• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Absolute Duo 12 + Final Thoughts

Of the battle-romance school shows, this one was my favorite. It had the best character interaction, even if it was a little heavy on the terminology at times. I even liked Miyabi! I'd say, more than anything else, it's solid. The mysteries of what's going on with the school are dangling there for book readers, but the question of Tohru and Julie's relationship has been settled in a way that provides some hint of closure for it. Plus it had Yukarin getting to more or less reprise Tabane, except with an overall bigger role. Not a standout, but it was a fun way to spend the time on Monday.

Lesbian Bear Jamboree 11

Kureha's trial has been a lot briefer than I was ever expecting it to be. Most of the episode was spent on Ginko and her past, an attempt to come to grips with her feelings - and the moment when she did had some really nice flourishes that gave it that climactic feeling. By this time next week, I should be wrapping up Utena and Bears at the same time. That's going to be one heck of a day.

e_i

Rezbian Bear Storm episode 11

Oh HELL NO.
Lulu, you were awesome. At least you died saving your friends.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Syomin Sample (info) TV anime that airs this year. Staff:

Anime Japan 2015 PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbM_HjrmQnM
Site: http://syominsample-anime.jp/

I don't know if I'll watch this... I have a feeling the same thing with what happened to ISUCA (have mercy on their souls) will happen to this. Add in a RIDICULOUS a mount of fanservice, more than what the manga entails and just destroy what the series is. I'm still really salty about ISUCA, dropped it after watching the first episode. Disgraceful.

When are we going to stop misleading the newbies?

When good anime starts to come out/

Yowamushi Pedal GR 23

Dat cliffhanger ending. So much hype.

ANOTHER ONE?! I'LL WAIT TILL NEXT WEEK THEN!

javac

2m8vAX4.jpg
Flag is a 13 episode original net animation (ONA) series that was released back in June 2006 and is the brainchild of director Ryosuke Takahashi, who is best known for his work on Armored Trooper VOTOMS and for innovating in the real robot genre. This genre in case you aren’t familiar is all about taking mecha and applying them to the real world environment, and thus their applications are not only grounded in reality, but also treated like any other bit of machinery. As such, this is a genre that greatly interests me. Having said that, what attracted me to Flag wasn’t this aspect of the show, as interesting as it is but the unique convention that is used in order to tell its story, which happens to be told through the viewfinder, recordings and snapshots taken by the camera wielding protagonist, Saeko Shirasu, a 25 year old war front-line photojournalist who takes an accidental photo of some civilians raising a flag in the war-torn city of Uddiyana that then becomes the catalyst for peace and a beacon of light. Things go belly up when the flag is stolen and the person who took the photograph is sent to document the retrieval of the flag.
If anything, Flag can be described as a wholly unique show based around an interesting idea, but obviously that idea alone can only take you so far on its own. What makes the gimmick for this show work is the attention to detail displayed throughout the show. A lot of homework and research was obviously done beforehand and it really works to create an immersive world that feels so real, you could swear that the photographs being taken in the show are being developed right in front of your eyes. The whole show takes frame through a camera, and thus the protagonist is rarely seen, since she’s literally holding the camera. She does on occasion hand the camera off to another character or momentarily places the camera down and walks in front of the viewfinder so you do see a bit of her throughout the 13 episodes. I felt that this was a really risky choice but worked out perfectly in the end. You really savor those moments you get to see the protagonist every once in a while. Of course due to this stylistic choice, the problem that will face many people will come in the shape of characterization or the lack thereof. This show is very leisurely in the way in which it tells its story and builds up its characters. This will in the end work for certain types of people while falling flat on its face for others. I can appreciate the flaws in this show (because it has many) while feeling accustomed to its mannerisms and its story telling conventions it adheres to. Basically, it worked well for me, but not without its faults. Your mileage may vary.
Sound design is something that I don’t hear much about when it comes to anime, but the audio in Flag was really striking. The soundtrack does an great job of capturing the moments of serenity between the firefights and loss, while the sounds of explosions and bullets really conjure up a feeling of tension when the action gets going. The audio coupled with the fantastic cinematography and composition of each shot works well in making this a striking show, one that I’ll be remembering for some time. I don’t have much knowledge on the man behind the music here, Yoshihiro Ike but whatever the case he did a great job here. The show relies on a few pieces and arranges them in different manners but that helps with the familiarity of it all. The opening song, Hope to Peace works really well in setting each episode up while the ending music, Lights by Eri Nobuchika caught my attention as soon as I heard it. The song is notable for being featured in the PSP video game Lumines, and was not what I was expecting from this show in juxtaposition to the opening but I actually really liked its use in the shows ending. The audio and visuals are areas that this show shines in. Voice acting was also strong, with a decent script, and Rena Tanaka doing a great job on the main characters voice.
Editing the show is Seyama Takeshi, seasoned editor who his well known for his work on many Studio Ghibli films and other landmark films such as Akira and Paprika. Not many people talk about the editing in shows as much as they ought to, but the editing in here is well done. It’s true that there’s loads of downtime in Flag, but I think that’s intentional. Being in a war, taking photographs of said war is not a glamorous job. Capturing the face of a man who has killed, because of an order that he received, while capturing the beautiful vistas that surround the front-line is what Flag spends most of its time on. Everything in the viewfinder of the camera is a character, from the mountains in the background that pierce the clouds to the goats that feed on the grass that blow in the gentle wind. The tranquility of it all amidst of the chaos of war is what I feel Flag truly captures, even it if doesn’t do it perfectly. It does tend to have this issue of doing one thing or another. Focusing on the characters or the politics of it all and never both at the same time, which hurts the pace and momentum it gains through its more emotional stretches. I feel that this is where the show falls a bit flat. It tried to take on too much at times, but spreads it out unevenly which makes some episodes lull by while others are full of life and interesting ideas.
As mentioned previously, Flag is a well-researched show, one that takes pride in its focus on cameras, and pays close attention to the realities that come with the world of photography such as shutter speed, aperture, white balance etc. Many scenes are shaky, some grainy. Whether the view you’re seeing is from the protagonist’s camera, or the thermal vision lens situated at the front of the mech itself or the webcam on a laptop, you truly get a verity of viewfinders that capture the moments and make for a visually diverse and appealing show, while having it all make sense in world.
Is Flag a perfect show? Far from it, and yet I found it intriguing, endearing as it aspired to be something more than the sum of its parts, and even if it doesn’t reach the heights Takahashi might have sought out to reach, I not only commend the show for its ability to think outside of the box and tackle a very real scenario with tact. It might sound like shallow praise, but it’s far from it. I enjoyed Flag a lot, and the change of pace from other shows is something that I appreciate and hope to see more of.
Some aspects of the show can seem on the nose, a little too in your face, while others come across as pure, and from a good place. That’s how I felt about this show. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and that sounds like a cop-out, but it’s truly not. It can be a slow show, one in which on the surface not much ever happens, and yet I became attached to the characters and everyone in this show. It affected me in the place that mattered, my heart and not so much in my head. Is a slice of life war show a thing? It should be. Seeing the characters struggles and day to day activities, from the chefs who cook the meals that may be the soldiers last to the photographers who capture the shots that may at least touch one person makes for an interesting atmosphere and allows you the viewer to become attached to these characters. It’s the little moments that make it, the shots of a soldier running in the rain by himself after having killed people in the confinements of his mech, or the protagonist spending a day in a remote village and getting to know the people who live amidst the battlefield, and sleep under the constant rain of bullets. If that’s your kind of thing, if you appreciate the little things and don’t mind watching a 13 episode series that focuses on the mundane things in war, if that’s such a thing, then you may enjoy this. But for anything, give it a go to see a story being told from a different lens.
-------------
Beautiful animation, a nice if somewhat bombastic soundtrack, amazing attention to detail and a myriad of visual effects and lenses from black and white photography to thermal vision all set in a 'seen it all before' setting that doesn’t really go anywhere at times, but is told in such a unique way that for many it will be engrossing enough with or without the aforementioned blemishes.
8/10

Baalzebup

Oh great, 6 was horrible too, on to #7...

See, now you actually have to finish it, to gain meaning to the 2 hours you've already spent on it, because it is both stupid and boring. It will never stop being stupid, but the crazy will start to fill the void and...... And then, at the end, Schoold Days will have claimed another victim.

Because it is a ride you just have to see to the end.

Okay, episode 7 of School Days was a waste of time as well, but at least there was a smack in this episode...

I tried to save you, but the only way now is forward, toward the black maw.

phaze

Great Teacher Onizuka 36

A whole episode of Azusa trying to choose a bikini and still, the stalker teacher doesn't show up ? They've totally written out their funniest character. :(

Great Teacher Onizuka 37

Well my knowledge of the Gundam franchise went up exponentially. Apparently G Gundam is for kids.

So this probably marks the start of another arc, this time focused on the trip to Okinawa. And on the two students Onizuka's whole adventure here began with, Yoshikawa and Anko (totally a couple by the end of arc). The latter apparently still has severe issues. Which is weird because in the previous arc she ratted Miyabi out and tried to help Onizuka.

Mr.Jeff

Polar Bear Cafe - End
Hmmmm. I really don't know what to say. I think I ended up enjoying it in a way but there was a lot of really boring episodes. It had a tendency to tread over old ground a lot for full length episodes.
Granted it's a slice of life but truly some of the better episodes were when something happened to change the situation they were in such as the episode where the group discusses Wolf's future.
It mostly doesn't help though that Panda was one of Jun Fukuyama's most irritating roles.

If you're angling after for something to pleasantly fill the time, you could do worse than this but I wouldn't really push this on anyone as a recommendation.

Samurai Flamenco: 9-11
This is still a really odd show. On one hand it tries to balance out the idea of superheroes in a what's deemed as a realistic situation with some fairly vicious violence and deaths and then the next it goes into complete comedic slapstick sequences.
Just....what.

Cornbread78

See, now you actually have to finish it, to gain meaning to the 2 hours you've already spent on it, because it is both stupid and boring. It will never stop being stupid, but the crazy will start to fill the void and...... And then, at the end, Schoold Days will have claimed another victim.

Because it is a ride you just have to see to the end.

I tried to save you, but the only way now is forward, toward the black maw.

Without wanting to spoil. It is basically a guro comedy/parody. Not for everyone but it's pretty over the top and amusing.

Part of me is glad I watched School Days before joining GAF.

The other is sad that I watched it at all.

Yeah, this is pretty terrible. Maybe he will be to touch them bare.... Oh goodness, #8 is shaping up much better....

I'll have to finish this series up tomorrow.

Jex

Or, alternatively there's fewer voices of reason trying to drown out the terrible recommendations.

Not that I would want people to avoid School Days because that's an amazing piece of fiction, but I would try to avoid dropping on people with limited exposure to the medium.

Or, alternatively there's fewer voices of reason trying to drown out the terrible recommendations.

Not that I would want people to avoid School Days because that's an amazing piece of fiction, but I would try to avoid dropping on people with limited exposure to the medium.

When you start with SAO you can only go up from there.

cajunator

Banned
Haikyuu!!'s Hitoka Yachi - anime design

Hmmm. sidetail. I like sidetails.

Strike Witches 6

A touching tale of how Russia and Finland belong together. And should they ever get separated because of Finland's fault, Russia will be always there to welcome her back and embrace her.

I might be reading too much into it.

There were already flashes of CG for the witches earlier but this episode had like 3 minutes of it. This is not okay.

OTP!

Syomin Sample (info) TV anime that airs this year. Staff:

Anime Japan 2015 PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbM_HjrmQnM
Site: http://syominsample-anime.jp/

Hmmm. interested. Maybe.

School Days has all that and more.

Should still be on Crunchyroll.

I second this. Nothing says true love like School Days.

I had a question....there was an anime movie I saw about 20ish years ago, back when the Scifi channel would run an anime movie on Saturday morning.

It had an AI that humans created eliminating humanity and there was a half human/half machine guy as the protagonist. He couldn't had vague memories of his human life, but he was mostly machine like in his lack of emotion. The AI's leader was a machine general that kinda reminded me of M. Bison.

I know this might be a little vague, but can anyone identify the name of the anime? Remembered it a couple days ago and have been racking my brain trying to figure it out, did some google searches but that didn't help.

Figure if no one here has any idea, I'm just giving up.

I dont know the answer, but you might be interested in Armitage the III.
Its an older OVA series but should be pretty cheap.

Hey guys, I hope im in the right thread. I need an anime recommendation. I'm starting to see this guy and he seems awesome, but I'm into grittier anime or anime with lots of action whereas he's not. He's into the Fairy Tail and the Sailor Moon and whatnot. The more popular, less "gritty" stuff, with sprinkles of humor.

So I'm asking here if there might be any decent recommendations that might keep both of our interests that we could start watching together? Something with some action but not a lot of vicious bits? I mean, he even got uncomfortable during some scenes of Tokyo Ghoul. He's already watched the Naruto and the Bleach and other popular titles on CrunchyRoll, but I have no clue what else might be out there tht would satisfy both of our tastes

Hmmm. ROD OVA/ROD TV are pretty entertaining, with occasionally violent bits but its basically girls with the supernatural ability to control and manipulate paper with a bit of a James Bond theme mixed in. Very stylish and enjoyable watch.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

All I know for School Days is some effed up stuff happens. I've seen enough of the clips to know.

Absolute Duo END
Overall it wasn't anything amazing but I thought it was fun to watch.
Also I liked both EDs ^% / %$
Bunny Teacher was true MVP this ep

and finished ImoCho, I mean it's terrible but not that terrible. I've seen worse. The Metal Gear thing was pretty dumb though .

Mr.Jeff

Well, recommendations for good things are a lot harder when there's no clear indication of what the person is into in the first place. Especially when it's starts off with "I liked Series X, I want something exactly the same as it"

On the other hand, bad shows are always bad which is why there's a more solidly defined list of such series than there are of good ones.

Cornbread78

But that ending to Episode 8...
Da pres now too
?? WTF... Where are we going....

Baalzebup

Funnily enough, that's I got into anime.

Then I discovered ecchi...

The thing is, in some ways, Elfen Lied is a good entry anime. As in, if you're fine with the first 5 minutes and the part with the secretary makes you laugh like it should, you have been initiated well and good.

Going on to the series itself, you get random graphic violence, creepy sex things, the kinda awesome but still a massive asshole Bando, irredeemable bastard children, traumatic haunted past crap, an inconclusive ending etc, all in a package that still has some (variable) entertainment value. You clear all that and still have willingness to watch anime, you can go on to watch all kinds of stuff.

School days, on the other hand, is bland, boring and stupid, until it becomes depressing and stupid, and from there crazy and stupid, and Makoto is one of the most repulsive MCs ever. He doesn't even do anything entertaining and instead just kinda is there, being shit and pulling everything down with him.

It really should only be watched as part of the plumbing of the crappy detritus of shitty anime.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Come join us then. Saekano is the best anime ever!

People keep talking about Saekano, and I know it's a different show, but I keep thinking of SaiKano.

No one wins in SaiKano. You don't come out of that a winner.

Watching AnimeGaf descend into unrestrained schadenfreude has been amusing as a lurker

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

When are we going to stop misleading the newbies?

This is the way of life.

But that ending to Episode 8... Da pres?? WTF... Where are we going....

Places. You're going places.

Jex

Well, recommendations for good things are a lot harder when there's no clear indication of what the person is into in the first place. Especially when it's starts off with "I liked Series X, I want something exactly the same as it"

On the other hand, bad shows are always bad which is why there's a more solidly defined list of such series than there are of good ones.

The thing is, even if I didn't really know what your tastes were based off such limited information I could still whip up 10 - 20 good shows which are 'safe bets', stuff anyone could potentially enjoy. It's not that hard!

Cornbread78

Your heading towards the place where all manga reading Berserk fans despise...

People keep talking about Saekano, and I know it's a different show, but I keep thinking of SaiKano.

No one wins in SaiKano. You don't come out of that a winner.

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

This is the way of life.

Places. You're going places.

Oh goodness, please don't hurt me, I'm still a rookie....

Li Kao

People seem to like Shirobako well enough from the current season, though I can't really comment on it personally. From the last few years, in addition to your already excellent list I'd also suggest you check out: Ping Pong (NeoGAF's #1 anime of 2014!), From the New World, Mawaru Penguin Drum, Flowers of Evil, Wandering Son, and Yamato 2199 if those sound like anything of interest to you. Happy viewing!

Thank you very much for the suggestions, very appreciated ! Seems like excepting Shirobako nothing stood out recently.

cajunator

Banned
I see that Irregular is a short series, so I may be able to finish that over the next few days.

LOL, it's alright, new community for me, so I fully expect to be trolled, because I just don't know any better, lol.

Scarily enough, I found the first episode of School Days interesting and entertaining so I guess my taste in Anime really does differ from everyone else... It's all a new world to me.

Mahouka is pretty watchable. Especially if you liked SAO at all.

This can at least work as a complement for another 10+ year gap!

7N0svkO.gif

OMG KILL IT WITH THE FIRES OF HELL

Speaking of, Elfen Lied is an incredible experience.
Cornbread, you should watch it too!

I concur
You should watch it!

Well, speaking about newbie, are there debuting shows that are appreciated this season ? I already have some older anime I plan to watch*, but I could do with some fresh ones if the feedback is good.

* Nichijo, Baccano, Durarara, Yozakura Quartet, Gin no Saji, Hyouka, Tsuritama, Gatchaman Crowd, Steins;Gate

Good stuff on your planned watchlist. Also check out Shirobako and Gourmet Graffiti.

Should skip that lightweight shit and move on to apocalypse zero and eiken

now THIS is true evil at work.

This week's Animator Expo short will be Shigeto Koyama's Obake-chan: http://animatorexpo.com/titlelist/

The unit director is Hiromi Wakabayashi, so I guess it's another Trigger short.

squeee!

I had a question....there was an anime movie I saw about 20ish years ago, back when the Scifi channel would run an anime movie on Saturday morning.

It had an AI that humans created eliminating humanity and there was a half human/half machine guy as the protagonist. He couldn't had vague memories of his human life, but he was mostly machine like in his lack of emotion. The AI's leader was a machine general that kinda reminded me of M. Bison.

I know this might be a little vague, but can anyone identify the name of the anime? Remembered it a couple days ago and have been racking my brain trying to figure it out, did some google searches but that didn't help.

Figure if no one here has any idea, I'm just giving up.
I remember watching that too. :O I think it was Casshan: Robot Hunter.

Shows the general that fits the description.

sonicmj1

for the love of god nobody watch this

between Apocalypse Zero and Eiken I'd almost rather rewatch Clannad Again.

They're that horrible.
Actually, and I say this with absolute sincerity, Cornbread would probably really like Clannad. Everyone I know who likes SAO enjoys it.

e_i

Absolute Duo END
Overall it wasn't anything amazing but I thought it was fun to watch.
Also I liked both EDs ^% / %$
Bunny Teacher was true MVP this ep

and finished ImoCho, I mean it's terrible but not that terrible. I've seen worse. The Metal Gear thing was pretty dumb though .

Is Bunny teacher turned all the girls in the school into yuriyuri girls? Why are they after her?

cajunator

Banned
Oh my, should I add it to my list then? I mean, I took a look at Google images and it looks like an absolute mess...

Shin Sekai Yori (from the new world)
The Irregular at Magic High School
Puella Magi Madoka
Katanagatari

BTW, Episode 4 was meh.. So stupid, most people go through that in middle school...

Avoid Apocalypse Zero. there is nothing at all redeeming about it. Nothing.
Not even in a so bad its good kind of way. Its garbage.

I will, but it feels like I'm watching some exaggerated version of any of the 1,000's of high school drama shows out there..

The MC is quite unlike any other spineless Mc harem protagonist.

If anyone is still taking anime suggestions, you should watch The Tatami Galaxy

It's really wonderful

This is a legitimately good suggestion.

This is why AnimeGAF is my community of choice.

<3

Avenue Q <3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQGQ5qBQTA

Well, I feel like it's been this way for awhile but perhaps it has gotten worse recently.

Actually, it hasnt been bad at all recently.
A lot less than it used to.

That is quite true!

Cornbread78

Avoid Apocalypse Zero. there is nothing at all redeeming about it. Nothing.
Not even in a so bad its good kind of way. Its garbage.

The MC is quite unlike any other spineless Mc harem protagonist.

Just finished Episode# 9

Now the "Childhood friend" School Days for sure, lol..

Damn, this dude is a pimp....

He's not a playa he just crushes ALOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom