• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The 1000-track game music battle of all eternity. (actual voting itt)

Gruco

Banned
The Cool Spot track was terrible. But I'll be sad if Baba Yetu misses. I also wish I could share your optimism for Cave Story.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gruco said:
The Cool Spot track was terrible.

Whore!

Gruco said:
I also wish I could share your optimism for Cave Story.

I think GAF's elitism will creep in through Cave Story. I don't think any other indie game track could make it though. I bet I could nominate Lost to the Waves from Aquaria and nobody but me would vote for it.

JRW

Sometimes I wonder if people are just playing cruel jokes on us, Cave Story's theme is just awful.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm going to be busy this afternoon, so the next set is going up late. It will be posted tonight though.

Masked Man

I said wow
Sixfortyfive said:
I'm going to be busy this afternoon, so the next set is going up late. It will be posted tonight though.

Good--that still gives me time to vote! :lol Sorry, just been a busy week.

1. Chrono Cross - Scars of Time (Opening)
2. Chrono Trigger - To Far Away Times
3. Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears
4. Cave Story - Main Theme
5. Chrono Trigger - Magus' Theme
6. Chrono Cross - Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World
7. Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time
8. Castlevania Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince
9. Castlevania - Vampire Killer
10. Castlevania - Wicked Child
11. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - Pitch Black Intrusion
12. Chrono Cross - Dragon God (Final Battle)
13. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow - Dracula's Tears
14. Castlevania Bloodlines - Reincarnated Soul
15. Castlevania Lament of Innocence - Garibaldi Courtyard
16. Bully - Final Showdown

Hey, it's not like any other game is going to get past this anyway.

Sometimes I wonder if people are just playing cruel jokes on us, Cave Story's theme is just awful.

1ywepg.gif

Sibylus

Banned
Ah cripe, can't believe I forgot to nominate some Age of Empires tracks :lol
Always next time, I guess.

Speaking of a next time, maybe it would be worth splitting the thread into several for different genres? (Or bundling a few genres into one thread, then having another bundle for another thread)

Masked Man

I said wow
Just voted. It was super-rushed... But Scars of Time was my top pick. Windy, another CC tune, Bloody Tears, and Chip 'n' Dale rounded out the Top 5, I think.

Sixfortyfive

Answering some questions and tagging some other posts so that I don't forget about them later:

NiGHTS into dreams - Suburban Museum - One of the best game songs of all time. The other NiGHTS songs are good, but this one really stands out. I move for this to replace one of them.
Okay by me. I nominated the other 3 songs myself, so I think I'll remove Jackle's theme and replace it with this.

Also, Dancing Leaves has to be one of the Ristar selections. It's such a cheerful, catchy song. On Parade is OK, but I'd say Dancing Leaves would be a much better choice. Unfortunately the only video of Dancing Leaves doesn't loop the song. If someone could upload the regular length version of the song, that would be great.
This one I'm less sold on. I much prefer On Parade and a handful of other stage themes over it (Crying World would be my next choice). If somebody else seconds it, though, I'll switch them out.

One more replacement suggestion - substitute "The Landing" for "Ending" from FF VIII. 6+ minute endings are hard to get into for most people, and The Landing is an awesome song, one of the best from VIII's soundtrack.
I'll look into this later, or maybe wait for some other comments on this. I generally agree about long credit-roll songs, though.

Gitaroo Man - The Legendary Theme (Album Version) (current link is game recording with sounds)

Ristar - Credits - (current version has some sound problems)

Super Mario Galaxy - Wind Garden (aka Gusty Garden Galaxy) (current link doesn't have the intro)
Quoting these so that I remember to check them later.

I wanted to add that the listening links should be incorporated into the results somehow. I'd like to come back to the tunes I liked.
Going to start doing this tonight. I'll edit the existing results posts to add these.

--------------------

Let me know if I missed anything.

Going to get the next round ready right now. Still an hour before it goes up though.

Sixfortyfive

~ ROUND 3 RESULTS ~

Here are this round's finalists. Once again, I'm lagging behind with the title cards.

10) Super Castlevania 4 - Simon's Theme (404)

9) Civilization 4 - Baba Yetu (433)

8) Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Lost Painting (458)

7) Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Dance of Pales (474)

6) Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears (495)

5) Castlevania - Vampire Killer (508)

4) Chrono Trigger - To Far Away Times (622)

3) Chrono Cross - Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World (653)

2) Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time (717)

1) Chrono Cross - Scars of Time (Opening) (865)

Complete results for round 3 can be found here.

- I didn't bother voting on this one. Between Megaman 9 and more important affairs, I just never managed to listen to many of the songs this week.
- 4 of the 6 Chrono tracks made it through.
- Vampire Killer is top 5, so this list gets my seal of approval.

-------------------------------------------------------

Round 4 is up. Check the OP for this round's songs and a link to the next voting page.

I updated the list.txt document (linked in the OP) with some (but not all) of the changes suggested in the last few pages. Check it out again if you made suggestions recently.

I will update this post (and the previous results posts) with links to the top 10 songs sometime tonight.

Gruco

Banned
Baba Yetu yay! Lost painting! Clockwork missing is sad but I can live.

And seriously, the Jetman music was good. But it was so out of left field I can see why it didn't go anywhere, especially with this competition.

Cave Story...we'll get 'em back in the bonus round. Running Hell and the last battle are better tracks regardless.

This one is going to be between Stickerbush and Ducktales I think.

Sixfortyfive

I'm generally not a fan of the style that Daytona 2's soundtrack took, but I have to admit that Skyscraper Sequence is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Going to give this list a thorough listening to before I do much else.

EDIT: Anybody have a link to an in-game version of the Darius one? I'm pretty sure the one in the OP is ineligible. Not a bad piece after you get past the first minute, at any rate.

EDIT 2: Dang, the Darkwing Duck track is pretty sweet.

EDIT 3: This is shaping up to be a strong group, IMO. Easy for me to pick at least 20 from this.

scarybore

Sixfortyfive said:
~ ROUND 3 RESULTS ~

10) Super Castlevania 4 - Simon's Theme (404)

9) Civilization 4 - Baba Yetu (433)

8) Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Lost Painting (458)

7) Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Dance of Pales (474)

6) Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears (495)

5) Castlevania - Vampire Killer (508)

4) Chrono Trigger - To Far Away Times (622)

3) Chrono Cross - Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World (653)

2) Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time (717)

1) Chrono Cross - Scars of Time (Opening) (865)

Not surprising in the least, shame only one non-Chrono/Castevania track passed the grade but at least it's a nice one. The Tragic Prince not making it is, erm... tragic.

As for the new nominees, should be less predictable than the last. It will be easy for me to keep an open mind since I have either not played the games in question or it has been so long ago I can't remember anything about their music. Saying that though, DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYTOOOOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ventrue

Tried to listen to more tracks and picked some from games I haven't played.

1. Deus Ex - Main Theme
2. Deus Ex - DuClare Chateau
3. Diablo 2 - Tristram (Haven't played)
4. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - Hospital Room (disliked the game)
5. Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind - Main Theme
6. Discworld Noir - When You Met Her (Haven't played)
7. Doom - E1M9 (Haven't played)
8. Deus Ex - The Synapse (Hong Kong)

I am glad that Baba Yetu made it through.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
If it wasn't for Diablo II's Tristram, I'd be an all Dragon Quest affair. Just cannot deny the greatness of the Tristram track.. and the problem with my Dragon Quest votes is I know all of those songs symphonic tracks off by heart, so that's what I hear when I vote and not the shitty bloops and beeps of an 8bit console :lol

Sixfortyfive

I've listened to almost all of these and so far the DQ stuff is some of the weakest in the bunch.

EDIT: Alright, made up my mind.

1) Daytona USA 2001 - Rin Rin Rink
2) Daytona USA (Saturn) - The King of Speed (Beginner Course)
3) Daytona USA (Arcade) - Let's Go Away (Advanced Course)
4) Daytona USA 2 - Skyscraper Sequence (Expert Course)
5) Daytona USA (Saturn) - Pounding Pavement
6) Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbush Symphony (Bramble Blast)
7) Dragon Force - Goldark of Fandaria
8) Donkey Kong Country - King K.Rool
9) Deus Ex - The Synapse (Hong Kong)
10) Donkey Kong Country 2 - Hot Head Bop
11) Deus Ex - Main Theme
12) Darkwing Duck - F.O.W.L'S Floating Fortress
13) Earthworm Jim (Genesis) - The Descent
14) Dragon Force - Wayne of Highland
15) Deus Ex - DuClare Chateau
16) Cyber Troopers Virtual On - Fade to Black
17) Earthworm Jim (Genesis) - New Junk City
18) Drill Dozer - Art Museum
19) DJ Max Portable - Oblivion
20) Doom - E1M9
-----------------------------------------------------
21) Duck Tales - The Moon
22) Dragon Force - Apostle of the Wicked God
23) Devil May Cry 3 - The Devils Cry
24) Darkstalkers 3 / Vampire Savior - Jedah

I cannot deny Takenobu Mitsuyoshi's greatness. Not everything I wanted to vote for made the cut. Good variety this time.

Yaweee

The DQ8 songs fall into a little void in the rules. The JP release did not have orchestrated tracks. Between that and the US release, they did the concerts and orchestrated CD's. Then, the US version included the orchestrated tracks. So... were they originally composed for the game, or are they 'licensed'?

Sixfortyfive

Yaweee said:
The DQ8 songs fall into a little void in the rules. The JP release did not have orchestrated tracks. Between that and the US release, they did the concerts and orchestrated CD's. Then, the US version included the orchestrated tracks. So... were they originally composed for the game, or are they 'licensed'?
It's in the US game, and I assume they own the rights to the songs, so I'll allow it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sixfortyfive said:
I've listened to almost all of these and so far the DQ stuff is some of the weakest in the bunch.
That's cause to really appreciate the music from the series you need to hear how it was intended since the composer does all of his music in orchestra and the sound engineer flogs it into synth. DQVIII was the exception, but for some reason I dislike the quality of the symphonic versions because it sounds so muffled.

Heavenly Flight from DQIII for example sounds pathetically small on the NES chip, load up the symphonic suite version and you'll be swept away by how powerful it sounds.

Just one of those things I suppose. In a way it's a blessing and a curse but those who play the games and stumble upon the symphonic versions tend to be blown away by the differences from hearing the music in "full".

I love the walking music from DQ8. The Brawl version of Stickerbrush Symphony is way better, IMO, but it's still awesome.

Heavenly Flight from DQIII for example sounds pathetically small on the NES chip, load up the symphonic suite version and you'll be swept away by how powerful it sounds.

I agree. Sounds incredible in DQ8...not so much as a chiptune.

That is pretty cool.

Some other ones that sound way better remixed:

Grasstown

Gestation

Mimiga Village
etc.

Sixfortyfive

Ah shit, just noticed that the link to King of Speed didn't have the full song. That's remedied now.

Yaweee

1) Dragon Quest 8 Overworld: I've loved this song since the demo, which still sounded phenomenal (unlike the rest of the Chip Tunes DQ songs presented here.)
2) Duck Tales
3) Tristram

Then Rin Rin Rank, Oblivion, Zone A, Deus Ex Hong Kong, and Apostle of the Wicked God in no particular order.

Looks like I'm back to my stingy voting methods. I doubt think any round is going to be as strong as the Castlevania/Chrono combo.

Sixfortyfive

Rin Rin Rink is probably the most underrated song in Daytona, IMO. People tend to forget about it because it's from a not-so-liked version of the game and a rather boring course.

I'd also like to note that if anybody wants to see changes made to the Final Fantasy list, they should speak up now because that set is going up on Monday. I'll probably post it later in the evening because this group got off to a late start as well.

Yaweee

Sixfortyfive said:
I'd also like to note that if anybody wants to see changes made to the Final Fantasy list, they should speak up now because that set is going up on Monday. I'll probably post it later in the evening because this group got off to a late start as well.

For Final Fantasy Tactics, I think Battle on the Bridge belongs there over A Chapel.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_no4p6hhyDo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8s-ujuNp4I8

So are the only changes being made the main list concerning what tracks to represent from games that were already nominated? Have you firmed up any rules for the 'late nominations'?

Gruco

Banned
Wow. DKC series has a lot of good music.

Lot of oversights this round. DKC2 should have Lockjaw saga. SNES version of DQ3 Zoma music would be good, as would DQ8 version of Heavenly Flight, and the final Rapthorne music. Oh well, I'll throw it on the list with Cave Story.

Why the hell do people like that Diablo song? Sooooo boring.

Concur with FFT and Battle on the Bridge as well as earlier post re: FF8 and The Landing.

1) Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbush Symphony
2) Duck Tales - The Moon
3) Daytona USA 2001 - Rin Rin Rink
4) Dragon Force - Apostle of the Wicked God
5) Dragon Quest 3 - Heavenly Flight
6) Donkey Kong Country - King K.Rool
7) Donkey Kong Country 2 - Forest Interlude
8) Diddy Kong Racing - Darkmoon Caverns
9) Donkey Kong Country - Fear Factory

ZealousD

1. Diablo 2 - Tristram
2. Devil May Cry 3 - The Devils Cry
3. Duck Tales - The Moon
4. Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbush Symphony (Bramble Blast)
5. Earthworm Jim (Genesis) - New Junk City
6. Donkey Kong Country - Jungle Hijinks
7. Donkey Kong Country - Fear Factory
8. Drill Dozer - Art Museum
9. Daytona USA 2 - Skyscraper Sequence (Expert Course)
10. Cyber Troopers Virtual On - Fade to Black

Pretty boring list overall I'd say. I hope GAF doesn't overwhelming vote for Stickerbush Symphony just because 2ch did.

Timber

this is definitely the best bunch so far. donkey kong country, dragon quest, diablo tristam music. i hope the deus ex songs make it as well as the morrowind theme and the DREAMFALL SONG (listen to it, its gorgeous!) seeing as i nominated those. only a few of yall (LOVE YOU GUYS) voted for the bully songs :(

also, every round has had one or more Rare games to choose from so far, I wonder how long we'll keep that up

Gruco

Banned
ZealousD said:
Pretty boring list overall I'd say. I hope GAF doesn't overwhelming vote for Stickerbush Symphony just because 2ch did.
Jesus, you are the most cynical man alive :lol

not that there's anything wrong with that.

Also, edits for FF6, I'd say it should include either Atma Weapon or Dancing Mad 4. It has an open slot.. Maybe over the drawn out and over-segmented ending theme?

ZealousD

Gruco said:
Jesus, you are the most cynical man alive :lol

not that there's anything wrong with that.

Also, edits for FF6, I'd say it should include either Atma Weapon or Dancing Mad 4. It has an open slot.

GAF made me cynical after that appalling second round where all the Bemani tracks were shut down. But hey, you know, GAF almost did exactly what I suspected last round by giving us all Castlevania and Chrono except for one song, although that song turned out to be Baba Yetu rather than Cave Story.

Also, I'll toss in another vote for Dancing Mad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl2Ew8oodU4

Kirk

I agree that end credit rolls and ending themes, especially Final Fantasy, are a pretty hard sell. I'm not usually very fond of them, especially because they're too long for the most part. My alternate suggestions for FF8 would be The Legendary Beast, Maybe I'm A Lion, Find Your Way, and The Salt Flats, which were my favourites from that game. Still, none of them would fall into my top twenty for best game music ever.

Voting for round 4 was interesting. Most of it was unfamiliar to me. The most pleasant surprise was Diablo 2. That was an amazing track. Daytona USA should go somewhere and die a quiet death. I was also partial to the Darkstalkers music. I don`t know what people see in the DKC 2 soundtrack. I thought the first one had a better sound than either 2 or 3.

Here were my picks.

1. Dragon Quest 8 - To A Vast World
2. Dragon Quest 8 - Majestic Castle ~ Gavotte de Château
3. Dragon Quest 8 - Mysterious Tower
4. Diablo 2 - Tristram
5. Duck Tales - The Moon
6. Darkstalkers 3 / Vampire Savior - Rikuo
7. Donkey Kong Country - Jungle Hijinks
8. Darkstalkers 3 / Vampire Savior - Anakaris
9. Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbush Symphony (Bramble Blast)
10. Donkey Kong Country - Fear Factory
11. Darkstalkers 3 / Vampire Savior - Jedah
12. Dragon Quest 3 - Alefgard Overworld theme
13. Cyber Troopers Virtual On - Fade to Black
14. Darkwing Duck NES - F.O.W.L'S Floating Fortress
15. Discworld Noir - When You Met Her

JRW

ZealousD said:

Stickerbush will definitely be on my top 20 but not sure where yet, and it wont have anything to do with 2ch.

KajunW

I'm shocked that the Tragic Prince is already out in the first round. That's just tragic indeed.

The turnout isn't as big as I expected. Only 77 voters this set, down from previous rounds (158 and 94 voters). There is a rise to be expected when Final Fantasy comes up, but that is probably temporary. I don't know how many voted at 2ch, but this may not be that representative here. The Chrono tracks would probably still have won for instance, but after that the point margins get smaller, and smaller. They could easily switch position with more voters.

Not sure if it's attributable to people not wanting or not having the time to listen to all tracks, or just that there are too few who care.

Gruco

Banned
dabookerman said:
Agreed.
Overworld theme/Terras theme
Opera scene
Dancing Mad.

These are automatically the best tracks in the game.
The opera scene I feel stands out out more for it's significance to the game than the actual quality of the music. Searching for friends should not be cut for it.

Rufus

Think I'm going to skip this round. Nothing stands out to me as particularly great or even just 'nice'. Most of it just bored me to death...

Cosmozone

Masked Man said:
Just started listening, and... wow. If anyone seriously votes for Cannon Fodder... again, wow.
You sir, have no taste. But who has anyway?

Three of my picks made the top 5 this time, but that's probably because the set was good. Of course, no. 1 (and 2) didn't make it as usual, but no problem, at least Vampire Killer is in there. Chrono Cross was predictable, but I only don't understand what all that lesser Castlevania stuff is doing in the Top Ten. Chrono Trigger also did better then deserved.

Listening to the actual set now. Found a semi-pick, more to come.

zoku88

Here are my picks this time.

1. Dragon Quest 4 - Battle Music
2. Dragon Quest 8 - Mysterious Tower
3. Darkstalkers 3 / Vampire Savior - Anakaris
4. Dragon Quest 8 - To A Vast World
5. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - Hospital Room
6. Dragon Quest 3 - Heavenly Flight
7. Discworld Noir - When You Met Her
8. Darkstalkers 3 / Vampire Savior - Jedah
9. Daytona USA 2001 - Rin Rin Rink
10. Dragon Force - Wayne of Highland
11. DJ Max Portable - Oblivion

I kinda felt that a lot of songs this time were well composed, but just kinda boring to listen to...

EDIT; Why did I nominate the NES version of the battle music? Why T_T

Cosmozone

By far the weakest set so far. :-(
Is Darius Gaiden really directly from a game? From the video, it looks more like an arrangement version payed live, lol.

Still gotta vote:
1. DJ Max Portable - OBLIVION -Rockin'Night Style-
2. Darkwing Duck NES - F.O.W.L'S Floating Fortress
3. Deus Ex - DuClare Chateau
4. Daytona USA (Saturn) - Pounding Pavement
5. Donkey Kong Country 2 - Forest Interlude

The order is not really an order. The songs are about the same quality (to me). But I'll go with this for the moment.

Top Bottom