• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolling Girls was excellent - lovely artstyle, great animatiosn and a topnotch soundtrack. I can only hope that WIT is capable of producing 11 other episodes on the same level as the first one.

9HHlgWA.jpg

Make it stop

Jex

[Death Parade] - 1
You say that,
but during the credits sequence, the name-card on the empty place-setting is for "Machida Yuuki", the friend she was talking about.

I agree that the structure is screwed up one way or another. Either it's supposed to be ambiguous to some degree, in which case the clear determination of judgment at the end undercuts it, or it's supposed to be obvious what's happening, in which case the repeated reverses, lies, and character body language muddy the clarity.
Wait, really? See, I noticed that the shot during the ED really, really hangs on that card in a manner that tells the audience that it's important, but Funimation in their infinite wisdom didn't subtitle it. Your explanation radically changes the audiences interpretation of the whole episode but I can't get that if it's not translated!

I mean would it really be that hard just do this:

deathparade7gu38.jpg

Seems kind of thoughtless by the translator.

I feel like its more of a mistake then a deliberate choice.

I meant in the sense that the flashback says one thing, this thing says another, the debates are on both sides, and it seems to be left deliberately ambiguous with just the right amount of evidence where neither side really has an argument that they are right. At least now that we have the above.

At the end of the day we're all arguing for the sake of figuring out what the rules are and to figure out just how much knowledge/power the bartender and co. have

I meant in the sense that the flashback says one thing, this thing says another, the debates are on both sides, and it seems to be left deliberately ambiguous with just the right amount of evidence where neither side really has an argument that they are right. At least now that we have the above.

At the end of the day we're all arguing for the sake of figuring out what the rules are and to figure out just how much knowledge/power the bartender and co. have

But how is it ambiguous if one of them was punished and one wasn't?

But how is it ambiguous if one of them was punished and one wasn't?

Didn't we have people here arguing that in Buddhism reincarnation and the void are completely different than the western interpretation of heaven/hell? I have no clue, I meant it that if now we have evidence in the card above that
the wife wasn't lying about the friend
then it means that there was truth to what she said. I'll find out once the rules are explained more. I'm just curious if the 'gods' in here are all knowing or not.

Aldnoah Zero 13

Come back with cyborg left eye and still rekting enemies huh.
Well at least if Inko is going win the eggbawl, i'm happy with that.

Suddenly, a imouto princess!wat?

LAWL I knew this show didn't have the balls to attempt to Game of Thrones.

Durarara!!x2 Shou 1
This was an uninteresting catch-up episode. I suppose it worked to remind me who these characters are, but I can't say I got much more than that out of it, well other than a bunch of awkward references to LNs.

Log Horizon 14

Man this episode was a blast. Finally getting a look at what Kanami is like was great after only getting hints was great and the amount of bombs dropped about the world was great as well. New arc is off to a great start so far.

[Death Parade] - 1

Wait, really? See, I noticed that the shot during the ED really, really hangs on that card in a manner that tells the audience that it's important, but Funimation in their infinite wisdom didn't subtitle it. Your explanation radically changes the audiences interpretation of the whole episode but I can't get that if it's not translated!

deathparade7gu38.jpg

Funiiiii! /shakes fist

Make it stop

Ugh, I'm fearing already this season. To be honest, it was already a let down nearing the end of the first season.

Aldnoah Zero 13

Come back with cyborg left eye and still rekting enemies huh.
Well at least if Inko is going win the eggbawl, i'm happy with that.

Not even a noticeable cyborg fix, but a subtle, cool one.

Didn't we have people here arguing that in Buddhism reincarnation and the void are completely different than the western interpretation of heaven/hell? I have no clue, I meant it that if now we have evidence in the card above that
the wife wasn't lying about the friend
then it means that there was truth to what she said. I'll find out once the rules are explained more. I'm just curious if the 'gods' in here are all knowing or not.

It's pretty interesting if you think about it, how the clash of cultures have confused people giving two different interpretations.

Jex

Everybody knows Wit only for Attack on Titan, but Hozuki no Reitetsu had a pretty solid production. I think it's a bit unfair to think that all the studio can produce is production trainwrecks.

You're right. Houzuki no Reitetsu certainly had a great artstyle and was consistently animated from the episodes that I watched, but it wasn't particularly demanding in terms of the animation itself. Rolling Girls certainly seems more energetic and exciting in terms of it's animation.

Of course, there could be any number of reasons behind the utter disaster that was the Attack on Titan production some of which may have been caused by things outside of the studios hands. However, it wasn't a very encouraging start.

Speaking of Houzuki no Reitetsu, that's another show whose OP seems radically opposed to the material it's actually covering, much like Death Parade. Unlike Death Parade, Hozuki was certainly much more of a comedy so in that regard the gulf between the OP and the show isn't as wide.

Theonik

[Death Parade] - 1

deathparade7gu38.jpg

I can confirm that this is in fact what the namecard says.
Honestly I wasn't paying attention and missed that the first time round.
I have really low expectations from livestreams and Funimation especially so this doesn't surprise me. Though to be far this is a classic 'lost in translation' case where had they chosen to do that they'd be drawing more attention to this than the original creators did.
But between this, the heavily compromised scenes due to their video and other issues, Funimation really is the scourge of this anime season.

Death Parade - 01

I think i understand everything that happenned ... , i like the style ... and the setting is intresting But i sure know that this isn't a happy go lucky anime where i could have fun .

Will watch , but not a priority , really.

Durarara!!x2 01

W4vGpqX.jpg
NCP8JXC.jpg

This is true of every fan of Index.

90% of the reason I watch this show is Suzuhito Yasuda's character designs, the other 9% is the humor and the other 1% is story. I'm ok with this first episode.

~wan

Defuser

Death Parade ep 1
So basically it goes like this after watching and reading through posts....
-Wife's friends talk about Matchy.
-Husband overheard the conversation and misunderstood it thinking Matchy is the wife.
-Husband because of this grew distrustful,suspicious,hateful and distant.
-Which leads to the wife feeling neglected and lonely thus she cheats but felt regrets/guilty.
-Wife got pregnant with husband's child therefore she decides to cut off the fling which explains the flashback where she doesn't want to answer the fling's call while in the car.
-Car crashes.
-Start of Death Parade ep 1 where it plays out.
-Wife did confess she cheated but at the same time add a lie about she is Matchy to make her husband feel better.

Theonik

You're right. Houzuki no Reitetsu certainly had a great artstyle and was consistently animated from the episodes that I watched, but it wasn't particularly demanding in terms of the animation itself. Rolling Girls certainly seems more energetic and exciting in terms of it's animation.

Of course, there could be any number of reasons behind the utter disaster that was the Attack on Titan production some of which may have been caused by things outside of the studios hands. However, it wasn't a very encouraging start.

Speaking of Houzuki no Reitetsu, that's another show whose OP seems radically opposed to the material it's actually covering, much like Death Parade. Unlike Death Parade, Hozuki was certainly much more of a comedy so in that regard the gulf between the OP and the show isn't as wide.
A lot of clues regarding Attack on Titan's production points to tight deadlines imposed by the material owners. Perhaps we might even see the exact scenario played out on this season of Shirobako actually!

SHONEN HOLLYWOOD -HOLLY STAGE FOR 50- Episode 14 Forever in the Middle

Eternally never ever never ever gets old, and with the screaming and the cheesy intros (kira is such a star, and Tomii give me some of that luck please!),

Perfect start to this season for it.

New characters look great too, shorter one, best.

They could have added more glowsticks and lasers, like UtaPri has.

Death Parade ep 1
So basically it goes like this....
-Wife's friends talk about Matchy.
-Husband overheard the conversation and misunderstood it thinking Matchy is the wife.
-Husband because of this grew distrustful,suspicious,hateful and distant.
-Which leads to the wife feeling neglected and lonely thus she cheats but felt regrets/guilty.
-Wife got pregnant with husband's child therefore she decides to cut off the fling which explains the flashback where she doesn't want to answer the fling's call while in the car.
-Car crashes.
-Start of Death Parade ep 1 where it plays out.
-Wife did confess she cheated but at the same time add a lie about she is Matchy to make her husband feel better.

I think my issue with the logic here is that
the husband overheard the friends during the wedding day, so during the few days from that to their honeymoon (if i recall they were on their honeymoon) the wife couldn't have possibly felt so neglected to cheat on him. I feel it's more of a she made a mistake and was trying to make it better. As to not answering due to trying to make things better, it would make sense to not answer period since the husband is right next to her

Jex

I can confirm that this is in fact what the namecard says.
Honestly I wasn't paying attention and missed that the first time round.
I have really low expectations from livestreams and Funimation especially so this doesn't surprise me. Though to be far this is a classic 'lost in translation' case where had they chosen to do that they'd be drawing more attention to this than the original creators did.
But between this, the heavily compromised scenes due to their video and other issues, Funimation really is the scourge of this anime season.

Now I can see where you are coming from but I disagree. Directors have a number of tools to convey important information to the audience such as shot length, composition, editing etc.

With regards to the namecard they hold on that shot for a whole 7 seconds. If that wasn't enough, the framing ensures that namecard is the card of the show (thus communicating that it's key focus of the shot) and the camera is positioned fairly close to the namecard further ensuring that we realise it's importance. That's the most a director can do to tell you its improtant beyond having the letters be made into a flashing neon sign. By not translating this all Funi do is rob the shot of it's meaning that would be obvious to anyone who reads Japanese.

Defuser

I think my issue with the logic here is that
the husband overheard the friends during the wedding day, so during the few days from that to their honeymoon (if i recall they were on their honeymoon) the wife couldn't have possibly felt so neglected to cheat on him. I feel it's more of a she made a mistake and was trying to make it better. As to not answering due to trying to make things better, it would make sense to not answer period since the husband is right next to her

IIRC It never did state what kind of honeymoon is it maybe? For all we know it could be their honeymoon anniversary.

Aldnoah Zero - 13

dfYlkEG.gif

I hate
Inaho
but seeing him take down Mr. Freeze was cool.
Fuck dirty earthern peasants with their cheating bullshit, this world must be purged for the glory of the Vers Empire.
This is highly entertaining to watch though.

Himemiya

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 6-7

Ledo's still really stunted when it comes to understanding others, but he's got good intentions and cares for Gargantia's people. That's part of why he flips out over sea creatures
and smothers them to gory bits. I expected he'd be cool with them after calming down over being served cooked octopus at the festival but I guess the show wanted to leave the sol behind and start up the battles again... and add a pretty convenient heart attack so things get messy.

Shinmai Maou no Testament - 01

Hey high school dxd was cool , let's do something similar !!!

At least we don't have to waste time on things like "familly" anymore do we ?

Who am i kidding ....
I kinda fear for the rest of this show given the first episode.

phaze

Aldnoah.Zero 13

Well #TeamInko got reckt. Back into the background characters she goes.

Other than that it was amazing. Really the quality of writing is just ... remarkable.

-No one died in the finale
-Inaho got a CPR induced Aldnoah powers (!!!!!)(Or was that the blood ?)
-Also he is some kind of cyborg now. (hahah)
-And of course he wrecks enemy mech in 60 seconds
-Another princess out of nowhere
-War still going on after 19 months.

AOTD

sjack

Banned
Durarara!!x2 Shou 1
This was an uninteresting catch-up episode. I suppose it worked to remind me who these characters are, but I can't say I got much more than that out of it.

I mean, they're resuming a 4 year old show, so catch-up episode is mandatory. With the exception of the annoying American TV agent, it's great to be back in this world. Enjoyed it a lot!

EDIT: If it wasn't how shit that last arc with Kida was, I would've enjoyed DRRR!! much more than Baccano! Baccano may deserve a second season, but DRRR needs it more due to how weak that ending was.

Aldnoah.Zero out of Ten 13

f0d4b8c0e3.jpg

Actually it was three times and two of them were Martians but hey who's counting

19 Months later and everyone looks the exact same. Even Eddelrittuo who looks like she's 9 years old. Also having it be 19 months, a pretty long time, is an easy way to wipe the last seasons god awful ending clear because no one acts like it happened! No one talks about it, no one died, the only thing of consequence is that they kind of think Inaho died. But he didn't.
They almost got me to buy that Himesama died, but I'm not that stupid!

And once again we get random cocky Martian dude, and Rayet just explains his super complicated ability and she knows because? I assume there's an answer because it kind of seems like there is, but we aren't given one so it just looks like she knows it for no reason.

But worst of all -
Are you fucking me? That kiss from Inaho to Himesama DID actually give him Aldnoah powers like those two crazy people predicted? ROFL this is so dumb and contrived

tl;dr fuck this show it's bad and somehow got worse, the amount of conveniences here is weighing down on my soul.

Aldnoah.Zero S2 01

DSZA1Bq.jpg

This sums up my feelings on it perfectly.

The bullshit. The bullshit it hurt my god damn soul. Bile, that is what my mouth filed up with as I watched this.
I resisted the urge to vomit every second after Inaho was revealed to be alive and every second after that. APPARENTLY HE'S THE FUCKING TERMINATOR NOW OR SOME SHIT BECAUSE HE FUCKING EXCHANGED SPIT WITH THE PRINCESS WHO IS NOW IN A JAR OF SOUP IN A COMA AND SLAINE IS ALL "HA IT WAS ME DIO!!!"

~wan

Shiki ep 20.5

Holy carp one of the single most intense episode ever?

maxresdefault.jpg

Stop making me sympathize with the bad guys lol.

Shiki=horror in anime done right

Durara S2 1

A fun romp, if very by the numbers, in the same style as previous Drrr! with the camera jumping from character to character showing the "chaotic city" they live in. Some fanservice put here and there.
There is also a "serial killer" plot which could be taken from any numbers of LNs, a token dangerous mystery for the characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom