• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Quotes of E3 2009

pakkit

Banned
The quotes from Sony's conference where the demoer said that he had created motion control with the original EyeToy. My Dreamcast weeps.

jeremy1456 said:
Why does it offend you so? He basically just said that he wants to make better games that don't require gimmicks to make people keep returning to them. How is that bad?

It's not. I fully endorse that type of game design. It's just very ironic considering how archaic many Nintendo handle unlocks. Wii Fit makes you play for, correct me if I'm wrong, 3 hours before you get boxing (or it might have been snowboarding). Why?

pakkit said:
The quotes from Sony's conference where the demoer said that he had created motion control with the original EyeToy. My Dreamcast weeps.

Somewhere out there, a Power Glove holding a Samba de Amigo controller sitting on a U-Force sitting inside the Sega Activator shed a single tear.

Struct09

Miyamoto makes my favorite games, and I would never question his choices in game design, but I'm still a fan of achievements. They don't have to be a carrot on a stick, if they're designed well they can be a part of the fun.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just quoting this so it doesn't get buried in the thread:

stuburns said:
In a podcast the other day he didn't understand what had happened with having to watch the conference on a monitor.

A Budding Game Designer said:
Problem #1: Cammy and Reggie and Bill, projected onstage for the loss. Seriously. WTF. None of the folks I was with could figure why Nintendo's executive team was being projected on stage. At first we thought it might be because it would make the eventual, live, on-stage appearance of Miyamoto or Iwaya seem electric by comparison. Or maybe they would use the rehearsed, possibly canned studio performance to add special effects or surprise us in some multimedia way. None of these things happened. Miyamoto was a no-show, and while Iwata did show up to make his usual stilted English delivery, it was onscreen as well. This conveyed a serious, serious disconnect with the audience who might as well have watched this at home, at their leisure, instead of getting up for a 7:15am call time. Only when the entire conference was over did real humans appear on stage to alert people to the playable kiosks. Too bad the majority of the crowd was pouring out at conference's end to head off to Sony's show.

Chumly

morningbus said:
Just quoting this so it doesn't get buried in the thread:
WTF did he seriously not realize they were live in another theater and that he was not important enough to get to go there?

Justin

From one of the bombcasts talking about the mass effect trailer

Vinnie: They make Sheppard look really dark in this game
Jeff: Oh you gotta do some dirty business in this game because it is a dirty ass mission. You gotta do dirt son. SPACE DIRT!
Ryan: The worst kind of dirt
Jeff: There aint no gravity to stop that dirt from getting all up in everything.

and

Jeff said:
"shit's getting ripped apart and you just gotta rip it apart HARDER"

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Sol.. said:
and my vote is still *clap**clap**clap*YEAH*clap*clap*
yanhero said:
Wait, I missed this part, when was this??
Seriously, I'm drawing a blank. Anybody?

I liked the part where the two researchers were demoing Motion Control at the Sony Conference, and one of the guys went...

"Tickle tickle!!!" :lol :lol

I genuinely laughed. I'd hang out with them... they seemed like good people.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
e3quote4.png

e3quote4.png

e3quote4.png

e3quote4.png

e3quote4.png

e3quote4.png

wowowowowow

godhandiscen said:
I had never been interested in this film until now. I actually like the concept. I want to see it. I am saddened that the game adaptation will be just another movie tie in from what I heard though.

Actually you're wrong. From what they "announced" at E3, Noobisoft is actually helping them create over 100 scenes for the movie.

Oh and the quote that made everyone say "OH SNAP" was the one during Natal's presentation taking a stab at Wiimote for having "pre-defined moves".

Catalix said:
Well Kaz Hirai did a bit of it, e.g. when he mentioned MGS and was about to switch gears to Hideo Kojima.

iamcool388 said:
I liked the part where the two researchers were demoing Motion Control at the Sony Conference, and one of the guys went...

"Tickle tickle!!!" :lol :lol

I genuinely laughed. I'd hang out with them... they seemed like good people.
The PSEye guys always seem pretty awesome. Just wish Rick Marx would let go of the IF YOU WERE IN AN RPG AND CHOSE FIREBALL AND YOU COULD THROW IT analogy, it's been about 6 years or so since the tech demo in that PS2 demo disc and we really don't wanna hear anymore fireball shenanigans.

Rez said:
wowowowowow[/QUOTE]
Yeah...

legend166

Mielke said:
Problem #1: Cammy and Reggie and Bill, projected onstage for the loss. Seriously. WTF. None of the folks I was with could figure why Nintendo's executive team was being projected on stage. At first we thought it might be because it would make the eventual, live, on-stage appearance of Miyamoto or Iwaya seem electric by comparison. Or maybe they would use the rehearsed, possibly canned studio performance to add special effects or surprise us in some multimedia way. None of these things happened. Miyamoto was a no-show, and while Iwata did show up to make his usual stilted English delivery, it was onscreen as well. This conveyed a serious, serious disconnect with the audience who might as well have watched this at home, at their leisure, instead of getting up for a 7:15am call time. Only when the entire conference was over did real humans appear on stage to alert people to the playable kiosks. Too bad the majority of the crowd was pouring out at conference's end to head off to Sony's show.

That's the best thing I've ever read on the internet. It works on so many levels.

AniHawk

Struct09 said:
Miyamoto makes my favorite games, and I would never question his choices in game design, but I'm still a fan of achievements. They don't have to be a carrot on a stick, if they're designed well they can be a part of the fun.

The problem isn't that they exist, it's that so many people go crazy over them. There's absolutely no point in getting them. Or, at least, there's absolutely no point in playing games you know will be bad just to get more achievements to increase your gamerscore. You can't buy things with achievement points, so what's the big fucking deal?

bigswords

JSnake said:
Of his position? Sure. Anyone in my position would be. But that's something to work towards, not something to daydream about while sitting on my laurels. Am I jealous of his personality and attitude towards his profession? (laughs)

That's the difference between you and him. He can afford to be an ass and get away with it. You can't.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Gary Whitta said:
Wow, that was some week, huh!
keyboardemojiver220_896e36e.png
I wonder how you feel about that comment now, a few days later. I'm kind of surprised about the amount of enthusiasm coming from someone I don't remember being overly into Wii and Eyetoy kind of games.

JoJo13

Banned
I thought Major Nelson's quote before E3 was pretty funny.

"You're going to look back on your life and remember that you were there when IT was revealed"

Not an exact quote, but pretty funny hyperbole.

Lord Error said:
I wonder how you feel about that comment now, a few days later. I'm kind of surprised about the amount of enthusiasm coming from someone I don't remember being overly into Wii and Eyetoy kind of games.
I've always been a big believer in the Wii and motion control. I'm sure I could dig up some old podcasts and quotes to support that if I could be bothered, but I can't. But I camped out overnight for a Wii at launch and have both the PS Eye and the original EyeToy. I love that experimental stuff, even if the full potential of its application isn't immediately apparent. And I think Natal is (potentially) fantastic.

As for that quote... ha, I guess I wrote gaming magazine coverlines for too many years; the habit of making fairly exaggerated statements in order to get a reaction/grab people's attention is a hard one to break. I still think when all is said and done at the end of this generation the 360 will be deemed my most non-biased pundits to have "won".

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Gary Whitta said:
I've always been a big believer in the Wii and motion control. I'm sure I could dig up some old podcasts and quotes to support that if I could be bothered, but I can't. But I camped out overnight for a Wii at launch and have both the PS Eye and the original EyeToy. I love that experimental stuff, even if the full potential of its application isn't immediately apparent. And I think Natal is (potentially) fantastic.

As for that quote... ha, I guess I wrote gaming magazine coverlines for too many years; the habit of making fairly exaggerated statements in order to get a reaction/grab people's attention is a hard one to break. I still think when all is said and done at the end of this generation the 360 will be deemed my most non-biased pundits to have "won".
Well hey, we all get excited every now and then. I can understand it. :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Gary Whitta said:
No need to dig anything up - I believe you, and sorry for that comment. I just must have mixed you up with someone else, and I think I know who actually.

What about that Peter Molyneux quote: "I want you to take a moment and think about what that means."

Or was that just a meme that popped up from a quote he said earlier?

pakkit

Banned
FartOfWar said:
hahaha, that's not an actual quote is it?
It was a joke post meltdown on GAF following FFXIII to Xbox.

The difference being that was a post written for lulz, whereas Milky wrote up that paragraph, and then went on pretending he was unbiased.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
DeaconKnowledge said:
So we're just now finding out that Miellke is an idiot?

Was it last years E3 where he was at a press conference and said he wouldn't ask questions because he didn't want other journalists to benifit from his insight. I think that is when we figured out he was an idiot.

pakkit said:
It was a joke post meltdown on GAF following FFXIII to Xbox.

The difference being that was a post written for lulz, whereas Milky wrote up that paragraph, and then went on pretending he was unbiased.
Were Muppet's posts in that thread proven to be a joke? I always just assumed he'd lost it for a bit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
reggieandTFE said:
Mielke is such an idiot. In my mind the day he became editor of EGM was the day it died.

He was editor of EGM? So, so much has become clear to me now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Catalix said:

The main Microsoft guy during their press conference did this about 40 times.

A Budding Young Game Designer said:
John, Paul, George and Ringo (and Elvis!) did more in one song that many of you will do in a lifetime

Sweet Zombie Jesus, the ego on this guy. Personally I don't think the "How awesome/So awesome" meme quite lives up to All You Need is Love, but I guess that's subjective.

pakkit

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Were Muppet's posts in that thread proven to be a joke? I always just assumed he'd lost it for a bit.
If you just read some of his post history it's obvious he was joking.

Mielke is such a raging fanboy its horrific. His interviews with Itagaki and Nomura always have this uncomfortable squirmy feeling to them. I mean calling yourself a "budding young game designer" when he hasn't designed shit...god damn. What a tool.

He must be so massively jealous of the other 1up crew now in the industry that its unbelievable.

Struct09

AniHawk said:
The problem isn't that they exist, it's that so many people go crazy over them. There's absolutely no point in getting them. Or, at least, there's absolutely no point in playing games you know will be bad just to get more achievements to increase your gamerscore. You can't buy things with achievement points, so what's the big fucking deal?

Why is people going crazy over them a problem? While I'm not too concerned with my gamerscore, if people enjoy getting achievements, even from subpar games, good for them. And as I stated before, if they're designed well they can shape the way you play and enjoy the game, an example being the Geometry Wars games.

Saying that achievement points are pointless is odd, since using the same line of thinking you could say that playing games is completely pointless as well. You don't get shit for playing games (aside from very few exceptions like 1vs100), so why do it?

ravien56

Saiyar said:
Was it last years E3 where he was at a press conference and said he wouldn't ask questions because he didn't want other journalists to benifit from his insight. I think that is when we figured out he was an idiot.
smh

Opiate

Struct09 said:
Why is people going crazy over them a problem? While I'm not too concerned with my gamerscore, if people enjoy getting achievements, even from subpar games, good for them. And as I stated before, if they're designed well they can shape the way you play and enjoy the game, an example being the Geometry Wars games.

Saying that achievement points are pointless is odd, since using the same line of thinking you could say that playing games is completely pointless as well. You don't get shit for playing games (aside from very few exceptions like 1vs100), so why do it?

I think the actual argument would be this: there is a chemical distinction in the brain between "fun" and "addictive" behaviors. While it's entirely likely that many would mistake one for the other, because both create feelings of reward through endorphins, I believe we'd describe the former as healthy and the latter as unhealthy.

One might argue that the behavior described above (collecting achievements from games you don't enjoy) fits the latter description better than the former. Can I prove this? Absolutely not. It's purely a conjecture, and I certainly could be wrong. But if you're looking for a possible explanation, there it is.

pakkit

Banned
Opiate said:
I think the actual argument would be this: there is a chemical distinction in the brain between "fun" and "addictive" behaviors. While it's entirely likely that many would mistake one for the other, because both create feelings of reward through endorphins, I believe we'd describe the former as healthy and the latter as unhealthy.

One might argue that the behavior described above (collecting achievements from games you don't enjoy) fits the latter description better than the former. Can I prove this? Absolutely not. It's purely a conjecture, and I certainly could be wrong. But if you're looking for a possible explanation, there it is.
Brilliant post.

pakkit said:
If you just read some of his post history it's obvious he was joking.
I read through some of his history, but not enough to get a good sense of whether he was joking or not. Good to know.

Zeliard said:
e3quote10.png

This should be framed and hung up on this gaming generation's metaphorical wall.

This is basically the really old pedagogical question about extrinsic vs intrinsic motivation. I don't know if it's a good thing or not (I personally don't like it), but surely it's much harder to design a game without it so it might also be a matter of "pride" :) Imo it's much better and safer to rely on the intrinsic properties of gameplay. You can mix extrinsic motivation into gameplay much more subtly too (like with MMOs or loot games hehe).

Opiate said:

I'm almost sure you're right. This question is really old and the arguments are still going on. It's basically the same question as whether it's a good practice to pay children for good grades or not etc, loads of debates about this.

KTallguy

Banned
Great quote from Miyamoto. I agree with him to some extent. Having unlockable rewards that allow the player to experience the game in new ways is always preferable over achievements/trophies in my book.

KTallguy said:
Great quote from Miyamoto. I agree with him to some extent. Having unlockable rewards that allow the player to experience the game in new ways is always preferable over achievements/trophies in my book.

Unlockables can be different, they can also be used to give direction to the game and lead the player so that he tries every different feature for a bit (like in Rhythm Heaven or in fact the Wii... games). They can also serve the same function as achievements.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Justin said:
From one of the bombcasts talking about the mass effect trailer

"Vinnie: They make Sheppard look really dark in this game
Jeff: Oh you gotta do some dirty business in this game because it is a dirty ass mission. You gotta do dirt son. SPACE DIRT!
Ryan: The worst kind of dirt
Jeff: There aint no gravity to stop that dirt from getting all up in everything."
Had me in stitches on the bus. I'm certain the cluster of old ladies seated opposite me considered me a raging loon.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Saiyar said:
I have got to find this quote. :lol :lol

Top Bottom