• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Unity - livestream launch event Friday November 7th

Nicktendo86

One thing not many seem to be mentioning is the constant fog, pretty obviously there to hide pop in.

From a technical viewpoint this game looks a complete mess.

Apparently better than on PS4, according to some impressions. I would wait for DF, tho.

Those impressions being people watching livestreams. Moz on here seems to believe the Xbone version fps is pretty abysmal. Another guy on here playing the PS4 version said pretty much the same (power point presentation frame rate I think he said...) I don't think anyone has been in a position to compare the two yet in person.

Apparently better than on PS4, according to some impressions. I would wait for DF, tho.

So PS4 is same resolution as XB1 and has bad frame rate than XB1 which is really horrible for PS4 users. Are these 10 Ubisoft studios made this game only for XB1 and then just ported it from XB1 instead of using PS4 advantages? Hope PS4 users will not support this game at launch and teach ubisoft a lesson.

Truant

So PS4 is same resolution as XB1 and has bad frame rate than XB1 which is really horrible for PS4 users. Are these 10 Ubisoft studios made this game only for XB1 and then just ported it from XB1 instead of using PS4 advantages? Hope PS4 users will not support this game at launch and teach ubisoft a lesson.

Again, this is just from people watching streams. I seriously doubt that the X1 has better frameratates than the PS4, although the X1 CPU is slightly faster. It would make sense if Ubisoft's talk about how AC:U was CPU limited was true.

Radec

Would be hilarious if the Xbone version ran better framerate than the PS4 one even at the same resolution.

KuGsj.gif

Thank god I was able to cancel my preorder for this game.

This will be getting a 2nd hand treatment from me.

Again, this is just from people watching streams. I seriously doubt that the X1 has better frameratates than the PS4, although the X1 CPU is slightly faster. It would make sense if Ubisoft's talk about how AC:U was CPU limited.

If this game is CPU bound then why they need high end GPU instead of GPU close to XB1/PS4 for PC as minimum requirements?

Would be hilarious if the Xbone version ran better framerate than the PS4 one even at the same resolution.

KuGsj.gif

Thank god I was able to cancel my preorder for this game.

This will be getting a 2nd hand treatment from me.

Good decision, everyone should do this (at least wait for the price drop/patches instead of purchasing at launch full price) so they can make wise decisions when developing the game around the fixed console hardware next time without problems like this.

Tovarisc

If this game is CPU bound then why they need high end GPU instead of GPU close to XB1/PS4 for PC as minimum requirements?

Because on PC you keep throwing power at it until it turns on, runs at FPS higher than 5 and there is your minimum requirement?

If streams aren't lying when it comes to FPS [in constant flux between 15 and 30, judging with eye] then PC port maybe is big "Throw power at it until it renders around 30 FPS for most-ish time" case :S Minimum specs just to get it boot up.

I'm really... excited? to see what DF has to say about Unity performance.

Skux

Damn I didn't realise there was free DLC and I just signed in but haven't got an email yet, did I miss out?

big_z

if the xbox version does end up running better then maybe what ubisoft said about the cpu usage is true.

even If the game is a 15fps slide show people will eat it up. its a big name game in a relatively barren holiday lineup for the ps4.

rushed port? instead of optimizing its probably mapped core for core from the console versions or maybe the specs are required to hit 30fps something the consoles version appear to struggle with.

if the xbox version does end up running better then maybe what ubisoft said about the cpu usage is true.

even If the game is a 15fps slide show people will eat it up. its a big name game in a relatively barren holiday lineup for the ps4.

rushed port? instead of optimizing its probably mapped core for core from the console versions.

I mean if their game requires more CPU instead of GPU like they say then why they did not increase CPU requirements (keeping GPU requirements low) instead they are asking more GPU power in PC? If they are using GPU in PC then why they did not do same in Consoles (especially PS4)?

Because a CPU limited game has no effect on GPU related tasks

Sorry, i did not understand your answer to my question. I've asked why they are asking high end GPU (instead of GPU close PS4/XB1 or little better) in PC for CPU limited game as minimum requirements?

Tovarisc

Because a CPU limited game has no effect on GPU related tasks

It has.

If your CPU causes bottleneck it will have impact on GPU performance also as it gets less information about what to render etc. So you can have GTX980, but if you have some old beast like Core 2 Duo then you are in for bad time as system is heavily CPU bottlenecked.

Demanding high GPU and "low" CPU makes no sense if game has, like boasted, large crowds and a lot AI constantly roaming as that is very CPU intensive thing and should require meatier CPU.

thebloo

rushed port? instead of optimizing its probably mapped core for core from the console versions or maybe the specs are required to hit 30fps something the consoles version appear to struggle with.

Neither console maker would allow a game to run like that. I know you were probably exaggerating your point. But it's not that easy.

big_z

I mean if their game requires more CPU instead of GPU like they say then why they did not increase CPU requirements (keeping GPU requirements low) instead they are asking more GPU power in PC? If they are using GPU in PC then why they did not do same in Consoles (especially PS4)?

the cpu requirements they recommend are also high end for pc. what do you want them to recommend, at home render farm?

gpu and cpu do different things, you need to balance both to get the most out of hardware. you cant have a good gpu and cheap out on the cpu or vice versa. the specs for the pc version equal, both gpu and cpu recommendations are high end.

Neither console maker would allow a game to run like that. I know you were probably exaggerating your point. But it's not that easy.

I was exaggerating but its possible sony/Microsoft might let it slide. listen to the Nintendo voice chat podcast with Denis dyack he talks about sonys cert process. they will let select games pass cert if developers claim they will fix the issues later with a patch.

The Xbone version has a better framerate than the PS4? If Ubisoft managed to do that they must really had shipping containers filled with cash from MS delivered at their studio.

You can't sell it to your audience that the weaker console has the better framerate. That is just not doable without becoming the clown.

Autofokus

Where does this come from? Even if we ignore every synthetic benchmark out there, according to the anonymous ubi dev (giantbomb email) the PS4 CPU is still faster (even if negligible).

Quote from the e-mail:
Yes, we have a deal with Microsoft, and yes we don't want people fighting over it, but with all the recent concessions from Microsoft, backing out of CPU reservations not once, but twice, you're talking about a 1 or 2 fps difference between the two consoles.

Again, this is just from people watching streams. I seriously doubt that the X1 has better frameratates than the PS4, although the X1 CPU is slightly faster. It would make sense if Ubisoft's talk about how AC:U was CPU limited was true.

I thought that hardware tests have shown that effective CPU performance was the same, or was that just a rumour? The OS on Xbone uses more bandwidth or some such? Otherwise, what would the effective difference between the CPU even be? Would be be enough to make much of a difference?

thebloo

the cpu requirements they recommend are also high end for pc. what do you want them to recommend, at home render farm?

gpu and cpu do different things, you need to balance both to get the most out of hardware. you cant have a good gpu and cheap out on the cpu or vice versa. the specs for the pc version equal, both gpu and cpu recommendations are high end.

I was exaggerating but its possible sony/Microsoft might let it slide. listen to the Nintendo voice chat podcast with Denis dyack he talks about sonys cert process. they will let select games pass cert if developers claim they will fix the issues later with a patch.

They let it slide if you fix them in a patch. But if you don't fix them, you might have some problems later down the line.

big_z

They let it slide if you fix them in a patch. But if you don't fix them, you might have some problems later down the line.

It's a shitty practice that shouldn't be allowed at all. What if you don't have your console connected online or those patches are taken down in the future? It's basically selling a defective product.

Genio88

Freeroaming games are known to be more CPU demanding than GPU, Unity has a lot of npc and stuff which is moved by the CPU, so being this a CPU limited game the slightly faster Xbox One CPU has a little advantage over the PS4 one which results in better frame rate, or i should say in less worse framerate in this case...Both next gen console have gone too low with the CPUs of these machines, they've the same raw power of the old Ps3 cell but with better optimization, we are talking about CPU that have been surpassed from tablet ones

Freeroaming games are known to be more CPU demanding than GPU, Unity has a lot of npc and stuff which is moved by the CPU, so being this a CPU limited game the slightly faster Xbox One CPU has a little advantage over the PS4 one which results in better frame rate, or i should say in less worse framerate in this case...Both next gen console have gone too low with the CPUs of these machines, they've the same raw power of the old Ps3 cell but with better optimization, we are talking about CPU that have been surpassed from tablet ones

They why PC need high end GPU (instead of GPU close to XB1/PS4 or little better) as minimum if its more of CPU limited game?

Tovarisc

According specs X1 has ~150 Hz faster CPU than PS4 with maybe tad more bandwidth so we are basically talking about < 3 FPS difference from CPU performance, very likely.

omonimo

Banned

I don't know what people smoke to say with a parity cpu, gpu not counts, even cpu bounded it's simply absurd.It's only the case when an higher cpu it's used for the development, compared the cpu on the console. But I don't think ubi it's that stupid.

omonimo

Banned
According specs X1 has ~150 Hz faster CPU than PS4 with maybe tad more bandwidth so we are basically talking about < 3 FPS difference from CPU performance, very likely.
For the fake sake no, just please stop it.And just to refresh the memory Ubi said ps4 has a sort of fps advantage over the xbone like 2-3 frame.

big_z

I don't know what people smoke to say with a parity cpu, gpu not counts, even cpu bounded it's simply absurd.

If you're crunching CPU data it doesn't matter if you throw a better gpu at it. The gpu doesn't magically jump in and help with the CPUs homework.

Mafia 2 was a good example of a CPU bound game if you turned cloth physics on. Dual core chugged hard even when using a high end video card. It wasn't until moving to a quad core that the performance issues improved.

Why not just delay it to get it under control? After Watch_Dogs can Ubi really afford to ship another shite product? I mean, how many chances does a company get...

Ubisoft has a long history of buggy or poor performing games. Why spend time and money polishing your product when tons of people will buy it regardless.

If you're crunching CPU data it doesn't matter if you throw a better gpu at it. The gpu doesn't magically jump in and help with the CPUs homework.

Mafia 2 was a good example of a CPU bound game if you turned cloth physics on. Dual core chugged hard even when using a high end video card. It wasn't until moving to a quad core that the performance issues improved.

Didn't Mafia 2's cloth phys use PhysX?

omonimo

Banned

Ubisoft has a long history of buggy or poor performing games. Why spend time and money polishing your product when tons of people will buy it regardless.
If their engine are so radicate in the cpu performance, they need to do something faster, because things will get worse in the future. But they repeat continually to have rewrite their engine to work at the best in the new console, or simply they have lied.

Chobel

Xbone CPU is 10% better, PS4 GPU is 40% better. So assuming full parity in visuals, unless CPU takes up 80% of frame rendering time or more(Really highly unlikely), PS4 should always have a better framerate.

Even though these impressions are very worrying I'm still going through with buying it, I love the series (and the Cafe Theatre base is something that hits one of my gaming sweet spots). I played through Evil Within and didn't hate the framerate drop so this will be survivable. That being said I'm still waiting for reviews and info on a day one patch. If it's shittier than I'm hoping you can add me to the price drop camp.

thebloo

It's a shitty practice that shouldn't be allowed at all. What if you don't have your console connected online or those patches are taken down in the future? It's basically selling a defective product.

Patches are never (I don't know a case?) taken down. And especially for this gen, being connected is pretty much the norm.

Anyway, it's not like MS/Sony will let you publish a super defective game, as far as they know. But they'll let some things slide with patches. It's a slippery slope, but it's a balance that both publishers and Sony/MS are trying to make: get games on the platform as fast as possible and as non-buggy as possible.

Setsuna

Patches are never (I don't know a case?) taken down. And especially for this gen, being connected is pretty much the norm.

Anyway, it's not like MS/Sony will let you publish a super defective game, as far as they know. But they'll let some things slide with patches. It's a slippery slope, but it's a balance that both publishers and Sony/MS are trying to make: get games on the platform as fast as possible and as non-buggy as possible.

Somce developers dont utilize patches as they should

IE. Capcom and Resident evil 6 to this day Chris's campaign has a bug that will happen 99 percent of the time without fail

Ushay

Genrally speaking this game looks quite good visually against its predecessors, although I can definitely appreciate the complaints some have. What have they done with the gameplay compared to others in the series? My biggest gripe with last 2 games was how stupidly easy they were to complete, the only challenge lay in the collectables, which let be honest can be tiring after a while.

Gurish

I wouldn't count on "impressions", just not long ago there were impressions that told us the The Evil Within ran much better on XB1 than the PS4 version, that it a smooth experience and such, DF came and guess what? XB1's version ran worse than the PS4's and had lots of stutters that weren't presented on the PS4.

Yea, people sometimes don't have a good eye or they are just biased, we should only count on DF when it comes to technical analysis.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I haven't been reading this thread, it's too big, but why is everyone complaining and saying the game is a technical failure?

Top Bottom