• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

MikeMyers

It was taken from Episode 65? I never noticed. Oh and 1 hour before Crystal works for me.

B1PkdNHCYAEsjDc.jpg

The girls celebrate Miyu Sawai/PGSM Usagi's birthday.

Ayumi

Watching episode 20 of Sailor Moon 1 hour before Crystal starts because it's Halloween. Join us if you got Skype.
Okay, I'm up and available for this! There is a chance I might fall asleep (just woke up, didn't get enough sleep) but I will do my best!

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 69
tumblr_mdpbbw6Ivt1ro8ba4o1_500.png

A youma puts Usagi in an eternal sleep, and only Mamoru can save her. Is this the first time we see Motoki's sister?

MikeMyers

Yeah, I have a hard time believing that Usagi and Mamoru are that attached to each other in such a short time. I think the 90's anime/PGSM did a better job of building up the relationship.

MikeMyers

The Rei/Mamoru stuff was pretty odd in my opinion, but yeah, I think PGSM did it best too.

10176241_855045171213271_2165097928007402369_n.jpg

Haha, Usagi didn't have fun last night.

Zoe

At least they had the bickering. In SMC, they're magically in love.

The bickering never felt playful though, just mean.

When they bickered in the manga, their encounters wouldn't end on that note. She either came away from it attracted to him or they had an actual conversation.

MikeMyers

Well, I didn't think that, but I at least wanted something somewhat decent. It's pretty hard to own this anime in the US.

I wonder if PSN/iTunes/Amazon versions of it are any decent?

Also watching Episode 70 tomorrow. Have a screencap that Blendic will love.

Cheerilee

That's an interlacing issue.

DVD was made for old CRT TV's, so it's basically 640x480, 30fps. But each frame was only half a picture, divided into horizontal lines, like blinds on a window. Essentially, you only got 640x240 for any given frame. For one frame of video, the old TV would flash the odd-numbered lines, and for the next they'd flash the even-numbered lines. The picture on a CRT would fade away so slow that it would all blend together.

There are a number of solutions to try and fix interlacing, like taking one odd-numbered frame and copying it's details downward to fill in the even-numbered gaps and make an entire picture, and then taking the even-numbered frame and copying it's details upward to fill in the odd numbered gaps, and keep going along like that, but then no frame is ever painting an accurate picture of what's going on, and you've got 30fps of shakiness as two different views fight to be seen.

Or you can combine all the odd-and-even numbered frames to make accurate pictures that run at 15fps. And when the scene changes, you might sometimes see a picture on screen which combines both scenes, and at 15fps, it seems to hang around forever and becomes glaringly obvious.

Or you can try and use software to try and blur everything together like a CRT, which is what Viz apparently tried. There is no perfect solution. Each one comes with drawbacks.

The only real solution was to actually remaster the video. Spend some money and take 4K pictures of the reels of film in Toei's vaults, at which point you can downsize the video on Bluray at 1440x1080, 30fps, with details that the world has never seen before, and even make a "progressive scan" DVD that has real 640x480, 30fps.

I think I'll definitely be going with just DVD if I get it. My TV is an old CRT, anyway.

The only HD screen I have is my 1080p 21 inch monitor, which I mostly just use to play my Xbox One, since these new console only support HDMI. I'm not gonna be watching Blu-rays on it much, if at all. My older brother has a large HDTV in his room, but that thing doesn't work anymore. I'm not planning to buy an HDTV for a very, very long time, so there's really no reason for me to buy Blu-rays right now.

...oh, yeah, I should go watch the latest Sailor Moon Crystal episode. I got distracted by Sunset Overdrive and kept forgetting to. Heh. I guess I'll do that now real quick...

I think I'll definitely be going with just DVD if I get it. My TV is an old CRT, anyway.

The only HD screen I have is my 1080p 21 inch monitor, which I mostly just use to play my Xbox One, since these new console only support HDMI. I'm not gonna be watching Blu-rays on it much, if at all. My older brother has a large HDTV in his room, but that thing doesn't work anymore. I'm not planning to buy an HDTV for a very, very long time, so there's really no reason for me to buy Blu-rays right now.

...oh, yeah, I should go watch the latest Sailor Moon Crystal episode. I got distracted by Sunset Overdrive and kept forgetting to. Heh. I guess I'll do that now real quick...

Do note that the DVD picture quality is messed up as well. It has the same faults as the BD, meaning they didn't use the Japanese DVD remaster.

And I hope the CRT is a 16:9 one, because this:

Means that the DVD will look like this on a 4:3 TV:

Instead of like this if it was encoded 'correctly':

Do note that the DVD picture quality is messed up as well. It has the same faults as the BD, meaning they didn't use the Japanese DVD remaster.

Better than paying multiple times as much for either the Blu-rays or the older English release!

But that widescreen thing would definitely suck, though. My TV is 4:3. If it is like that, then maybe I'll just skip it altogether.

Ayumi

Here's a read for ya..

Last weekend I went to a huge Halloween party, dressed as Usagi. At the end (maybe 3-4 AM) I was at the public toilet inside and I saw a security guard and a couple of girls trying to open a toilet stall. I asked what was wrong and they said someone had passed out inside. They couldn't open the door from the outside because the stall was tiny and the girl's body was basically blocking it. I was really drunk but I somehow just automatically climbed over a veeery tall stall door (I'm almost 5'10 so the others had no chance), lifted the girl up and got her out of there. Everyone was really impressed and I just completely forgot about the whole incident the day after.

But then today I heard that the security guard told people about "Sailor Moon saved a girl who had passed out stone cold" and it traced back to me.

tl;dr I didn't think people would figure out I was the Moon Princess IRL, saving a girl from potentially Jimmy Hendrixing herself.

eastx

Disappointed that the Sailor Moon Blu-rays turned out below expectations in picture quality. It seems like Viz is not as good at upscaling as Funimation. I still want the Blu-rays but it does make me question paying the current asking price. Will have to think about it. (I have a few days left to cancel my preorder).

Bladenic

Thanks Mike, it's Bladenic btw 😂

Anyway love the two episodes on Hulu today. Laughed hard at the "FIRE SOUL" part in 51 and 52 is awesome because we finally see Minako as she is later in the series. Plus Crescent Beam Shower.

Also another instance of Sailor Venus exclaiming "WHY DIDNT MY CRESCENT BEAM WORK" 😂😂

Syrinx

Disappointed that the Sailor Moon Blu-rays turned out below expectations in picture quality. It seems like Viz is not as good at upscaling as Funimation. I still want the Blu-rays but it does make me question paying the current asking price. Will have to think about it. (I have a few days left to cancel my preorder).

Mine's out for delivery right now.

I'm not as much as a stickler for this stuff as most people and probably wouldn't notice all that much, but it still doesn't excuse it being shoddy.

Syrinx

Do you think you can watch an Episode and review the video/sound quality? Unless you don't want to unseal it yet.
Don't think I'll be able to watch it til the start of the weekend or so. Even if I could, my judgment of it wouldn't be very reliable.

Cheerilee

Yeah, it's an upscale.

There's a good chance that Viz's DVD will have better picture than their Blu-ray (unless they downscaled their fake-HD source to make the DVD, which would be really stupid).

Sigh.

By request I'll have some pictures from the ADV sets up in a few.

What's preferable, direct(laptop) or camera(LCD)?
Are you referring to screenshots to show the video quality, or photographs of the packaging?

Edit: Nevermind, I get it, you're referring to screenshots.

Direct screenshots are generally the best way to compare video quality, but photographing the TV might have some use, because the new Viz DVDs might look horrible (compared to ADV) on a CRT, but slightly improved (compared to ADV) on an HDTV. I have no preference at the moment, because I also have the ADV DVDs, and I'm more waiting to see more about how the Viz DVDs look.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 71
tumblr_mdt587uVy51ro8ba4o8_r1_250.gif

Ami battles Berthier, and we get a new opening. I always enjoyed this episode, although I still think the chess match would have been a lot more interesting without Tuxedo Mask's interference.

MikeMyers

Surprisingly accurate.

What episode does Chibichibi debut? I hear 186, but I remember seeing her in the "everyone crashes at Usagi's house" episode, which is earlier than 186.

Syrinx

Still need to watch my BDs to see if it's distracting enough to turn me off. Just in case, has anybody bought it on Amazon Instant Video? Does it look fine?

Upscaled it.

Oh and it seems they delete your comments if you write a complaint about it on their Facebook page. :/

Eh...you're probably not going to get your answers harassing the social media people.

MikeMyers

Oh it wasn't me writing that. I looked at their page yesterday and saw a bunch of complaints, and looked again today and saw that they were all gone.

Surprisingly accurate.

What episode does Chibichibi debut? I hear 186, but I remember seeing her in the "everyone crashes at Usagi's house" episode, which is earlier than 186.
Chibi-Chibi's first episode is 182. :)

I so want to buy the Blu-ray releases from the US, but I hate that we don't share the same region code, with DVD's I could at least import from Japan since it's region 2, but with Blu-ray's, no dice. :(

Edit: I just checked Amazon, $52.89 is not that bad at all, but the total including shipping to Sweden is $97.34 if I want it to get here this century, lol. A bit much. :/

MikeMyers

Thanks. Oh and you might want to check the Bluray reviews before you decide to buy it though, since it seems the release is not without controversy.

Sailor Moon R 72
tumblr_mduzgp4Ktn1ro8ba4o1_500.png

The battle with the Four Sister comes to a conclusion. I enjoyed this action-paced episode, but I'm always curious to why Mamoru knows about things the Senshi can do before they even know about it. Either way, my favorite character Esmeruade should be showing up soon. I'm excited for that.

Thanks. Oh and you might want to check the Bluray reviews before you decide to buy it though, since it seems the release is not without controversy.
Got any links to any review, the one I read was pretty much all positive, but it didn't really cover anything technical.

I mostly want it so I can have the Japanese original and the English re-dub on the same discs, I already own the ADV and Geneon boxsets and some of the original Japanese DVD releases as well as the boxsets released a couple of years ago.
My sister wants to see it in English since she finds Japanese annoying to listen to for too long (lol), and the Swedish dub only covers episode 1-88 (except 49, 54 and 68). :)

Top Bottom