• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hard Drive Upgrade opinions

Hugstable

Banned
Put this HDD in my PS4 just a day or so ago http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20.

Love having all this space now with a 2 TB HDD, had 1.77 GB available after the firmware install, and after installing all my current games, I'm now sitting pretty at 1.13 TB leftover. Best part of all is how easy it was to actually do the install, it's the simplest shit ever.

KalBalboa

Banned
Replaced the stock 500 GB drive in my PS3 with a 750 GB 7200 RPM to hopefully improve the so-so performance.

Hoping to put at least a terabyte 7200 or hybrid drive in the PS4 soon.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm leaning towards a 7200 rpm for my PS4 upgrade, but having a hard time finding a 2 TB out there. Any recommendations? Can't find a 2.5".

X-Factor

GET THIS 2TB ONE:
USA link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRHTSK4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Canada link:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ILALU9G/

2 TB and has performance similar to the SSHD.

Do not get a 1TB drive, you will upgrade again eventually.

With the drive in the link above you can re-use the enclosure to convert the old drive in your PS4 into a portable USB drive after.

Instructions on how to easily remove the hard drive from the enclosure:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R79ES7QWZWYMO/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R79ES7QWZWYMO

KalBalboa

Banned
GET THIS 2TB ONE:
USA link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRHTSK4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Canada link:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ILALU9G/

2 TB and has performance similar to the SSHD.

Do not get a 1TB drive, you will upgrade again eventually.

With the drive in the link above you can re-use the enclosure to convert the old drive in your PS4 into a portable USB drive after.

Instructions on how to easily remove the hard drive from the enclosure:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R79ES7QWZWYMO/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R79ES7QWZWYMO

2 TB is cool, but that's a 5400 RPM drive, is it not? Not a 7200 or hybrid.

X-Factor

According to Eurogamer the speed is faster than the stock HGST drive in the PS4, and it is only 2-4 seconds in loading time here or there slower in performance
than the 1TB Seagate SSHD.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb

^ In some cases the 2TB hard drive is faster than the 1TB SSHD.

2 TB is cool, but that's a 5400 RPM drive, is it not? Not a 7200 or hybrid.

I had the 1TB Seagate drive in my PS4s but upgraded both of them. Happy with the performance so far.
With the drive I posted to earlier, I converted the old drives into portable USB drives using the same enclosure I extracted the new drives from.

KalBalboa

Banned
According to Eurogamer the speed is faster than the stock HGST drive in the PS4, and it is only a couple seconds here or there slower in performance
than the 1TB Seagate SSHD.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb

I had the 1TB Seagate drive in my PS4s but upgraded both of them. Happy with the performance so far.
With the drive I posted to earlier, I converted the old drives into portable USB drives using the same enclosure I extracted the new drives from.

Nice. Thanks for all the info- you can go crazy trying to weigh pros and cons with going 7200 or hybrid, or maybe just going for size because of platter GB density, etc.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I bought this hybrid 1tb a while back for my ps4
LINK TO IT HERE
and I noticed compared to my friend's ps4's there is much less lag in the UI and the games understandably boot up faster. I'm sure down the road I'm going to have to delete some games to make room but in the mean time I'm enjoying the increased performance.

X-Factor

With the drive I posted here is what the OS looks like.

NOTE: I have only re-installed about 6 games as of the time the picture was taken.

I think it is better to get that 2TB Seagate portable drive because it is not only cheaper than an OEM drive,
the enclosure can be re-used with the drive you take out of the PS4. I would not have had anywhere to use the old stock hard drive if
I did not have the enclosure. That makes a big difference in getting practical use out of everything while upgrading at the same time.

ibcEDO2Lrx44NZ.jpg

Uh... it says Western Digital right there in the logo.

Western Digital bought out HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Technologies) but operates them as a separate division. HGST products are different from WD products and all feature a 3-year warranty, many of WD and Seagate's consumer hard drives have only a 1-year warranty.

KalBalboa

Banned
So many damn options... if that 2 TB Seagate was only 7,200 RPM it'd be an instant-buy.

The PS4 OS runs so smooth already... maybe a SSHD hybrid isn't really worth it in the first place? 2 TB of space seems like a good future-proofing measure and it seems like it'll give it a nice boost to the stock drive in terms of speed.

Yoday

I went with a 1TB 7200rpm drive, as I wanted more reliability in the speed increase. I'm already to the point of having to delete games, but it's really not a big deal, and the faster drive gave me a noticeable improvement to the speed of the UI, not just loading for games. Though, the limited content bar since 2.0 negates some of the need for the snappier loading of game icons.

NYR

So many damn options... if that 2 TB Seagate was only 7,200 RPM it'd be an instant-buy.

The PS4 OS runs so smooth already... maybe a SSHD hybrid isn't really worth it in the first place? 2 TB of space seems like a good future-proofing measure and it seems like it'll give it a nice boost to the stock drive in terms of speed.

You're making 7200 too much of a big deal, it isn't a deal breaker. What you want is a 2 TB SSHD that is 7200 RPM - doesn't exist. Just get that 2 TB 5400 RPM model, it is the best option for PS4 an, like, 3 seconds slower.

KalBalboa

Banned
You're making 7200 too much of a big deal, it isn't a deal breaker. What you want is a 2 TB SSHD that is 7200 RPM - doesn't exist. Just get that 2 TB 5400 RPM model, it is the best option for PS4 an, like, 3 seconds slower.

Yeah, you're probably right. Do you think SSHD is kind of overrated too?

It seems like the data that's likeliest to be cached and benefit from the SSD portion of the drive is the PS4 OS itself... and that already, basically, flies.

A lot of those external USB HDDs use drives which are lower quality because they're not meant to be used as internal storage in computers. They're cheaper for a reason, they usually only have 1 year warranties, and their parts aren't rated for long life with continuous usage. After all, they're meant for occasional use as backup or media storage drives!

Pulling one of these cheap portable drives out of it's enclosure and stuffing it in your PS4 might seem like a smart money-saving move now until it fails and your save games explode. I hope that you guys have PS+ and backup your saved games to the cloud if you are doing this.

KalBalboa

Banned
A lot of those external USB HDDs use drives which are lower quality because they're not meant to be used as internal storage in computers. They're cheaper for a reason, they usually only have 1 year warranties, and their parts aren't rated for long life with continuous usage. After all, they're meant for occasional use as backup or media storage drives!

Pulling one of these cheap portable drives out of it's enclosure and stuffing it in your PS4 might seem like a smart money-saving move now until it fails and your save games explode. I hope that you guys have PS+ and backup your saved games to the cloud if you are doing this.

That's actually a pretty solid point.

medenko

Banned

not true, here it's 2 or 3 yr warranty.

Ruh roh raggy

not true, here it's 2 or 3 yr warranty.

Well the warranty will be voided once you take it out of the case, though.

This is definitely a concern.

kingwingin

that is exactly what I wanted. I was getting tempted to do that external hdd mod from the other thread but and official 3tb laptop drive is what I wanted.

Now we just need foldersbetter library set up, that shit looks ghastly atm

Edit: just noticed I'm a member! Woot!

Glad to have been of service and congratulations

Nevermind about my problem. Turns out I had downloaded a very slightly older update file (it was still the same 758mb, but the bytes were different). I think I had 2.02.. anyways, I redowloaded the file and it is updating now.

kingwingin

Glad to have been of service and congratulations

Thank you :)

Nevermind about my problem. Turns out I had downloaded a very slightly older update file (it was still the same 758mb, but the bytes were different). I think I had 2.02.. anyways, I redowloaded the file and it is updating now.

Wait, so if I install a new hdd I need supply my own firmware? I don't have a computer, how can I do this?

JP

Not out until May sometime but Toshiba have just announced the 2.5 inch 3TB MQ03ABB300.

KitGuru said:
The Toshiba MQ03ABB300 hard disk drive with 3TB capacity is based on four perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR) 750GB platters. Since the hard drive employs so many platters, it is 15mm thick, which means that it will not fit into the vast majority of laptops. According to Toshiba, the hard drive is designed for “personal external storage and space-constrained needs”.

The MQ03ABB300 hard disk drive features 5400rpm spindle speed, 16MB cache, Serial ATA-6Gb/s interface as well as 512e advanced formats. Toshiba declares 5.56ms average latency time. The drive typically consumes 1.7W and 0.7W in idle mode, which means that it is very power efficient for its capacity.

KitGuru

So, my hard drive keeps making a clicking noise on my PS4, like it's trying to write to a sector and skips over it.

Sometimes it does it rarely, sometimes a lot, when I'm playing one of my downloaded PSN titles. For disc based stuff it's not as big of an issue.

However, sometimes upon rebooting the clicking intensifies and my system needs me to boot into safe mode, or asks that I reinstall update 2.03.

So because of this I just decided to replace my hard drive. Going with this one Was mentioned in the thread already, the quicker loading times will be nice,e even if short and I won't be downloading any retail games other than PSN stuff so I'll update once it arrives.

PaulLFC

I've been looking at getting a 2TB drive for the PS4, one thing I'd need to check though, does swapping the drive out change how multiple PSN accounts are handled at all?

I have my main UK PSN account and also a US PSN account for the flash sales that they do, through which I've bought a few PS4 games by this point. Currently they're both set as primary accounts and all is well - when I swap out the drive is it just a case of

1. Sign into both UK and US PSN accounts with email/password
2. Set both as primary again
3. Download all PS4 games I own both UK and US
4. Play without problems?

I'm about to buy a Samsung M9T 2TB HDD which is compatible with the PS4. Is this a good choice or should I conisder something different in the 2TB range?

If so, which one?

Edit:

Ended up buying a HITACHI 2.5" HGST 1TB HDD 7200RPM after reading about certain issues with the Samsung.

I'm about to buy a Samsung M9T 2TB HDD which is compatible with the PS4. Is this a good choice or should I conisder something different in the 2TB range?

If so, which one?

Edit:

Ended up buying a HITACHI 2.5" HGST 1TB HDD 7200RPM after reading about certain issues with the Samsung.

Is the Hitachi one considered the best option out right now?

If so, which one?

Edit:

There are "certain issues" because literally 1000 times more people bought the Samsung which means more people will get acceptable manufacturer defects.

If so, which one?

Edit:

I got the Seagate/Samsung M9T 2TB in January. Originally bought the version in the USB enclosure. After removing it from the enclosure and installing it, all seemed well. Until it started chirping. Not the clicking that soon heralds failure, but quiet chirping. According to some other sites, it's the drive parking its head. The scuttlebutt is that the USB version's firmware may be tuned for more aggressive power management. I found that it chirped quite a bit while I was on the PS4 menu. I didn't really care until it started doing it during games.

I took it out and returned it. Bought the slightly more expensive version that is intended as an internal drive. It still chirps every now and again, but it's so infrequent that I usually don't notice. And it rarely if ever happens during games. The chirping is pretty quiet as it is, but it was distracting on the previous drive in how much it happened.

I would not recommend getting the USB one, even if the drives look identical. Here's a reddit thread I found after trying to figure out what was going on: http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/2kfx9r/. That said, the internal version has been great. Still some quiet chirps every now and again, but hardly noticeable.

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for the advice. :)

Wondering if anyone can help me out.

I just updated my ps4 firmware to 2.51. At the PlayStation website they don't currently 2.51 available for download ( it shows 2.51 but the download button isn't clickable)

Would I need to the current ver. firmware (2.51) to update my ps4 when I upgrade the HDD, or could I use the old version (2.50)? And does it matter if I download the firmware from an overseas website?

Thanks.

Top Bottom