• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatred - Reveal & Gameplay Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

Thing on the shirt looks like this: Żołnierze wyklęci
Gotta read it myself.
Hm, so far it sounds like they were just fighting the Stalin occupation? Many of them apparently already fought the nazi occupation

Armia Krajowa (or simply AK)-the main Polish resistance movement in World War II-had officially disbanded on 19 January 1945 to prevent a slide into armed conflict with the Red Army, including an increasing threat of civil war over Poland's sovereignty. However, many units decided to continue on with their struggle under new circumstances, seeing the Soviet forces as new occupiers.

But I guess they could look attractive to modern nationalist groups.

Bloodrage

Banned
jbuo8jE0rKJunU.JPG
What an incredibly misinformed tweet.

My polish isn't that good and the text too small on the shirt but translated it says cursed soldiers, which is reference to the people (both men and women) that fought against polish communism and Stalinism/Soviets.

I'm not an expert but have a fairly good understanding on European history and I have direct family split amongst German, Danish and Polish bloodlines so I understand the languages.

Here is some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursed_soldiers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_resistance_movement_in_World_War_II

"Cursed Soldiers" has nothing to do with neo-nazism (at least to my knowledge), I don't know what some obscure modern movement may have adopted and transformed/manipulated to their agenda though. But his shirt and from what we know of him based on this picture has nothing to do with neo-nazism. I can't even begin to understand how one can come to that assumption in the first place unless you're fishing.

Manhunt was nowhere near as bad. You were playing as a serial killer yes but you were also murdering other scumbag neo-nazis and serial killers. The context and tone there is wildly different. You can say Manhunt was in bad taste or a bad game but the context and tone of the two games are nowhere near the same.

I don't give a flying fuck about the given narrative as that's easily something that can be dropped in to excuse the actions the player is participating in. It was a game based primarily upon the thrill of killing in rather realistic and vicious ways with barely any other structure to give it value...no teamplay, no sport-like elements, no humor, and no real statement made. Just dark shit for the sake of immersing yourself in it. Besides, Manhunt was still a level above this, not anywhere this awful with its focus on 'kill all the innocents you can find' goal.

Empty

so it looks like it's just referring to a group that attempted to combat subordination by the Soviet armies post- WWII? not sure what further subtext there is to that. doesn't seem to be particularly neo-nazi however.

the implication made by the people on twitter sharing that seems to be that they're particularly celebrated in popular culture as heroes by polish neo-nazi/extreme right groups, with the shirts being a calling card

i have no idea whether that's true as i'm ignorant of polish culture and politics

Twenty Million sold and counting.

::Shrug:: The conversations about Trevor in GTA5 and Niko in GTA4 and how they either always were, or turn into, complete psychopaths is an interesting one, and one that I think has more to do with narrative failings than anything else. Still, it's interesting how they make the player do things they abjectly don't want to do.

GTA is an interesting piece when talking about violence in video games because there are so many complexities. I doubt Hatred will have the same nuances.

It is interesting, especially since I'm also one of the millions of people who gleefully do all sorts of vile stuff in GTA. The most interesting thing about Hatred will be how much it will be adopted as the proverbial fig leaf for enjoying ultraviolence in other games. The gamer doth protest too much.

Majukun

don't like this at all.
boring gameplay and premise used just to get attention from the media and sell something using that.

These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment – we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure

Well, this guy has a very particular idea about "pure gaming pleasure". Generally I associate "gaming pleasure" with PlatinumGames or EAD games...

And if you want to be "politically Incorrect" be it in a constructive way instead a mindless, dumb and offensive one.

fake edit: And videogames in 2014 are a kind of hight art.

the implication made by the people on twitter sharing that seems to be that they're particularly celebrated in pophttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=134609086?&styleid=40ular culture as heroes by polish neo-nazi/extreme right groups, with the shirts being a calling card

i have no idea whether that's true as i'm ignorant of polish culture and politics

Could it be the dev team is trying to gain publicity positive or negative for this game ?

The Goat

Looks like a crappy shooter, with an over the top premise. Can't wait to see all the news organizations pick up on this. I'm sure that's what they are banking on. Hopefully, it gets ignored.

XenodudeX

So basically this is a mass murder simulator, then. The main protagonist's motive is pretty similar to many real life mass murders.

Basketball

from their facebook

"Here we go... Brace yourselves for the reveal trailer of our first game – Hatred. Take note that this fine tool of propaganda consists purely of in-game footage! Visit our website for more info: http://www.hatredgame.com/

Love it, or hate it. There's no in-between!

Spread it on the web! Share it! Bring it everywhere and let the haters hate! (And they will, oh they will...)'

They're not lying about that

soultron

Banned
Could it be the dev team is trying to gain publicity for this game ?

FTFY

They've already received a 13-page GAF thread on it, I'm sure some sites will cover it soon as well. You could argue that not covering the game would be a better move for sites that disagree with the content, but I'd rather see them critique it, to be honest.

Kinyou

from their facebook

"Here we go... Brace yourselves for the reveal trailer of our first game – Hatred. Take note that this fine tool of propaganda consists purely of in-game footage! Visit our website for more info: http://www.hatredgame.com/

Love it, or hate it. There's no in-between!

Spread it on the web! Share it! Bring it everywhere and let the haters hate! (And they will, oh they will...)'

They're not lying about that
They certainly want that kind of publicity.

Also no pun about hating a game that's called Hatred? Missed opportunity.

Seanspeed

Banned
FTFY

They've already received a 13-page GAF thread on it, I'm sure some sites will cover it soon as well. You could argue that not covering the game would be a better move for sites that disagree with the content, but I'd rather see them critique it, to be honest.
Sucks this game is getting so much attention when so many other properly great looking indie games get so little.

I suppose the message is - it pays to be controversial.

ElTopo

Banned
I applaud a game for exploring this kind of thing. But I fear that it will probably be like GTA where you fight the Cops and SWAT teams, it's fun for a couple minutes and then quickly gets boring.

KaiserBecks

What does that even mean? Its a piece of media that has an obvious point of view. Should we not even critic it because it is just a videogame. Should we not critic a film because it is just a movie? If people find that this isn't offensive then let them defend it. Critics can defend the media's portrayal of the topic.

Of course you can criticise it. You can criticise anything. But taking a moral high ground and pretending to know where to draw the line isn't criticism. Swap those "people" with zombies and all of a sudden it's totally fine. Same goes for all those arguments around context and justifiable violence. Bullshit.

No way in hell am I buying a murder of innocents sim and neither should anyone else.

If you want soccer mom's and congressional douche bags looking to get reelected to ruin our hobby then this is the game to buy.

Besides, it looks vile.

Well guys, I think we found the line.

This looks like a game designed by a misanthropic 17 year-old. The devs are free to make whatever game they want, but it feels like a seriously vile step back for an industry that is trying to be taken seriously. I guess at the end of the day it's not that different from extreme horror movies and the like, but it just feels so icky and exploitative. Which is probably the exact reaction the devs are going for.

To the people comparing this to Hotline Miami, Uncharted, and zombie games/movies are you serious? This is (ostensibly) a game purely about murdering innocent people. Huge, huge, difference. Gross.

soultron

Banned
They certainly want that kind of publicity.

Also no pun about hating a game that's called Hatred? Missed opportunity.

Hatred just seems like a bland doom metal band name, which seems fitting with how their player character is a bland, uninspired metalhead caricature.

I have read on twitter people are emailing Epic about their engine being associated with this game. Can Epic realistically do anything about it?

No way in hell am I buying a murder of innocents sim and neither should anyone else.

If you want soccer mom's and congressional douche bags looking to get reelected to ruin our hobby then this is the game to buy.

Besides, it looks vile.

So... don't buy a violent game or else our violent games will be taken away... ?

They got tired of conservative news networks calling violent games "mass murder simulators", so they decided to really show them what that looks like

LMFAO when the camera pans up and its a fuckin twin stick shooter

I find myself drawn to this topic again because it does raise interesting related questions.

We've seen very similar gameplay in other games and came to the conclusion that context is everything (because genocide is fine in those games).

What's the extent of the changes these devs here would have to do to make this "acceptable"? Release a separate mode that turns all the enemies into zombies? Put all the enemies into Nazi uniforms? Give your guy a Punisher skin and say that the NPCs are all members of the Mafia? Not change anything and just create a splash screen at the start with text that states that you're the last surviving human on earth, and all the NPCs you encounter are alien body snatchers that have killed their human hosts and are just mimicking their behaviour?

Seeing as I haven't played the game yet everything I say here is speculative on what the game is actually about but there's a difference between making a game where you can kill civilians and making a game about killing civilians.

If you were to make a game with the exact same mechanics and tone as Hatred but have the win state being killing one specific character in the world and provide all the narrative accouterments to make killing that character believable in that world, you can include the ability to mass murder civilians (provided it's player choice and you don't reward the player for doing so). The game will still raise red flags and garner controversy but ultimately, the onus to do terrible shit is on the player.

GTA games support mass murder but never acknowledge it's a viable solution to a problem or even say "this a thing you can do" and although they get a bit of heat from the mass media, most people know it's not actually a murder simulator.

By saying the murder of civilians is the explicit goal, everything grotesque or fucked up that the player does to a civilian is on the hands of the developer and makes them come off as sadists. There could be a plot twists that says "turns out the player character was right and everyone you killed was infected" that makes the narrative more noble but ultimately the ludo-narrative is still rotten.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I have read on twitter people are emailing Epic about their engine being associated with this game. Can Epic realistically do anything about it?

I doubt that very much. And neither should they.
Honestly any anger or hatred (hurhur) against this thing is completly pointless. It'll come out and some point, nobody is gonna talk about it and then it'll disappear again. Doing anything to hinder the development will only make it more popular. Just leave it be.

notworksafe

This makes me think of a combo of Postal, Madworld, and the Punisher game for PS2...not sure why.

With it being in Unreal, I could see some really goofy mods coming out for this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
And here I thought no game could ever offend me again. Huh.

edit: yeah I don't think I want to ever talk about this game again. Just let it die out on its own.

Just about 100% of all games enthusiast press likes to yell "awesome!" at exploding heads in 1080p gory detail. It'll be interesting to see the same people falling over themselves trying to act all concerned about this.

taizuke

Looks like a crappy shooter, with an over the top premise. Can't wait to see all the news organizations pick up on this. I'm sure that's what they are banking on. Hopefully, it gets ignored.

Oh they'll pick up on it alright and ignore it afterwards. But, it'll make headlines every time some kid uses it as inspiration for a shooting. That's what is sad.

MYeager

I'm not sure this kind of game would be something I would want to play or would enjoy. It kind of looks like Postal but without any of the self referential humor. At the same time I think it's interesting as a game and want to hear more. I mean there are a lot of games where you brutally kill hundreds of enemies, is doing the same actions but in a different context okay in a fictional setting? Should be interesting to see what the point or goal of the game is and what discussion come from it at least.

Nope, but they have the right not to showcase it as a game that uses their engine on their website, etc. People doing that are just being silly. They might as well email everything else associated with the game from operating systems to middleware they use within the game other than the engine. Sometimes I wonder if these people know what reality is.

If Epic did that it would be censorship based on what some people do not like. That's not a good thing.

PetrCobra

Looks like it might be fun to play. The over the top violence is not going to put me off if it's fun to play. Might consider buying at some point.

Just about 100% of all games enthusiast press likes to yell "awesome!" at exploding heads in 1080p gory detail. It'll be interesting to see the same people falling over themselves trying to act all concerned about this.

Blowing people's heads off and other acts of ultraviolence are only okay when those people are bad people. Enjoying brutally murdering bad people doesn't make you a sick, violent person at all.

/s
EDIT: Actually, I don't think the "/s" is applicable here as I don't think enjoying brutal murder and violence in video games makes one a sick and violent person.

soultron

Banned

It's fine if people do that, but I don't think Epic should censor this. Do I agree with the game? No. Do I think we should start censoring people's games? No.

That's a slippery slope. What should stop gamergate people from trying to censor games they don't agree with then? Who decides what is acceptable as a game, and when it should be shut down?

They got tired of conservative news networks calling violent games "mass murder simulators", so they decided to really show them what that looks like

LMFAO when the camera pans up and its a fuckin twin stick shooter

I laughed. A+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom