• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime that need more love!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambition

Welcome-to-the-NHK-2.jpg

Is a personal favourite. Watched it many years back. Doesn't seen to be that well known.

Everyone needs to watch this

Collete

Aria the Animation, Natural and Origination by far I will praise it till I'm old and gray (it's the same series, but the seasons are named differently as such.)

0.jpg

It didn't really get enough popularity due to it's slice of life theme and a lot of people didn't understand that type of anime at the time. It didn't really have action or what not, but it was a very relaxing anime.

It takes place on a future Mars that is renamed Aqua. The planet has been terraformed to become 90% engulfed in water. They have learned from their previous ways on earth to not harm the environment and instead be healthy to the planet and treat it with respect.
One way to show the beauty and love for the planet is to ride on a gondola tour in a replica city on Aqua, Neo-Venezia.

The show follows Akari, an apprentice gondolier that was originally born on earth and moved to Aqua. She discovers the joy and life on being in a planet that focus on simplicity and the slow flow of time that makes you enjoy being alive.

The show has a lot of jaw dropping backgrounds and scenes that give you a feel that you want to be in such a world.
Not to mention the sound track was absolutely amazing which had a European/Italian vibe to it. I still listen to the sound track every now and then when I want to feel nostalgic or motivated.
Almost each episode gave you a warm fuzzy feeling or a sense of enjoyment of wanting to be immersed in Aqua.
And not to mention, the second season, Aria the Natural gets into the lore of Aqua that gives you a sense of wonderment of what really happened on the planet before Akari's time.
It's one of the animes that actually changed my life to want to pursue my dreams of living such a simple and fulfilling life.

Shounen Hollywood - It behaves more like a live action show than an anime. It's also a slow, but thoughtful critique of the teen idol industry.

cajunator

Banned
Everyone needs to watch this

yes! NHK is great!!

Aria the Animation, Natural and Origination by far I will praise it till I'm old and gray (it's the same series, but the seasons are named differently as such.)

0.jpg

It didn't really get enough popularity due to it's slice of life theme and a lot of people didn't understand that type of anime at the time. It didn't really have action or what not, but it was a very relaxing anime.

It takes place on a future Mars that is renamed Aqua. The planet has been terraformed to become 90% engulfed in water. They have learned from their previous ways on earth to not harm the environment and instead be healthy to the planet and treat it with respect.
One way to show the beauty and love for the planet is to ride on a gondola tour in a replica city on Aqua, Neo-Venezia.

The show follows Akari, an apprentice gondolier that was originally born on earth and moved to Aqua. She discovers the joy and life on being in a planet that focus on simplicity and the slow flow of time that makes you enjoy being alive.

The show has a lot of jaw dropping backgrounds and scenes that give you a feel that you want to be in such a world.
Not to mention the sound track was absolutely amazing which had a European/Italian vibe to it. I still listen to the sound track every now and then when I want to feel nostalgic or motivated.
Almost each episode gave you a warm fuzzy feeling or a sense of enjoyment of wanting to be immersed in Aqua.
And not to mention, the second season, Aria the Natural gets into the lore of Aqua that gives you a sense of wonderment of what really happened on the planet before Akari's time.
It's one of the animes that actually changed my life to want to pursue my dreams of living such a simple and fulfilling life.

Aria is gorgeous. Love it so much!

Negima would be my pick. They honestly should have waited 2 more years before starting a series for it and having to create an ending because the manga was nowhere near done. Granted I only read up through volume 18, it seemed like it could have had much more done with it than the 2 throw away shows they had.

Koren

yes! NHK is great!!
It's a nice show, indeed. And it makes visiting Yokohama even more enjoyable...

In fact, I enjoyed visiting Japan even more when I tried to find places I had seen in anime. Such as Hamamatsu for Ichigo Marchmallow, Yokohama for Sola, Onomichi for Kamichu, Matsue for Blue Seed... (the list is *very* long, especially if you take into account Tokyo and Osaka suburbs). It's a great way to visit "normal" places, non-touristic areas, and I enjoyed most, if not all, of them. For example, I would never have visited Onomichi without Kamichu, and it's a really nice place, with charming people (which don't see many strangers, and are more than happy to chat a bit).

Seto no Hanayome
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Working!!
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Ookami-san
Otome Youkai Zakuro
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Kamisama no Memochou
C3 - Cube x Cursed x Curious
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Kokoro Connect
Oda Nobuna no Yabou
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo
Gin no Saji
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Barakamon

Most of these are pretty niche in the eyes of Western Anime fans, while they're not perfect they certainly add variety.

I would love to find an Anime society that isn't just made up of Pokemon, Attack on Titan, K-On, Black Butler, Bleach, Death Note etc. fans.

Xam'd Lost Memories

Best soundtrack of any anime + great animation + one of the best female chgarcters in all anime + convoluted plot but not generic or predictable

tumblr_mglglgwLXb1r90u3jo1_500.gif

tumblr_mp2m3evOL51qiyx4bo1_500.gif

tumblr_nca79sj5sy1qfbz1so1_500.gif

tumblr_mnw3djgsQn1rwv2mgo4_500.gif

Koren

I would love to find an Anime society that isn't just made up of Pokemon, Attack on Titan, K-On, Black Butler, Bleach, Death Note etc. fans.
That's what most people can discover pretty easily... so that's not really surprising. I'm lucky I met people that really wanted to find the best they could in animation and share it...

Speaking of Japan, I love that when "normal" japanese people discover you're interested in animation, it's always "so, do you know One Piece/Naruto/FMA?" They're impressed by this... But when they asked what you liked and you reply with the kind of anime in your list, things gets far more interesting (or creepy, depends).

I can't forget the face of the researcher I was working with at this time when he turned to one of its students to ask "do you have any idea of what he's talking about?" ^_^ (and I had taken not-so-obscure titles, like Lucky Star and Code Geass, so thank god I found some help from the student) That being said, he surprised me a couple of weeks later when I said I had visited Hakone and he asked whether it was because of Evangelion... While I had seen the series, but I was totally unaware of the fact that it was in Hakone, even if when I watched it afterwards, there's no doubt.

That's what most people can discover pretty easily... so that's not really surprising. I'm lucky I met people that really wanted to find the best they could in animation and share it...

Speaking of Japan, I love that when "normal" japanese people discover you're interested in animation, it's always "so, do you know One Piece/Naruto/FMA?" They're impressed by this... But when they asked what you liked and you reply with the kind of anime in your list, things gets far more interesting (or creepy, depends).

I can't forget the face of the researcher I was working with at this time when he turned to one of its students to ask "do you have any idea of what he's talking about?" ^_^ (and I had taken not-so-obscure titles, like Lucky Star and Code Geass, so thank god I found some help from the student) That being said, he surprised me a couple of weeks later when I said I had visited Hakone and he asked whether it was because of Evangelion... While I had seen the series, but I was totally unaware of the fact that it was in Hakone, even if when I watched it afterwards, there's no doubt.

It's only on specific Anime forums that I find like-minded Anime fans, even among real life fans I'm alone ;_;

Yeah most people think Anime is a common thing in Japan but really it's only the super mainstream for kids show like Doraemon or Nintama that gets around, the otaku stuff that we are used to are only watched by a small portion. A common mistake is to show off your Power Level to the normal folk ^_^;

Chariot

Xam'd Lost Memories

Best soundtrack of any anime + great animation + one of the best female chgarcters in all anime + convoluted plot but not generic or predictable
If only the ending would fit better. I could swear, they didn't watch their episode count until three episodes before the end and then rushed something together.

tuffy

Though it got overshadowed by Tenchi Muyo!, I've always thought that El-Hazard: the Magnificent World was much better and is some of Hiroki Hayashi's best work.

Rarity

School Rumble.

One of all-time greatest slice-of-life school/romance comedies ever.

narubl+22.jpg

References, humour, characters, music, everything

Funimation has almost all of it on their Youtube channel free:
DUB - Episode 1
SUB - Episode 1

Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey

MILLENNIUM ACTRESS

Nichijou, imho

rhkbB.gif

Look up "nichistuffs"

iKYl6H2e8kDBN.gif

I agree with all of these choices. And this gif is the reason I watched Nichijou.

Also, I'll always recommend Kaleido Star.

Mr. Desu

No, really. Kara no Kyoukai.
tumblr_n9dzj8qshH1sk6x9qo1_500.gif

tumblr_n06lblOVam1ro861co1_500.gif

tumblr_mewcq9xapK1r11qslo1_250.gif

It's something that could have been done as not an anime, if that makes sense. It could have been pulled off by actual actors, but the fact that it was Anime and the fact that so much was put into the animation to make it the believable world it is is really, really something.

The GIFs do it no justice and tell nothing of the tale. It is not a slice of life as you might imagine. It's a story regarding the supernatural which also has one of the most beautiful relationships I've seen in Anime sewn in.

javac

Texhnolyze is my pick for an anime that needs a lot more love. This is a show that will when it's all said and done leave the viewer not only lost for words but also in a state of melancholy as you contemplate on what had just occurred. It'll take you a while to come to terms and grasp the implications of the ending and you'll often find yourself in a zen like state after every episode as you come to terms with its unique pace that is unlike any other show out there.

This is a show that never tells you how to feel, from its music to its visuals and its neutral color palette. There's no clear line between good and bad, and this often leaves you in a struggle as you try to find a moral ground for these characters, often leaving yourself unsure of what you should feel for each member of the cast.

It'll emotionally drain you, yet you'll often feel at ease as the soundtrack lulls you by, making you feel somewhat calm amongst all the chaos but still aware of its implications. No two characters are alike and each one is incredibly flawed but remarkably human. Each character develops organically and it often takes them in directions we didn't expect.

A great use of sound is utilized throughout the show. The music varies from many genres and the use of sound creates an intimate atmosphere that keeps you invested in the story.

The show is thought provoking and powerful. It delves into many themes that will get you thinking. From survival in the darkest times in our lives to the uses of technology and the ways in which technology can be implemented into our lives and the unbiased, sometimes cold nature of such appliances and how the ways in which we choose to utilize said technology can sometimes make us feel more human then we once were.

Chariot

Idk, Xam'd felt like an E7 palette swap
Huh, while it had traits (like the colorful crew, adults who want to protect children) that a lot of BONES original projects share, I felt that it was significant different from Eureka Seven. I found the relationship between the progagonist's parents a very appealing side story, the love interest was proactive and did hings on her own behalf, instead of being someones soldier and one of the most important things of all: Xam'd didn't have a pack of annoying children that made me wanna punch kittens.

cajunator

Banned
Seto no Hanayome
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Working!!
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Ookami-san
Otome Youkai Zakuro
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Kamisama no Memochou
C3 - Cube x Cursed x Curious
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Kokoro Connect
Oda Nobuna no Yabou
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo
Gin no Saji
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Barakamon

Most of these are pretty niche in the eyes of Western Anime fans, while they're not perfect they certainly add variety.

I have most of those shows on bluray. Nice choices :D

JC Sera

Katanagatari
Disclaimer: If you don't like too much talking then this isn't for you. Wonderful series. Will make you fall in love with every character
and then casually murder them.
Psychopass
IMO one of the best sci-fi series (including outside of anime) of the year.
Baccano!
From the creators of Durarara, except its complete. Set in the 1930s, about mafia, terrorists, idiot thieves, serial killers, assassins and immortal alchemists. On a train.
Yami Shibai
Short horror stories. Really really good. 5 minutes each.

ohlawd

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

Probably my favorite show in years.

Main dude is like that friend of yours who is negative all the time but when you stop and think about it, they're just being realistic. Yeah. I think it's great hearing how this guy rationalizes his thoughts. Watch this pls.

And it has Nao Touyama and Saori Hayami as the female leads so your ears will thank you for watching this show.

Daily Lives of High School Boys

This is some funny shit. Mostly guys doing some dumb stuff. The girls do dumb stuff too.

Has Youko Hikasa in her best role and all she does is scream unintelligible shit.

Air master. Fighting/comedy

The fighting starts of kind of silly and gets way better as the show goes on. The comedy is weird and stupid so it's right up my alley.

Kisaya

Must say, this is the only post in this thread that kinda make me get back into anime and watch this. Seems like it actually has a unique style and a high rating on myanimelist. I might actually have to watch this.

Woah now this looks interesting. Is the whole show in that art style?

Yes it is in that style! Just make sure you watch episodes 9-11 of Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales before watching Mononoke! :)

I can't believe this was never localized. There's no legit way to watch it?

No, unfortunately :/ Unless you wanna buy the new DVD collection they just released.

If it interests you guys, they're the same team that made Trapeze as well.

javac

I'll post another one that is near and dear to my heart.

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

This is a 7 episode OVA that in my opinion has one of the best build-ups to the ending which is highly satisfying and manages to pull on all sorts of emotions as it intricately reveals the plot and the key meaning behind the show as it pulls the curtain and leaves everything on stage for you to see.

The soundtrack, my God is it good. Masamichi Amano delivers a sweeping soundtrack that delights the ears as the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra masterfully articulate every emotion on screen. The soundtrack in this show is by far one of the greatest in anime and one that will stick with its viewer for years to come.

Development on this show started all the way back in 1992 and concluded in 1998 and the amount of time used in order to create this show is visible in every single frame. The animation is lively, highly detailed, crisp and full of charm and the designs are unconventional and a delight.

Each character is deep with their true intentions unbeknownst to the viewer until the final pieces come into play, as if a master chess player had been manipulating the show the entire time.

Everything looks retro, with a clear intention to replicate and pay homage to the shows of yesteryear and the designs are both expressive and downright wonderful. The Japanese voice acting is sublime, with every nuance and emotion coming through loud and clear.

You will laugh, cry and watch on in amazement as the show progresses. It's slick but thought provoking. Every character means something, and you will easily become attached to them all long before the show is over. A giant robot show with a lot of emphasis on the human characters and lots of hand to hand combat reminiscent of the wuxia films of the past.

A show that will blow you away and leave you mesmerized. A true classic.

oooo, I'd also like to mention Redline

"A down-on-his-luck driver enters a futuristic and deadly combat race!"

I mention Redline in every anime thread, it's also free to watch on Youtube! :D It's like F-Zero on acid. EVERYONE NEEDS TO WATCH THIS MOVIE.

EVERYONE.

I highly recommend the actually excellent English dub for this one :eek:

Riposte

I'll reuse a post I made in another thread, after editing out the other more popular entities:

Baccano! (early 20th century period American piece that mixes mobsters with light fantasy. The story is very complex with a half-dozen protagonists and prone to a lot of mystery. Can be jazzy and lighthearted one second and brutal and psychopathic in another. Its opening is one of the best and does a good job telling you what you are in for (while also playing with your expectations). Outstanding dub.)

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (an aged, idealistic space opera centered around the idea of corrupt democracy vs. virtuous autocracy that almost looks like a historical documentary; considered one of the epics of anime (although the final season is fairly rushed). Can be visually inconsistent, but the old style art is very charming if you are into that sort of thing. Although focused more on big ideas and the making of history, the camaraderie between the characters makes them easy to fall in love with. Do not watch the episode previews, they are literally meant for people who already know what's going to happen. There's a playlist on YouTube, no idea on how legal it is, but it presents the vast series in an organized, reasoned manner.)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Huh, while it had traits (like the colorful crew, adults who want to protect children) that a lot of BONES original projects share, I felt that it was significant different from Eureka Seven. I found the relationship between the progagonist's parents a very appealing side story, the love interest was proactive and did hings on her own behalf, instead of being someones soldier and one of the most important things of all: Xam'd didn't have a pack of annoying children that made me wanna punch kittens.

To me it felt like how a lot of folks feel about RahXephon compared to Neon Genesis Evangelion. They both have weird colorful crew on flying ships, lots of flying mech action with the same colorful flying energy, strange biological-hybrid mechs, a confusing convoluted story with lots of different factions and groups whos origins aren't explained early and well, a cold emotionless heroine with a mysterious past, an everyman male protag who get inexplicably thrown into the plot and love interest in the heroine (though these are common trope of course), and so on. At least that's how I feel about it.

Kite

12 Kingdoms
The Twelve Kingdoms is a series of novels that focus on a world inspired by Chinese mythology, where twelve different kingdoms exist under the rule of an individual chosen by the Heavens.

One of the major stories of the series centers around a girl named Yoko Nakajima from Japan who is suddenly transported to the world of the Twelve Kingdoms and searches for her destiny. However, neither the series nor the anime concentrates solely on Yoko, and they do tell stories of other characters. The anime uses Yoko as a framing device for telling other stories, while the novels do not.

The novels focus on several characters other than Yoko, including Taiki, a timid rare black Kirin who serves the ruler of Tai, and Enki and Shouryuu, the Kirin and King of En, respectively. Other major characters include Keiki, the blunt and apparently cold minister of Kei who brings Yoko to the Twelve Kingdoms; Gyousou, a general chosen by Taiki to become King of Tai; Shushou, the Queen of Kyou; Shoukei, the disposed princess of Hou, and Suzu, a peasant girl who is unexpectedly transported from Japan to the Twelve Kingdoms.

Each of the Twelve Kingdoms has a monarch and a kirin, a mythological beast who first selects, and then serves, the monarch of his or her kingdom, and can assume human form. Though only a few rulers and kirin are in the main focus of the story, many are encountered in the series and play a significant role.
JVDLUzy.jpg

1O8NKZg.jpg

j00uYal.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom