• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post High-Res screens of old-gen games

Borman

bridegur said:
Wind Waker looks amazing. Is that running at full speed? And if so, what type of specs?
Runs pretty much full speed at 720p, not quite that resolution though. No sound on the zelda games.

Dolphin is the emulator. And no, you cant just use the gamecube disks.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Can anyone tell me if there have been attempts at artificially locking Shadow of the Colossus at 60 and how the physics and animations look? I heard something about the way the momentum based animation fucks up if you try to do that. :\

Blablurn

Twilight Princess said:
wind waker is so much prettier than twilight princess
/wipes tears

seriously, artistically, wind waker was way ahead of ts time. alle the people crying back then will now bitch about the low-tech look that tp offers.

wind waker is one of the everlasting beauties, thats something rare in 3d videogame history

Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast)

34rujd5.png

2psev03.png

fu2owh.png

5czimo.png

20u7l1f.png

11h5p1t.png

Maybe I'll get some more of other Dreamcast games later.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
paper mario & wind waker own this thread. good fucking christ. just looking at those shots makes me weep joyful tears of blood at how spectacular those games play and look, even if the look is exaggerated. that's how i remember the games in my head though. the memories are damn beautiful.

i will provide a bunch of high res gamecube stuff when i get out of work, and even one or two WII shots. Dolphin is still in it's infancy as an emulator but the strides they make each week are pretty amazing.

I'll be bringing shots of:

Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3 (!!!!)*
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 4*
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (!!!)
Super Mario Sunshine
Zelda: Wind Waker
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Burnout 2
F-Zero*
Animal Crossing Wild World (!!!)
Excite Truck (!!!)*
Smash Bros Melee
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Double Dash

and anything else I may have lying around. anything marked with a * isn't remotely playable, but you can get some decent screens of, and anything marked with (!!!) is on the Wii.

Here are some RE4 shots i posted on here before. these are all from the cube version. i had to resize them since it doesn't render at the right aspect ratio, and i've cropped off the black borders (it doesn't run full screen). also, it only displays properly using the opengl plugin, and currently there is no way to enable anti aliasing using that plug in, but still. first screen shot is using the dx9 plug in. rest open gl.

111mmfn.png

28bb1hc.png

2rr6hag.png

20ql4wh.png

szj2j5.png

last version i tried the game would crash after exiting a Hunnigan conversation or coming out of your inventory. since i took these i've extracted all my save files so i can hopefully provide some screenshots of later areas than the villiage, and some Mercs shots with the other characters.

Blablurn

plagiarize said:
http://i41.tinypic.com/111mmfn.png[/IG]
[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/28bb1hc.png[/IG]
[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2rr6hag.png[/IG]
[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/20ql4wh.png[/IG]
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/szj2j5.png[/IG]

[/QUOTE]

that srsly looks as good as many current gen games. and that just resulting from it being played on an emulator with some plugins is purely astonishing.

Mohonky

Blablurn said:
that srsly looks as good as many current gen games. and that just resulting from it being played on an emulator with some plugins is purely astonishing.

Current gen Wii games yes.....Xbox360 or PS3? No.

Hobbun

God, those FF XII, Paper Mario and WW screenshots are amazing. The only thing is I want to play my games like looking like that off my consoles, not computer.

Is there a way to play those games using the original controllers off your computer? Can you have more than one emulator (PS1, PS2, GC) on the same computer?

Can you have one more than one emulator on your computer (PS1, PS2, GC)? And does it cause any glitches in playing the game because the game isn't being run on the "official" hardware? And how the heck do you save as it doesn't appear you use memory cards since it's your computer.

Sorry for all the questions, but damn, I want to play my games looking like that on my tv. I wish Sony and Nintendo would have built the technology in their current consoles (Wii, PS3) to be able to make the older games look like that.

Hobbun said:
God, those FF XII, Paper Mario and WW screenshots are amazing. The only thing is I want to play my games like looking like that off my consoles, not computer.

Is there a way to play those games using the original controllers off your computer? Can you have more than one emulator (PS1, PS2, GC) on the same computer?

yes and yes. you need a USB adapter for the controller. PS1/2 ones aren't so hard to find. GameCube ones are harder to find but out there. I used to have one. currently i'm using a 360 pad.

Can you have one more than one emulator on your computer (PS1, PS2, GC)? And does it cause any glitches in playing the game because the game isn't being run on the "official" hardware? And how the heck do you save as it doesn't appear you use memory cards since it's your computer.

you can have as many emulators as you can fit on your pc. does it cause glitches? fuck yeah, more often than not. there are few emulators that approach anywhere near 100% compatibility, though sometimes the odd game here and there may be emulated perfectly.

Wind Waker for example, is currently without sound as things stand.

Hobbun

plagiarize said:
yes and yes. you need a USB adapter for the controller. PS1/2 ones aren't so hard to find. GameCube ones are harder to find but out there. I used to have one. currently i'm using a 360 pad.

you can have as many emulators as you can fit on your pc. does it cause glitches? fuck yeah, more often than not. there are few emulators that approach anywhere near 100% compatibility, though sometimes the odd game here and there may be emulated perfectly.

Wind Waker for example, is currently without sound as things stand.

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. Although I guess it's expected. Even Sony can't give us 100% compatibility in running their older games on the PS3. Still sucks, though.

Mohonky

plagiarize said:
erm, it looks a LOT better than current gen Wii games do... but then it should. no wii game can approach that level of image quality.

It does in terms of resolution and texture quality it outshines the Wii but outside that it doesn't exactly present anything that comes even remotely close to Xbox360 or PS3 territory and there were definitely scenes in the Gamecube (and hence Wii) versions that featured more dynamic lighting if I'm not mistaken though it's impossible to tell from that lot of screens.

Mohonky said:
It does in terms of resolution and texture quality it outshines the Wii but outside that it doesn't exactly present anything that comes even remotely close to Xbox360 or PS3 territory and there were definitely scenes in the Gamecube (and hence Wii) versions that featured more dynamic lighting if I'm not mistaken though it's impossible to tell from that lot of screens.
i'm not saying it looks in 360 PS3 territory. just saying it looks better than Wii.

like i say, i'll grab shots from later areas (and other games) tonight. since taking those shots i imported my saves from both Cube and Wii versions. before that, the emulations current (and major) bugs prevent you from getting any where far into the game. hence these screens all being from the very beginning.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So how powerful of a PC is required to run games from the PSX/N64 era with the fancy texture packs and AA and high-resolution with a smooth framerate? Also, what about for PS2 stuff?

404Ender said:
So how powerful of a PC is required to run games from the PSX/N64 era with the fancy texture packs and AA and high-resolution with a smooth framerate? Also, what about for PS2 stuff?
psx/n64 = P4 ati 1600 or better with 512-gig of ram.
ps2= core duo ati 38xx series or better. 1-2 gigs of ram
some stuff will still crush computers that can run crysis well.

pakkit said:
I don't know what's more awesome: the screenshots, or jarosh's thorough skillet-bashing of cow mengde.

Xeno: Did my LTTP:BG&E thread help? Or did you catch it? Those pics are really great, the game holds up so well.
Well, if by help you mean directed me to the Steam sale (which I missed by a few hours) then YES!!!

Used mah old FRAPS to capture it, but forgot to switch to better file format so there are JPG artifacts :(

SOLDIER

zoukka said:
otlnrd.png

Fuck me, this game will look amazing even when our children will laugh at Crysis being fuck ugly.

Where's the link to this emulator? What games are supported? Is it anymore stable than the PS2 emulator?

Durante said:
Emulators are the most wonderful thing ever (well, except for PC gaming which has all the advantages of emulation and more built-in).

fp6qlz.jpg

30clxfs.jpg

w1wlzm.jpg

What are the specs you used for these shots? Plugings, settings, etc.

plagiarize said:
hey now, we already had one and it was awesome (phourglass).

though i know what you mean.

I'm sorry, I meant one where I don't have to return to the same fucking temple throughout the whole game.

zbarron

SOLDIER said:
Where's the link to this emulator? What games are supported? Is it anymore stable than the PS2 emulator?

What are the specs you used for these shots? Plugings, settings, etc.
It's called Dolphin. Wind Waker looks beautiful but it runs for me at about 25 fps instead of the natural 30 and most importantly there is no sound.

I also play FFXII on my PC. My specs are
C2D E6550 at 2.9Ghz
4GB RAM
9800GTX+
Vista 64

Before my last upgrade I had
C2D E6550 at 2.9Ghz
2GB RAM
Ati 3850
Vista 32
I was still getting an almost flawless 60fps at 1680x1050 with an internal resolution of 2160x1600

Make sure you use the Gsdx plugin and rip your disc to the HDD to make it quicker.
1erneh.jpg

WARNING. THIS IS GOING TO BE EPIC.

All these shots are from Dolphin from http://www.dolphin-emu.com. They are all jaggy because the open gl plugin (which works a lot better than the DX9 one) does not yet support AA. Aspect ratios may be a bit off in some shots. I have done my best to correct them.

F-Zero GX (GC) Completely unplayable once you get into a race. Looks great though before then.

2dj6hac.png

255qh5h.png

Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC) No sounds. Runs a bit slow. Otherwise fine.

1495i8p.png

hryp0l.png

Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii) Works great. The City runs a little slow and it doesn't pick up the PC clock. Looks surprisingly nice in high res.

5urfap.jpg

2qasq5v.jpg

Burnout 2 (GC) Works perfectly. Runs full speed. Looks awful :)

r7m1bq.jpg

Killer 7 (GC) Sexy as fuck. Unplayable right now due to a glitch that leaves your bullets doing no damage at all to enemies.

10xdc82.png

iw1506.png

Mario Kart Wii (Wii) Slow. Has sound at least and an annoying black rectangle too.

2r3cr4z.png

29e811.png

Pikmin 2 (GC) I'm sure I got in game before. Couldn't tonight though. Here at least is the title screen.

2cojwqe.png

Metroid Prime 1 (GC) Almost perfect. Sound. Decent speed.
Fucking pretty. Some visors messed up, but scan visor works.

2d8miyc.png

t7bhjc.png

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC) Not quite as good. Scan visor is weird and only works right at 640 x 480.

13ynnlj.png

nboty1.png

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii) 3/4s of the screen look amazing. Runs really slow. Top left quarter of screen is all pixelated.
Bloom effect is a bit messed up too. I've thrown in a shot with some of the effects disabled.
You lose the hud when doing that. Scan visor is totally messed up, no way to get past the first door switch you've got to scan.

opn5g5.png

4zz1ox.png

sncg0x.png

Resident Evil Zer0 (GC) Backgrounds obviously still low res due to being prerendered.
Works pretty much perfectly other than that. Full speed even.

sy3v9h.png

259edkw.png

Resident Evil Remake (GC) Doesn't run as well as Zer0 for some reason. Apparently fixed in the latest version that I haven't had a chance to look at yet.

j6ord0.png

hx44km.png

Resident Evil 4 (GC) Can't really play it right now due to the inventory making the game crash on exiting it.
Otherwise looks and runs pretty well. More screens a few posts previously.

apgvmh.png

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) Of all the Wii games I've tried this is the one aside from City Folk that works the best.
Certain levels can't be beaten due to scripting glitches.

2eahqqe.png

ehkjl1.png

Super Mario Sunshine (GC) Screw the haters. This is an awesome game. Doesn't run perfectly, but the last few builds have seen it come leaps and bounds.

2j6a7mx.png

90olxt.png

Super Smash Bros Melee (GC) Runs and plays great.

n4tyqh.png

2drrur6.png

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC) Has similar top left quarter of the screen pixel issues as Prime 3. Can be disabled with the DOF effect.
Looks pretty good eitherway though. Second screen has DOF disable. No sound either.

2nv6net.png

2wcjrza.png

And last but no means least...

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC) No sound yet... but runs at full speed... and just... just look at it.

21nqe8g.png

dqn9xy.png

14csbav.png

and there you have it.

Enk

makes good threads.
Here's some 720 sized images I made awhile back when doing the Mario World thread. Basically I was trying to see how the games would look if I doubled the pixel size and widened the view.

Mario1.gif

Mario2.gif

Mario3.gif

The problem with FF12 (and most other emulator) screens for me is the more you jack up the resolution the better some stuff looks and the more horrible the sorta okay textures look by comparison

sprocket

Banned
not to be a downer in this thread but isnt all the gc screens from downloaded disk images?

just saying. heard that was the only way to get them.

zbarron

ElectricBlue187 said:
The problem with FF12 (and most other emulator) screens for me is the more you jack up the resolution the better some stuff looks and the more horrible the sorta okay textures look by comparison
Turning on texture filtering makes them look pretty nice.

sprocket said:
not to be a downer in this thread but isnt all the gc screens from downloaded disk images?

You can rip them yourself. It is such a hassle but it is doable.

Borman

Baiano19 said:
plagiarize just owned this thread...

BTW, there´s a Wii emu already?
Dolphin, the GC emulator, runs Wii stuff.

sprocket said:

Broadband adapter on my gamecube + PSO, or ripping stuff from my Wii, nice and easy (well, relatively)

Ydahs

HOLY SHIT! Nintendo's next console better be able to play up-res'd Wii/GC games. Metroid Prime 3 looks good enough to pass off as a HD game and Zelda WW is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen O_O

I need to upgrade me PC immediately... just how powerful is your PC, plagiarize?

no minsc. unfortunately prime only lets you keep one save at a time per profile. my three saves are all in the impact crater. i don't remember if you can get out and go back to phendrana, but i'll have a look.

and yeah, these are all my own rips. i have a modded gamecube and a wii. you can find instructions on how to do this all over.

to do the wii emulation you need a modded wii anyways in order to get the masterkey off of it.

the PC is a core 2 q6850 extreme at stock speeds, and a slightly over clocked 9800 gx2... but i wouldn't be too put off by that. the game only supports dual core and i think a lot of the speed problems are more problems with the emulation than pc power.

given how well RE:Zero works i'm hopeful we'll see a lot running at playable speeds.

they release builds every week or so and the improvements tend to be dramatic.

Top Bottom