• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT3| I Cane, I Saw, I Conqu- YOU DIED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

Is the Bloodborne Collector's Edition Strategy Guide going to be worth buying?

Will it cover a lot of combat techniques with all the collectible weapons comprehensively? Will it cover all the optional quest lines and how to trigger everything and all the different possibilities completely? Or should I just rely on the internet for all of that?

Oh and I hope it has good art in it too.

Ljx718

Neo Member
Lack of fast travel, lack of boss "souls" to make new items, return to dumb grinding for healing items like in DeS, lack of ways to play the game(no matter your equip you fight everything the same), weak bosses, lack of varying art design, less than half the weapons, armor, items, lack of upgradable armor, less bosses, lack of equip load, half the stats, linier world(outside of a few sidequest you just go point a to point b there is no part where you choose which way to go), load times, texture popping, lack of interactavle npcs, lack of respec, lack of ASKING YOU if you want to move to NG+, & so on.

Gameplay is far less strategic due to the regen mechanic you can just keep mashing against slightly weaker enemies & never worry about dying. How about the fact all viceral attacks are the same instead of unique animations per weapon type like the previous game? The list is infinite how much is NOT in this game. Every system mechanic was either dialed back or removed from previous Souls games. Wanna Duel wield? Better get that ONE weapon that allows that. What's power stance? Never heard of it. Stronger healing items? You can only carry one, go back & farm more Bloodviles in Central. The game is so boring once you get to NG+ cause there is nothing else to do. No stronger new enemies, no new drastically different builds to attempt, no new attacks from bosses, nothing. All it is is the same enemies but more health & they do more damage. Also bo bonfire aestic equivalent either. Sorry, the game lacks content ESPECIALLY when compared to Dark Souls 2.
Looks like the game isn't for you. At least DS2 remaster is coming out soon. Maybe that'll be better

lil

It's pretty badass too. It's a whip in one form, and pretty much a sword in the other. And to transform between from whip to sword, your character will smash the end of it against the ground, sending sparks everywhere.

#YearOfTheCane
Holy crap. Cane weapon + wheelchair mob = Disability representation GOTF???

JNT

my tactic

just used the tombstones as shields and my attacks were long enough to hurt him (Hold R2 with Axe fucked him up real quick.) then when he transforms, use music box…more R2, molotove, throwing knife…profit :)

I actually saw a guy who managed to get the boss
into a loop where the player could endlessly backstab the boss, clocking the fight to just a minute
. I tried it myself but I never could get it to work reliably.

Tips for Rom:

Kill the first batch of spiders, since he does't use his AoE yet. Attack Rom until he dissapears. Now, for the AoE attacks: I found the ones that come up from the ground is easily avoided simply by running sideways. The ones from the sky seems easy to miss if you move TOWARDS him. Run and roll like a motherfucker towards him when these appear.

Lure the spiders towards you, then storm and attack him for a few times (until you think the small spiders are too close), then run away again.

Rinse and repeat. Got him the first time I tried this tactic

I'll try it. Thanks.

GulAtiCa

Where did you find this npc?

In (mid-game spoilers)
Forbiden Woods
where
you first meet the first human-snake dude. He is on top of that huge house/building. Go out via the back, where you hear the loud wind sounds and go up to roof.

Trickster

So, what itens shouls I have to reach the T
rue ending
? (End Game Spoilers)

Is it only the
Third of an Umbilical Cord
found on the
Workshop
in the
"pit"
?

You need 3 of them from what I understand, and you have to use them. I just had them in my inventory, and didn't get the thing you spoilered.

fedexpeon

Banned

Will it cover a lot of combat techniques with all the collectible weapons comprehensively? Will it cover all the optional quest lines and how to trigger everything and all the different possibilities completely? Or should I just rely on the internet for all of that?

Yeah, it covers all of that based on my past experience with the other 2 DS guides. It is cheap as well, and the guide has a lot of artwork, lore, and other information as well.
And man, it looks nice on your coffee table.

Carbonox

As soon as you find one of those miraculous shortcuts it all just clicks. Truly masterful design.

YES. It's not often I relish and appreciate the lack of a map. All the areas I've visited so far are embedded on the back of my hand pretty much. Always know where to go and how to get there.

BeeDog

Is there any specific lore reason as to why Forbidden Woods and Lakeside Moon are not affected by the time-of-day/skybox changes?

LiK

I would say yes.

Dynamic theme, art, lore, MIYAZAKI INTERVIEW

I have the guides for DKSI & DKSII - if it's the same quality, then it's a great book to have just for the quality of it, art, etc. Eventually all of the information makes it onto the wiki's. And, as patches/etc come out - some of the item information can get out-dated.

But, the previous guide books did cover - optional quests, steps, item locations, tactics, what special moves bosses have, etc.

The guides were only ever really useful because when they came out they were the only info in the game, this time around by the time the guide is out, basically everything you need will be online.

I don't think the lack of respec is a big deal in Bloodborne because most of the "newbie trap" stat allocations have been removed. The stats that are there seem to be legitimately functional across the board, and aside from just eking out dribs and drabs into everything there doesn't seem to be a truly "bad" way to spend your echoes.

Though, I suppose going way over soft-caps would be one way. The thing about that is that it tells you up-front what you're getting when you level a stat, so it's not exactly hard to see when the value of continuing to level something isn't worth it.

Deku Tree

Yeah, it covers all of that based on my past experience with the other 2 DS guides. It is cheap as well, and the guide has a lot of artwork, lore, and other information as well.
And man, it looks nice on your coffee table.

I would say yes.

Dynamic theme, art, lore, MIYAZAKI INTERVIEW

Ok I guess I gotta buy it then... after I finish my play through maybe I'll wait until I have the guide to start up an NG+. It's good to take a breather.

VinFTW

It's gonna be bard to beat this for GOTY, imo, one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm pretty sure the honey moon phase is over.

Most of my complaints can be fixed with patches, minus maybe the shit health system :p and somewhat the difficulty.

Shakes fist furisously! /jk

Heh. Good to know. Getting my ass kicked by the S
hadows
Funny thing is that I am certain that I am the one killing myself
KuGsj.gif
heres my video on that fight, Axe is overpowered for quite a few bosses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVDyOrvjt2w

boinx

Finished the game for the first time now, took me 26 hours, definitely the shortest amount of time all the souls games I played. I think there's a couple reasons for that tho.

Bloodborne seems to be more suited to my playstyle than the previous games, I never used shields in the Dark games and always went in aggressively. I also definitely missed out on a lot of stuff and only cleared one chalice dungeon.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Mid game (I think) area discussion:

I'm not feeling the forest. Boring rock corridors and trees here and there that are supposed to be a forest. Corridors and rooms work well within the city and tombs, but this doesn't work. Enemies so far are not in my liking. Small snakes are boring and big ones are annoying. Only cool thing so far has been the first snake head human enemy. It get's better, I hope.

That place is absolutely amazing for invading people.

Tip for
Rom
since I see he's a current point of trouble for a lot of people.

Kill all spiders before dealing with him. It might take a few minutes longer, but my God does it make it easier. Run along side a spider, and use a vertical attack, like the extended Saw Cleaver's R1. The backside of the spiders are their weakpoints. If you see spiders started to crawl around you, run out and reposition. If you see them jump, just move from your location and then attack then when their head is in the ground. Once all the spiders are gone, go to work on Rom. He disappears every 33% or so, but it's possible to skip phases. I've used this tactic both times I faced him, and one shotted him last night. Just beware of his charged AOE attack in the last couple phases. The ice rain thing can easily be avoided.

biteren

I will try this...I read some advice to ignore them and it's not working as intended...

they might seem like they got alot of healt but hit them in thier little bug asses.

EDIT: also when you get to "phase 2" adopt a hit n run strat but keep kiling those spider, you dont have to get em all but just clear enough of em so they wont be a problem.

anddo0

it changes everything

After you kill
Rom
then a lot of side quests become unaccessible if you haven't progressed them far enough yet. And yes there are a lot of other small world changes after that too, enemies in new locations
HUNTERS
, and
where you go next in unseen village changes a lot
etc.

Outside of aesthetic differences, most unfinished/unstarted NPC quests become unavailable.

Thanks. I spoiler tagged the name, didn't mean to add to the untagged spoilers in here.

I think I'm okay in terms of missed npc quests. I've explored every area leading up to
Rom
with the exception of
Hemwick Charnel Lane, and I have yet to fight Darkbeast Paarl

Ok I guess I gotta buy it then... after I finish my play through maybe I'll wait until I have the guide to start up an NG+. It's good to take a breather.

I own the hardcover limited Dark Souls 1 and 2 guides, but I've never used them as guides. I buy them as extra pieces of collector's stuff and I can vouch for their amazing quality.

Can't wait for this one. 528 pages of art and lore.

Let me first say this is my first Souls game, I'm LOVING it but having my fair share of problems. First question.

When I beat Cleric Beast I seem to remember getting a Cathedral Key or something like that, but now I cant find it in my inventory, what gives?

Also, I've made it to Father Gascione but I'm having real trouble with him. I've been using the Threaded Cane and I've upgraded it twice (maybe +3? I can't remember) but I also have non-uggraded Hunter's Axe and Saw Spear. would either of those be better?

At this point I think I've explored all areas available to me, I think i have the beat Father G to progress.

I just beat him so I can offer some spoiler-tagged help.
I used the cane as well then switched to the axe for him. In person-form shoot him before he attacks then go all in. He'll make a sound and drop to his knees then hold R1 to do a high damage move. In beast form the gun doesn't stun so use the long form of the axe and dodge to the sides not back. Also if a little girl gave you a music box you can stun with that. Most effective in human form, really risky in beast form.

That's all the tricks I know so if you want to figure it out yourself don't look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom