• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Nightcrawler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

a90QMXg.jpg

So I watched this film last night and thought it was... pretty average.

Getting the positives out first, I thought the cinematography was great. Reminded me of Drive in a lot of ways. I also think Jake Gyllenhaal did a great job as Lou, and nailed the gaunt, weirdo look. The soundtrack was weird, but it played into the bizareness of the whole film, as if Lou himself constructed it.

But other than that... I don't think it worked as satire or a character study. What is there to Lou other than being a charismatic weirdo with a drive to succeed? You can argue he's enigmatic, but there's no compelling reason to find out more about him. The whole film revolves around building his production company from scratch while using 'intro to business' class terminology and 'The Internet' to get there. Other than some of his humorous retorts and mannerisms, I didn't find the character as fascinating as Belfort or Bateman. The pacing was off as well, since it dragged on in the middle but then rapidly picks up towards the end and before you know it, it's over.

As for being satire. It feels too hamfisted. The constant reminders of 'WE NEED FOOTAGE OF URBAN PEOPLE KILLING WHITE FOLK' with no sense of subtlety and the gradual buildup to more graphic and ridiculous footage. It felt too on the nose and clumsy for it to be good commentary on sensationalist media. Even the whole 'sociopath uses capitalism to get what he wants' premise seems played out at this point. And this is coming from someone that loves American Psycho and likes Wolf of Wall Street. Maybe I missed the point entirely though. It just didn't stand out as much as other movies with similar types of protagonists.

Lemaitre

Banned
My personal favorite movie of the year. Disappointed a lot of people did not get a lot out of it.

My brother and I went to the movie theater with zero expectations, and what we got was a ride of sweaty palms, dread, and heart pounding night time sequences. For all the people that say this did nothing for them, I start to really understand the subjective nature of art and film. I definitely got way more into this than Whiplash, which may be my second favorite of the year.

Courage

My personal favorite movie of the year. Disappointed a lot of people did not get a lot out of it.

My brother and I went to the movie theater with zero expectations, and what we got was a ride of sweaty palms, dread, and heart pounding night time sequences. For all the people that say this did nothing for them, I start to really understand the subjective nature of art and film. I definitely got way more into this than Whiplash, which may be my second favorite of the year.

Watched both yesterday and thought Whiplash was much more intense. Felt more personal and the buildup to the final scene is much better.

I'm happy OP at least commended Jake for his performance.

The guy should get much more love than Tom Hardy, Fassbender, Dicaprio and other GAF favourites.

Enjoyed the fuck out of the movie. It's kind of interesting that within the first frame of seeing the character we can get an idea of who he is before seeing the shit he does.
Beating the cop and stealing his watch.
Definitely an interesting movie about how one does whatever to reach to the top. For me though, the atmosphere and the whole night time LA scenes is what will make me revisit the movie aside from the wonderful performances in the future. Much like The Collateral, the atmosphere is fantastic.

ryseing

Enjoyed the fuck out of the movie. It's kind of interesting that within the first frame of seeing the character we can get an idea of who he is before seeing the shit he does.
Beating the cop and stealing his watch.
Definitely an interesting movie about how one does whatever to reach to the top. For me though, the atmosphere and the whole night time LA scenes is what will make me revisit the movie aside from the wonderful performances in the future. Much like The Collateral, the atmosphere is fantastic.

Yeah, that first scene is a hell of an intro, along with him talking to Pullman's character. Fucking audacity to ask for a job after selling the dude stolen wire.

Great flick. Gyllenhaal got jobbed of a Best Actor nom. He sells the shit out of Lou. Had to turn away when he went into the house.

BearPawB

Banned
I really liked the movie. But, I agree that I am not sure if i got the "point". To me the satire of the movie was, that as scummy as Jake's character is. So is everyone else up the chain who profits from his scummyness. News Anchor lady was just as awful.

Also, i was shocked to see Riz in this role, as I only knew him from his work on Swet Shop Boys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLlYykSUXLk I thought he was pretty damn good for a dude i only knew as a rapper!

The Beard

I really liked the movie. But, I agree that I am not sure if i got the "point". To me the satire of the movie was, that as scummy as Jake's character is. So is everyone else up the chain who profits from his scummyness. News Anchor lady was just as awful.

Also, i was shocked to see Riz in this role, as I only knew him from his work on Swet Shop Boys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLlYykSUXLk I thought he was pretty damn good for a dude i only knew as a rapper!

If you go into a movie looking for the "point" of its existence, then you're missing the point.

I really enjoyed the movie. Gyllenhaal, the mood, the setting, and the cinematography were top notch.

BearPawB

Banned
If you go into movies looking for the "point" of its existence, then you're missing the point.

I really enjoyed the movie. Gylenhaal, the mood, the setting, and the cinematography were top notch.

I wasn't going into it looking for a point. I just want to be entertained.
The movie seemed like it was trying to tell me something grander, but i don't know if it came across.

It's a one-and-done for me. Good, but not great for the reasons OP stated.

I admire the construction of the thing, but I kinda wish the script had been (re)written by Paddy Chayefsky instead, were he alive of course.

Oersted

Yeah, that first scene is a hell of an intro, along with him talking to Pullman's character. Fucking audacity to ask for a job after selling the dude stolen wire.

Great flick. Gyllenhaal got jobbed of a Best Actor nom. He sells the shit out of Lou. Had to turn away when he went into the house.

Not british, not playing a historical figure. Kills your chances.

Fury451

Banned
The movie seemed like it was trying to tell me something grander, but i don't know if it came across.

I can agree with this, but I otherwise really enjoyed it.

Jake Gyllenhall is killing it lately. He's instantly become one of my favorite actors, just supremely talented.

So, I thought the score for this movie was supposed to be kind of tone deaf? Like On purpose, but maybe I'm giving it too much credit.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It is a nice movie, not an excellent one but completely watchable. The date scene is the stand out moment. Jake and to a lesser extent, Riz Ahmed, are far better than the surrounding material.

I like how it is a reverse setting of californian summer success stories, celebrating his psychopathy and trying to actively invert and test Lou's relation with the viewer.

They start with him robbing the guard and right after that being put down by the construction/recycling yard guy. Then you have him being shat by the camera guy, and then him getting his revenge by reaching the scenes before the dude. If it stopped there it would be the usual routine, but them you get the exchange during daylight where Lou shits on the guy even harder, and then he almost kills the dude. You have the same type of constructions with the Rene Russo and his sidekick.

And in the end (music included), you are laughing with him and supposedly approving his success. And he's still wearing the guard's watch.

This is the biggest difference to American Psycho and Wolf of Wall Street and the same reason why I consider Pain & Gain good.

*Kevin Rahm looks like a young James Spader

inm8num2

My second favorite film of 2014. Dark and mesmerizing. I think Nightcrawler is going to continue gaining a cult following in years to come. It's such an original film with one of the most memorable characters in recent memory.

jtb

Banned
Agreed.

Way too safe to be effective satire. And Gyllenhaal's character is too flat for it to be an interesting story without the satire. An enjoyable, fun ride, but a very tame one.

Banned
Terrible ending too. And had some really weird cheesy moments that felt out of place. Not amazing but kinda fun for the most part.

I loved it but I cracked up when Lou asked Renee Russo if she wanted to go to Casa Bonita.

edit: Ending spoiler discussion
So was it implicated that Lou was somehow connected to the guy that shot his partner? I didn't get why he looked at Lou and then just walk off

I really, really, really liked this movie

It was such a O____________O to sit through. The dialog! The way he talks! XD such great entertainment :> Very enjoy. Dark and absurd and well delivered <3 One of my favourites this year so far <3

King326

Dude was just about to make a thread on this. Good thing i scrolled down.

Saw it last night as well. Thought it was amazing. Gyllenhall's acting is awesome. He plays his persona very well. One of the better movies from last year.

AVERAGE!?!?!?!

It was my Best Picture of 2014 after GoTG.

Just out of curiosity, what did the OP think of the Best Picture Nominees? I would say this was better than all of them (except for Birdman, which I haven't seen yet).

This movie was leagues better than sappy trash like The Theory of Everything.

Disagree. Jake's best performance and one of the top 10 of last year, possibly top 5.

A very deep, psychologically thrilling adventure with a ton of payoff in the end.

Courage

AVERAGE!?!?!?!

It was my Best Picture of 2014 after GoTG.

Just out of curiosity, what did the OP think of the Best Picture Nominees? I would say this was better than all of them (except for Birdman, which I haven't seen yet).

This movie was leagues better than sappy trash like The Theory of Everything.

I only saw American Sniper and it sucked. Gonna watch Birdman next.

Maddocks

Only thing I can think about the movie is creepy, but in a good way. It being compared to American Psycho is perfect. Love both movies.

Ok, let's just get these things out of the way:

- this is not satire
- the score fits the relevant scenes and builds on the merit of superheroe scores because that is what Lou believes he is: the hero. People calling it shit are suspect of not having watched the damn thing, imo.
- he is not a weirdo, he is a psychopath. Yes, they actually reason that way. And no, Patrick Bateman is severely compromised, but ultimately not a complete psychopath. That is why the watch scene exist. Psychopaths cannot process emotions the way you do. There is no 'you' to go with their 'I'. 'You' are an object, something to be used and then disposed of. This is why they have to learn to do something as simple as repaying a smile with a smile, and they become very good at it too. But it never becomes innate. They can learn to mimic empathy, sympathy, charm (extremely well in fact), and these things, but they do not feel them, ever.
This has been, rather breakingly so, demonstrated by a researcher who tried 'curing' them. They just learned to fool people better into thinking they have any kind of empathy (from: The psychopath test by Jon Ronson). This is also what most people don't actually understand. This is why you believe this is 'satire', when it isn't. American Psycho is, but this isn't.
Listen to the language. How everything Lou says is something he learned from management and spirituality courses because people think those are morally good, even if they are not (they are actually just bullshit, all of them. Even Covey? YES, ALL OF THEM). He doesn't believe a word of it, he just knows that other people, you know: those 'things' that aren't him, respond well to them. Psychopath are usually also pathological liars and manipulators, doing only one thing: to check as the boxes you need to do what they want. A moral person who can see through that however, will simply not budge. This is what the scrapyard scene is for. But this kind of person is kind of rare, and rarely in the right position to make the call. That's the fucking movie, right there.

Also notice how his partner, the 'you' guy, who is morally sane tries to uphold that standard as if they share it. "I'm saying this for you". A good display of cognitive dissonance at work.

I suspect my reading list has a few things in common with Gilroy's, and therefore I really liked this movie. I can't speak for 'no country for old men' since I haven't watched it yet (I think it probably ignores the charm part and goes with the usual murderous creep fare, which is kind of cowardly way to avoid writing about reality in all its awfulness), but Gyllenhaal's performance here comes really close to 'the real deal'. Wonder how many they had to interview or study to get to that point.

Excellent script, and well shot. Love it.

edit: I forgot to mention that I see a lot of 'culture of fear', which is a sociology book on how the news has shifted on to stories that create fear, rather than their negation, which is what the real story is. An arrested robber is a real story. Another case of X running wild' becomes the story. Like I said: reading list.

that gunshot is the first one of those to legitimately make me jump in a LONG time.

Startled the FUCK out of me.

oh right, this is the difference between real violence and Hollywood / televised violence: telegraphing. In this movie, you know it's coming, but it's not telegraphed when by close-ups and other institutional party tricks to soften the blow.

Ok, let's just get these things out of the way:

- this is not satire
- the score fits the relevant scenes and builds on the merit of superheroe scores because that is what Lou believes he is: the hero. People calling it shit are suspect of not having watched the damn thing, imo.
- he is not a weirdo, he is a psychopath. Yes, they actually reason that way. And no, Patrick Bateman is severely compromised, but ultimately not a complete psychopath. That is why the watch scene exist. Psychopaths cannot process emotions the way you do. There is no 'you' to go with their 'I'. 'You' are an object, something to be used and then disposed of. This is why they have to learn to do something as simple as repaying a smile with a smile, and they become very good at it too. But it never becomes innate. They can learn to mimic empathy, sympathy, charm (extremely well in fact), and these things, but they do not feel them, ever.
This has been, rather breakingly so, demonstrated by a researcher who tried 'curing' them. They just learned to fool people better into thinking they have any kind of empathy (from: The psychopath test by Jon Ronson). This is also what most people don't actually understand. This is why you believe this is 'satire', when it isn't. American Psycho is, but this isn't.
Listen to the language. How everything Lou says is something he learned from management and spirituality courses because people think those are morally good, even if they are not (they are actually just bullshit, all of them. Even Covey? YES, ALL OF THEM). He doesn't believe a word of it, he just knows that other people, you know: those 'things' that aren't him, respond well to them. Psychopath are usually also pathological liars and manipulators, doing only one thing: to check as the boxes you need to do what they want. A moral person who can see through that however, will simply not budge. This is what the scrapyard scene is for. But this kind of person is kind of rare, and rarely in the right position to make the call. That's the fucking movie, right there.

Also notice how his partner, the 'you' guy, who is morally sane tries to uphold that standard as if they share it. "I'm saying this for you". A good display of cognitive dissonance at work.

I suspect my reading list has a few things in common with Gilroy's, and therefore I really liked this movie. I can't speak for 'no country for old men' since I haven't watched it yet (I think it probably ignores the charm part and goes with the usual murderous creep fare, which is kind of cowardly way to avoid writing about reality in all its awfulness), but Gyllenhaal's performance here comes really close to 'the real deal'. Wonder how many they had to interview or study to get to that point.

Excellent script, and well shot. Love it.

edit: I forgot to mention that I see a lot of 'culture of fear', which is a sociology book on how the news has shifted on to stories that create fear, rather than their negation, which is what the real story is. An arrested robber is a real story. Another case of X running wild' becomes the story. Like I said: reading list.

oh right, this is the difference between real violence and Hollywood / televised violence: telegraphing. In this movie, you know it's coming, but it's not telegraphed when by close-ups and other institutional party tricks to soften the blow.

^ all very good points

i loved, LOVED how he talked. It's so chilling.

Red

Terrible ending too. And had some really weird cheesy moments that felt out of place. Not amazing but kinda fun for the most part.
The ending worked for me. The whole movie is about the ascent of a sociopath. The news angle was not the only social commentary here. The movie is commentary on what it takes to succeed in profit-driven society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom