• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The 1000-track game music battle of all eternity. (actual voting itt)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yaweee more or less summed up my thoughts on the matter. If people are cheating, they're not doing it much and they're not making it obvious.

Yaweee said:
I don't know if it's possible, but I'd be interested in seeing vote correlations, i.e. what percentage of song A also voted for song B. Not only would it be another safeguard against potential cheating (for people voting for the same X songs just in different orders), but it would also be useful in determining whether series fanboyism ruins the current ordering scheme.
This would probably be possible, but it's not going to be something that I attempt doing anytime soon.

I'm going to be a bit busy later today, so expect this set to be closed and the next set to be posted between 6PM-7PM. Results for round 2 might have to wait for tomorrow.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
That Blue Dragon - Waterside track is excellent. I haven't listened to any of Uematsu's recent offerings but what I hear is quite good.

Also Sixfortyfive, you should PM one of the mods and ask if you can get this thread stickied so that voting isn't dependent on bumps via the thread.

Gruco

Banned
Oh my. Cave Story going head to head with Castlevania and Chrono. Poor little guy.

Also in retrospect I wish I nominated some Cave Story tracks.

Masked Man

I said wow
Oh, my gosh. I'm SO happy that someone nominated at least one song from Chip 'n' Dale. Stage J is probably my favorite, Stage A being closely behind. :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Can I make a suggestion?

As I went through the nominations list I was able to think of some tracks I'd really like to be nominated and there were a few tracks that were glossed over because of the 3-per-game rule and so there were some decisions made that I really disagree with *coughCorneredcough*. I think there are probably a few other gaffers that feel the same way.

Is there a way for us to open up maybe one round of nominations with a special set of rules? Like say the rule for number of songs per game can be repealed but each person only gets to nominate one track. And then maybe we can cap the number to 50 or so nominations. Basically just a way to throw in some of the tracks that managed to slip through the cracks.

Yaweee

ZealousD said:
Can I make a suggestion?

As I went through the nominations list I was able to think of some tracks I'd really like to be nominated and there were a few tracks that were glossed over because of the 3-per-game rule and so there were some decisions made that I really disagree with *coughCorneredcough*. I think there are probably a few other gaffers that feel the same way.

Is there a way for us to open up maybe one round of nominations with a special set of rules? Like say the rule for number of songs per game can be repealed but each person only gets to nominate one track. And then maybe we can cap the number to 50 or so nominations. Basically just a way to throw in some of the tracks that managed to slip through the cracks.

Or something like songs from games that have zero nominations-- the idea of a 'late nomination' round is interesting. The original thread had a lot of discussion about what songs to pick from the games that received crap tons of nominations, so those tracks have been pretty thoroughly determined to have the most vocal support.

Masked Man

I said wow
Yaweee said:
Or something like songs from games that have zero nominations-- the idea of a 'late nomination' round is interesting. The original thread had a lot of discussion about what songs to pick from the games that received crap tons of nominations, so those tracks have been pretty thoroughly determined to have the most vocal support.

"Late nomination" would be nice--saves GAF from whining too much. :lol Plus, a lot of people have been saying "[x game] doesn't even have [y track]?! WTF!" and "Ugh, the tracks from [z game] are total crap." Suffice it to say, a "late nominations" round might be in order...

Teppic

Voted. Pretty easy, just filtered away the beatmania, Dance Dance Revolution and Bioshock music :p On a second look it's not the prefect order, battlefield got a little high, same for fate.

1. Blue Dragon - Eternity (Boss)
2. Blue Dragon - Waterside
3. Beyond Good & Evil - The Ballad of Hyllis
4. Beyond Good & Evil - Home Sweet Home
5. Brave Fencer Musashi - The Musashi Legend
6. Blaster Master - Area 3
7. Blaster Master - Area 1
8. Batman (NES) - Laboratory Ruins (Stage 4)
9. Breath of Fire - Fate
10. Beyond Good & Evil - Spanish Bar
11. Batman (GB) - Stage 1
12. Blaster Master - Area 5
13. Batman (NES) - Streets of Desolation (Stage 1)
14. Battlefield 1942 - Theme
15. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Leap of Faith
16. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Main Theme
17. Bionic Commando - Stage 1
18. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Power Plant
19. Battletoads & Double Dragon (SNES) - Stage 3
20. Batman (NES) - Game Over

As for a "Late nominations" thing I'm all for it, if it's possible. Missed the first one, and some of my all time favorites like Still More Fighting from FF7 and Dracula's Castle from SotN didn't make it (and a lot of other I can't remember right now.)

zoku88

1. Battlefield 1942 - Theme
2. Blue Dragon - Waterside
3. Bioshock - Cohen's Masterpiece
4. Dance Dance Revolution 7th Mix (MAX 2) - Tsugaru
5. beatmania IIDX 8th Style - thunder
6. Dance Dance Revolution 2nd Mix - AM-3P
7. Breath of Fire 5 - Electric Power Building
8. Blast Corps - Argent Towers/Panic Towers
9. Beyond Good & Evil - Home Sweet Home
10. Blaster Master - Area 1
11. beatmania IIDX 3rd Style - era (nostalmix)

Those were my picks. I didn't like most of the music in this round...

Sixfortyfive

Bout an hour to go before this set comes down and is replaced by the next one. I think I'll go ahead and post the results for this set tonight as well, but I don't have any title cards ready. Been busy lately.

Sixfortyfive

~ ROUND 2 RESULTS ~

I haven't been able to get around to making title cards for this round's survivors, so there's just a list for now:

10) Blue Dragon - Eternity (Boss) (367)

9) Breath of Fire 5 - Electric Power Building (375)

8) Blue Dragon - Waterside (432)

7) Beyond Good & Evil - Spanish Bar (469)

6) Battlefield 1942 - Theme (478)

5) Bioshock - Welcome to Rapture (539)

4) Bioshock - The Ocean on his Shoulders (Bioshock Main Theme) (544)

3) Beyond Good & Evil - The Ballad of Hyllis (572)

2) Bioshock - Cohen's Masterpiece (594)

1) Beyond Good & Evil - Home Sweet Home (736)

Complete results for round 2 can be found here.

- Really weak set.
- I can't believe Eternity made it. Now you've gone and done it, GAF. ò_ó
- At least Spanish Bar is in. That was pretty much the only song in the top 20 that I really liked.
- GAF haet Bemani.
- Only about 2/3 as many people voted in round 2 as they did in round 1. Dunno if it's due to a weaker selection or thread visibility or what. Maybe I'll ask for a sticky like people have suggested.

-------------------------------------------------------

Round 3 is up. Check the OP for this round's songs and a link to the next voting page. Some really big heavy-hitters in this one, though I think it'll be easy for me to narrow my picks down to 20.

The idea of a second chance nomination period has been brought up. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'm really not keen on letting any game get more than 3 songs into the contest. Like I've said earlier, if you spot some really weak selections in the nominees list (it's linked in the first Q&A of the OP) that you feel would be much better served by a different song from the same game, state your case and I'll make some edits if there's vocal support for it.

Someone also PMed me last night to notify me that 3 songs on the list are licensed tracks and are therefore inelligible under the rules I initially set out, so I'm letting that person fill in some replacements.

The problem songs were:

Jet Set Radio - Miller Ball Breakers
Grand Theft Auto 4 - Arm In Arm (Shy Child Mix)
Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons - Mast in the Mist

The suggested replacements are:

The Sims - Since We Met
Solstice - Title
Enthusia: Professional Racing - AWAKENING ~Nürburgring Suite~

But as far as additional nominees to the contest are concerned in general, if you guys can really come up with enough stuff from games that don't already have 3 entries, then I don't see any harm in extending this thing by another round if needed.

I've gotta run, so I'll get around to voting on this set myself some other time. Have fun.

Llyranor

Oh, missed round 2 :(

Though, I made some picks anyway!

1) Blue Dragon - Waterside
2) Bioshock - The Ocean on his Shoulders (Bioshock Main Theme)
3) Beyond Good & Evil - The Ballad of Hyllis
4) Breath of Fire - Fate
5) Bioshock - Welcome to Rapture
6) Beyond Good & Evil - Home Sweet Home
7) Brave Fencer Musashi - The Musashi Legend
8) Bionic Commando Rearmed - Main Theme
9) Bionic Commando - Stage 1
10) Batman (NES) - Laboratory Ruins (Stage 4)
11) beatmania IIDX 8th Style - Sakura
12) Battlefield 1942 - Theme
13) Breath of Fire 5 - Electric Power Building
14) Bioshock - Cohen's Masterpiece
15) Battle Arena Toshinden - Duke
16) Batman (NES) - Streets of Desolation (Stage 1)
17) Bionic Commando Rearmed - Leap of Faith
18) Brandish - Brandish Opening Theme
19) Blaster Master - Area 3
20) Blue Dragon - Eternity (Boss)

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Silly work delaying me, now I'm too late. Oh well, I'm happy enough with the results. There seems to be a pretty heavy bias towards contemporary/non-electronica though. Oh well. :/

1. Bioshock - Cohen's Masterpiece
  2. Breath of Fire 5 - Electric Power Building
  3. Blue Dragon - Waterside
  4. Beyond Good & Evil - Home Sweet Home
  5. Bioshock - Welcome to Rapture
  6. Bionic Commando - Stage 1
  7. Batman (NES) - Laboratory Ruins (Stage 4)
  8. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Leap of Faith
  9. beatmania IIDX 3rd Style - era (nostalmix)
  10. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Power Plant
  11. Blast Corps - Tempest City
  12. Beyond Good & Evil - The Ballad of Hyllis
  13. beatmania IIDX Gold - Snow Storm
  14. Bioshock - The Ocean on his Shoulders (Bioshock Main Theme)
  15. Brave Fencer Musashi - The Musashi Legend
  16. Bionic Commando Rearmed - Main Theme
  17. Dance Dance Revolution 7th Mix (MAX 2) - Tsugaru
  18. Battle Mania Daiginjou / Trouble Shooter Vintage - Hachimaki Please
  19. Batman (NES) - Streets of Desolation (Stage 1)
  20. beatmania IIDX 7th Style - traces

Edit: Eternity was #23 on my list. I'm secretly happy it made it in though. I think it gets way too much hate for it's shitty lyrics. The composition is classic Uematsu boss battle music through and through.

Edit #2: I didn't expect so many people to vote Eternity as their #1 though. :lol

Fake edit: I'm afraid Brandish getting almost no love is going to make Dragona a very very sad moderator. Hopefully Dragon Quarter getting some love will alleviate that though. :S

How come the Bionic Commando tracks didn't make it? Epic phailure :lol

Also, Sign deserved a spot. Damn you, Eternity! DAMN YOU!

- Only about 2/3 as many people voted in round 2 as they did in round 1. Dunno if it's due to a weaker selection or thread visibility or what. Maybe I'll ask for a sticky like people have suggested.

Probably because of the weekend voting, but sticky anyway! PLEASE!

Edit #2: I didn't expect so many people to vote Eternity as their #1 though.

Well, it is the game music battle of Eternity. :lol

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Death_Born said:

As I said in my post, there seems to be a heavy bent, at least in this round, for the orchestral pieces. To be fair, my top 4 has 3 piano pieces.

Link1110

Castlevania and the Chrono series? Best bunch ever. I just wish I nominated Moonfight in some form :(

Anyway, for the ones that ARE here;
Chrono Cross - Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World
Castlevania - Heart of Fire
Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time
Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears
Chrono Trigger - Magus' Theme
Crystalis - first overworld theme
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - Pitch Black Intrusion
Super Castlevania 4 - Dracula Battle BGM
Super Castlevania 4 - Simon's Theme

Masked Man

I said wow
Death_Born said:

Also, Sign deserved a spot. Damn you, Eternity! DAMN YOU!

Because they weren't that good. ;)

And what the heck. Eternity--seriously?! Ugh. Really a shame that none of the Bemani tracks made it: there were some really great pieces in there. I'll start perusing the R3 list.

My list for round three in this order:

1. Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Dance of Pales
2. Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Lost Painting
3. Conker's Bad Fur Day - Windy & Co.
4. Chrono Cross - Scars of Time (Opening)
5. Castlevania Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince
6. Super Castlevania 4 - Dracula Battle BGM
7. Castlevania - Heart of Fire
8. Castlevania - Vampire Killer
9. Chrono Cross - Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World
10. Super Castlevania 4 - The Cave
11. Castlevania - Wicked Child
12. Chip 'N Dale - Stage J
13. Castlevania Bloodlines - Reincarnated Soul
14. Castlevania Lament of Innocence - Garibaldi Courtyard
15. Castlevania Rondo of Blood - Richter's Theme
16. Castlevania Circle of the Moon - Clockwork
17. Choujin Sentai Jetman - Area E
18. Choujin Sentai Jetman - Area A
19. Civilization 4 - Baba Yetu
20. Crackdown - Opening Theme

Also, OP: one of the Command & Conquer tracks is down.

Yaweee

Sixfortyfive said:
Someone also PMed me last night to notify me that 3 songs on the list are licensed tracks and are therefore inelligible under the rules I initially set out, so I'm letting that person fill in some replacements.

The problem songs were:

Jet Set Radio - Miller Ball Breakers
Grand Theft Auto 4 - Arm In Arm (Shy Child Mix)
Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons - Mast in the Mist

The suggested replacements are:

The Sims - Since We Met
Solstice - Title
Enthusia: Professional Racing - AWAKENING ~Nürburgring Suite~

But as far as additional nominees to the contest are concerned in general, if you guys can really come up with enough stuff from games that don't already have 3 entries, then I don't see any harm in extending this thing by another round if needed.

I've gotta run, so I'll get around to voting on this set myself some other time. Have fun.

New Horizons has such an absolutely phenomenal soundtrack that killing it to replace it with a different source would be a sin of unparalleled proportions. Once I get home, I'll list a few songs from the game worthy of this contest (most of them fit that title, but Fiddler's Green or Catalina's Theme are the frontrunners).

You should lay down some rules if we are going to do a full-fledge 'late nomination' round. I like 'Each person can only nominate one song that wasn't on the final list', and 'There will be a special time to nominate these extra tracks, after voting for the last regular chunk has begun.' The reason for the latter rule is so people can see what's worked, what hasn't, and so that they can either buildup/control any rage of injustice. The punishment for being LTTP is that the song is in a much larger round that still only allows 20 votes per person.

The three tracks that have already been DQ'ed should be replaced with songs from the same game, or at least the first and third. GTA4 is almost all licensed, so that would be difficult. (Is JSR the same way?)

Sixfortyfive said:
~ ROUND 2 RESULTS ~

5) Bioshock - Welcome to Rapture (539)

4) Bioshock - The Ocean on his Shoulders (Bioshock Main Theme) (544)

3) Beyond Good & Evil - The Ballad of Hyllis (572)

2) Bioshock - Cohen's Masterpiece (594)

1) Beyond Good & Evil - Home Sweet Home (736)[/i][/b]

FINALLY. A list that wasn't cheated.

All those tunes are incredible, 100%. Really glad how round 2 turned out.

Masked Man

I said wow
Yaweee said:
New Horizons has such an absolutely phenomenal soundtrack that killing it to replace it with a different source would be a sin of unparalleled proportions. Once I get home, I'll list a few songs from the game worthy of this contest (most of them fit that title, but Fiddler's Green or Catalina's Theme are the frontrunners).

Seriously. To whom / by whom is that track licensed, anyway? If you mean the version from the YouTube video that I posted, that's because it's not the actual game version--it's just the closest thing that I could find on there. If someone has a copy of the OSV, though, pretty please upload it so we can enjoy it. As far as I know, Yoko Kanno's work is directly for the game...

This is the version from the Special Edition soundtrack.

You should lay down some rules if we are going to do a full-fledge 'late nomination' round. I like 'Each person can only nominate one song that wasn't on the final list', and 'There will be a special time to nominate these extra tracks, after voting for the last regular chunk has begun.' The reason for the latter rule is so people can see what's worked, what hasn't, and so that they can either buildup/control any rage of injustice. The punishment for being LTTP is that the song is in a much larger round that still only allows 20 votes per person.

I think that sounds pretty fair. No more whining (hopefully), and more songs from which we might choose--more of the "overlooked" gems that have yet to appear or were accidentally glossed over.

scarybore

permutated said:

Despite the fact the nominees didn't blow me away, it is a nice list when it comes down to it. The top 7 are western which is interesting and imo a good thing to see and hopefully will bode well for the rest of the votes.

I'm happy that my nominees in Sign and Eternity did pretty well, gotta love that Eternity sneaked into the top 10 :lol

As for the new list, that's a lot of Castlevania! I wonder how Sloprano will do...

zoku88

permutated said:

People just have different tastes.

I, for one, think most of the top 5 are pretty bad except for the first two :lol :lol

Llyranor

Thanks for introducing me to some neat Castlevania tunes, thread. Tough choices this time around.

1) Chrono Cross - Scars of Time (Opening)
2) Chrono Cross - Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World
3) Civilization 4 - Baba Yetu
4) Castle Crashers - Main Theme
5) Chrono Trigger - To Far Away Times
6) Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - The Pinnacle
7) Chrono Trigger - Magus' Theme
8) Chrono Cross - Dragon God (Final Battle)
9) Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - Pitch Black Intrusion
10) Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time
11) Chip 'N Dale - Stage J
12) Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears
13) Castlevania Lament of Innocence - Garibaldi Courtyard
14) Castlevania Bloodlines - Reincarnated Soul
15) Castlevania Portrait of Ruin - Jail of Jewels
16) Castlevania Circle of the Moon - Aquaris
17) Castlevania Portrait of Ruin - Hail from the Past (Desert theme)
18) Castlevania - Heart of Fire
19) Super Castlevania 4 - Simon's Theme
20) Castlevania - Wicked Child

Gruco

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Round 2 was BY FAR the weakest set. This might be the strongest. I'd expect a big volume swing. But sticky still is a good idea.

I think a "wild card" round is a really good idea.

Very surprised with how good the Jetman tracks were. Made a very tough round even tougher.

Round 3 votes:

1) CT - To Far Away Times
2) Cave Story - Main Theme
3) Choujin Sentai Jetman - Area A
4) Chrono Cross - Scars of Time (Opening)
5) Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Lost Painting
6) Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time
7) Castlevania Circle of the Moon - Clockwork
8) Chrono Trigger - Magus' Theme
9) Civilization 4 - Baba Yetu

Then a bunch of other random crap I don't really care about. I seriously can't believe how low some of those had to fall.

Any one is better than the entire previous field.

Gruco

Banned
Well Bloody Tears is....

wait a minute...

Hm, you have a point. Bah, Castlevania has too much good music. Lost Painting and Clockwork are the only ones I'm really invested in seeing make the final cut though, so shrug.

Cosmozone

Oh, only two songs I voted for made it. And they were rather low in my list. :)
Will vote for next set later, too late for today.

JRW

Sixfortyfive said:
~ ROUND 2 RESULTS ~

10) Blue Dragon - Eternity (Boss) (367)

Is that even possible? :lol

Ugh. Horrible. These kind of results make me not even wanna bother participating knowing the results aren't honest.

But at least Ive been introduced to many great tracks in the process :D

Ventrue

1. Civilization IV: Babu Yetu
2. Red Alert: Hell March

Both of these are really memorable for me. Even though I'm not religious, Babu Yetu being the Lord's Prayer in Swahili is somehow really cool.

Cosmozone

I wanted to add that the listening links should be incorporated into the results somehow. I'd like to come back to the tunes I liked.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
GAF fails.

Ridiculous bias against the Bemani tracks. You guys didn't even give them a chance. I don't understand how the two fucking Blast Corps tracks beat out every single Bemani track. Just awful.

My picks for this round :

1. Chrono Trigger - To Far Away Times
2. Super Castlevania 4 - Dracula Battle BGM
3. Chrono Cross - Scars of Time (Opening)
4. Chrono Cross - Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World
5. Castlevania - Wicked Child
6. Castlevania - Heart of Fire
7. Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time
8. Capcom VS SNK - Ryu theme remix
9. Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Lost Painting
10. Conker's Bad Fur Day - Windy & Co.
11. Castlevania Rondo of Blood - Richter's Theme
12. Bully - Defender of the Castle
13. Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Dance of Pales
14. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - Dracula's Tears
15. Castlevania Portrait of Ruin - Hail from the Past (Desert theme)
16. Castlevania Lament of Innocence - Garibaldi Courtyard
17. Castlevania Lament of Innocence - Old Man's Cottage
18. Conker's Bad Fur Day - Sloprano Swears
19. Chrono Cross - Dragon God (Final Battle)
20. Civilization 4 - Baba Yetu

Yaweee

My choices, without rankings:

Bully* - Final Showdown. Damn, that's a good song. I bought the game this weekend, but the disc was ffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked, so I have to go all the way back to the store and exchange it.

Castlevania - Wicked Child.

Aria of Sorrow - Castle Corridor. Just a very nice and catchy song.

Bloodlines - Reincarnated Soul.

Bloodlines - Theme of Simon. Iconic, and develops very well as it goes along.

Dawn of Sorrow - Dracula's Tears. Damnit, I love the DS Castlevanias.

Portrait of Ruin - Jail of Jewels.

SOTN- Dance of Pales - Great sounding, and continually interesting.

SOTN - The Tragic Prince. Fantastic.

Cave Story - Main Theme. So catchy.

Jetman* - BGM 5. Wow, I've never even heard of this game!

Chrono Cross - Dragon God. If only that actually were the final boss theme.

Chrono Cross - Long Title. So memorable.

Chrono Cross - Scars of Time. How can you not love this song?

Crystalis -

* denotes ones I never heard before.

There's a few iconic pieces that I didn't pick. As important and memorable as they are, I don't love the original pieces presented here in the same way that I do the other ones. (I selected more tracks here than I did for the first two rounds combined.)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
To Far Away Times, Corridors of Time, and Scars of Time owns all. This is indisputable.

zoku88

ZealousD said:
GAF fails.

Ridiculous bias against the Bemani tracks. You guys didn't even give them a chance. I don't understand how the two fucking Blast Corps tracks beat out every single Bemani track. Just awful.
Of course, different tastes take NO acct for it *rolls eyes*

I listened to all of them, and I would only consider one of them to be good :-/

ZealousD said:
GAF fails.

Trance. Yuck.

TheChaos

ZealousD said:
GAF fails.

I feel your pain, it's cool. the Average GAFer would not really mesh with the music. I don't think music styles like NuStyle Gabba and Drum'n'Bass are many people's things.

I mean, would somebody like AniHawk find this interesting?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXN5QEKNBk

Gruco

Banned
ZealousD said:
GAF fails.

I think the problem is that there was no rallying point. Some of them were pretty good, but so many songs without a clear standout just made people's eyes glaze over, or the ones who did listen split.
Gattsu25 said:
It's a FFX song and I didn't see it on the list or on the detailed results for round one or two
FF songs are in round 5. It's there.

Top Bottom