• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop putting the pizza in the oven while it's still preheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will M

I'm with you, OP. I make my own pizzas (crusts, sauces) and getting a scorching hot oven is essential to making the dough correctly rise. I dont know how people follow cooking times on frozen pizza boxes... wouldn't it be semi-cooked in the middle?

I'm sorry, but I scrolled for a while and didn't see it (not sure why it wasn't included in the OP): why exactly shouldn't I stick my pizza in while it's preheating?

I've done it both ways and don't remember it making a bit of a difference.

Daweex

Banned
If we really have to be picky OP, stop baking your pizza in anything that doesn't look like this:

dif-legna-refrattario.jpg

surrogate

If you are preparing uncooked frozen pizza, preheat.
If you are reheating previously cooked pizza (frozen or real), don't preheat.

MilkyJoe

You're ruining everything.
Seriously, stop being so damn impatient and just wait for the oven to heat up to the proper temperature before placing the pizza onto the middle rack of the oven.

You're not giving your pizza the proper cooking experience. You're denying it the opportunity to be cooked to perfection.
If you put the pizza in too early then the top of it gets cooked but the crust remains chewy and gross

Just stop!

Now come over to mine, tell the missus this. Drives me up the fecking wall

Strax

I eat pizza and drink milk with it sometimes.

Meet me somewhere.

People not understanding basic cooking instructions is whatever, but that nonsense about getting cold pizza out of the fridge and eating it?

With milk?

That's disgusting.

Gross. Also OP might be talking about frozen Pizzas.

What?!?! Is this a thing?

Oh my.

Milk rocks, but not with pizza.

Eating cold pizza and drinking milk right now!

5Sfup17.jpg

DTs04XH.gif

Famassu

Better yet, just don't put anything in while it's preheating. It's called PREheat for a reason.

If something needs to be in the oven for 20-40+ minutes, it really matters fuck all if a couple of minutes of it will be at a lower temperature. On the other hand, it does save some electricity.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Can't say I've ever ended up with soft crust after putting a pizza in as the oven heats up. Preheating is for suckers.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
How am I supposed to know when its finished pre-heating? Honestly? These things don't have any temperature gauge.

jts

...hate me...
Yes, do reheat pizza.

On a pan. Both sides.

Fucking better than fresh out of the oven sometimes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
God. I'm with you. My roommate insists "What are you doing? It doesn't matter" whenever he sees pizza or anything sitting on top of the stove while it finishes pre-heating and will come over and put my pizza right in there. It isn't even his damn pizza! Assholes, all of them.

Wow I hope you stand up for yourself and tell that person to fuck off (not necessarily using that lanugage of course)

jts

...hate me...
How am I supposed to know when its finished pre-heating? Honestly? These things don't have any temperature gauge.

Usually the thermostat light turns off, indicating the oven reached the desired temperature and is no longer creating additional heat. When it cools down below a certain threshold it will turn on again, indicating the oven is again producing heat.

10 minutes is not a bad rule of thumb either.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Most ovens have a beep sound. Mine beeps 6 minutes after I set it to bake at 400 degrees for example. 5 minutes is a good boundary if you dont have an oven beeper.

I'm a fan of the stove top technique when I nail it. When I don't it's pretty upsetting. By the time the bottom has the slightest crisp the cheese and toppings are in optimal condition.

Prax

Not gonna waste 10 minutes of time + whatever other electric charges!
Frozen pizza goes in oven as soon as I turn it on!

CONRAD

Neo Member
I just add a couple of more minutes to the timer. I ain't got the patience to wait for the oven to pre heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom