• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #161 - "Horror"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nezumi

No way the outline I have will produce a 2000 word story... Guess I'll have to come up with something shorter.

Nezumi

The sad truth is that if delivered convincing enough, those 7 words would indeed transform me into a shaking and crying mess :/

Nezumi

See, this for example wouldn't be convincing since there are no venomous spiders (as in could harm humans venomous) in Germany.

Nezumi

Haha, I remember when I saw a news report about this when I was younger and totally freaked out. Maybe this is the reason why I don't like bananas.

Tangent

Yesterday was someone's birthday! I'll give you a hint: his name rhymes with "tin can." Here's another hint: the first syllable is said like "sigh." Here's a third hint: the last syllable is the article for nouns that begin with a vowel.

Mike M

Nick N
Yesterday was someone's birthday! I'll give you a hint: his name rhymes with "tin can." Here's another hint: the first syllable is said like "sigh." Here's a third hint: the last syllable is the article for nouns that begin with a vowel.
Nezumi did not appreciate my efforts : (

Tangent

Nezumi did not appreciate my efforts : (

I'm a little confused. Does this have to do with the spider comment?
Aaaaah I'm doing some last minute writing and freaking myself out. Though don't let that suggest anything about the quality of this story thus far -- just about my easy-to-be-freaked-out state right now.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm a little confused. Does this have to do with the spider comment?
Aaaaah I'm doing some last minute writing and freaking myself out. Though don't let that suggest anything about the quality of this story thus far -- just about my easy-to-be-freaked-out state right now.
NEZUMI KNOWS!

Tangent

Hey guys, I'm fading. Is it OK if I submit in about 8 - 10 hours? Nobody really has to read my story anyway. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to read submissions this weekend, which disqualifies me. I hope that's OK.

And I'll try to read and give feedback to what I can. But I hope none of your guys' stories are TOO good! *points at you, you, and YOU!* I don't want the heebie-jeebies for a week!

Izuna

Banned
Do I still have time for a submission? Not exactly horror per se, but I told a story to my partner that she said I should write. ��

OH SHIT I HAVE TIME

Nezumi

NEZUMI KNOWS!

Careful there... I have more unicorns than you'd imagine at hand...

-----------------------

Man, this is the first time this year I'm struggling with my new years resolution of submitting something every thread.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
My Grandfather's Mirror About 1250 words.

So I wrote four different stories and this one was the best in my head. Actually, after editing this came out way better than I thought. Might have to give the other three their fair shake later too.

Also you're all lame for not posting the scariest 6 words story of them all...
Baby shoes for sale. Never worn.

Izuna

Banned
Just did 1900 words in about an hour for a short story I came up with on the spot over Skype to put my partner to sleep.

So there will be MANY tense and grammar issues, but the story is complete at least. Hope I made it in time.

EDIT: I am going to use the grace period to fix the spelling

Cyan

Banned
I gotta make a Drop Box. Just did 1909 words in about an hour for a short story I came up with on the spot over Skype to put my partner to sleep.

So there will be MANY tense and grammar issues, but the story is complete at least. Hope I made it in time.

You're good! The deadline is technically past, but there's a grace period for the next five and a bit hours, so go ahead and get your dropbox set up and post the story. :)

Izuna

Banned
You're good! The deadline is technically past, but there's a grace period for the next five and a bit hours, so go ahead and get your dropbox set up and post the story. :)

I posted OneDrive is that okay?

Also, where do I share the password?

Cyan

Banned
Easy way to share a password is email tags.

Copy paste this:
[email=password goes here][/email]

The password will only be visible to someone who quotes your post.

Nezumi

Not gonna bother with dropbox this time...

Depth (154 words)

Another wave of salty water pulls him under. He resurfaces gasping and sputtering and keeps swimming. Eyes always on the horizon ahead, never looking at the depth below. The depth where the dark blue turns into impenetrable blackness.

But the depth can not be ignored. It reaches out, slithering tendrils clasping the mind, injecting images of otherworldly terrors. And with each pull forward they come closer. Sharp teeth tearing at flesh, cold sucking tentacles reaching voraciously. Ever lurking just at the edge of the darkness. Waiting. Hungry. Eagerly. Mocking every effort of survival.

And behind them, hiding further in the darkness, another horror waits patiently. Its luring song weighing down on every muscle, lulling the mind, offering false comfort. With every note his body becomes heavier and the horizon withdraws a little further.

Another wave pushes him under. Darkness beckons with hidden teeth. He gasps for air, eyes on the horizon, and keeps swimming.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Unfortunately, I'm not going to have a contribution this time, on account of a death in the family. I'm also going to be traveling for the next few hours, so won't be able to add links to the submissions to the OP until later today. If anyone wants to collect the links in a single post before then, feel free to do so, and I'll just lazily copy-and-paste that post early in the afternoon.

Nezumi

Mike tried to usurp my cheerful Birthday wishes with his negative attitude but I thwarted his efforts with the help of rainbow unicorn cats.

Tangent

Rainbow unicorn cats tend to save the day, I've found.

Aaaaalll right. I know this is late, but here goes:
"Rush Hour" (1994 words)

I mentioned how I was freaking myself out last night while I wrote. Welp, that all changed in the warm sunlight of the morning.

I might be the last submitter. Oddly, this could be my first for compiling all entries together. But I'll see if I can figure it out...after grabbing some waffles! Hmm... I'm not sure if I should include my entry in the list...?

HORRORSHØW

My First Time

I was apprehensive about my first time. Being 14 years old I had no idea what to expect. My friends told me about their first times; some said it hurt, others said it wasn't painful and that they enjoyed it. I called with trepidation and set up our meeting. I walked in to his place. He was an older man, about my daddy's age. His salt and pepper hair was gently tussled across his forehead. He offered me a welcoming smile behind his veneers. Artificially bright, I thought; his teeth or his demeanor. Maybe both. I couldn't tell. I was too wrought with nerves to dissect my thoughts. The gentleman demanded I lie down and try to relax.

"Suzie, I know this is your first time, but you have to try and relax. I promise I'll be gentle."

He wasted no time and got straight to the point. Time like his is measured in cents.

"Open wide, Suzie."

I reluctantly did what he commanded. I opened wide to mitigate the pain and clenched my eyes so I wouldn't have to see his terrible instrument. The pain came over me in waves. Sharp, then throbbing, and finally receding into a lingering ache. It was horrible, but thank God he was quick to finish. He cleaned me up, taking care not to miss a spot. He stopped my bleeding with cotton balls, gently swabbing the tender area. When it was finally over he handed me a lollipop and congratulated me on taking it so well. I'll never forget my first time seeing a dentist.

Carlisle

Can't believe I got mine done while on holiday in Sydney. Now the true challenge: finding time to read all the submissions.

Btw Oz is the best, everyone should move here. Maybe the summer here is giving me a high after the horrendous winter the US east coast is under, but it's pretty great.

Ourobolus

Banned
Can't believe I got mine done while on holiday in Sydney. Now the true challenge: finding time to read all the submissions.

Btw Oz is the best, everyone should move here. Maybe the summer here is giving me a high after the horrendous winter the US east coast is under, but it's pretty great.

Watch out for drop bears!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom