• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blu-ray Box Set announced for Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series + original movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffy

I wonder how the show will look in HD. It's very rough around the edges and will almost certainly be an upscale.
As I recall, it's a cel-animated show shot on film, so probably not an upscale unless they get really lazy and use the old Renewal DVD masters.

As I recall, it's a cel-animated show shot on film, so probably not an upscale unless they get really lazy and use the old Renewal DVD masters.

How did people end up liking the FLCL Blu-ray release? As I recall, it was an upscale, so one wonders if Evangelion will get the same treatment.

Fuck I need this.

I lent my copy of End of Evangelion out to a guy in college years ago and he dropped out like two weeks later, never saw it again.

tuffy

How did people end up liking the FLCL Blu-ray release? As I recall, it was an upscale, so one wonders if Evangelion will get the same treatment.
FLCL was produced during the digital animation dark ages so some flavor of upscale was inevitable. Evangelion was done on film and could get a proper telecine with lots of detail, like Cowboy Bebop or Card Captor Sakura. Though whether they will has yet to be seen.

Khezu

I used to have the platinum boxset thing, but it got lost during a move.

Haven't rewatched the series since I was a teenager, might consider buying this for nostalgia.

I did watch the rebuild movies somewhat recently, but I don't know how to feel about those movies.

7drHiqrh.jpg

/XX/

At last, at long last... at long, long, long last! Looking forward to Mr. Anno revisiting the series as he did during the Renewal of Evangelion project... must be interesting to see if he has new-found interpretations of own old ideas!

No. Gainax never owned Rebuild. When Anno left Gainax and founded Khara, somehow he retained the ongoing rights for Evangelion. So everything Khara made, they own the rights to - the Rebuild movies, the new spinoffs/merchandising based on the Rebuild material and characters, etc.
The surprising thing is that apparently Studio Khara (or χαρα) was, starting from the first Rebuild of Evangelion film until the beginning of production for the second one, actually paying a stipulated amount to GAiNAX for using the rights to the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise... as per Gainax.fr's Otaking conversations with Takami Akai in 2009 (hence the different, at the time, copyright line for Evangelion: 1.0 compared to the following ones). Mr. Akai says as well that later, to be complacent with Mr. Anno who was pissed-off with how GAiNAX handled merchandising of various of the early works on which he participated (refer to controversies like the one for the Aim for the Top! Gunbuster 'pachinko' machine), they accepted all his subsequent petitions just to avoid a future conflict, which as Mr. Akai says finally lead to the complete disappearance of the GAiNAX copyright holder status.

Of course this is just one version of the story! But one thing we know for sure it that such time-frame coincides with Mr. & Ms. Kamimura departure from GAiNAX, and the foundation of GroundWorks.

We can speculate if the intermediate transfer before final mastering made during that project would suffice (although at least for the theatrical films, and maybe for the series' OP & ED, we know it probably will), because taking into account the supposedly bad state some of the production materials for the series were conserved in (even with missing elements) the efforts they had to make at the time could very well be the best we actually can get.

Blader

End of Eva on Blu! Finally!

Now where's FINAL?

It's still not out in america? It was released December 2013 in germany, usually we're the ones waiting forever.

I need this BD, I hope it gets a german release.

The US release was delayed indefinitely pending a new dub.

B.K.

I hope SOMEONE releases the set in America, but with the rights being such a mess, I won't be surprised if it stays in Japan. It would be nice if it at least had English subtitles.

Blader

What's taking them to long, they did the first two, so they have a cast. Do they hate money?

Well they did do a dub, apparently Khara didn't like it for whatever reason, so now they're re-recording it. If Khara is more involved this time around, then it could (and seemingly is) take much longer to finish.

Clov

Excellent! I've been waiting for this. Was worried that they'd wait until after Rebuild to start.

Now how many more years will it be until it comes to North America?

Treefrog

Will the subs in the current releases of 3.0 be the same as the future US release? I only watched it subbed, so I am wondering if I should just import 3.0.

googly

Never thought the original TV series would release in HD. I still have the VHS tapes somewhere and the platinum DVDs. I'd love a copy of this!!!

bengraven

Never thought the original TV series would release in HD. I still have the VHS tapes somewhere and the platinum DVDs. I'd love a copy of this!!!

I owe it to the company to buy a copy of this.

Found a strangely dirt cheap DVD complete series for $40 on ebay once, when 99% of them were going for at least 150. So I bought it of course, feeling awesome.

Sure, it was the entire series in DVD quality with no extras...but it was also in one small package, fairly cheaply scanned art on each "page" of the sleeve, no trademark information anywhere....very obviously bootlegged.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
End of Evangelion is the only thing that matters in this box-set.

Also, by coincidence this thread appeared whilst I was listening to Eva 3.0 ending theme.

1. You can bet your ass you will be paying over $500.00 for this.

Will the third movie be getting a stand alone US blu ray release?

Reule

Will wait till a localized set comes out in NA but I've always wanted this. I can't wait to binge watch all of it again. Might even throw a party for it.

Will wait till a localized set comes out in NA but I've always wanted this. I can't wait to binge watch all of it again. Might even throw a party for it.

One time I threw a party, about 50 people. We had music all bnight long, but on all the big screens I was playing Evangelion with no sound. None of my guests are into this stuff, but by the end of the night, with intoxicated minds; I can't tell you how many people where wactching the first two movies. Even though there was no sound, they were transfixed. Lol. It was fun.

Jex

Not only will the JP BD be insanely expensive but it probably won't even feature English subs. There's a pretty high chance that the mastering on the US release will be bad as well. I can only hope that the UK gets a decent and cheap release some time in the very distant future.

Source this post here and here.

Not only will the JP BD be insanely expensive but it probably won't even feature English subs. There's a pretty high chance that the mastering on the US release will be bad as well. I can only hope that the UK gets a decent and cheap release some time in the very distant future.

I have the JP 1.11 and 2.22 Blurays, no English subs at all. I doubt the set will include them, either.

Risette

A Good Citizen

Yes. Starchild did a wonderful job on the Renewal DVDs
lol

if this uses the 2003 Renewal masters, i'll be really disappointed.

Reule

One time I threw a party, about 50 people. We had music all bnight long, but on all the big screens I was playing Evangelion with no sound. None of my guests are into this stuff, but by the end of the night, with intoxicated minds; I can't tell you how many people where wactching the first two movies. Even though there was no sound, they were transfixed. Lol. It was fun.
Haha, sounds fun. I have a good amount of friends who are somewhat into anime but have never seen Evangelion. It'd be nice to see what the think by the end of it all. I might skip Death & Rebirth with them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom