• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The 1000-track game music battle of all eternity. (actual voting itt)

I'm subscribing. One thing that would make this the ULTIMATE music thread, which I've been looking for:

Can you provide clickable links to the top songs once they are voted on? I love how you have the links for the current songs, and if you could do that with the winners, that would be great.

I enjoy opening a bunch of youtube versions of random gaming songs and playing them in succession while I work. Sadly, I have to wait for threads to come around to do this. It would be great if the best songs were compiled here and easily clickable. Just a suggestion, and thanks for all the work so far.

Cosmozone

Well the results would be okay when any Jet Set Radio tune had made it into the top ten (edit: and Killer 7 :( ), but so they're generic. Zelda music on top, who would've known. But at least it's a mix of several games, not just OoT or something.

This round was rather difficult for me. Many tracks were of similar quality, quite okay music with not many great songs, but not much awful stuff either. There was hardly a track I found really boring as usual (maybe except Mass Effect). The game with the best music in the set was definitely Lost Odyssey to me, too bad it isn't that great of a game (reportedly) and is not on my system(s) of choice. All other tracks are really hard to sort, however a subset is somewhat better/catchier than the rest so I decided to cut off my vote at this point:

1. Lost Odyssey - Neverending Journey
2. Lost Odyssey - Main Theme
3. Last Ninja 3 - Water (3:25)
4. Kirby Super Star - Meta Knight's Revenge (Ending)
5. Kingdom Hearts 2 - Passion (Japanese Version)
6. Marvel vs Capcom 2 - River Stage
7. Live-A-Live - Wanderer
8. Longest Journey - Eagle
9. Madara - Overworld (1:04-1:55)

JRW

Jim Power (SNES) had a catchy tune on Stage 4: Link (starts 10-12 seconds in)

I havent had any time to vote lately between work and playing Dead Space on my free time.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This round is a bit of a stinker, but I really hope you guys give a serious listen to the Last Nina II Central Park song. I didn't nominate it and I've never played it but that's an awesome track.

PBalfredo

1. Medal of Honor Frontlines - Arnhem
2. Kirby Super Star - Milky Way Wishes Ending
3. Legend of Mana - The Darkness Nova
4. Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals - Boss Theme
5. Kingdom Hearts - Hikari
6. Lost Odyssey - Neverending Journey
7. Legend of Mana - Earth Painting
8. Kirby Super Star - King Dedede's theme
9. Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix - Another Side
10. Killer Instinct 2 (Arcade) - The Instinct
11. Last Ninja 2 - Central Park
12. Journey to Silius - Stage 1
13. Legend of Mana - Song of Mana (Ending)

Good mix of songs to choose from this time, rather than one series dominating all.

ZealousD

People should get their votes in before this round ends today!

Looks like the next round is all Mario.

1. Max Payne 2 - Main Theme
2. Mass Effect - Uncharted Worlds
3. Mass Effect - Mass Effect Theme
4. Mass Effect - Saren
5. Marvel vs Capcom 2 - River Stage
6. Marvel vs Capcom - Strider Hiryu's theme

My set.

I really hope that Max Payne 2 is in the top 10, either that or the ME theme. Both very incredible songs.

KajunW

Drakken said:
Anyone know?

It sounds alot like the Genesis version.

Most of my favourites (and most of what I nominate) are getting shafted. SOTN The Tragic Prince, Zelda III Credits, Final Fantasy III Eternal Wind...I didn't quite expect those to fall in the first round. Either I have a poor grasp of what is popular, or my taste is not as 'pop' as I thought it was. Then again, there are only 50 voters each round.

Some other favourites I did sort of expect to go out, like C&C Act on Instinct and Goeman Underworld Castle. I have a feeling another few will fall this round (Madara, Killer Instinct 2). Killer Instinct 2 main theme is basically a mix of the first game, just with a real, rougher-sounding guitar. The riff will stick in my head forever, and that's why I nominated this one.

As for Madara, it is, in my opinion, one of the best NES soundtracks. It certainly belongs to the top in terms of sound quality, as it uses the VRC6 chip (also found in the Famicom version of Castlevania III, which sounds superior over the US version. Yeah, Konami really kicked ass back then). The VCR6 chip is only bettered by VRC7 (used by the game Lagrange point). I haven't even played Madara, but I fell in love with the music after hearing this remix and also this one. I nominated the Overworld theme (found from 16:41 on), as it is extremely catchy. Journey of Silius is great -- most NES Sunsoft games are -- but Madara reigns in my book.

