• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Sonic Lost World (I don't get the hate)

Wow, I must be WAYYYY off from modern critics because I just finished this game and had a great time. I almost feel bad letting it slide further into my backlog in part due to MetaCritic. It's not that I trust MC, I don't, but a 63 game is usually something you either love or hate and I should've known that many modern "press A for Awesome" critics wouldn't have the right perspective to judge this kind of game. The critical consensus seems to be "there's a brilliant game somewhere under the imprecise controls and cheap deaths", but that false narrative falls apart quickly under some quick analysis. Looking at a few common complaints.

BS Critic Complaints:

So-called "imprecise controls". Really, the controls are subtle and take practice to achieve mastery, but they are not unfair. Sonic's normal jumps have a little float, but it's actually not a problem here because the homing attacks keep you on point. Floating is only really a problem if you can't control where you land, and that's not the case here at all. There are several control quirks that less-skilled reviewers might mistake for "control screws". Like being caught running up a wall when you just wanted a running start to do a running jump, or the lock-on reticle preventing you from doing a double jump. These are the kind of mechanics you get used to with a bit of patience and practice and are rewarding once you get control over them.

So-called "horrible ideas or levels". I agree with some of these assessments, but these one-off levels are very few and far between and are eminently doable with some trial and error (not a bad thing). I didn't like the flying levels either, but there are only 2 of them in the whole game and they're fine once you play around with them and realize that you can bounce off the top of the screen, but not the bottom. Bouncing on the clouds can be annoying, but it's also pretty rare and the narrow camera angle is just part of the challenge. Better to have a narrow angle and a closer perspective to land on narrow footholds, I'd say.

So-called cheap deaths or trial-and-error game play. I feel the ratio of challenging deaths to cheap deaths is more than acceptable. You'll die a lot in this game, but loading times are almost instantaneous, check points are plentiful and fairly spaced, the game almost always gives you a few rings close by the check point, and it even keeps the music going when you lose a life so it doesn't feel like you're grinding to a halt. Essentially, you get used to losing lives and the game is designed around that to challenge you to improve. In a way, dying in Sonic:Lost World reminds me of falling off the track in Mario Kart 8: you're penalized, but both games do a good job of snapping you back to the track quickly and getting you back on your feet. It honestly sounds like some reviewers have self-esteem issues and just can't handle the idea of a fail state: like it's an unacceptable insult to their ego and a fatal flaw if the game lets you experience them.

So-called "lack of focus". Hey, one player's "lack of focus" is another player's "game play variety". Unless you are a low-skilled player who can't handle juggling a couple of different play styles, you should have no problem jumping from 2D, to 3D, to free-running on a regular basis. I feel like the designers were trying to keep the game play fresh and the transition from one style to the next is usually very smooth.

Actual Issues:

The controls (particularly the parkour and ledge-grabbing abilities) take some practice and getting used to, but the game doesn't do a great job of enforcing mastery with level design early on. For example, dashing along a wall, jumping to the next wall, and using the momentum to continue from wall-to-wall is not explained well at all and I didn't really get it until much later in the campaign. I felt somewhat out-of-control for the first 2-3 worlds and only started to master the controls later when it was really required. The game could have used some properly explained "noob bridges" early on.

The bosses are well-designed and memorable, but the method to defeat said bosses are often unintuitive,
i.e. the emo boss in the robot owl who fires explosive coconuts (???), but you have to run at the coconuts at a certain angle and height to trigger the homing prompt. Or the boss on the robot dragon who has three phases, has the same attack in all three phases, but you have to hone in on him a certain way only in the third phase to knock him off.
I'm fine with trial-and-error and even guess work, but this feels more like I have to read the designers' minds to advance and manipulate the controls to advance.

The implementation of the Mario Galaxy-styled gravity mechanic is uneven. It's enjoyable in the levels that feel like classic Sonic 2D levels flipped on their side (i.e. the first level). But I didn't particularly like the gravity mechanic or the design in the Galaxy-style isolated small spheres. Once again, these areas are pretty few-and-far-between and they're not bad or anything, but they don't really add anything to the game and Sonic moves to quickly for that perspective to work, IMO.

Wisps and Miiverse implementation are superfluous. Wisp usage seems like a tacked-on effort to use the Game Pad and distract from the fun of the game play. Fortunately, you can simply ignore them in most scenarios and the few mandatory Wisp sections are short and easy. They tried to implement Miiverse similarly to New Super Mario Bros U, but it doesn't add anything. I never used any outside items in the levels and it's annoying to be prompted with that "you got a Wisp" screen and then have to manage an Inventory I never use after many of the levels. Perhaps there is an option to turn this off buried in a menu somewhere, but I never found it.

Characters, story, and cut scenes. I haven't played enough modern Sonic to know if the game made proper use of Sonic characters or bastardized them. I really don't care, either. It all seemed fair enough to the game's universe, but I could be wrong there. There are cut scenes after several levels, fortunately they are all short and can be skipped instantly. I even made productive use of the cut scenes by turning on English audio and French text so I could practice my French! Merci beaucoup, Sonic Team! Some have questioned the new enemies and their groan-inducing antics. Yeah, I can see that, but you have to remember that the game is also trying to appeal to kids, so I can let most of that slide.

TLDR/Overall Impression

Screw the haters, Sonic: Lost World rocks. The graphics and soundtrack are outstanding, the controls provide a good balance between classic high-speed Sonic action and 3D exploration, the level design is mostly great, and the challenge level is tough and satisfying. There are some legit gripes on some mostly minor issues (i.e. not teaching some moves through level design, half-assed Game Pad/Miiverse usage, a few unenjoyable levels), but on balance, the good far outweighs the bad. I'd heartily recommend Sonic Lost World to Wii U owners and Sonic fans. Prepare to have your ass handed to you: I'll see you on the other side!

Zalman

I definitely don't think it's as bad as some are making it out to be. Huge step back from Colors and Generations though.

It is probably the most inconsistent game I ever played. Some level designs are good and have multiple paths, others are trial and error crap with poor platforming. Game generally looks great, but it has some really bad pop-in during some later stages.

The fact that Sonic has no momentum and jumps like a slug is contrary to everything a Sonic game should me. I get that Sonic Team's goal was to make the game feel more under your control, but all they did was take away what made Sonic feel like Sonic by putting in mediocre platforming controls.

Just look at the side-scrolling levels and compare them to the old games or even Colors. Sonic feels slower than Mario. That shouldn't be a thing.

All this being said, I love the some ideas the game puts forth about story and the Mario Galaxy inspired levels. The music is also godly (Sky Road Act 2 for life). It just feels like a huge step back from Colors and Generations in most gameplay related aspects.

You should have played it when it first came out. It was almost impossible to not get a game over the first time through since collecting 100 rings did not give you an extra life. This is especially true since the parkour stuff takes a really long time to get used to. That was one of the major complaints in the initial reviews.

That said, I also agree that it's not bad. It's decent enough, around the level of Sonic Heroes in terms of quality, in my opinion.

TimmiT

Yeah all those critics are wrong cause if they don't have exactly the same opinion as I have so they're not good critics.

Seriously though, I think the first half of the game is fine, but the second half is filled with levels that are just clearly rushed or not fleshed out enough. I also think that while it isn't too hard to control, the controls could be a lot better than they are. It's not a bad game, but there's a lot that could be improved.

Also, when it comes to how reviewers criticized the deaths: they made it a lot easier to get lives with a patch. It used to be so that you didn't get a life for every 100 rings you collect, so getting a game over was actually something that could happen. Now it's a lot easier to get lives because it's very easy to collect a lot of rings.

brinstar

It's got some awkward and frustrating moments, but I definitely don't think it's the abomination I see it made out to be at times. I liked it overall and would've liked to see a sequel that improved on its ideas, but who knows if that's gonna happen.

Azure J

It sets a nice ground work that could develop into the single best Sonic game experience as a whole if taken to its ends and refined but as it stands now there is a lot to be criticized. Funnily enough, it's not even the ideas that need the critique so much as the fumbled execution on nearly every last one of these ideas.

I posted about this in the OT. See here, here and a pretty awesome summary of my biggest complaint here.

Lijik

To be fair, the version you're playing is not what people played at launch. Collecting rings didnt result in extra lives, the 1up pickups were scarce, and restarting from a game over gave you only a couple of lives which made a few of the stages a grueling experience of having to start a stage over from the very start every few tries.

I dug the game a lot, but its not without flaws

Neiteio

Sonic games are always something you have to try yourself. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle got blasted by reviews but was something I really enjoyed.

Sonic games are always something you have to try yourself. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle got blasted by reviews but was something I really enjoyed.

Not at the time. The reviewers really liked SA1 and 2 when they released. It's only now they garner hate with the various rereleases.

kunonabi

I really enjoyed the game myself. It wasn't perfect by any stretch but the hate it gets is just ridiculous. The wisp powers were a waste, the boss battles were terrible, and the slow lateral movement were really my only gripes with it. I do wish more of the levels had the same inventive level design as the galaxy-esque bonus stages. I really would have loved more of those.

You should have played it when it first came out. It was almost impossible to not get a game over the first time through since collecting 100 rings did not give you an extra life. This is especially true since the parkour stuff takes a really long time to get used to. That was one of the major complaints in the initial reviews.

Also, when it comes to how reviewers criticized the deaths: they made it a lot easier to get lives with a patch. It used to be so that you didn't get a life for every 100 rings you collect, so getting a game over was actually something that could happen. Now it's a lot easier to get lives because it's very easy to collect a lot of rings.

For real? I legit didn't know that. See, I didn't play it at launch and downloaded the free DLC before playing and also downloaded any patches at the same time. Why wouldn't they give you an extra life for 100 rings? That's basic Sonic, right there. I can see why many would complain about that.

Still, they give you 9 lives for each continue. With some practice and mastery, that should be enough to get through any level. But I get it, that is a big problem and should have been part of the original game.

Neff

The game is actually really good, but it had the misfortune to be released during the peak of Wii U's whipping phase.

Great sense of speed, varied, feature-packed level design, colourful surrealistic visuals, amazing music... that's all I want from Sonic. Lost World has all that and more.

Neiteio

Not at the time. The reviewers really liked SA1 and 2 when they released. It's only now they garner hate with the various rereleases.
I remember SA2:B, on GameCube, got some low scores. I received the game as a gift and read the reviews before playing it, and was crestfallen thinking I had received a bad game. Fortunately, I ended up really liking it. :)

Zafir

I didn't find it to be THAT bad. I mean there was one or two stages near the end of the game with poor design, but I enjoyed most of the game.

Azure J

I will play Lost World over Colors tho

I couldn't pick one between the two. Colors is more consistent and also has that wow factor for being the glitch in the Sonic series matrix in terms of how much it did for the better. Lost World is a game whose highs are the highest in the entire series (IMO) but are all trapped behind mind boggling oversights in design or actual segments that do more harm to the game than anything else.

Shoutouts to the unpatched version of that snowball level.

I remember SA2:B, on GameCube, got some low scores. I received the game as a gift and read the reviews before playing it, and was crestfallen thinking I had received a bad game. Fortunately, I ended up really liking it. :)

Oh shit that's right. Wasn't it that SA2 reviewed well on Dreamcast and then fared more poorly when the GC version released a year later? Maybe it was just different reviewers or something.

Either way, I learned to never trust reviewers when it comes to Sonic games. Most hate on nearly every game and say the franchise is dead, regardless of the content that's in the actual game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
These are the best kinds of experiences. I had something similar happen with Metal Gear Solid 2.

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the game, OP. It's not as terrible as everyone made it out to be.

Shahadan

I remember it got meh scores because it was just a port without many important differences.
SA2 on Dreamcast was very well received though, despite being shit. :p

Lijik

Still, they give you 9 lives for each continue. With some practice and mastery, that should be enough to get through any level. But I get it, that is a big problem and should have been part of the original game.

This was also changed later on. It was originally something like 4-5 lives which could disappear quickly on some levels (like the grind rail ones). Players were also forced to use motion/touch screen controls for Wisps pre-patch.

My main issue is they tried to put in gimmicks that does not work for Sonic. Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures has some of the same things, but it fits Pac-Man better. I think it is less hate and more disappointment that this followed Generations. The levels that feel like Sonic work very well (World 1 on 3DS, World 2 on Wii U).

RK128

The one game that makes me regret not owning a Wii U by now X(.....

I love the demo of the game of Windy Hill Act 1 (I play that thing at the Wii U gamestop demo station at least twice a month) and the controls are spot on; being able to endlessly spin dash (so happy that got brought back into the series :D) and use parkor (even though it isn't perfect) is a lot of fun.

The visuals and music from what I saw online seem to be top notch Sonic as well; bright and colorful alongside a rocking soundtrack. Also gotta love how the game is 60FPS on Wii U :D (makes controlling everything feel really great).

The level designs....from what I saw, it seems to be solid :). Granted their are a few 'gimmick' stages but they don't seem to be nearly as invasive as the 'other' gameplays in past Sonic tittles. The main acts are a lot of fun, and considering those 'extra' levels are bonuses (this could of been just like in Generations, where we ONLY got one act per Sonic :(....), I have no issue with that :). Also like how the game has some teeth, as the game isn't a cake walk (meaning, it will be a challenge, making the game longer and the zones more rewarding to beat).

With the story, I'm just glad their is one to begin with :). Sure, it is far from great but there is a reason for what happens in the game to happen (not just "Happy Birthday Sonic! Look in the sky, their is a blob creature making time holes!!!!! We now have a excuse to run through nine spcific zones from your past :D!".....I loved Generations but I just wish the game poked more fun at itself; the lack of a joke on Sonic 06 is really stupid :().

I also have to give Sonic Team and Nintendo a hand, they did a good job with DLC support and patches for the game :). Between two free Zones based on classic Nintendo IP (Yoshi's Island and Zelda) alongside two patches that fixed a number of really issues with the game (live system, being able to use buttons/analog stick for the majority of the Wisp power-ups).

Overall, really happy with how the game turned out :). Could have it been better? Of course; stronger focus on the core gameplay alongside the wisps being more then just random power-ups could have made it much better. As it is, the game is a solid game that while not living up to Generations, is a solid successor to Sonic Colors :D.

Azure J

For real? I legit didn't know that. See, I didn't play it at launch and downloaded the free DLC before playing and also downloaded any patches at the same time. Why wouldn't they give you an extra life for 100 rings? That's basic Sonic, right there. I can see why many would complain about that.

The patch really changed a lot that might leave you as a LTTPer with a more positive outlook.

- 100 rings finally gave an extra life
- You start with like 10 lives or so versus the original 4/5
- Certain level hazards were toned down (the rolling snowball level was a near universally loathed stage because of how far the game would launch Sonic when making contact with those shrub things)
- Wisp powers could be used with button prompts versus gestures on the game pad

I feel like there are a few more things that got switched up but I'm drawing a blank currently. That said, there's a lot more issues though that if resolved could have put this into the instant classic category versus leaving it at a middling "okay-ish".

NotLiquid

It was honestly much more of a refreshing game to me than having to sit through another game with it's game play lifted from Unleashed. I felt like the boost formula was at a dead end and had run it's course after Generations where it was clear you could do little but redo the same game over and over again with just different levels and not a lot of new gimmicks to add on top of that. Lost World, while a flawed experiment, felt a lot like a more controllable and new basis that can serve as an interesting framework for Sonic heading onward. Spindashing in the game is quite a lot of fun to pull off consistently and I don't play anymore for the sake of blazing through levels to a fault, unlike Generations and Unleashed where I'd restart a level if I so much as screwed up my timing for a perfect run.

The game falls apart a little near the halfway mark but I still enjoyed my time with it. Glad that life glitch was patched out at last. Refine the controls and then you can start using a formula that you can just add things onto, including improvements in speed and level design.

Also the game proves that Eggman is still the best thing about the series.

I enjoyed the game. Well...the Wii U version. It has flaws that can be noticed by anyone, but it wasn't anything to ruin the game for me, so I don't understand some of the hate that it gets. I wouldn't be too sure if I would pick it over Colors, though.
The boss battles were boring/unoriginal, the controls are weird at first, there are some questionable level designs (that snowball level was painful),
Super Sonic is a bit lame compared to Colors and Generations
, and the wisps are kind of just there with no reason why (not to mention that before patches, you HAD to use motion/touchscreen controls). Those are just about my problems with it.

Lonnie413

The controls weren't great, I just remember one section where the land was shaped like a # symbol and fell away as you ran. Every time I tried to turn left or right I fell off the stage. Also, the cloud "trampoline" section after that was kinda cheap because of the floatyness of the jumps.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Prior to the patch: a terrible rushed Sonic game that forgets that it's a Sonic game and tries to be a Mario game but does it badly.

After the patch a mediocre rushed Sonic game that forgets that it's a Sonic game and tries to be a Mario game but does it badly.

Colours and Generation are the better Sonic games as Lost World just feels like a tech demo that got bumped up to a full fledge title with a very short development time.

Only three levels in the entire game were any good with the rest being not very good to downright terrible. Also holding a ducking button to make Sonic run? That was a stupid design point and only exist because the developer really really wanted to make a Mario Galaxy clone.

The game is actually really good, but it had the misfortune to be released during the peak of Wii U's whipping phase.

Great sense of speed, varied, feature-packed level design, colourful surrealistic visuals, amazing music... that's all I want from Sonic. Lost World has all that and more.

What? Sonic is the slowest he has ever been, barring the PAL version of Sonic 1.

Neoxon

The Wii U version is alright, though it could have used more refinement with the level design later in the game & with the boss fights (Example: Zor has some nice boss concepts, they were just too easy). I think Lost World U has the groundwork for a fantastic Sonic game if they fix the shortcomings of Lost World. Then again, I'm also in the camp that believes that the boost style was a dead-end after Generations. At least the Lost World style has room to grow with some upgrades & fixes in the right places. On top of that, it can benefit from some good level design, something that I already said that Sonic Team needs to work on.

The 3DS version should be avoided like the plague, however.

NotLiquid

What? Sonic is the slowest he has ever been, barring the PAL version of Sonic 1.

Honestly, as a personal preference it's infinitely more satisfying to go fast in Lost World than Generations simply because it's not granted from an automatic button press at a straight lane, and it doesn't have the stupid high pass filter anymore when boosting which ruined the soundtracks.

It sets a nice ground work that could develop into the single best Sonic game experience as a whole if taken to its ends and refined but as it stands now there is a lot to be criticized. Funnily enough, it's not even the ideas that need the critique so much as the fumbled execution on nearly every last one of these ideas.

I posted about this in the OT. See here, here and a pretty awesome summary of my biggest complaint here.

I respect that and, to be clear, I wasn't being critical of this kind of analysis. I know Sonic fans are dedicated and many have a certain way they want the game to handle, so I'm cool with that. I was more calling out certain reviewers who probably aren't the right people to assess a game in this style that can be so unforgiving. With certain critics, it seems like they go on and on about things that most would never even notice when playing. If the homing reticle didn't trigger for them that one time and they fell off a cliff then that means the "homing functionality is broken and frustrating". If they got through the 2D stage fine but then fell off in the free-running stage then that means "the game is unfocused".

My point is in a game like this, you're supposed to get fail states and use them to improve. You can tell they designed it around that. It's a problem if the fails are caused by broken controls or overuse of cheap deaths, but I didn't see that as a problem in my playthrough, IMO.

MrBadger

I don't think it's a bad game at all. I even liked some of the less popular sections like the snowball level (strictly talking Wii U version here) and the cutscenes. Eggman and the little emo guy were pretty damn entertaining.

I do think it falls apart towards the end, though. I didn't like how the sky world rehashed old assets and the lava world was just bad and felt rushed. Doesn't stop it from being a game I replay occasionally, though.

Anyway, I have my own beef with the reviews. I watched the IGN video review and the whole thing was just the guy complaining that the game wasn't "fast". The game has legitimate flaws but the reviewer never brings them up because he's too caught up on the fact that Sonic Team slowed Sonic down to try and fix the "boost2win" thing. I commend them for trying, even though the parkour system was dodgy as hell.

The 3DS version should be avoided like the plague, however.

Say what you want about Sonic 4 being a huge letdown, but this is the only Dimps Sonic game I think is actually complete garbage.

TimmiT

I respect that and, to be clear, I wasn't being critical of this kind of analysis. I know Sonic fans are dedicated and many have a certain way they want the game to handle, so I'm cool with that. I was more calling out certain reviewers who probably aren't the right people to assess a game in this style that can be so unforgiving. With certain critics, it seems like they go on and on about things that most would never even notice when playing. If the homing reticle didn't trigger for them that one time and they fell off a cliff then that means the "homing functionality is broken and frustrating". If they got through the 2D stage fine but then fell off in the free-running stage then that means "the game is unfocused".

My point is in a game like this, you're supposed to get fail states and use them to improve. You can tell they designed it around that. It's a problem if the fails are caused by broken controls or overuse of cheap deaths, but I didn't see that as a problem in my playthrough, IMO.

The thing about reviews is: they're opinionated pieces. You might not mind there being cheap deaths to a certain extend, but how much someone can tolerate something like cheap deaths differs per person. If you can tolerate a certain amount of them, that's great, but don't expect all or even most of the reviews to agree with you on that. Like I think there being cheap death traps at all is a problem. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's a bad review.

And I can definitely see where the somehow not valid critical complaints come from. Like the game really is pretty unfocused not because you die a lot, but because the game just experiments too much. At some point it stops sticking to one idea and the stages begin feeling too experimental and not fleshed out enough, with it changing the level design from what it's normally like without feeling like it really fits in with the rest of the game. Or the parkour controls, while they are manageable, pale in comparison to games that have done them better like the Prince of Persia games or Mirror's Edge. It's not about if they work, it's about if they're fun to use. And I don't think I have enough control over stuff like wall running for me to find them fun to use.

Jagsrock

Banned
It was just incredibly inconsistent, not a terrible game by any means but not particularly enjoyable either when compared to generations and colors. Also the bosses were terrible.

Dr. Buni

As for the hate... It is a Sonic game. Some people will hate even the best games in the series (like say, Colors). The 3DS version is absolute and total garbage, though. It is as bad as Sonic 06 and Sonic 4.

MrBadger

And I can definitely see where the somehow not valid critical complaints come from. Like the game really is pretty unfocused not because you die a lot, but because the game just experiments too much. At some point it stops sticking to one idea and the stages begin feeling too experimental and not fleshed out enough, with it changing the level design from what it's normally like without feeling like it really fits in with the rest of the game. Or the parkour controls, while they are manageable, pale in comparison to games that have done them better like the Prince of Persia games or Mirror's Edge. It's not about if they work, it's about if they're fun to use. And I don't think I have enough control over stuff like wall running for me to find them fun to use.

This I agree with. Sonic Lost World occasionally felt like a "jack of all trades, master of none" deal with so many different gameplay styles like the one where you're flying, the snowball (which I liked), the slippy ice levels with the skating and of course all the wisp powers which I avoided unless I really had to use them. When you're in a stage that isn't designed around the parkour and you want to move faster while doing the tricky platforming, it's frustrating to keep your finger off the run button or else Sonic will get stuck on a wall. I liked Lost World, but "unfocused" is a word I'd use to describe it.

The thing about reviews is: they're opinionated pieces. You might not mind there being cheap deaths to a certain extend, but how much someone can tolerate something like cheap deaths differs per person. If you can tolerate a certain amount of them, that's great, but don't expect all or even most of the reviews to agree with you on that. Like I think there being cheap death traps at all is a problem. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's a bad review.

Right, but that just comes down to the old debate about matching the reviewer to the fan. I know some here disagree and we've had a lot of threads on this, but I think a reviewer should be good enough to know if a game will appeal to fans of the genre and recuse themselves of the review otherwise. It's cool if a reviewer only like games without punishments for fail states, like the Rayman games. I like the Rayman games too, but they're different experiences. That kind of player, IMO, is the wrong person to review a game like Sonic Lost World or The Wonderful 101.

As for the game not focusing enough, I didn't get that feeling at all, but it's cool if people feel that way. Maybe they liked some levels more than others and didn't like switching off. My experience was different: I felt the 2D/3D/free running levels all worked equally well and enjoyed the variety. Different strokes.

Regiruler

My biggest issue was that the overall presentation feels a bit rushed. There are points where you can easily see that a transition was unfinished, or some tutorials weren't properly implemented.

It's a solid game with a lot of promise for future sonic team projects, but it does fall a bit short on its own. That and the three (I'm including NiGHTS) DLC levels doesn't feel all that creative and just recycle resources, but then again they are free.

EDIT: Also, the bosses were pathetically easy, and the final boss is too heavily inspired by the Nega Wisp Armor final boss from the Wii version of Colors. The music in LW is really good though, such as Sea Bottom Segue.

Seik

Banned
I agree with you, OP.

It's kind of like W101, you just have to nail the controls to start enjoying it. Except W101 is way more intense with the learning curve.

Marow

I agree. It's a good game. Maybe not great (but the better levels are definitely that), but it's by no means bad. If I had to describe it shortly, it'd be "unpolished". It does so many things right, it's surprising that it feels like not much thought was put into things. The wisps are one thing, the surprisingly unused parkour system is another. The bosses don't even feel finished (especially the final one). The level design, while varied, doesn't really focus on the gameplay that makes the game shine (see all of Windy Hill) in the latter half. And so on. It's really just small things that stack up and start affecting the presentation badly.

I'd love to see another Sonic game in the same style, however. It feels like it was an interesting step in a direction that feels more "classic" Sonic than the action ones lately (do note that I love Generations and Colors, though). I'd like to see what a more competent game could do with the foundation of ideas Lost World set.

Neoxon

I agree. It's a good game. Maybe not great (but the better levels are definitely that), but it's by no means bad. If I had to describe it shortly, it'd be "unpolished". It does so many things right, it's surprising that it feels like not much thought was put into things. The wisps are one thing, the surprisingly unused parkour system is another. The bosses don't even feel finished (especially the final one). The level design, while varied, doesn't really focus on the gameplay that makes the game shine (see all of Windy Hill) in the latter half. And so on. It's really just small things that stack up and start affecting the presentation badly.

I'd love to see another Sonic game in the same style, however. It feels like it was an interesting step in a direction that feels more "classic" Sonic than the action ones lately (do note that I love Generations and Colors, though). I'd like to see what a more competent game could do with the foundation of ideas Lost World set.
This basically. I'd place Lost World below Colors & Generations, but barely above Unleashed for 3rd Place as far as 3D Sonic games go. Lost World has a good foundation, Sonic Team just needs to capitalize on it.

But seriously, Sega, drop Dimps.

My biggest issue was that the overall presentation feels a bit rushed. There are points where you can easily see that a transition was unfinished, or some tutorials weren't properly implemented.
Yeah, I feel like it was unpolished overall.
Take Sky Road on Wii U for example:
  • Level 1 is a repeat of the first world
  • Level 2 is good, no complaints
  • Level 3 is the stupid reverse gravity gimmick
  • Level 4 I just want to face the boss, this level is terrible
I feel like if it was more consistent, then I would have loved it. For me, it is an average Sonic game.

I consider myself a Sonic fan generally, but this game was absolutely abysmal. The level design was just terrible and it just kept getting worse and worse. I did finish the game but I had very little fun doing it.

SoulUnison

Banned
I played the 3DS version, and it was good until about halfway through World 2. After that, it stopped being a Sonic game and felt like it was trying to be a Mario game. You don't get to go fast anymore, there's very little Sonic-like platforming, tons of annoying gimmicks that overstay their welcome and move the game to a snail's pace, and completely insipid "puzzles" that are obviously designed just to slow you down and waste your time. If I have to push fruit around ONE MORE TIME.

I go back and play Windy Hill and the first Desert stage every once in a while, along with the Final Boss, but everything in between is just such a fucking disappointment.

Why does Sega keep giving portable Sonics to DIMPS when I don't think they've *ever* produced a well-received Sonic game?

Top Bottom