• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"To Begin With? Everything." The Official ROCK BAND Thread (M3wThr33: WE HATE YOU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMUSIX

M3wThr33 said:
I'm VERY close to picking up the RHCP album.
Heh...despite it ending up lower than my list than I had expected, I like BSSM in Rock Band. In fact, I think almost every album they've released so far has been worth it....almost.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Staccat0 said:
I must mention (again) the Sleater Kinney pick was bizzare.

Absolutely. It makes me feel that as a proud member of the Pavement Bunch we should be careful what we wish for.

birdman

AMUSIX said:
Heh...despite it ending up lower than my list than I had expected, I like BSSM in Rock Band. In fact, I think almost every album they've released so far has been worth it....almost.

BSSM is pretty solid, and stands as the album with the most songs I've downloaded
until tomorrow when The Colour and the Shape comes out, but that's because I just love the Foos

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I wonder if we will get more Talking Heads ever. One of my favorite bands

I suggest "pulled up"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch-nP_OfVE0
AstroLad said:
Absolutely. It makes me feel that as a proud member of the Pavement Bunch we should be careful what we wish for.
fo sho. There is a lot places they could mess that up.

I'll take it 5 steps further.
"Cool for Cats" is an odd choice when "Another Nail for My Heart" would have been better IMO. I know I'm the only one here who likes Squeeze though.:lol

I know its impossible, but Fugazi would be sweet too.

AMUSIX said:
I can find this thread so much faster, so that makes it better.

As for albums in Rock Band, they are ranked as follows (from best to worst):

Boston
Texas Flood
The Best of the Who
Nothing's Shocking
Dr. Feelgood
Moving Pictures
The Best of No Doubt*
The Cars
Screaming for Vengeance
Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Peace Sells....But Who's Buying
The Colour and the Shape
Doolittle

*tentative placement, until final track list is announced

A note on some of the placements:
Boston easily stands at #1 by not having a single weak track in any of the 7 songs, something no other album can boast. Sure, it's missing Let Me Take You Home Tonight, but 1)that is the weakest song on the album and 2) by the time it comes up, the listeners were so far into coitus that noone knows it's even on there.

Doolittle is a musically incredible album, and great to listen to. Unfortunately it just has too many tracks that are either flat-out weak, or do not transfer well to the game. Sorry Pixies fans.

Moving Pictures was painful to place, but as perfect as those first four tracks are, the final three just start to slip. Witch Hunt is simply dull, and Vital Signs doesn't do much to remedy this.

Nice ranking list but that order definitely changes depending on the instrument you play. Not to mention if you haven't played all those albums you cannot simply just listen to the albums and rank them. (the Pixies are a prime example of this)

AMUSIX I'm not sure if you have all the albums? I remember us playing and you had alot of DLC but Im not sure. Texas Flood and No Doubt are not out yet so that shouldnt be on the list. You might as well throw in AC/DC in that list as well.

If I get bored I will probably rank all the albums/huge packs for drummers. You have inspired me.

Flynn

TheGreatDave said:
Doolittle is fairly awful. 3 or 4 songs are good, but Black's style of playing back then is frustrating to emulate on fake guitar at times.

Besides, it's the worst Pixies album anyway.

This is why I hate this thread.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Staccat0 said:
Surfer Rosa is the best.
Of the hundreds of albums that I own on CD, the top three worst would be...
1. No Code
2. Saint Anger
3. Surfer Rosa

M3wThr33

Banned
Added the whiny GodfatherX.

Anyways, I finally finished up the Marathon and unlocked all 84 songs. Did it mostly on expert guitar, switching to bass when needed, and hard bass on Visions.

Some statements.

1) FUCK Visions. Seriously. I may not like every metal song in the game, but I appreciate it. Visions is a PIECE OF SHIT. It's NOISE. There's nothing there. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd fucking PAY MONEY to have it removed. Without a doubt. Just to make sure it never comes up at parties or in random, ever. $5? How about blocking it from export in RB3?

2) Going through the song list of everything I have so far, I noticed very few artists that appeared in both RB1 and RB2 used songs from the same album. I stopped halfway, but the only notables were Bon Jovi and Nirvana. Nevermind had songs in RB1, RB2 and DLC. Maybe that's why they didn't do it all at once, because selling it as an album wouldn't fucking make sense.

xbhaskarx

Staccat0 said:
I wonder if we will get more Talking Heads ever. One of my favorite bands

stop-making-sense-dvd.jpg

FF_VIII

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Doolittle is fairly awful. 3 or 4 songs are good, but Black's style of playing back then is frustrating to emulate on fake guitar at times.

Besides, it's the worst album to ever be released in the history of music anyway.

Although I agree with your first sentence, I slightly tweaked your second one so I could agree on that as well.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

Belgand

Why does RB2 seem to pretend that Rolling Stone have any sort of influence, credibility, or really much of anything to do with music these days? That would be like pretending that MTV somehow has something to do with it.

The sharp increase in the amount of both nu-metal and shitty metal period is really hurting the platform as well. That's one of the biggest problems I had with the 20 song pack. The ability to delete or at least remove songs from play would be incredibly welcome.

Also RB2 really ramped up the difficulty. It's like GH1 and GH2. I feel like there's also less in the middle in RB2. As soon as it starts moving to harder material it takes a huge plunge into some very tough songs and doesn't let up until it's moved into legitimately insane songs (e.g. "Visions").

Personally the songs I'd like to banish:
  • "Chop Suey!" - System of a Down
  • "Colony of Birchmen" - Mastodon (I don't loathe it like some songs, but it's not to my tastes in metal and I don't enjoy listening to or playing it. It wouldn't be missed.)
  • "Down with the Sickness" - Disturbed
  • "Everlong" - Foo Fighters(I believe my feelings on the Foo Fighters are well-known and while the song isn't particularly offensive I find it incredibly annoying and unpleasant to play)
  • "My Own Worst Enemy" - Lit (I just hate this song. I hated it when it was popular and I just want it to go away)
  • "Nine in the Afternoon" - Panic at the Disco (As awful as this song is I heard it the other day at the mall helping my girlfriend find jeans. Any song playing in the Juniors section of Macy's is seriously problematic.)
  • "One Step Closer" - Linkin Park
  • "Shackler's Revenge" - Guns N' Roses (Axl spent all that time trying find a way to make an album that could possibly be worse than "The Spaghetti Incident?"
  • "Shoulder to the Plow" - Breaking Wheel (Fuck you Breaking Wheel. I've always hated your crap music since GH1.)
  • "Get Clean" - Anarchy Club (Same as Breaking Wheel except I really hate Anarchy Club including their terrible name.)
  • "So What'cha Want" - Beastie Boys (I don't like the Beastie Boys and I feel it has no place in the game. It's just not fun at all and it's not really appropriate for a game called Rock Band)
  • "Testify" - Rage Against the Machine (Again, don't like RATM. This song isn't fun on any instrument though which is why it gets the boot. Their songs in earlier games I didn't care for, but I could live with.)
  • "Visions" - Abnormality (If there was a button that said "Mail a box of shit back to Abnormality" you could consider it pressed.)

Sure there are other songs I wouldn't have chosen. That I find weak, lacking, poorly charted, not really great for the game or just unpleasant to hear (e.g. Paramore), but these are the ones that bother me and I can't just ignore them as easily. It's mainly a mix of "don't enjoy hearing it" and "don't enjoy playing it". There are some really hard songs that I'd like to be able to keep from showing up randomly (e.g. "Panic Attack") but these are the ones I just want gone.

I do have to say that even for songs I hate like this I'm still not certain I'd like to remove them with no chance of ever being able to bring them back. Aside from "Visions" that is. If including that was a joke by Harmonix it was not funny.

AMUSIX

BigBlackGamer said:
Nice ranking list but that order definitely changes depending on the instrument you play. Not to mention if you haven't played all those albums you cannot simply just listen to the albums and rank them. (the Pixies are a prime example of this)

AMUSIX I'm not sure if you have all the albums? I remember us playing and you had alot of DLC but Im not sure. Texas Flood and No Doubt are not out yet so that shouldnt be on the list. You might as well throw in AC/DC in that list as well.

If I get bored I will probably rank all the albums/huge packs for drummers. You have inspired me.
Gah, forgot about AC/DC in there. Not sure where I'd put it, probably pretty low because of the very weak vocals and the weak bass.

I have played all of the release albums, but, no, I don't have them all on my home account (my work account has a different track list, so that I can try them out before buying them at home). I'm a fan of the Pixies, and I do like the Doolittle album, I just don't think it works very well in game.

As for Texas Flood, Jane's Addiction, and No Doubt...well, I admit I ranked SRV a bit higher than I should, but I've gotten very good at judging the fun or interest of a track based on what I hear. But if you want, just remove those albums from the list. Still, I'd be surprised if those three ended up farther than a space from where I've placed them.

And, yes, the list changes around based on the instrument, but for these rankings I approached the albums with all four parts in mind. Sometimes albums got a bump because of an exeptional showing with a full band (The Cars) but more often than not albums got dropped due to a weak single instrument.

Belgand

Staccat0 said:
Even if you hate the band you have to admit that it actually looks like a film and is beautifully filmed. You must also admit David Byrne mad some crazy moves!

I have to disagree there. I like the film and I like Talking Heads, but if you don't like the band you're not going to get much out of it. Even if it was filmed well. It's also ridiculously overrated. It was very good, but there's a limit to it. It's a really good concert film, but that's the end of it.

Maybe I ought to see it again, but while we're on the subject of overrated I just never liked The Last Waltz. I never really cared for the Band or a majority of the guest artists and it just did absolutely nothing for me. I can respect what went into it, the entire production, and it's historic value, but I just don't want to hear almost any of it so it's lost on me.

M3wThr33

Banned
Belgand said:
I do have to say that even for songs I hate like this I'm still not certain I'd like to remove them with no chance of ever being able to bring them back. Aside from "Visions" that is. If including that was a joke by Harmonix it was not funny.

I mean, there's something WRONG there. Like, the singer must be the wife of one of the producers or some shit.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=89045741&blogID=415953602

what the fans are saying about visions on rockband 2
(From their own MySpace page)

"My drumkit just heard that song and broke."
-Apples

"Hahahahahaha. I refuse to believe that's a girl."
-WingsOfSteel

"To paraphrase The Venture Brothers, does she smoke cigarettes or does she eat them?"
-Hungryfreak

"Just terrible." -Grayshadow-PSN

"Sounds like Dethklok... But more metal. Edit: Sorry, BRUTAL!"
-Sarge51

"I really don't care about your opinions when i say this can't be called music. An old vacuum sounds better."
-Arageddon

"OMG YES YES YES FINALLY THANK YOU HARMONIX. CRAP! This mean I have to go through every song on the list to make sure I don't miss something else like this. now bring the opeth. No, I won't stop. And yes, to some of you, this is music. it's an aquired taste... and it's absolutely worth it. Props to harmonix for putting it in despire 'peer pressure' from some of you who refuse to believe this exists. I'm so excited! THANK YOU!" -bounchfx

"I don't mean to be insulting, but how can anybody listen to that for prolonged periods of time? "
-jtrousd

"abnormality on rockband? that's awesome but it doesn't really make sense, does it? hahaha."
-porphyria

-ITs awful!!! I just vomited all over myself listening to it.

I would rather watch "2 girls 1 cup" a thousand times than hear this song again.
-memphus

"It's in a rhythm game...

the "song" has no rhythm to it whatsoever. It sounds like a mix between a plane crash, someone breaking the sound barrier, a train whistle, a bike bell, a vomiting goat, and Bjork."
-Funkl3

And of course their MySpace 'friends' mock anybody who insults the donkey feces that is Visions.

M3wThr33

Banned
At least it's lively debate. Not everything is for everyone.

Going to a Fastball concert this weekend. If I have a chance I'll see if I can talk to them about Rock Band and see what's up.

Belgand

The thing is, it's not even good noise. I've heard noise rock. I've heard mediocre noise rock. I've enjoyed varying levels of noise rock. I've listened to a rather good album made up of nothing but sine waves and others made of found sounds. However, Metal Machine Music this is not. That, at least, can be approached from a wide variety of positions to find something to like (either as a massive joke, a huge "fuck you" to the label and way of satisfying a contractual obligation, or as a serious work that has an important position in noise and ambient music), but "Visions" is just horrible at every level.

M3wThr33

Banned
Belgand said:
The thing is, it's not even good noise. I've heard noise rock. I've heard mediocre noise rock. I've enjoyed varying levels of noise rock. "Metal Machine Music" it is not. That, at least, can be approached from a wide variety of positions to find something to like (either as a massive joke, a huge "fuck you" to the label and way of satisfying a contractual obligation, or as a serious work that has an important position in noise and ambient music), but "Visions" is just horrible at every level.

Yeah. I've heard other death metal that is talented guitarists being overpowered by some grunting dude, but this is just... bleh.

I guess the only benefit is that it makes me appreciate Dragonforce a FUCK of a lot more.

Belgand

M3wThr33 said:
Yeah. I've heard other death metal that is talented guitarists being overpowered by some grunting dude, but this is just... bleh.

:lol

That is a wonderful explanation of a lot of really crappy metal out there. It also sounds like they are possibly being raped. This makes sense.

"It's in a rhythm game...

the "song" has no rhythm to it whatsoever. It sounds like a mix between a plane crash, someone breaking the sound barrier, a train whistle, a bike bell, a vomiting goat, and Bjork."
-Funkl3

Also, Belgand, Colony of Birchmen is not a great song, but it is the best Mastadon song I've heard, and it's really fun on guitar and drums.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Good to see we're back on form in this thread finally.

I am underwhelmed by the drums on tCatS (omg CATS!). Vocals will make it better, I just need to wait for the girlfriend to leave the house.

Belgand

Motion Picture Soundtrack said:

Also, Belgand, Colony of Birchmen is not a great song, but it is the best Mastadon song I've heard, and it's really fun on guitar and drums.

I didn't find it to be fun on guitar at all. I realize some people think that really hard means really fun, but that's not me.

It is interesting that GH3 was criticized as too hard so it got super-easy while RB1 was criticized as too easy so they now made it a bit too hard. We had the same sort of problem with GH1 and GH2 though. With 2 bringing in more crappy metal and generally harder songs. I wonder when we'll get a game that's well-balanced. Well, aside from GH1 where it was just about perfect.

Oh and "Prequel to the Sequel" was just terrible. It sounded amazingly disjointed and was both astoundingly unpleasant to hear and brutally unpleasant to play. It wasn't "Visions" bad, but it was on the path that could lead there.

Johnkers

"To Begin With? Everything." The Official ROCK RHYTHM GAME Thread (TheGreatDave: WE HATE YOU)

Say goodbye to the Rock Band platform thread and the World Tour thread
and the rock revolution thread

DarkJC

I personally like the idea of posting in this one as I can just imagine those people who complained about the "To Begin With? Everything." quote cringing every time they view the topic list once again.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
M3wThr33 said:
I guess the only benefit is that it makes me appreciate Dragonforce a FUCK of a lot more.
Yeah, at least it's recognizable as music. Visions sounds like someone pushing a live elephant seal into a wood chipper.

M3wThr33 said:
(From their own MySpace page)
"OMG YES YES YES FINALLY THANK YOU HARMONIX. CRAP! This mean I have to go through every song on the list to make sure I don't miss something else like this. now bring the opeth. No, I won't stop. And yes, to some of you, this is music. it's an aquired taste... and it's absolutely worth it. Props to harmonix for putting it in despire 'peer pressure' from some of you who refuse to believe this exists. I'm so excited! THANK YOU!" -bounchfx
wat.

just did a search for "Visions" posts by bounchfx and he does enjoy the song. well. I guess it takes all kinds, eh.

Tenks

M3wThr33 said:

You do know how terrible Dragonforce is live, right? They are just a product of studio overproduction of their sound to make it sound right. TTFATF, even if the guitarist is not off his ass drunk, sounds like when I play it in GH3. More dropped notes than hit notes doing the solos. They're a joke. However most guitarists I've heard for metal bands tend to be fairly good live. From Autumn to Ashes, Black Dhalia Murder, TTEOTD, BTBAM ... they're all pretty good live.

TAJ

TheGreatDave said:
Bounce by The Cab sounds like a Fall Out Boy cover band doing a Maroon 5 song.
Get out of my head!

Staccat0 said:
FACT: Trompe Le Monde is the worst pixies album. Surfer Rosa is the best. doolittle gets second

No. Trompe Le Monde is the best, followed by Doolittle, then closely behind Surfer Rosa, and even closer Bossanova. None of them are bad (and on any given day any album could be my favorite). The B-sides album is great too.

There is no world I live in where Doolittle is better than Bossanova. I would say it's approximately 5 times better than Doolittle.

BOSSANOVA >>> SURFER ROSA >> TROMPE LE MONDE >= DOOLITTLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom