• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXE Preview Program Watch Thread (Who got in?)

I found a cool image to use as a theme, and modified so it works better:

(click for big)

Looks like this, but on a non-shitty SD CRT:
20876ko.jpg

If you need it at a different resolution let me know.

zaidr

sionyboy said:
You are meant to, the 16:10 resolutions maintain the correct aspect ratio, so the image is not being stretched to fill the screen.

Really...so the system isn't outputting everything at 1440x900? I just thought it would do that. I don't think I get it. When i'm in 1280x1024 resolution, and set it to widescreen, my whole screen fills up. Why is that so, compared to the 1440x900 resolution creating black bars?

Buttonbasher said:

(click for big)

20876ko.jpg

1920x1200? for the wallpaper. :D

Before I jump into Netflix - can my 8-friend party watch all of my movies or do they have to be Netflix members too? Also, can they watch my rented XBL movies?

Meier

Saren is Bad said:
Before I jump into Netflix - can my 8-friend party watch all of my movies or do they have to be Netflix members too? Also, can they watch my rented XBL movies?
They delayed the movie party watching as I understand it. Not sure they've ever mentioned rented films from XBL working.

Sean

Banned
Saren is Bad said:

The party movie watching feature has been delayed, they've promised it coming "soon" which probably means the Spring update. But yes, every member of the party would have to be Xbox Live Gold and Netflix subscribers in order to see it. And it's only limited to Netflix films, not stuff rented over the Video Marketplace.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Sean said:
The party movie watching feature has been delayed, they've promised it coming "soon" which probably means the Spring update. But yes, every member of the party would have to be Xbox Live Gold and Netflix subscribers in order to see it. And it's only limited to Netflix films, not stuff rented over the Video Marketplace.

No more "updates". The NXE is server-based, afaik, so they can just "slip" stuff into our Dashboard now instead of downloading updates/patches.

Kibbles

Sean said:
Wow...

- Hype. Seriously... that's lame. This whole Netflix thing to me seems way overhyped. Now if it was free to XBL Subscribers, then I could understand.

Ten-Song

Kibbles said:
Wow...

- Hype. Seriously... that's lame. This whole Netflix thing to me seems way overhyped. Now if it was free to XBL Subscribers, then I could understand.

Well obviously they're not going to allow that, because it means a shit ton of people would be able to freeload and watch Netflix movies without paying. It seems like a nice thing for people that have Gold and Netflix... but yeah, having to subscribe to two different services for one feature is pretty lame.

Sorry if its been answered, but I've been away since I got in the third wave. Has anybody from the UK or Europe got Netflix running? I have a Netflix subscription (30 trial) and a US Passport account, but I don't wanna pay for Gold and have it not work.

DarkJC

zaidr said:
Really...so the system isn't outputting everything at 1440x900? I just thought it would do that. I don't think I get it. When i'm in 1280x1024 resolution, and set it to widescreen, my whole screen fills up. Why is that so, compared to the 1440x900 resolution creating black bars?

It is outputting at 1440x900, but the games are meant to display in 16:9 resolution, and as such either have to be stretched to fill 1440x900 or black bars are needed to maintain the aspect ratio.

The whole complaint before was that there was no choice to see games in their proper aspect ratio, now you have that choice. If you want it to fill the screen sans the black bars, set it to a 16:9 ratio like 1280x720 or similar. Just know that you're actually viewing an image that is slightly vertically stretched.

whitehawk said:
I dont think netflix is in the preview program. neither is parties or the primetime etc.
Primetime isn't coming out until next year, but Netflix and parties are both fully functional in the preview program.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Buttonbasher said:

(click for big)

20876ko.jpg

Wait.

WAIT

you can use your own wallpapers on your dash?

Iced_Eagle said:
It's great watching some HD movies streaming.
Yeah it is although the service seems to be using an extremely liberal interpretation of the term "HD". I was watching an episode of 30 Rock and it looked barely any better than my DVD copy, certainly not as good as HD broadcast.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Oh man that's hilarious... I thought custom (own) themes where locked out for us :|

I guess I have never noticed it because i've never shared a pictures folder with my 360 :( only music...

heart almost lept - plugged in my ethernet for the heck of it and was prompted for the update but alas, when I said yes it told me i couldnt dl it. oh well, at least that confirms that 19th updating will be smooth

Netflix works great for me. Although sometimes it says my internet connection has slowed, but I found that when I disconnect my PC from the router it runs much faster.

I'm addicted though. I'm mooching off of my friends account. She has a 2 DVD rental account for 15 bucks a month, with unlimited "Watch Instantly" that she never used. I'm tossing some money her way, but the price is not too bad at all.

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah it is although the service seems to be using an extremely liberal interpretation of the term "HD". I was watching an episode of 30 Rock and it looked barely any better than my DVD copy, certainly not as good as HD broadcast.
Even in SD, the first season of Doctor Who has some pretty bad artifacting. It's the only one I've noticed so far though, and the rest seem to look DVD quality on my crap CRT.

quick q - i have been playing games offline and getting achievements, etc. but this weekend i recovered my gt at a friends house and i didnt have the achieves. now i know that they arent there because i have been offline but when i recover on the 19th will be new achieves dissapear and did i just screw myself?

Susurrus

Saren is Bad said:
quick q - i have been playing games offline and getting achievements, etc. but this weekend i recovered my gt at a friends house and i didnt have the achieves. now i know that they arent there because i have been offline but when i recover on the 19th will be new achieves dissapear and did i just screw myself?

I think you just screwed yourself. I've heard of people's accounts getting jacked up when they recover it somewhere, and then go back and try to log in in their original box.

You should have brought the profile over on a memory card. ;)

Saren is Bad said:
In my e-mail, they have explicitly said that do not log your gamertag account to any non-NXE machine, or vice versa, or hardware onto any non-NXE storage drive.

Also: Recover GamerTag should only be your last resort, as MS's own site claims that their version isn't guaranteed to be the latest version, depending on when and how you last connected.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
mandiller said:
WHAT?!

FFS. Why were we buying themes then? Oh lordy...

Themes consisted of four pictures (one for each blade). With your own jpg, it's the same picture lapsed throughout each blade.

But now with the NXE, it'll be more useful. Although I have the Gears 2 NXE-optimized theme and it rules. Each one of your friend's avatars has his own little background corresponding to what your theme is. That stuff doesn't work with jpgs and old Dashboard themes.

tokkun

Why does it reduce the quality/resolution of the picture when it sets it as background? The pics are perfectly sharp in Slideshow, but look vaseline-smeared when set as the background. Is this some sort of classic Microsoft theme-buying 'incentivization' trick?

tokkun

Domino Theory said:
Themes consisted of four pictures (one for each blade). With your own jpg, it's the same picture lapsed throughout each blade.

But now with the NXE, it'll be more useful. Although I have the Gears 2 NXE-optimized theme and it rules. Each one of your friend's avatars has his own little background corresponding to what your theme is. That stuff doesn't work with jpgs and old Dashboard themes.

Does the background have animations like the default NXE theme?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
tokkun said:
Does the background have animations like the default NXE theme?

Hmm, haven't given too much of a look; not sure. There are stuff like Centaur tanks, indoor Gears environments, etc. in the background of each friend and it's pretty rad.

supermackem said:
Ive bounced from us to uk mp and cant see it anywhere, has anyone got it or is it not out yet. Save me from the searching.:lol
Seems it was up earlier in the preview but people that download it don't have it anymore and it's not to be found on the Marketplace. Perhaps it will be there for November 19?

Buttonbasher said:
Seems it was up earlier in the preview but people that download it don't have it anymore and it's not to be found on the Marketplace. Perhaps it will be there for November 19?

I'm a bit surprise it's down, but it was kind of an old revision. You could tell it was a few weeks old at the time because it still had the BSI logo on the title screen. If they pulled it now it's probably because they're going to replace it with the final release. It was developed with the intention of having it at launch with the NXE. It went into certification a couple weeks ago and we haven't had anything pushed back on us so it should be fine.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Question: Did NXE go up early? I don't think I got into the beta campaign, and my 360 just auto updated to NXE. :O

CougRon

thetrin said:
Question: Did NXE go up early? I don't think I got into the beta campaign, and my 360 just auto updated to NXE. :O

Could be one of two things:

1) someone accidently mistyped their console-id and entered yours. Congratulation you lucky bastard.

2) someone goofed. I heard they were having problems with live today and major nelson just made an announcement of xbox live downtime. maybe there were doing a test and somebody did it on the wrong system or pushed the wrong button and accidently released it to whoever just happened to have a system looking at the right time.

just a guess.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
There is a xbox live maintenance coming up too, to prepare for NXE launch.

On Majornelson's blog.

On Monday,11/17/2008 from 2:00 AM PST for up to 45–minutes, Xbox Live will be offline for maintenance. As a result, Xbox LIVE and the ‘My Xbox’ section of Xbox.com will be unavailable, and the Xbox forums will be in read only mode (you won’t be able to post.) The remainder of Xbox.com will be available with limited interruptions.

This service maintenance is in preparation for the new Xbox experience which will be available this Wednesday.

Top Bottom