Sciz

Ugh, Monty is going to get slaughtered by Mario. And if there'd been one more track before it, it would be slaughtered by Mega Man. :(

You'd all better at least listen to it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dammit I was just about to vote too. and it would have put Earth Painting into the top 10 apparently. :lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
~ ROUND 9 RESULTS ~

10) Journey to Silius - Stage 1 (121)

9) Loco Roco - Theme Song (122)

8) Kingdom Hearts 2 - Passion (Japanese Version) (126)

7) Kingdom Hearts - Hikari (139)

6) Kirby Super Star - Meta Knight's Revenge (Ending) (145)

5) Mass Effect - Uncharted Worlds (152)

4) Kirby Super Star - King Dedede's theme (165)

3) Mass Effect - Mass Effect Theme (168)

2) Lost Odyssey - Neverending Journey (182)

1) Lost Odyssey - Main Theme (201)

Complete results for round 9 can be found here.

- As someone posted already, it was nice to have a good variety of games in the top 10 this time instead of being dominated by the same series for once.
- That said, Mass Effect's music is awful and some of my very least favorite in the entire list of 1000+. :p Good thing the rest of the top 10 is pulling its weight.

Round 10 is up. This one is mostly all-Mario, all the time. That Game Point music from Mario Tennis is more dramatic than it has any right to be.

Drakken

Ah, you're stinkin' kidding me. I was just about to submit my picks. I spent awhile today listening through them all; I had the tracks picked out, just needed to distribute the points. For some reason I thought this ended around 9 each week.

*grouchy face*

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Damn, only 34? I'm not sure this can be kept up at that low of a sample size sadly. It's already below any statistical logic and decreasing :(

Sixfortyfive

Looking ahead to the next round, would anybody be upset if I replaced Hornet Man's BGM with the final boss music for MM9?

grandjedi6 said:
Damn, only 34? I'm not sure this can be kept up at that low of a sample size sadly. It's already below any statistical logic and decreasing :(
This thread needs to stay bumped again. I'm sure with Mario there won't be a problem.

EDIT: Too bad Airship Fortress isn't in the Mario Kart DS picks.

Drakken

Looking at the results for round 9, the only thing that would have changed as far as the top 10 songs go is that Earth Painting would be in there, so I guess it's not a huge deal. I'm happy to see that Journey to Silius squeaked in at #10, though it really deserves to be higher than that. How did the Lunar 2 music do so poorly? Those would have gotten some decent points from me. Amazing to see that two Mass Effect songs got in (and placed that high); that game's music worked fine while playing the game but it's way too insubstantial for a contest like this. Song of Mana is a fantastic song; I'm sorry to see that get passed over. Arnhem is another great vocal, very powerful. Water from Last Ninja 3 had a nice feel to it.

I'll have to check out Madara; that does indeed sound like quality Konami chiptunage.

Alright, enough random thoughts, here's a rough idea of how my list (at least the top picks) would have looked:

1) Legend of Mana - Song of Mana (Ending Theme)
2) Journey to Silius - Stage 1
3) Lunar 2: Eternal Blue - Crowded Street Corner (super cheerful)
4) Medal of Honor Frontlines - Arnhem
5) Kingdom Hearts - Hikari
6) Kingdom Hearts 2 - Passion (Japanese Version)
7) Lunar 2: Eternal Blue - Field to Tomorrow
8) Kirby Super Star - King Dedede's theme
9) Last Ninja 3 - Water
10) Legend of Mana - Earth Painting
11) Madara - Overworld
12) Little Big Adventure - Theme
13) Marvel vs Capcom 2 - River Stage (genre bias)
14) Lost Odyssey - A Return, Indeed... (somewhere in there)
15) Mafia - Main Theme
16) Lords of Thunder - Desert Stage

LocoRoco's Theme, The Instinct, Opening Theme, Another Side, Credits, and the other Lost Odyssey songs would have likely fought over the remaining points (or even replaced some of those bottom picks, not sure).

Also, King Boo Battle...are you kidding me?

On another note, I feel so bad for any games not named Mario in this round. :(

Sixfortyfive

Death_Born said:
For the next set, could you add some more Megaman ZX music? I can't decide because they're all so awesome.
So far I've been willing to switch out individual tracks from one game for different tracks from the same game, but I'm probably not going to pull songs from one game to make room for songs from a different game. There will be a late nom round or 2 to make up for some omissions, though.

ZealousD said:
I agree that Hornet Man is pretty weak and I do like the final boss music better, but I think Wily Stage 1 on MM9 is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHTIdZyULOo
This would also be an acceptable substitute, so I'll go with it if there are no other comments by Monday. I just think the MM list is lacking a good boss theme.

PBalfredo

Oh man. So much quality Mario music. Just trying to shorten it down to a list of 20 is going to be brutal, let alone then ranking the songs. This is 10x harder than the Final Fantasy list.

(poor, poor Metal Slug is going to be left so far behind in the dust)

Scipius

Voted for the SMB3 Airship theme, though it wasn't the version I had in mind.

I was floored when I first heard the orchestrated version of the Airship theme in SMG. I recognised it immediately from SMB3, but it was amazing to finally hear the song as it must have been intended.

The 3 songs per game limit is very cruel to SMG.

Azure J

1. Super Mario Galaxy - Gusty Garden Galaxy
2. Super Mario Bros 3 - Grass Land (World 1)
3. Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door - Big Bowser Koopa Krush
4. Super Mario Galaxy - Final Bowser Battle
5. Mario Kart 64 - Credits
6. Super Mario 64 - Dire Dire Docks
7. Super Mario 64 - Main Theme
8. Super Mario Land 2 - Wario's Castle Theme
9. Paper Mario - Bowser's Rage
10. Mario Kart 64 - Rainbow Road
11. Super Mario Bros 3 - Airship
12. Super Mario Bros - Starman
13. Super Mario 64 - Koopa's Road

Also, a little note from me. I will personally hunt down and torture anyone who doesn't vote for both Paper Mario Bowser themes and Mario Kart 64's Credits theme. :lol

ZealousD

2. Monty On the Run - Main Theme
3. Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door - Big Bowser Koopa Krush
4. Mario Kart 64 - Rainbow Road
5. Mario Kart 64 - Credits
6. Super Mario Land - Easton Kingdom
7. Super Mario World - Overworld
8. Super Mario Bros 2 USA - Overworld
9. Super Mario 64 - Dire Dire Docks
10. Super Mario Galaxy - Buoy Base Galaxy
11. Super Mario Bros 3 - Overworld 2
12. Super Mario Bros - Overworld
13. Super Mario Galaxy - Final Bowser Battle
14. Super Mario 64 - Main Theme
15. Super Mario Land - Birabuto Kingdom
16. Super Mario Bros 3 - Airship
17. Mario Tennis - Game Point
18. New Super Mario Bros - Main Theme
19. Metal Slug 7 - Final Attack
20. Super Mario 64 - Koopa's Road

Mario has lots of great stuff in it, this coming from somebody who's always never been a huge Mario fan. Enough that I was actually able to pick 20 songs for a round.

IF MONTY ON THE RUN DOES NOT MAKE IT, I WILL KILL YOU ALL. God damn that's a fucking amazing surprise for this round. I've never played the game but that song is fucking epic.

Azure J

This thread is really a brilliant idea you know. I just started up the Mischeif Makers Song #9 and holy crap if it isn't good. I should start listening to everything before voting rather than let my childhood memories of things cause others to get outvoted.

ZealousD

WITH A DULL SPOON. I WILL KILL YOU ALL WITH A DULL, RUSTY SPOON

*clear throat*

So yeah, vote for Monty.

Son of Godzilla said:
I can't believe how many people like Gusty Garden. It's the fucking epitome of bland background music.
muj1i9.gif

Sixfortyfive

Son of Godzilla said:
I can't believe how many people like Gusty Garden. It's the fucking epitome of bland background music.
I'd vote for it if the fast-tempo Purple Coin variant was nominated instead. I don't really like this version.

ZealousD

Son of Godzilla said:
That Mischief Makers Song #9 is amazing. And I didn't realize till now that I hate most Mario music. Although Forest Maze is my number one.

DID YOU VOTE FOR MONTY?

*readies spoon*

ZealousD said:
DID YOU VOTE FOR MONTY?

*readies spoon*
Yes. Yes I did. Due in no part to yourself though, people who like Gusty Elevator Music can't be trusted.

I think my list was something like:

Mario RPG - Forest Maze
Mario Bros - Starman
Mischief Makers Song #9
SMB3 - Overworld 2
Monkey Island theme
MONTY
More Mario crap because I felt obligated to make a list of 10.

Cosmozone

10 places are probably enough for this set:

1. Super Mario Galaxy - Buoy Base Galaxy
2. Super Mario Galaxy - Gusty Garden Galaxy
3. Monkey Island - Theme
4. Super Mario 64 - Dire Dire Docks
5. Monkey Island 2 - Main Theme
6. Dr. Mario 64 - Chill
7. Super Mario RPG - Forest Maze
8. Super Mario Land - Birabuto Kingdom
9. Super Mario Bros 2 USA - Overworld
10. Super Mario Bros - Overworld

The nominations were rather weak. If I knew that beforehand, I had put some more effort in my Mario nominations. For Dr. Mario Chill, I had preferred the Game Boy version for example. At least Super Mario Galaxy is intact, as two the most important themes easily kill all other Mario music in the list. Some of the others are pretty iconic, though. Nonetheless, Buoy Base is the most outstanding piece. I'll be enraged if it doesn't make the top ten. For the other games, only Monkey Island came up with something good, luckily it's not only good, it's great. :) I'm so hoping they don't get squeezed out by all that Mario music most of which is not too interesting. The only non-Galaxy (nominated) tune that really stands out is Dire Dire Docks.

And wow at the last results. The first time somebody listens to me (except Mass Effect, bleh). Wait, you said, it's only a coincidence? Bummer!

Cosmozone

ZealousD said:
NO MONTY! NO LIVE!

*kills you with a dull, rusty spoon*
Sorry, too much competition. There were actually a lot of songs I deemed on the same level, but ordering them would've been the horror. It was practically the same thing as with the last set. There was a ton of music that was somewhat decent, but nothing too outstanding. I think it's also more fair to my favorites on the set. I could've even cut off at no. 6 but that would be perhaps too harsh.

/voicefromthegrave

Gruco

Banned
Strangely, while I don't consider this a particularly strong round, I cast more votes than I have in a while. Also, Gusty Garden is going to like, lap the competition this time.

2. Mischief Makers - Song #9
3. Super Mario RPG - Forest Maze
4. Monty On the Run - Main Theme
5. Super Mario 64 - Dire Dire Docks
6. Mischief Makers - Song #15
7. Mischief Makers - Song #23
8. Mario Tennis - Game Point
9. Mario Tennis Power Tour - Grass Court (2)
10. Mario Kart 64 - Rainbow Road
11. Super Mario 64 - Koopa's Road
12. Super Mario Land - Chai Kingdom
13. Super Mario Galaxy - Final Bowser Battle

PBalfredo

1. Super Mario World - Ending
2. Metal Slug 7 - Final Attack
3. Mario Kart 64 - Credits
4. Mario Kart 64 - Rainbow Road
5. Super Mario Galaxy - Gusty Garden Galaxy
6. Super Mario 64 - Koopa's Road
7. Super Mario Galaxy - Buoy Base Galaxy
8. Super Mario Bros - Overworld
9. Super Mario 64 - Main Theme
10. Super Mario Galaxy - Final Bowser Battle
11. Super Mario RPG - Forest Maze
12. Super Mario 64 - Dire Dire Docks
13. Super Mario World - King Bowser
14. Super Mario Bros 2 USA - Overworld
15. Super Mario Bros - Underground
16. Super Mario Land - Birabuto Kingdom
17. Dr. Mario 64 - Chill
18. Paper Mario - Bowser's Rage
19. Super Mario Bros 3 - Grass Land (World 1)
20. Super Mario Bros 3 - Airship

I'm hoping Metal Slug will get some recognition
it won't :(

I laugh in the face of ZealousD's spoony threats.

Sixfortyfive

This one will stay up for another 5 hours or so. Monday updates usually come late.

If anyone has any suggestions for changes to the next round, let me know. The only one I'm making as of now is swapping out MM9's Hornet Man for Wily 1.

Masked Man

I said wow
Tough decisions to make this time around!

Super Mario Bros - Overworld
Super Mario World - Ending
Super Mario 64 - Dire Dire Docks
Super Mario RPG - Forest Maze
New Super Mario Bros - Main Theme
Super Mario 64 - Koopa's Road
Mario Kart DS - Waluigi Pinball
Super Mario Galaxy - Gusty Garden Galaxy
Super Mario World - Overworld
Super Mario Bros 2 USA - Overworld
Super Mario Bros 3 - Overworld 2
Super Mario 64 - Main Theme
Super Mario Bros 3 - Grass Land (World 1)
Super Mario Bros 3 - Airship
Super Mario Bros - Underground
Paper Mario - Bowser's Rage
Super Mario Galaxy - Final Bowser Battle
New Super Mario Bros - Boss Battle
Super Mario Kart - Mario Circuit 1
Monty On the Run - Main Theme

Difficult, but I was generally satisfied. So many fond memories. :D

ZealousD

PBalfredo said:
I laugh in the face of ZealousD's spoony threats.

You have no fear eh?

Then what if I spooned.... YOUR MOTHER!?

Pun intended.

Top Bottom