• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

ZhugeEX

Banned
I see then. Thanks!

In other news :

As PS4 Sells Out German Retailer Makes Drastic Cuts To Xbox One; Introduces Cheapest Ever Bundle

http://www.thegamescabin.com/news-p...uts-xbox-one-introduces-cheapest-ever-bundle/

2394726-9860267869-iMYAd.gif

People didn't realize it at the time but the whole point of HD DVD was an attempt to sabotage high definition media which didn't use MS's proposed software solution. I don't think anybody at MS seriously thought they could defeat the entire consumer electronics industry sans Toshiba who all backed Blu-ray. MS is a terribly petulant and capricious company and they have demonstrated time and again they will spend billions to destroy a competitor or industry out of pure spite.

It's not out of spite, but my guess is that anytime a competitor loses MS sees it as an advantage they've gained, whether it negatively affects the industry they're in or not.

Somebody should replace that with Phil.

An amount. A hard amount. Everyone ships more in Q4. Having an extra month in the channel isn't really stuffing to me. What's the number? Two months?

First, yes, having a month of stock already in the distribution center is stuffing. ...Ideally, they should be taking weekly deliveries, and clearing out last week's delivery just as the truck is backing in with this week's.
Retail locations work week-to-week usually, yes. But the DC up the chain (whether that's retailer-owned or a third party) does not. Having a month of stock is perfectly normal, though a typical target is 21 days. This is partially driven by the pace of container ships, which take approximately that long to go from China to destination.

But more generally, at a DC you simply don't want to receive every SKU you carry every week. Lower receiving labor cost more than balances the negatives of extended storage time.

(My credentials, by the way, are a couple decades of work in the electronic distribution business.)

Now, the wide array of active SKUs Microsoft have in play--AC bundle, AC bundle with Kinect, SO bundle, COD bundle, solus, solus with Kinect--will have naturally lead to some overstocking. Coupled with the price rise, that's still going to cause depressed CYQ1 shipments from Microsoft. But none of the numbers mentioned by retail insiders here sound like intentional channel stuffing to me.

PhatSaqs

Banned
An amount. A hard amount. Everyone ships more in Q4. Having an extra month in the channel isn't really stuffing to me. What's the number? Two months?
I agree with this. All this talk of "stuffing" is based on one dude posting numbers from his "district" and bish saying ok youre legit correct? If so...lol.

Duxxy3

Somebody should replace that with Phil.

Still not willing to put the failing of the XB1 on Phil. The system was fucked from day one. Overall design and strategy for the system was a train wreck.

Dumping kinect was the right move, but they never should have said it was required. That made them look like assholes. The console hardware needs a big slimming down. The controller needs some tweaks. The OS, honestly, should be thrown out the window.

And lastly... that price needs to be at least $50 less than the PS4.

He wasn't calling the shots on the hardware or on the strategy.

You mean he had nothing to do with things like the NFL deal? and all those TV TV TV things? of course not!

“We believe sports is a very interesting category globally,” he told Bloomberg. “We’ll be expanding what we do in sports to bring more international sports into the mix. ”

The exec also claimed that Microsoft is working on a potential library of TV programming to join its previously announced live-action Halo show.

Added Spencer: “They have literally hundreds of ideas that they are incubating right now. We will have some new announcement for TV shows coming pretty soon.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/microsoft-promises-more-xbox-one-sports-deals-to-join-nfl/0121361

"Spencer and team led the development of brand new entertainment offerings including a landmark partnership with the NFL and collaborating with industry luminary Steven Spielberg to bring a new Halo live action TV series to life."

http://www.xbox.com/es-CL/Press/Corporate/phil-spencer

He was neck deep up in it, but hey he wears state of Decay T shirts and is a gamer so he cant possibly have had anything to do with it!

All Hail Phil! http://abload.de/img/phil_spencer_effectxlkhf.png

I'd wager One sold around 1.6 million units in Dec and PS4 sold around 1.2 million units.

So while MS didn't quite sell 3 million units over the holiday season. They got damn close. And probably shipped more than.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I agree with this. All this talk of "stuffing" is based on one dude posting numbers from his "district" and bish saying ok youre legit correct? If so...lol.
I understand your emotional investment - but it was four dudes, from multiple districts, with screenshots and stubs to back it up.

feel free to lol further ;)

I'd wager One sold around 1.6 million units in Dec and PS4 sold around 1.2 million units.

