• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
400 Episodes Y'all!

blowing-party-horn.png

Just another 100 until 500!

Which will probably consist of more shitty filler episodes focused on knock off characters and their boring backstories that I could honestly not give a single fuck about.

And maybe Rock Lee jobbing once again.

faridmon

I don't know why, but I always thought that if for some reason FootyGAF imploded again it would be because of some drama involving pulga... well, a very anti-climatic end this is!
It really is. Pulga is funny and odes some controversial things, but we have been a close knit community since day 1 for him to fuck it up. As it turns out, few (not so loud mind you) complaints nuked us into ether.
Wait, soccer-GAF got NBA'd? You'd think all the sports threads would be more careful after that.
We were too careful for few years now. Infact, some mods were regular within that community, while others pop in to make a remark about their favourite team.
I guess The Order review stuff gotten us the exodus.

On topic, God, is Tower of Drauga a slug to go through or what?

javac

Perfect Blue (1997)
I’ve been meaning to watch this for a long time and often felt weird having gone on all these years watching anime…without ever seeing this. Make no mistake, it’s been on my radar for over a decade but I’ve often felt intimidated by the premise of this film, not feeling up to the challenge. But as with all good things, they come to those who wait and since I have Perfect Blue on Blu-ray and was well in the mood to watch it, finally maturing I finally thought that tonight was as good as any to pop it in and give it a spin…and boy was that a ride.

To attempt to go too in-depth with this would be foolhardy on my behalf and would inevitably leave me flat on my face, so I don’t feel like exposing myself too much, but to just shrug and say “it’s alright” isn’t going to do this movie justice either. After watching Perfect Blue I felt like I had just witnessed a master class in direction…and make no mistake it is a master class performance. The late director Satoshi Kon demonstrates just why his name is so known and just why he’s so revered here within this 1 hour 20 minute roller-coaster. The story here is manipulated with such finesse and fine tuning it’s reminiscent of a puppeteer, orchestrating its every move. Everything is placed where it is for a reason, in order to tell the story. Simple gestures come back to haunt you maybe an hour later, mundane activities are woven into the story to such a degree that it almost boggles the mind. So much scrutiny is at play here, everything has been stressed over. Satoshi Kon is a master of his art, one that should and is no doubt studied.

Some of the emotions this movie conjured up from within me were maybe something I was uncomfortable expressing. I felt exposed and bare. A certain scene in this film had me tear up at just how uncomfortable I was, sick to my stomach and my heart beating as I reached out with one hand to switch the movie off…but I didn’t. I watched on, I’m glad I did, but the feelings were tangible. I felt terrible, but that was the plan. Perfect Blue fully engrosses its audience and makes them truly invested in this story before it stabs you in the heart and twists the knife.

The cinematography and choreography at play here is truly astonishing and a sight to behold. Being a movie about an idol dancing and singing, I guess that’s to be expected. Nothing is sacred here, what is a dream and what is reality? The way in which Satoshi Kon weaves each and every story thread and each and every scene truly makes you the viewer feel like the main character herself, an ex-Pop star who wants to make a career change as an actress. This allows for a movie that truly has its audiences guessing as to what reality is indeed, what a dream is and what the acting is as it jumps from scene to scene, moment to moment as you try to string it all together. This truly mirrors the mind of the main character, Mima Kirigoe, who cannot discern dream from reality or from her on screen counterpart to her real self.

In terms of art style, Madhouse utilizes a more realistic approach in the way that the characters and the world itself are depicted. The Blu-ray doesn’t look perfect, with (no pun intended) some scenes looking a little blue, but considering the films age it looks great overall with strong character designs and amazing uses of visual cues such as pink outfits, mirrors and such in order to distinguish characters and make them pop out in an otherwise dull (purposely so) world. Architecture and the world itself is pretty simple in design here, but effective and works well and a heavy use of bloom and scan lines are evident throughout in order to contrast one scene from the next, from dream and reality.

The audio is great here too, with the voice acting being topnotch. Every line is delivered believably and you really fall into the trap of believing that these animated characters are in fact real and tangible. The cast here does feel real, and genuine with the performances they deliver alongside the great animation and character designs. Being a story about an ex-pop star, pop music is no doubt a cornerstone to the soundtrack of Perfect Blue and it works effortlessly used in juxtaposition between the gritty onscreen accounts and the lively vocals of CHAM!, the fictional pop group the movie here focuses on.

Perfect Blue is a deep movie, one tackling the issues surrounding identity and the fragility of it all, especially for a person who is in the limelight of sorts. Does your work define you? How do you make sense of yourself when the lines blur? The use of both mirrors, puddles and reflections are used in order to visually articulate such ideas in a way that only animation would be able to do. The question is often brought up, why is Perfect Blue animated? Well it’s true that a live action adaptation was released years later, with Perfect Blue itself originally slated to be a live action itself back in 1993. Throughout the years, many films have also tried incorporating themes and images from the film into their own as well, however I’d make the argument that Perfect Blue, the story told here in its animated incarnation uses the medium to its full advantage, and does so masterfully.

Whether it’s the use of a nonlinear, non-chronological layout, the ghosts of the main character representing her former image, dancing mockingly around her current self or the depiction of this innocent animated image being marred and muddied as its carried through this fascinating story, Perfect Blue is without doubt a movie that is not only a master class, but no doubt genre defining. Not for the faint of heart, but given that you’re ready to open your mind and appreciate this artistic take on a girl struggling to find her identity, you’ll have something to think about for a long time with the meandering plot, powerful imagery and many twists that will have you satisfied by the end.

10/10

*Heavy sexual content, violence and many uncomfortable scenes and imagery are present here, for people 18 and over. Requires viewing with 100% attention, but don’t be intimidated, it’s truly rewarding.

Fafner Exodus Episode 7 - Battle in a New Dimension

Really awesome episode. I always believed in the new generation.
when the OP song started playing and they all revived with new weapons I was smiling so much. They didnt die, I was so worried, and then next week...its going to be amazing!

Clov

Sentai just got season 4 of Hayate the Combat Butler. Hoping that they end up getting the first two seasons, since I wasn't a big fan of the latter two. It just wasn't the same without Wakamoto as the narrator.

Personally I can't stand the word entitled anymore, always reminds me of the Mass Effect 3 ending controversy and Colin Moriarty and some other fuck calling gamers entitled because they wanted an ending that wasn't dogshit. It was a real get out of jail free card and it didn't help that fans were so adamant at rapidly defending their developer masters. That kind of culture that's been cultivated is frankly pretty disgusting. There's no reason to defend your game or practices when your loyal fans will do it for you.
There were other examples around that time but thank God that dropped off fast.

Shirobako 19:
This episode is just further proof that Yano is the best. After returning she manages to get things in working order pretty quickly. The second half of the episode was great, especially with the flashbacks. I loved seeing a little bit about how anime production was back in the day (and it made me nostalgic for cel animation). The Andes Chucky scenes were also pretty great.

Week in and week out this show manages to continuously excel. There's not even that much more that I feel like I can say about it.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 06

Finally getting some character development. I like the interaction that the investigators have with one another, especially with Amon.

Censorship is alive and well tho!

Quasar

Personally I can't stand the word entitled anymore, always reminds me of the Mass Effect 3 ending controversy and Colin Moriarty and some other fuck calling gamers entitled because they wanted an ending that wasn't dogshit. It was a real get out of jail free card and it didn't help that fans were so adamant at rapidly defending their developer masters. That kind of culture that's been cultivated is frankly pretty disgusting. There's no reason to defend your game or practices when your loyal fans will do it for you.

Well they were/are. That whole episode made me throw up.

Mothman91

Someone needs to make a webm of her looking at the notes to make a sour face and she eats the candy(?) then to turn to that very shy animator girl.

Quasar

Your Lie In April 18 - A performance episode. Really nice. A pretty joyous episode over all. Only a little bit of despair in it.

Saekano 6
This episode was pretty good. Utaha was amazing in multiple ways, with a lot more depth than how she was initially portrayed at the beginning of the series

Crocodile

There were other examples around that time but thank God that dropped off fast.

Well yes and no. Some like to throw around "entitled" as a buzzword to deflect criticism (your Mass Effect 3 example being a prime example). It's no secret that games journalism is kind of in a sorry state in large part due to how close publishers and the press have become. It can be difficult to give honest critiques when you are criticizing friends and/or the people who give you access to the games. The writing of people like Kuchera or Gies frequently make me roll my eyes into the back of my skull.

HOWEVER, time and time again, GAF has shown that as a whole, we have NO idea what kind of work, money or hours goes into making even a halfway decent game. Just as Shirobako makes it pretty obvious that there are 3135351 reasons why a production may go belly up besides the animation studio being incompetent/"lazy", there are 51351351123 reasons why a game might have flaws besides the developers sucking. Game developers and publishers are absolutely not above criticism and some have been pulling some shady shit recently. However, even I have to roll my eyes from time to time when GAF tries to be an armchair analyst or say "oh its so obvious/easy that they should have or could have done X" ignoring the fact that those making the video games have access to way more information than any individual of GAF when it comes to information needed to make decisions and that they have to consider the needs of large groups of people, not jut what a single person or the vocal minority on GAF might want.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well yes and no. Some like to throw around "entitled" as a buzzword to deflect criticism (your Mass Effect 3 example being a prime example). It's no secret that games journalism is kind of in a sorry state in large part due to how close publishers and the press have become. It can be difficult to give honest critiques when you are criticizing friends and/or the people who give you access to the games. The writing of people like Kuchera or Gies frequently make me roll my eyes into the back of my skull.

HOWEVER, time and time again, GAF has shown that as a whole, we have NO idea what kind of work, money or hours goes into making even a halfway decent game. Just as Shirobako makes it pretty obvious that there are 3135351 reasons why a production may go belly up besides the animation studio being incompetent/"lazy", there are 51351351123 reasons why a game might have flaws besides the developers sucking. Game developers and publishers are absolutely not above criticism and some have been pulling some shady shit recently. However, even I have to roll my eyes from time to time when GAF tries to be an armchair analyst or say "oh its so obvious/easy that they should have or could have done X" ignoring the fact that those making the video games have access to way more information than any individual of GAF when it comes to information needed to make decisions and that they have to consider the needs of large groups of people, not jut what a single person or the vocal minority on GAF might want.

At some point, you are buying this shit though. If I buy a car and suddenly the brakes stop working and I almost kill myself, am I supposed to feel sorry for the car engineers because it's hard to design a car?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
At some point, you are buying this shit though. If I buy a car and suddenly the brakes stop working and I almost kill myself, am I supposed to feel sorry for the car engineers because it's hard to design a car?

I have no problem with good constructive criticism, but there's a reason I mostly avoid any threads that go into discussion of game development or CG production or visual effects. It's not worth the headache or re-explaining how things work and why people's suggestions for making things better aren't feasible for the millionth time.

Your analogy's a bit ridiculous though.

Crocodile

No but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm more talking about:
  • Developer goes on kickstarter to ask for X dollars to do thing Y
  • GAF: "That's WAY TOO MUCH MONEY! I could do it in an afternoon for the price of a ham sandwich"
  • Other Developers: "For the money they are asking to do thing X, they would have to live off ramen O_O! It would cost us 5x what they are asking to do the same at a professional salary"

-Or stuff like if a company is selling a limited edition product and advertising it as a limited edition product - GAF calls them morons/assholes if they don't make it easy to get.

-Or any decision has to be due to malice or incompetence or because "they hate us" and not because it might not be economically viable to release a product in a particular territory.

-Or this feature or strategy is clearly not targetted to me/"hardcore gamers" so per GAF its obviously stupid and a waste of time.

Etc, etc. You see stuff like that ALL the time on GAF - people who may be justifiably upset but have no idea what they are talking about and making suggestions that with any thought are usually obviously terrible.

Dresden

If I have a bone to grind, it's that japanimation rarely has the same kind of flow that Disney brought to be table when they did 2d. Why can't every anime product look like Lion King? I think it has to do with how otaku culture has corrupted its youth.

If I have a bone to grind, it's that japanimation rarely has the same kind of flow that Disney brought to be table when they did 2d. Why can't every anime product look like Lion King? I think it has to do with how otaku culture has corrupted its youth.
Another way in which moe is destroying anime.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Lazy animator (lol)

• GAF: "That's WAY TOO MUCH MONEY! I could do it in an afternoon for the price of a ham sandwich"
  • Other Developers: "For the money they are asking to do thing X, they would have to live off ramen O_O! It would cost us 5x what they are asking to do the same at a professional salary"

-Or stuff like if a company is selling a limited edition product and advertising it as a limited edition product - GAF calls them morons/assholes if they don't make it easy to get.

-Or any decision has to be due to malice or incompetence or because "they hate us" and not because it might not be economically viable to release a product in a particular territory.

-Or this feature or strategy is clearly not targetted to me/"hardcore gamers" so per GAF its obviously stupid and a waste of time.

Etc, etc. You see stuff like that ALL the time on GAF - people who may be justifiably upset but have no idea what they are talking about and making suggestions that with any thought are usually obviously terrible.

Ah, remind me of that Skullgirls thread. That was interesting
Yeah, most GAF are customer, so not understanding how development work is understandable. Whenever there's an obvious bug, the one that get the blame is QA for not doing their job (heh)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have no problem with good constructive criticism, but there's a reason I mostly avoid any threads that go into discussion of game development or CG production or visual effects. It's not worth the headache or re-explaining how things work and why people's suggestions for making things better aren't feasible for the millionth time.

Your analogy's a bit ridiculous though.
I feel like the only reason people give these companies slack is some strange cult of personality that goes on with this stuff. At the end of the day, these people are being paid to sell a product that you have to buy, and if you find something wrong with that product, you should be entitled to complain.

Now, some people will just complain for the sake of complaining, and you really can't stop that since that's just how the Internet works. But for something specific like Mass Effect 3, if I spent two hundred dollars on your stupid game trilogy and I'm fed a piece of shit, it's not "entitled" for me to think that the ME3 ending is the worst game ending in the history of video games. In any other context, I'd demand a refund, but since these products ride the line between commercial commodity and "art", we seem to confuse the issue.

can YOU design a better car ?! :mad:
I post on Car Age Forums all the time brah.

I guess I'm just thinking about the stuff with Ready at Dawn and The Order 1886 more than stuff like the Skull Girls kickstarter.

That said, there are insanely boneheaded decisions that I think are fairly indefensible anyway. Nintendo SHOULD get flack for making the Gamecube adapter impossible to find, or example. Or creating this 5 retailer exclusive situation with Amiibos that emboldens scalpers like the guy who bought a hundred Rosalina amiibos.

What if anime was a steak?

CDiggity

Well...the Lion King had a budget of $45 million dollars. This was in 1994.

Those pesky American animators also had these odd things called unions asking for the most ridiculous requests like a working wage, flexible schedules and other rights, how silly.

Most anime is made on the cheap using overworked and underpaid labor. Most anime studios are practically corporate slaves, especially if god forbid they actually have success (I think WIT is pretty much Pony Canyon's bitch right now).

NeonZ

Milky Holmes

So, I've been watching this...

MilkyHolmes_TD_ep_01_zps0e77a3d7.jpg

I had to drag myself through the first couple of episodes from season 1, but the show's humor quickly seemed to improve a lot afterwards and it was a genuine surprise. I loved it by the end and wished I had been following it while it aired.

Season 2 was very entertaining too, although it was kind of odd how, unlike season 1, they seemed to be quite happy in just throwing away any consistent characterization in favor of humor after season 1 mostly avoided that(like Nero suddenly being money hungry, not just hungry - now, new Nero is funnier, but it's still an out of nowhere change) . By the end of the second season I was tired about the joke of them losing their powers, and I'm happy it hasn't been reused again in the later ones, although I guess they have bigger problems. Still, it was very entertaining overall.

The Alternative specials were very mediocre, but reminded me that episode 1 of the first season seemed to have a few references to the past that seemed to match it. I rewatched that 1st episode afterwards, and just confirmed my first impression that the first season's humor really didn't work in the first couple of episodes.

Then comes Futari Wa Milky Holmes... I already knew about its bad fame, but watching it, it's just odd. I'm left wondering what they were even trying to do. What was supposed to be the target audience of this thing? The show is serious, but it's not like they took a turn to make the series darker - it actually seems lighter than the previous seasons in some ways, since there aren't dirty jokes. In spite of the initial announcement about the new villains being more serious, they turn out to feel like smaller threats than the older ones. It just feels like a mediocre magical girl show aimed at children. In spite of reducing the humor to a few sparse comic relief moments, since the new protagonists were rarely used for humor, the drama also was very restricted, with no real losses or consequences. The violence also is very toned down, with little physical contact. The family conflicts also were all solved in a way that you'd see in a standard kid's show with everyone making peace with each other while giving lessons about family and friendship. For a moment, I actually wondered whether this had been a day time show - but no, it was still a late night one. So, I'm left just confused by everything they attempted to do here.

Milky Holmes TD tries to go after the humor focus of the first season, although with a bigger focus on a continuous story than the original had. It's a fairly inconsistent show so far. I think some of the moments are pretty great, even the Feather duo that starred in Futari Wa has actually become fairly enjoyable now that they're comic relief jokes like the other girls... but then we get some pretty big misses, like most of the Element competition scenes. How do they even manage to make the element scenes, which take place in some extra dimensional space where anything can happen, end up being some of the weakest comedy of the show? Also, although the Milky Holmes have much more screentime and focus than in Futari Wa, they're basically just there for humor and are mostly unrelated to the main plot so far, which is just odd, considering how the staff obviously acknowledged that they needed to focus on them considering their increased screentime and marketing focus. I know that there was a staff change since Futari Wa and that staff is also handling TD, but do they really have no interest in telling a story focused on the original characters? It almost seems unprofessional in a way. Still, it's enjoyable enough in its own right, although not as good as the first two seasons (I've watched up to episode 4 right now).

Crocodile

I feel like the only reason people give these companies slack is some strange cult of personality that goes on with this stuff. At the end of the day, these people are being paid to sell a product that you have to buy, and if you find something wrong with that product, you should be entitled to complain.

Now, some people will just complain for the sake of complaining, and you really can't stop that since that's just how the Internet works. But for something specific like Mass Effect 3, if I spent two hundred dollars on your stupid game trilogy and I'm fed a piece of shit, it's not "entitled" for me to think that the ME3 ending is the worst game ending in the history of video games. In any other context, I'd demand a refund, but since these products ride the line between commercial commodity and "art", we seem to confuse the issue.

I post on Car Age Forums all the time brah.

I guess I'm just thinking about the stuff with Ready at Dawn and The Order 1886 more than stuff like the Skull Girls kickstarter.

That said, there are insanely boneheaded decisions that I think are fairly indefensible anyway. Nintendo SHOULD get flack for making the Gamecube adapter impossible to find, or example. Or creating this 5 retailer exclusive situation with Amiibos that emboldens scalpers like the guy who bought a hundred Rosalina amiibos.

What if anime was a steak?

Don't misunderstand, the ending of Mass Effect 3 was worthy of criticism and from everything I can tell, RAD are earning what they reap with regards to the Order 1886 reviews given they decided to prioritize the graphics and aesthetics (which they seemed to have nailed) over the actual gameplay part (which they whiffed badly).

MPR was saying, as far as I could tell, that he wasn't a fan of the word "entitled" to describe gamers as it was never truly applicable. I'm arguing that there are times when it is entirely appropriate (though it is indeed often used as a inappropriate dismissal of criticism)

I agree that it sucks that Nintendo undershipped/produced Gamecube Adaptors but I think its obvious they were trying to be conservative and underestimated demand but that doesn't make them the same as incompetent (in that regard at least :p). The fact that people are having their Amiibo pre-orders cancelled is bullshit but I don't think there should be any expectation that one should be able to walk into any store and get any Amiibo with ease (they said different characters would have different print runs upfront). More supply is needed in the US that's for sure though. Retail exclusive toys are nothing new in the toy business, especially when they are limited edition collectors items (Gold Mario) so I have no clue why people are complaining that a collectors item (which only has value because its rare) is rare (again talking about the Gold Mario).

Between having best Pokemon husbando Steven appear and confirmed to be in the next special.

Lysandre making his presence known and working with Alan.

And having Mega Rayquaza fuck shit up as usual.

I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Don't misunderstand, the ending of Mass Effect 3 was worthy of criticism and from everything I can tell, RAD are earning what they reap with regards to the Order 1886 reviews given they decided to prioritize the graphics and aesthetics (which they seemed to have nailed) over the actual gameplay part (which they whiffed badly).

MPR was saying, as far as I could tell, that he wasn't a fan of the word "entitled" to describe gamers as it was never truly applicable. I'm arguing that there are times when it is entirely appropriate (though it is indeed often used as a inappropriate dismissal of criticism)

I agree that it sucks that Nintendo undershipped/produced Gamecube Adaptors but I think its obvious they were trying to be conservative and underestimated demand but that doesn't make them the same as incompetent (in that regard at least :p). The fact that people are having their Amiibo pre-orders cancelled is bullshit but I don't think there should be any expectation that one should be able to walk into any store and get any Amiibo with ease (they said different characters would have different print runs upfront). More supply is needed in the US that's for sure though. Retail exclusive toys are nothing new in the toy business, especially when they are limited edition collectors items (Gold Mario) so I have no clue why people are complaining that a collectors item (which only has value because its rare) is rare (again talking about the Gold Mario).

I think the main issue here is that Amiibos weren't initially percieved as a Collector's item, but an item for the children's market as well that bothers people so much.

ibyea

Banned
Shirobako 19
That was a nice look to the past in animation, showing how they had their own sets of struggles. In terms of the present situation, Miyamori gets a much needed lift to her spirits and things seem to be steering back to manageable. It was an incredibly strong episode. I love this show.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun #1
It's a pretty good start! The opening, the jokes, and the gags were all quite good. I haven't really read or watched too many standard shoujo works, so some of the subversiveness may be lost on me, but even so I still like the humor. I'll definitely keep watching.

Sabagebu #1
AiwG3LE.png

I'm good with that. also I can't tell if that's a duck or a platypus
I wouldn't have considered it, but combining guns and cute girls works well. I particularly enjoyed the narrator jokes. Once again, I feel like some of what's going on is lost on me, but despite that I like it.

Good recommendations Gaf!

Midonin

Hayate the Combat Butler OVA Volume A-C

For quick reference, my Hayate season rankings are like this. S1 > Cuties > Eyes > S2. Not sure where the movie falls, and these OVAs are in the upper half of that, if only for the momentary return of Wakamoto. And the first season opening. Lots of good memories there.

The characters are in the same patterns I expect from them, and the overall tone of these hits pretty close to Cuties. Not quite as off the wall as the first season, but it's not as serious as the other two. Maria and Ayumu got their chances to shine, there was Nagi being an anime nerd, some classic lit references. Everything I'd expect from more Hayate.

wonzo

Banned
tezuka, animes stalin

ibyea

Banned
Assasination Classroom 1-3
It certainly is a bizarre premise, with the students being abnormally happy having to kill someone they like. Well, it's comedy so rule of funny and all. And it does have quiet a few funny moments, with the student trying to stab the teacher while happily being handed her assignment and the stand and bow segment at the beginning being standout moments. Anyways, it wasn't enough to pique my interest, so I'm dropping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom