• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

HiResDes

Tenks said:
Bad doesn't even do that review justice. He doesn't even bring up valid points.
All of his reviews are like that kinda, they aren't as much reviews as they are anecdotes of play experiences...But even then this one does feel kind of shallow.

Blackjack said:
That's...a really bad review.

Dude, understatement extreme. I feel dumber for even having read it. I have absolutely no problem with less then glowing reviews, but jesus christ. Complaining that the game is on PS2? GTFO with that.

Tenks

HiResDes said:
All of his reviews are like that kinda, they aren't as much reviews as they are anecdotes of play experiences...But even then this one does feel kind of shallow.

I generally enjoy Kotaku reviews. I find them brief and to the point. I like how they don't assign an arbitrary number score they just say what they liked and what they didn't like. This one just seemed very cursory and thrown together.

Volcynika

HiResDes said:

Seems more focused on saying "Hey you guys! The PS2 is old! Did you know it's old?" :lol

Also, I've played about 3 hours (Yes I know I said only one hour, SHUT UP). Just finished the
Shadow Yusuke
fight.

Quick notes:
--While it's not a huge leap from P3's graphics, everything just looks better
--VA is awesome, Chie is great the
OH MY GOD (part where they see the MC going into the TV was great, and Yosuke stopping in mid speech and freaking out was great too
:lol
--Music is great
--The dialogue is always fitting to the mood of what's going on, and I'm already laughing at some of the crazy stuff.
--If anyone wants to ask about BC, my 80GB PS3 (the MGS 4 Bundle) has zero issues playing this game so far
--I started out on normal, but I'll probably run expert later.
--Needs more Nanako hype!

Also, :lol if what Costanza posted was a GAF reference.

Blackjack

Volcynika said:
--VA is awesome, Chie is great the
OH MY GOD (part where they see the MC going into the TV was great, and Yosuke stopping in mid speech and freaking out was great too
:lol
OH MY GOD, I WAS DYING. When they start running around freaking out. "Oh no, there are customers coming!" "What!? THEY CAN'T COME THIS WAY! We've got someone halfway through a TV!"
:lol :lol

Leam

Volcynika said:
--If anyone wants to ask about BC, my 80GB PS3 (the MGS 4 Bundle) has zero issues playing this game so far

That's one with gimped emulation right? I have an EU ps3, the pal version should work here when it's released then.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
per1.jpg

Aww yeeeah.

Volcynika

Blackjack said:
OH MY GOD, I WAS DYING. When they start running around freaking out. "Oh no, there are customers coming!" "What!? THEY CAN'T COME THIS WAY! We've got someone halfway through a TV!"
:lol :lol

I nearly fell out of my chair :lol

And yes, Leam. Has about 80%-ish emulation. No text problems or anything like that so far.

Yaweee

Was anybody's instruction book damaged by the double CD prongs in the case? Mine wase. Slight tears right at the edge. Oh well, the fucking kick ass art book makes up for it.

As for the Kotaku review... don't worry. It's about as meaningful as the average GameFAQs user review.

NichM

Banned
Costanza said:
NichM, was this meant to be a GAF reference? :lol :lol :lol

Sort of! My friends on another message board and I lol'ed so hard at that back when it happened that we started using it all the time, so it's really an in-joke for them. But I guess it works for GAF too. :lol

Volcynika

NichM said:
Sort of! My friends on another message board and I lol'ed so hard at that back when it happened that we started using it all the time, so it's really an in-joke for them. But I guess it works for GAF too. :lol

Atlus has now advanced to status of "Awesomazing."

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Are all DoubleJump guides this teeny!? This is awesome. Sitting here at work, reading away and it looks like I'm actually reading a novel. A very colorful novel. :lol

Evlar

Banned
bob_arctor said:
Are all DoubleJump guides this teeny!? This is awesome. Sitting here at work, reading away and it looks like I'm actually reading a novel. A very colorful novel. :lol
Yeah, they're all that standard size, much handier than the typical bloated format game guide. Some DJ guides are considerably thicker, such as Disgaea 2.

NichM said:
:lol :lol :lol Oh god that is too good.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Evlar said:
Yeah, they're all that standard size, much handier than the typical bloated format game guide. Some DJ guides are considerably thicker, such as Disgaea 2.

Good stuff. I've always been in love with the concept of SMT but haven't put much time into the Persona series directly--I've played through DDS2 and Devil Summoner--so I'm scouring every word before playing tonight. Think I'll probably play on Beginner as well since there isn't a penalty for doing so in terms of story. Kinda hurts to admit that but fuck it, there's too much to play and I don't want my first experience to be overwhelming to the point it turns me off.

george_us

Only an hour in but I'm digging it so far. I'm liking the characters a lot so far whereas it took me a little while to warm up to the characters in P3 (although I loved them when it was all said and done). I'm also loving the soundtrack, the lecture and the indoor themes rock!:D

Tamanon

Banned
You can definitely tell it's Johnny Yong Bosch doing the main character when he summons Izanagi.:lol

Really digging the style so far, the world seems so much more fleshed out than P3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tamanon said:
You can definitely tell it's Johnny Yong Bosch doing the main character when he summons Izanagi.:lol

Really digging the style so far, the world seems so much more fleshed out than P3.

That makes me extremely sad.

Amir0x

Banned
Persona4.jpg

Pizurchased.

Disappointed the art book is not hardcover, but I guess I can't be choosy for something that a game that cost $34.99 and had a free soundtrack and this art book :lol

Costanza

Banned
NichM said:
:lol Awesome.

Anyway, I've played for about 2 hours. <3 this game

Quixzlizx

NichM, do you know whether the Official Design Works artbook is permanently out of print, or whether it's just a printing that's out of stock? The day I decided to buy it on Amazon is the day it disappeared. :(

kiryogi

Banned
This is all very good news. I'm beyond excited to sit down and experience P4 - unfortunately I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Nonetheless, school is winding down and P4 is out so I've got plenty of time!!

So the majority of people playing it now are enjoying it? How do the characters stack up in terms of likability? Are they as cliched as P3? What are some things you can do early on like exploration, or for fun?

EDIT: Also, about the strat guide...Gamestop should have this in stock, right? I'll probably purchase from there considering Amazon is backordered and eBay is up to a 2 week wait for standard shipping.

Haeleos

Kotaku said:
1) If the first one was so good, thinks the developer, why not make the next dozen or so just like it? 2) If the first one was so good, thinks the fan, I’m going to buy the next dozen or so no matter what the reviews say. 3) If the first one was so good and I hated it, thinks the skeptic, I’ll never buy it no matter what the reviews say. 4) So if everybody has already made up their minds, thinks the game reviewer, why the hell am I writing this again?

If you ever write this at the end of a review, says the forum poster, you should find a new line of fucking work.

Dead

well not really...yet
Tamanon said:

oh god....

I walked into a store here in Toronto and asked if they had gotten them in. They didn't and then told me that 4 other people had asked the same thing over the course of the last 10 minutes.

I'm not going to get a copy... am I?

Top Bottom