So while MS didn't quite sell 3 million units over the holiday season. They got damn close. And probably shipped more than.

WW or just NA? The XB1 definitely didn't out sell it WW, probably off by quite a bit.

I see then. Thanks!

In other news :

As PS4 Sells Out German Retailer Makes Drastic Cuts To Xbox One; Introduces Cheapest Ever Bundle

http://www.thegamescabin.com/news-p...uts-xbox-one-introduces-cheapest-ever-bundle/

Xbox One is pretty much dead here in Germany, I guess. There were leaked Gfk numbers before Christmas and they showed a ratio of nearly 5:1 in favour of PS. Germany has always been Sonyland in the past and most of my friends have bought the ps4 just to play fifa. I guess the friends effect comes heavly in play her this early in the gen. Even a friend of mine, who is a die-hard xbox fan, will buy a ps4 in the future because all his gaming friends already have one, while he was absolutely certain that he is going to buy an Xbox One before launch.

ZhugeEX

Banned

USA or WW?

I assume you're talking about USA. That's very high for the Xbox One.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't get the fuss about the channel stuffing thing. The only thing it might do is letting MS report the shipping numbers better then they should be. But that's only short term, the amount they ship will correct itself in following quarters. Heck Nintendo had a negative shipping number for Europe in a quarter. The way I see it if MS and retail are ok with the extra costs that comes with stuffing the channel then more power to them.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I understand your emotional investment - but it was four dudes, from multiple districts, with screenshots and stubs to back it up.

I understand your need to try and be a comedian, but i did say *if so* and asked if it was correct. Thanks for the clarification nonetheless ;).

Socky

I think people are going a little crazy about Shu's Morpheus as hardware comment. Currently there's no way the consistent 60fps required for convincing VR can be achieved via cloud or even local networking*. Morpheus will be tied to the PS4 for the foreseeable future in my view. Nor do I see Sony trying to directly compete with Oculus via Morpheus on PC. Trying to compete one total VR solution with another, PS4/Morpheus vs PC/Oculus though? Sure, they will be in competition for anyone who wants to use VR the same way they might be for someone who wants to play video games. Lower fidelity, lower entry cost, greater user-friendliness on console vs higher fidelity, higher cost, more adaptable experience on the PC, but that's an environment they're familiar with.

More on topic, the sales are great to see; I see no intrinsic reason why the PS4 couldn't go on towards the 100m mark and I don't see a reason why this generation should be any shorter or longer than any other. So far things are looking good, for Sony at least. Microsoft may be facing some tricky decisions if they can't turn things around this year and there's nothing visible from here indicating that's likely. Nintendo just need to move on.

Edit: *based off my knowledge of Remote Play which maxes at 30fps and probably isn't reliable enough for VR persistence anyway. If there are more realistic solutions out there I'm not aware of them.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I understand your need to try and be a comedian, but i did say *if so* and asked if it was correct. Thanks for the clarification nonetheless ;).
I don't recall you asking anything, but rest assured I'll always be happy to set you on the correct path.

IIn other news :

From the article:

What’s more, according the manager of this particular Saturn store in Wolfsburg, the Xbox One just isn’t selling so they’ve had a few “manager’s specials” to try and tempt gamers into shelling out for the Xbox One.
This is what happens when a retailer gets tired of paying to store unpopular stock; they take an even bigger loss just to be rid of it. You can bet that once he finally gets the Bones out of his store, he won't be ordering a ton more. Instead, he'll use that extra shelf space to place even larger orders of PS4s, in hopes that his shipments will then actually last the entire week. Having Bones instead of extra PS4s is causing him to lose money. That's why I was saying that XB3 shipments will fall in 2015 while PS4 shipments rise.

After visiting another German retailer, Media Markt, the store’s manager confessed that the only PS4’s they currently have in stock are second-hand returns. He did note that they were also having slow sales of the Xbox One, though they did peak during the Christmas shopping period, however it’s back to fully stocked shelves that don’t need replenishing. (emphasis mine)
"No more shipments for us, thanks."

Retail locations work week-to-week usually, yes. But the DC up the chain (whether that's retailer-owned or a third party) does not. Having a month of stock is perfectly normal, though a typical target is 21 days. This is partially driven by the pace of container ships, which take approximately that long to go from China to destination.
Thanks for the insight. <3 I knew stores took delivery weekly, so I just assumed the DC did as well. Similarly, I knew container ships took about three weeks to get here from China, but I assumed they still embarked weekly, like a really stretched out caravan.

But more generally, at a DC you simply don't want to receive every SKU you carry every week. Lower receiving labor cost more than balances the negatives of extended storage time.
So this week they're unloading consoles, and next week they're unloading refrigerators? That sorta makes sense, I suppose. I just assumed they'd be unloading both every week.

(My credentials, by the way, are a couple decades of work in the electronic distribution business.)
Again, thanks. I know how this stuff works in general, but I'm fuzzy on some of the specifics for this particular industry.

Now, the wide array of active SKUs Microsoft have in play--AC bundle, AC bundle with Kinect, SO bundle, COD bundle, souls, souls with Kinect--will have naturally lead to some overstocking. Coupled with the price rise, that's still going to cause depressed CYQ1 shipments from Microsoft. But none of the numbers mentioned by retail insiders here sound like intentional channel stuffing to me.
Well, they seemed to consider them noteworthy. /shrug Like I said, we really need them to comment on how long it's gonna take to deplete the DC. We know the stocks, but not the rate of sale.

/bish-slap

jayu26

I don't get the fuss about the channel stuffing thing. The only thing it might do is letting MS report the shipping numbers better then they should be. But that's only short term, the amount they ship will correct itself in following quarters. Heck Nintendo had a negative shipping number for Europe in a quarter. The way I see it if MS and retail are ok with the extra costs that comes with stuffing the channel then more power to them.

I have never met anyone who is/was happy about extra costs...

You can't compare this generation to last like that. You're ignoring the fact that the 360 was doing incredibly well compared to the PS3 and was easier to develop for last generation, and as such it gave developers more imputous to make games timed exclusive for Xbox.

Xbox One is losing the WW console race by a deficit of nearly 8 million or more compared to the PS4 and is selling units in the low hundreds in Japan on a weekly basis. The only way Microsoft is getting exclusive or timed content this generation comparable to the games you listed is if they pay for them to be funded, or money hat the developer to bring the game to Xbox only and I'm telling you now that Microsoft cannot splash their cash around as freely as you think they can.

If anything, you're going to see a lot more PlayStation exclusive games from mid tier Japanese developers this generation as it's the only safe bet at this point for most of them.

While I'd like to believe you on this, their recent history of absurd exclusive deal-making (NFL, FIFA, Titanfall, new Tomb Raider) points to the other direction. That direction being their corporate history of being incorrigible anti-competitive monopolists. We have covered this briefly and bish has requested that we talk about it in its own thread so I'll just leave this at that.

You mean he had nothing to do with things like the NFL deal? and all those TV TV TV things? of course not!

&#8220;We believe sports is a very interesting category globally,&#8221; he told Bloomberg. &#8220;We&#8217;ll be expanding what we do in sports to bring more international sports into the mix. &#8221;

The exec also claimed that Microsoft is working on a potential library of TV programming to join its previously announced live-action Halo show.

Added Spencer: &#8220;They have literally hundreds of ideas that they are incubating right now. We will have some new announcement for TV shows coming pretty soon.&#8221;

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/microsoft-promises-more-xbox-one-sports-deals-to-join-nfl/0121361

"Spencer and team led the development of brand new entertainment offerings including a landmark partnership with the NFL and collaborating with industry luminary Steven Spielberg to bring a new Halo live action TV series to life."

http://www.xbox.com/es-CL/Press/Corporate/phil-spencer

He was neck deep up in it, but hey he wears state of Decay T shirts and is a gamer so he cant possibly have had anything to do with it!

All Hail Phil! http://abload.de/img/phil_spencer_effectxlkhf.png

I see this situation regarding Phil Spencer as being remarkably similar to Ronald Reagan's "Teflon" Presidency.

By stuffing the hull breach with xbox ones?
sailing in the English Channel

I'll get my coat :)

I lol-ed. XD

Ouch. So, is this happening across the US?

Thanks for the insight. <3 I knew stores took delivery weekly, so I just assumed the DC did as well. Similarly, I knew container ships took about three weeks to get here from China, but I assumed they still embarked weekly, like a really stretched out caravan.

This is off-topic but some of the new container ships are absurdly huge:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30696685

/likes-absurdly-huge-machines

I totally forgot about China. the xbones been there since septmeber and the Ps4 is yet to show face there. The longer it takes for the Ps4 to show up, the les likely consumers will wait and just bite the dust and buy the xbone (if they had any interest in buying the Ps4 in the first place

how's the xbone selling in China?

Chobel

I totally forgot about China. the xbones been there since septmeber and the Ps4 is yet to show face there. The longer it takes for the Ps4 to show up, the les likely consumers will wait and just bite the dust and buy the xbone (if they had any interest in buying the Ps4 in the first place

how's the xbone selling in China?

Really bad.

ZhugeEX

Banned
but if even 1% of China's population buys the xbone, thats 13 million units sold. That would close the worldwide gap right there.

lol.

You don't know much about the China gaming market it seems.

It's estimated around ~2 million total consoles are sold in China each year through the grey market/official and the 360 was quite popular only because it was hacked. Once the Xbox One or PS4 are hacked then sales may increase. But for now don't expect cumulative sell through to be more than 1 million per year for PS4/Xbox One. Xbox One isn't doing well at all due to a number of reasons, even though it's "officially" sold you can only buy it online or at certain retailers, region locking, lack of games + support/no piracy is just some of the reasons why it's not doing well.

And Xbone is 9 spots in front of PS4 on Amazon Monthly in January. ;-)

Which isn't always up to date. Keep in mind that Xbone stayed at $350 until the 4th of January and that data is probably a couple days old so 50% of the reporting period thus far reflects the $50 price difference.

Chobel

you may very well be.

but if even 1% of China's population buys the xbone, thats 13 million units sold. That would close the worldwide gap right there.

It's doing really, really bad thanks to the very small game selection and region locking, MS will be lucky if they can get even 0.1% of China population.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
(I use this as a representative for the others that replied to me)
Which isn't always up to date. Keep in mind that Xbone stayed at $350 until the 4th of January and that data is probably a couple days old so 50% of the reporting period thus far reflects the $50 price difference.
Sure. I'm just saying this "hourly" stuff is also not worth much.

Also have statistics established that the relative placement on the charts have been reflective of overall sales?

As far as I know it's just (which is still cool) that if Xbone is #3 and PS4 is #6 for monthly then Xbone outsells PS4 in NPD.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
While I'd like to believe you on this, their recent history of absurd exclusive deal-making (NFL, FIFA, Titanfall, new Tomb Raider) points to the other direction.
NFL is different from the others, mind you. It was part of their original vision, which included engaging one billion consumers into the Xbox ecosystem. I don't doubt that there were people in Redmond, who genuinely believed in that target and never even realized that NFL is not that big outside US.

FIFA was there to gain some credibility in Europe, Titanfall a pretty good catch that turned into full exclusive, and Tomb Raider a desperation move when they started seeing the writing on the wall.

All these could (at one time) be justified by future gains. But with deal after deal turning up not so profitable, the leeway Xbox division used to have is growing tighter.

Toki767

It's doing really, really bad thanks to the very small game selection and region locking, MS will be lucky if they can even 0.1% of China population.

But The Artisan logic dictates that if they can get 0.1% of the population to buy an Xbox One, that's an extra 1.3 million sold. lol

I totally forgot about China. the xbones been there since septmeber and the Ps4 is yet to show face there. The longer it takes for the Ps4 to show up, the les likely consumers will wait and just bite the dust and buy the bone (if they had any interest in buying the Ps4 in the first place
Psst.
"Bite the bullet." <3

you may very well be.

and if even 1% of india's population bought an xbox one, that's another 12 million!

how many millions can they rack up? russia? africa? india? china?

the possibilities are endless~

Top Bottom