• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Old people with socialized health care are pissed off about marginally socialized health care for younger people.

How sweet of them.

Remember that the King in King vs Burwell is 64 years old. I guess because he's in the program for one full year he's entitled to burn the whole thing to the ground rather than deal with it for a few months.

Relax metaman, I'm not making a legal argument here.

Jackson50

Thought this was interesting, and something that backs up my own unscientific comparisons between Australia and the US
The American political system has become even more dysfunctional than Linz and Stepan theorized. They only consider electorally-generated veto players. Although they acknowledge that, they omit key impediments to the legislative process. Veto players can manifest in non-electoral factors. Consider that the Senate, which is already malapportioned, now requires a qualified majority for motions of procedure; the prospects of passing legislation decline significantly. Despite having solid majorities in the 111th Congress, the Democrats struggled to pass major legislation because of Republican obstruction. With a unified government, the number of veto players should effectively decrease. But that failed to happen. Reform is essential for a functional government, but it is highly unlikely.
Quinnipac Poll National:

Hillary vs Rubio

45-43

Hillary vs Bush

46-39.
If it's this close already, our only hope is for the Republicans to idiotically nominate one of the lesser candidates. This could be 1952 all over again for Democrats.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well Jon Stewart gave one of the worst interviews I've ever seen on his show. Tonight's guest was Dana Perino, and we could had some fun chatting with her about things like not knowing what the Cuban Missile Crisis was, but instead he spends nearly the entire interview talking about her stupid dog. UGH.

Maledict

I do think that out of all the Republican candidates currently on offer, Rubio is the most plausible challenger to Hillary. He will have an awfully tough time making it through the primaries but outside of his dreadful SoU response he's a good public speaker, and presents a very dynamic contrast to Hillary. He also bolsters Florida which is a mist win state for the republicans.

Looks like the FCC is killing the twc and Comcast merger

Both DOJ and FCC are going to kill it.

TWC and Comcast were dumb to even try it. I don't know how they could look at DOJ's response to the AT&T/T-Mobile merger in the mobile space and think they were going to get this approved.

Wheeler's appointment as FCC chair probably emboldened them. But I think both companies were foolish to think they could get it approved by the FCC and DOJ.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Quinnipac Poll National:

Hillary vs Rubio

45-43

Hillary vs Bush

46-39.

You mean the guy who just had a big announcement that he'd run for president is polling well?

I, for one, am shocked.

Both DOJ and FCC are going to kill it.

TWC and Comcast were dumb to even try it. I don't know how they could look at DOJ's response to the AT&T/T-Mobile merger in the mobile space and think they were going to get this approved.

Wheeler's appointment as FCC chair probably emboldened them. But I think both companies were foolish to think they could get it approved by the FCC and DOJ.
I don't think it was a given but the FCC calling for a hearing seems the nail in the coffin.

Wonder how he charter bright house merger will go. Doesn't seem that objectionable since bright house is so small.

Just saw Jindal's NYT marriage op-ed piece. He still hasn't announced yet, right? I can't see any reason for him to get into the race at all at this point. I mean he would just end up taking votes away from Cruz.

I guess watching the Tea Party stick its own hand in the grinder again would be fun. Still, I don't know what some of these guys are thinking. The ones that don't just need the money anyway.

Going down, down, down

In the wake of a poll last week showing low approval ratings for Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R), a second poll released on Wednesday found Walker's approval rating slipping as well.

Just 41 percent of Wisconsin residents approved of Walker while 58 percent disapproved, according to a poll released by St. Norbert College, Wisconsin Public Radio and Wisconsin Public Television.

Last week, a Marquette University poll found that 41 percent of registered voters approved of Walker while 56 percent disapproved. Charles Franklin, who conducted the Marquette poll, said it that the poll found Walker's lowest approval numbers since 2012.

St. Norbert College, Wisconsin Public Radio and Wisconsin Public Television surveyed 600 Wisconsin residents via phone April 8-17 with a margin of error plus or minus 4 percentage points.
Yet another GOP presidential hopeful who would not win his home state

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
And Kasich's approval ratings in Ohio are still super-high. 61% in the last Quinnipiac poll.

Yet Walker's the legit contender and Kasich isn't. Derp.

Of course. Legitimacy this early isn't about approval ratings, but about monetary backers.

Also Kasich learned his lesson after Ohio voters repealed his anti-union stuff and started focusing more on just governing, Walker is an ideological asshole

HylianTom

Banned
This could be quite fun.

At New York Reception, Ted Cruz Is Said to Strike Different Tone Toward Gays
Senator Ted Cruz, the Republican presidential candidate, has positioned himself as a strong opponent to same-sex marriage, urging pastors nationwide to preach in support of marriage as an institution between a man and a woman, which he said was “ordained by God.”

But on Wednesday night, at a reception for him at the Manhattan apartment of two prominent gay hoteliers, the Texas senator struck quite a different tone.

During the gathering, according to two attendees, Mr. Cruz said he would have no problem if one of his daughters was gay. He did not mention his opposition to same-sex marriage, saying only that marriage is an issue that should be left to the states.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/u...aid-to-strike-different-tone-toward-gays.html

The portion of the base that finds this important is shrinking, and his statements aren't very substantive policy-wise.. but they're still going to be loud if one of their favorites starts to appear like he's at all going soft.

This could be quite fun.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/u...aid-to-strike-different-tone-toward-gays.html

The portion of the base that finds this important is shrinking, and his statements aren't very substantive policy-wise.. but they're still going to be loud if one of their favorites starts to appear like he's at all going soft.
Isn't Cruz supposed to introduce a bill to the Senate that would prevent SCOTUS from hearing marriage cases?

As if SCOTUS wouldn't find that unconstitutional anyway

Mike M

Nick N
Isn't Cruz supposed to introduce a bill to the Senate that would prevent SCOTUS from hearing marriage cases?

As if SCOTUS wouldn't find that unconstitutional anyway
I thought that was King in the House.

And forget a SCOTUS ruling, they'd never make it past the veto.

I thought that was King in the House.

And forget a SCOTUS ruling, they'd never make it past the veto.
Cruz said he wanted to introduce King's bill.

Cochran owes his political hide to black voters so it's nice he didn't vote like a complete douchenozzle for once.

If I remember right he's actually got a pretty decent voting record. I think he voted for McCain fiengold too and a bunch of other nominations

Cochran's a socially conservative porker who jumped to the GOP once the Solid South broke. Whoever replaces him will be a much worse Senator, not that Cochran is all that great.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/04/23/fox-news-poll-rubio-jumps-to-head-2016-gop-pack-clinton-honesty-questioned/

POLLS!

Announcing your candidacy helps your poll numbers. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio receives a five percentage-point bump after his April 13 announcement and has the backing of 13 percent in the race for the Republican nomination -- just a touch over Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker who gets 12 percent among self-identified GOP primary voters. Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul comes in at 10 percent, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee earn 9 percent each and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz gets 8 percent.

What happened to Jeb? And looks like Rubio's roll out was a huge success.

pigeon

Banned
What happened to Jeb? And looks like Rubio's roll out was a huge success.

It's actually not yet clear what happened to Jeb, but it's clear he's in trouble. Jeb's candidacy relied on "inevitability" -- which is to say, it assumed he'd be able to lock down enough party insiders early enough that he could start as the default candidate and snowball from there.

As far as I know, there aren't any leaks yet on why that didn't work, but for whatever reason, it's obvious he wasn't able to do that. And, unfortunately for him, it works both ways -- if Jeb can't actually command party insiders and raise more money, have a better organization, etc., then what good is he? He's not exactly a standout conservative, and he comes with a big handicap in the form of his last name.

Ecotic

Maybe Bush wouldn't be their strongest candidate after all, those crosstabs were pretty ugly. Voters don't like him, he's seen as a leader of the past, and such. I could really only see Rubio doing better in the general though.

Grexeno

Jeb's problem is that the more conservative alternatives to him are a LOT more viable than the conservative alternatives to Romney.

Jooney

Jeb's problem is he's a Bush.

His unfavorables are off the chart, even among the GOP, at the start. just terrible.

His stances on immigration and common core aren't helping either. The needle one has to thread to get through the primaries is ridiculous. Not really living up to the ideal of the 'big tent' party when there's so little diversity of thought on the big issues.

You know, it occurs to me that Rubio might get carried to the nomination by Republicans looking for "their Obama." There's a lot of superficial similarities, in a through-the-looking-glass sort of way.

NeoXChaos

It's actually not yet clear what happened to Jeb, but it's clear he's in trouble. Jeb's candidacy relied on "inevitability" -- which is to say, it assumed he'd be able to lock down enough party insiders early enough that he could start as the default candidate and snowball from there.

As far as I know, there aren't any leaks yet on why that didn't work, but for whatever reason, it's obvious he wasn't able to do that. And, unfortunately for him, it works both ways -- if Jeb can't actually command party insiders and raise more money, have a better organization, etc., then what good is he? He's not exactly a standout conservative, and he comes with a big handicap in the form of his last name.

idk what's happening to Jeb but I still think he will be the nominee barring a campaign implosion on his part.

Jeb's problem is that the more conservative alternatives to him are a LOT more viable than the conservative alternatives to Romney.
They're also more electable. Primaries are a tug of war between purity and electability, and if Romney wasn't ideologically pure enough for Republican primary voters at least he could point to polls showing he'd fare best against Obama; Jeb can't even do that. Nearly every poll is showing Rubio, Paul and even Walker are faring better against Hillary nationally and in key states. And Republicans increasingly think they've lost the last two elections because they chose too moderate a candidate. Add to that Bush's ability to single-handedly take all of Hillary's negatives off the table (Third term Obama? Third term Bush; Figure of the past? Bush III v. 1st Woman President; Out of Touch? Even more so) it's hard to see how he can claim he's the strongest in a general election.

Still, the establishment choice always wins in the end.

NeoXChaos

They're also more electable. Primaries are a tug of war between purity and electability, and if Romney wasn't ideologically pure enough for Republican primary voters at least he could point to polls showing he'd fare best against Obama; Jeb can't even do that. Nearly every poll is showing Rubio, Paul and even Walker are faring better against Hillary nationally and in key states. And Republicans increasingly think they've lost the last two elections because they chose too moderate a candidate. Add to that Bush's ability to single-handedly take all of Hillary's negatives off the table (Third term Obama? Third term Bush; Figure of the past? Bush III v. 1st Woman President; Out of Touch? Even more so) it's hard to see how he can claim he's the strongest in a general election.

Still, the establishment choice always wins in the end.

Walker will be weaker than Jeb in a general. He is a walking time bomb waiting to say or do something stupid. Jeb wont make those gaffes but other than that I agree.

The front runner has 13%

This primary is going to be nuts

If there were betting lines for the primary I'd put money on Huckabee. Seems to be flying under the radar and has strong support from religious voters who always turn out. I think Cruz is the only candidate who really makes in roads on that group.

HylianTom

Banned
My suspicion is that Jeb's team knows it's early, and that his main job right now is to not screw up. If Walker, Rubio, Cruz, etc want to stick their necks out with various statements on different topics and controversies each week, they can screw themselves over. By the time the campaign reaches crunch time, he'd still be in decent shape to compete all the way through.

Jackson50

Bush has been out of office for eight years. He skipped the presidential elections in 2008 and 2012. And unlike previous candidates who consolidated establishment support early in the nomination process, he has not made the effort to establish a national network of support. His familial connections can only carry him so far. Moreover, I don't think he has a general electoral advantage. And I suspect most party insiders would accept Rubio or Walker as the nominee. So there is no reason for party insiders to flock to him this early. Cohen et al. have the best take on the invisible primary. According to their analysis, party insiders occasionally struggle to form a consensus. So when the party struggles to coalesce around a candidate, they wait for someone to differentiate themselves. I suspect most Republican insiders will wait to see how the electorate responds to the candidates before making a decision. If I were a Republican, I'd wait.

NeoXChaos

Forget Jindal becoming President because that isnt happening but how screwed are we if Jindal becomes Health and Human Services Secretary under a Hypothetical Republican Administration?

You know, it occurs to me that Rubio might get carried to the nomination by Republicans looking for "their Obama." There's a lot of superficial similarities, in a through-the-looking-glass sort of way.

I think the immigration stuff is going to continue to be an albatross for Rubio and will ultimately prevent him from getting the presidential nomination.

If the immigration issue were fading into the background, perhaps they'd forget about it, but the issue isn't going away, so Rubio's "betrayal" probably won't be forgotten or forgiven any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom