.

And separate campaigns for co op blow. Games have done it before, main campaign or bust.

WrikaWrek said:
In order to focus on team based gameplay, you have to narrow things down and designed it so that things feel very personal. That's gears. There's a Reason why counter strike isn't messing around with 60 players, because when you get so many players in a map, it becomes the wild west, and sure, a very dedicated group of gamers might be able to do stuff with it, but in 99% of the games you enter with your other 10 friends will end up in the wild west.

And separate campaigns for co op blow. Games have done it before, main campaign or bust.

I hear what your saying, but in Gears 2 its not really a seperate campaign so much as a separate game mode. Horde is more like throwing you and 4 friends into any multiplayer map and Epic gradually unleashing every enemy on you.
Sounds like it'll work for me!
If that's what you were referring too...=)

WrikaWrek

Banned
SweetTea023 said:
I hear what your saying, but in Gears 2 its not really a seperate campaign so much as a separate game mode. Horde is more like throwing you and 4 friends into any multiplayer map and Epic gradually unleashing every enemy on you.

Horde is like a Rainbow Six Vegas mode where they put you and your buddies in a map and get you killing tons of npcs. It's nothing new.

GOW2 has the 2 player co op for the main campaign though, so that's cool to me.

zaidr

SweetTea023 said:

I think he was referring to Resistance 2. Gears has real campaign co-op. Resistance 2 does not(?) - The first one had main campaign co-op, no? why go back on that?

thuway

WrikaWrek said:
On the whole team based thing, ugh, gamers who really like team based gameplay will hate the likes of resistance 2 imo.

And separate campaigns for co op blow.
Games have done it before, main campaign or bust.

I'll quote you on this when the game hits retail.

Nafai1123

Banned
zaidr said:
I think he was referring to Resistance 2. Gears has real campaign co-op. Resistance 2 does not(?) - The first one had main campaign co-op, no? why go back on that?

R2 has a separate co-op campaign with a storyline that ties into the single player, essentially giving you two campaigns instead of one.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Nafai1123 said:
R2 has a separate co-op campaign with a storyline that ties into the single player, essentially giving you two campaigns instead of one.

We don't know how the Co op campaign compares. Does it have the same production values? Does it go through the same kind of action set pieces? Or is it just like GRAW, with a story line of it's own, but lol, a far cry from the sp campaign.

I doubt Insomniac has the budget to create 2 campaigns of the same quality + a fully featured MP mode. Either they had a budget bigger than MGS4 or corners were cut, something has got to give.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I just finished downloading it, and will listen to it while relaxing in a bit - loved all of your previous podcasts being the gigantic Gears fan that I am, so this shouldn't be any different...

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
Gears will probably overxbl COD4 for a few weeks and then COD4 and HALO3 will likely take back the lead on xbl with COD4 remaining at number one.

Nuh uh. Gears 2 + improved netcode + party system = bye bye COD 4. bye bye

Skilotonn said:
I just finished downloading it, and will listen to it while relaxing in a bit - loved all of your previous podcasts being the gigantic Gears fan that I am, so this shouldn't be any different...

Thanks man. =)

Those thinking Gears 2's Horde Co-op mode will be nothing new should listen to THIS PODCAST to hear just how crazy it gets. Its not just more of the same bad guys in different suits that are slightly harder coming at you...It's Reavers flying down and throwing people around; Locusts riding Blood Mounts (Horse/Orc like beasts) that can be shot off causing the Blood Mounts to charge anyone around it (good or bad) and more...I really think Horde will be fun.

Hopefully it lives up to the details I just mentioned and everything else highlighted in the podcast I linked to.

WrikaWrek said:
We don't know how the Co op campaign compares. Does it have the same production values? Does it go through the same kind of action set pieces? Or is it just like GRAW, with a story line of it's own, but lol, a far cry from the sp campaign.

I doubt Insomniac has the budget to create 2 campaigns of the same quality + a fully featured MP mode. Either they had a budget bigger than MGS4 or corners were cut, something has got to give.

From a production values standpoint, the Co-Op story is not the single player story. They've admitted that. Don't expect elaborate cutscenes or anything.

However, from a gameplay standpoint, it's far better than a traditional method of just slapping on Co-Op to the regular single player campaign. All the impressions from the beta so far have suggested that the Co-Op play is fantastic and very engaging.

And this makes sense. No one plays Co-Op for the story. They play it for the core gameplay. In fact, that's why I hate Co-op that is tagged on the single player campaigns; having some dude talk to me takes me out of the experience of the story itself and gets a bit annoying. Single player, I like, because it's a bit more personal.

R1 co-op featured an unnamed sidekick dude who was never even mentioned throughout the entire story, yet he managed to obtain the same Chimeran attributes as Nathan Hale, the lone hero of the story. I'm thankful that co-op was included in the campaign over the option of nothing, but I'm much more thankful for a separate campaign that actually follows and builds on the lore of the Resistance universe rather than a cop-out for two player game play in a story played out by one man.

It works for Halo 3 and Gears, where it follows multiple characters. It doesn't work for Resistance, where a single US soldier goes up against an army of invaders. I damn well wish those of us who played the private beta could talk about R2's co-op to make my point, but there's really no need to worry about co-op playing second fiddle to competitive multi-player or even the single-player campaign. As Ted said the teams realized well into development, it feels like separate games that come together to form a cohesive whole.

JB1981

Private Hoffman said:
From a production values standpoint, the Co-Op story is not the single player story. They've admitted that. Don't expect elaborate cutscenes or anything.

However, from a gameplay standpoint, it's far better than a traditional method of just slapping on Co-Op to the regular single player campaign. All the impressions from the beta so far have suggested that the Co-Op play is fantastic and very engaging.

And this makes sense. No one plays Co-Op for the story. They play it for the core gameplay. In fact, that's why I hate Co-op that is tagged on the single player campaigns; having some dude talk to me takes me out of the experience of the story itself and gets a bit annoying. Single player, I like, because it's a bit more personally.

Where?

Black_Ice said:
Gears 2 will:

-Exceed the hype
-Be superior to every other title released in November

*Until Resident Evil 5

Fixed.

re5pic1big.jpg

Private Hoffman said:

Did Resistance 1 have elaborate cut scenes? When I played a remembered a bunch of still jpg's with a voice over.

Private Hoffman said:
And this makes sense. No one plays Co-Op for the story. They play it for the core gameplay. In fact, that's why I hate Co-op that is tagged on the single player campaigns; having some dude talk to me takes me out of the experience of the story itself and gets a bit annoying. Single player, I like, because it's a bit more personally.[

I agree, I couldn't tell you anything about Halo 3 or Gears stories but then again, I'm not playing an FPS for the story at all. In my experience of playing online co-ops with my real life friends I have a much better time playing the real campaign then the add on side campaigns.

OldJadedGamer said:
Did Resistance 1 have elaborate cut scenes? When I played a remembered a bunch of still jpg's with a voice over.

You're right. Resistance 1 had pretty poor production values in terms of cinematics, etc. There were some very brief cinematics, but mostly it was JPEGS with a voice over.

However, Resistance 2 is using traditional cutscenes that you're used to seeing in FPS games. From what we've seen so far, it's been a huge improvement.

My guess (and this is only a guess) is that Resistance 2 Co-Op "story" will be similar in production values to Resistance 1's campaign.

I agree, I couldn't tell you anything about Halo 3 or Gears stories but then again, I'm not playing an FPS for the story at all. In my experience of playing online co-ops with my real life friends I have a much better time playing the real campaign then the add on side campaigns.

Yeah, that's the thing about what they're doing with R2's Co-Op: less story, but almost entirely based around the dynamics of playing with 7 other people in different classes. So you get an experience that is more tailored towards the strengths of Co-op rather than the strengths of single player.

gtj1092

I didn't play the o.g. gears or resistance and don't plan on buying the sequels. Did I lose? Anyway anyone to the part about LBP?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
For the record:

-I am not insane nor being sarcastic
-Gears 2 > RE5, R2, and KZ2 (However, these games will be delicious and I'm picking them up)
-Gears Naysayers: GTFO
-Gears of War is just plain fun.

And to reiterate:

Gears 2 will:

-Exceed the hype

*Until Gears of War 3

Ploid 3.0

SweetTea023 said:
Wow~ You took the words right out of my mouth. I really like big games with a lot of people just because of the size and scope of the battle.

But there is something very special about suddenly hearing dead quiet and realizing its just you and the other team. Pulling off a 4 or 3 v 1 fight is something you'll remember for a long, loooong time! And then somewhere like GearHeads its highlighted and described the next day in the recap. Fun stuff!

GAF clan had many moments like this in Socom II. Good times, and the fact that you are watching and talking to the other dead members of your team makes it all the better. !

FrankT

afternoon delight said:
I must be the only person with a 360 who isn't getting Gears 2.

Well if it sold 20 million something copies minus one that would certainly be something to talk about.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Black_Ice said:
For the record:

-Gears 2 > RE5, R2, and KZ2 (However, these games will be delicious and I'm picking them up)

Can you tell me more about these games that you've never played? I've been dying to know about them.

Thanks

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
CoG said:
And six hours in the single player :lol

No. 9 hours on Hardcore + 6 hours on Insane > 6 Hours

And don't even get me started on the co op. I dont know if you count that as singleplayer but I've easily spent 75+ hours on co-op with a plethora of friends (for playing through a campaign with) on various difficulties.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
afternoon delight said:
I must be the only person with a 360 who isn't getting Gears 2.
To be honest I will not miss waititing for it. I ordered it online on purpose so I can give Resistance 2 all the love it deserves. You can't beat having 2 killer games like this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Black_Ice said:
For the record:

And to reiterate:

Gears 2 will:

-Exceed the hype

*Until Gears of War 3
facepalm.jpg

Come down to earth here for a minute. I'm hyped real good too but don't jump on your high horse yet. Whether you want a reaction or not you should not stomp on other games.

thuway

LiquidMetal14 said:
To be honest I will not miss waititing for it. I ordered it online on purpose so I can give Resistance 2 all the love it deserves. You can't beat having 2 killer games like this.
This.

No one loses this Fall, but the fanboys. If one game is better than the other, it won't really matter to me because I'll have the ability to play both.

For me, Left 4 Dead comes two weeks after Gears 2. I'm already spending 180$ on games in two months time, I think I can wait on it as well. Plus, the first one didn't wowserzsauce me after 30 hours of playing it like other games.

But that's my minority opinion.

Top Bottom