• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves |OT| Fatebringer 24/7/365

hiphopcr

It's all pretty great.

First, I was surprised at how much territory is still being reused. The first three missions are entirely in old spaces

2296c2d7e972dd4ec6f49a8dd696be22d90d3b3f5eb2ebc529207fe75020712e.jpg

patchday

Great to see you guys are enjoying the DLC. This dlc seems so much better received than TDB. and believe it or not I actually felt it was worth the money cause the raid was enjoyable. Granted, didn't know the pvp maps would become free. But that's a good thing. Hopefully skyshock is not in the regular Crucible Clash playlist. Skyshock is my least favorite map. And lack of map voting meant I had no control over when it appeared

I agree that, ultimately, it's better but there's a childish part of me that's still a little salty about having paid for them. I'm sure I'll get over it.

I admit the actual value of the item could be better stated from the beginning.

Instead of saying

House of Wolves
  • 3 New PvP Maps

It could say

House of Wolves
  • Early Access to 3 New PvP maps (Available for free with next DLC)

But no marketing team will ever agree to that.

This is a Bungie philosophy, not an Activision one. Bungie always wanted the most second most recent map pack to be free. That's why Heroic went free after Legendary came out for Halo 3. This was the plan until Microsoft stepped in and wanted to keep charging for it.

Personally, I love the idea of maps becoming free because it does great things for map variety in the standard playlists. I hate having DLC-only playlists.

I think he's saying it's an Activision philosophy that they're charging for the maps at all.

SkylineRKR

DLC only playlists are the worst. TDB was a joke with the 2 map rotation.

Great to see you guys are enjoying the DLC. This dlc seems so much better received than TDB. and believe it or not I actually felt it was worth the money cause the raid was enjoyable. Granted, didn't know the pvp maps would become free. But that's a good thing. Hopefully skyshock is not in the regular Crucible Clash playlist. Skyshock is my least favorite map

Its not. Been playing clash all nite yesterday.

If I knew maps would become free I wouldn't have bought TDB. Though I love having Black Hammer, LotA, Edict and Fang so yeah...

hydruxo

Jumped on at the daily reset last night to find more Petra bounties to get my queen rank up but they didn't seen to refresh? Will there be no further bounties with Petra once you've completed them?

What's the best way to get my Queens Wrath rank up?

Petra's bounties are on a weekly refresh rather than daily.

Koh

If we didn't have TDB as a measuring stick, would this still qualify as good DLC?

I'm concerned this may be an instance of lowered expectations and don't want to drop 20 on it and find it lacking.

If we didn't have TDB as a measuring stick, would this still qualify as good DLC?

I'm concerned this may be an instance of lowered expectations and don't want to drop 20 on it and find it lacking.

I personally think it has the best strike in the game. Otherwise, meh.

It's the best thing that they've done to Destiny since the game released and a solid chunk of DLC accompanied by some serious quality of life updates free for everyone. It's great stuff, if you're still playing Destiny (or want to get back into it) it's a no brainer.

I personally think it has the best strike in the game. Otherwise, meh.

I'm in love with story missions that all actually build off of something.

The base game for Destiny just has you planet hoping. Going here because you're told to, but the result is something that has no interaction with you in any way.

Then TDB came out and we did Eris missions, except her missions weren't really well strung together anyway. You start off on earth, becoming aware that Crota is planning to invade. Then all of a sudden we're defending Rasputin. Now we've left earth (some invasion, right?) and gone to the moon to find out of Crota is being resurrected.

What did Rasputin have to do with anything? We don't even know what he actually does to know why he needs protected.

Spoilers below regarding the new missions:
Now HoW has come out and the missions all actually flow together. Some jerk has broken out of the Prison of Elders and is trying to unit an entire enemy race against us. So we stop him from forming an allegiance with Winter, then Devils, then Kings. Finally as a desperate act, he invades the Vault of Glass in an effort to get the technological edge and he succeeds. He starts using Vex technology to pull Fallen forces through time. This is the most race on race interaction we've ever seen. The final chase scene was a great climax that wrapped up everything from the first DLC2 mission.

I just WISH the vanilla Destiny missions had this kind of synergy. I still don't know what that Array station did. I still don't know what those Wizards were doing with the shard of the Traveler. I still don't know ANYTHING about the Cabal. I still don't even know what the hell the Heart in the Black Garden did/was doing.

The End

Agreeing with Kor here.

I think Bungie has finally, finally gotten the hang of chaining together all of the various activities in Destiny into something compelling.

Agreeing with Kor here.

I think Bungie has finally, finally gotten the hang of chaining together all of the various activities in Destiny into something compelling.

I think an active world was hard for them. A lot of their story-telling in the past involves destruction and explosions, but you can't do that in a game like this. Destruction or grand explosions involve creating areas that are only accessable once, and then fenced off and/or drastically changed after the mission.

You can't do that in a game where you can patrol the entire area and just explore. So now Bungie fell back to their other types of missions, the hold out style mission.

Almost everyone who played Halo:CE remembers the Hold Out during "The Truth and Reconciliation". Fighting off wave after wave of enemies trying to gain access to that grav lift. That was fun, and amazing, and hey, it didn't involve destroying the areas you came from. So Bungie went and took that style of mission, and doubled down, hoping that it would be fun over and over again in Destiny. Obviously this back fired.

So now Bungie is left trying to come up with new types of missions and goals, and HoW was a great step towards that good mission variety. I only hope that we start seeing this much character in future missions.

Z3M0G

Bahahahahahaha!

Never did a raid. Only ever purchased one exotic from Xur

Just opened PoE large chest for the first time with my one key and got GJALLARHORN

This thing is good right? :p

BondFancy

Bahahahahahaha!

Just opened PoE large chest for the first time with my one key and got GJALLARHORN

Good is an understatement, OP is the proper adjective.

I am not sure how to feel about this story mode, The first missions were like ok, lets give them a chance because the plot is moving around looking for the past fallen houses you already destroyed which is kinda interesting but the missions were a killer for me,

The first mission, I noticed I was backtracking the Winters Run, slighty modified by Bungie with ramps and Fallen instead of Vex, to end in the winters run cave.

The second mission is just a gather material from Vandel patrol mission ....???? I want to belive is for testing the new gun.

The third mission is again, another backtracking from the Cosmodrome to the starter zone when you create your character, barely two rooms here,corridors with enemies, Petra started to talk about Skolas and the Nine. Who are those guys ? It was never explained in the game but she stops talking about instead of explaning who the hell are the nine anyway before I reached the starting zone with ships dropping blue fallen with no real difficulty at all, negating Skolas the House of Devils (what?).

Ok the fourth mission is one of the most disapointing mission of this DLC for me, you just finally enter the House of Kings area, starting from that impossible zone some already visited since the alpha, backtracking from the Groto to the rocket yard entrance then finally enter the King's Watch. The groto have some modifitcations with blue fallen ornaments and just that.

I admit I was really excited to finally explore this room without doing any glitch to see it. nothing was really modified its barely three small rooms with one corridor, there is no real threat here, just rocket launcher the three important NPCs and boom, you are done here. just that. no new assets at all, maybe the holo globe with the traveler I dont remember and I think you destroyed most of the House of Kings in the process.

The next mission is just....I have no words, Bungie makes you revisit the Vault of Glass, for the players who never raided it would feel amazing to enter this area, dark and cold. For me it was just excitement to probably explore that forest/jungle hidden area below the first chest but no, its basically go kill the oracles with big highmarks ins case you dont understand the guy instructions, then kill the remaiming enemies like the first mission. just wow Bunge.

This mission basically have no knowlegde about the guardians already opened the gate and disabled most of the stuff there, I guess the Cabal are pretty dumb creatures who can even open a portal.

The last mission is about visiting Terminus, I think the only mission that sends you directly to the new area outside the fetch mission without any backtracking, it feels pretty cool to see the wolves obliterating the vex and you can see lots, LOTS of vex corpses in the elevator area, I think that little detail was awesome, seeing the House Wolves strength finally for me.

I jiggled when Petra tells you about climbing that area since I had to climb to reach and explore that area with a friend before the DLC.
The area remains the same with the same assets before the DLC, Bungie just added the teleporting block from the VoG but with Vex skin and some flags in the vex portal, the mission is pretty short lived since you fight in a small platform and you can ignore the mobs and stun Skolas, that all you saved the day.

Sorry for my bad english, I just wanted to share my experience of this DLC but if I didnt bought the Season pass no way I would buy this DLC at full price and its kinda troublesome to play with my friends since we are 5 and most of the activities are for 3 people. I dont really have hopes Bungie delivering real NEW content at all so I will probably skip the incoming DLC if there is any.

Rymuth

Finally finished Story mode. Great piece of DLC, the story missions are great and the Strike was pretty intense. I've reached Level 32 for now and I have to figure out how to get to levels 33 and upwards.

Gonna dip my toes into PoE tomorrow-y.

Sorry for my bad english, I just wanted to share my experience of this DLC but if I didnt bought the Season pass no way I would buy this DLC at full price and its kinda troublesome to play with my friends since we are 5 and most of the activities are for 3 people. I dont really have hopes Bungie delivering real NEW content at all so I will probably skip the incoming DLC if there is any.

But the content is new. Even if the story missions are previous places in reverse with different enemies they aren't meant to be what keeps you coming back for more. We have to accept that the story missions are never going to be as good as a single narrative like the Halo games were and are more of the MMO variety. At least until they a new massive standalone that could help with the narrative.

There are new activities to do such as Prison of Elders and Trials of Osiris on top of everything else already in the game that is now relevant due to etheric light allowing old gear to be the new max along with new multiple gear sets from end game content. Story will never be the focus of these games and if your main complaints are about story missions and what you judge a lot of your purchase price on then this is probably the wrong game for you.

cakely

Finally finished Story mode. Great piece of DLC, the story missions are great and the Strike was pretty intense. I've reached Level 32 for now and I have to figure out how to get to levels 33 and upwards.

Gonna dip my toes into PoE tomorrow-y.

A simple route to 33 ... complete PoE at level 32 for an armor core, and trade it for the House of Judgement arms at the vendor. Then use an exotic shard to ascend whatever exotic you're wearing, and you'll be there.

A lot of stuff

It sounds like you were too distracted with where you were to enjoy what you were doing.

It's about the Journey, not the Destination.

You spoiled these locations for yourself some time ago, and seem to be holding it against Bungie that you glitched their game and saw content you weren't supposed to see yet.

You said a lot, so I'm only going to address a small part to get my point accross:
The first mission, I noticed I was backtracking the Winters Run, slighty modified by Bungie with ramps and Fallen instead of Vex, to end in the winters run cave.

This is how you saw the first mission. I started in a somewhat familiar area, but in a way I had never approached it before. The first thing I see, and am told to utilize is a brand new vehicle. And right around the corner is an enemy vehicle. Finally, some good vehicle on vehicle combat in Destiny (the Cabal strike with the tank is terrible). After that encounter you come out to the Ketch and actually see Skolas giving a speech to his species. You can sit and watch this for a while before anyone actually notices you. It's one of the few times we actually see the alien species act amongst their own and not just shooting at us.

Variks over the comms gives us a glimpse into their heritage, translating some things for us, and then the chase begins. And ends with him getting away.

You're only comment was about the geometry, but what did you think about the actual characters talking to you? What did you think of the new vehicle? What did you think of Skolas rallying his troops?

Rymuth

A simple route to 33 ... complete PoE at level 32 for an armor core, and trade it for the House of Judgement arms at the vendor. Then use an exotic shard to ascend whatever exotic you're wearing, and you'll be there.
Much appreciated. :)

Mockerre

We have to accept that the story missions are never going to be as good as a single narrative like the Halo games were and are more of the MMO variety.

You don't have to accept anything. Don't stand up for mediocrity and defend it as 'it won't be better', because it could be, and if people keep voicing their opinions, it will be.

My 2 cents: the expansion is better than DB, but not by much; still too much reused content, still too much content that was cut from the main game. Also, I don't understand why there's no matchmaking for level 32, 34 and 35 PoE. Why? It was supposed to be a way for players who don't have time to organize for raids to experience the endgame...

You don't have to accept anything. Don't stand up for mediocrity and defend it as 'it won't be better', because it could be, and if people keep voicing their opinions, it will be.

My 2 cents: the expansion is better than DB, but not much; still too much reused content, still too much content that was cut from the main game. Also, I don't understand why there's no matchmaking for level 32, 34 and 35 PoE. Why? It was supposed to be a way for players who don't have time to organize for raids...

This is just a side effect of this genre of game. Doesn't matter if it's Bungie or Blizzard or whoever.

See my post above where I talk about this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164599455&postcount=519

I just WISH the vanilla Destiny missions had this kind of synergy. I still don't know what that Array station did. I still don't know what those Wizards were doing with the shard of the Traveler. I still don't know ANYTHING about the Cabal. I still don't even know what the hell the Heart in the Black Garden did/was doing.

Yea the story in destiny tends to be a mess and too much is left to the grimoire cards. As for the questions you posed:

The Array:
The station is supposed to be the last array capable of connecting to outside colonies. I'm guessing opening it originally put you in to contact with someone but never gets explored any further in the actual game as of yet. The Fallen and Hive are trying to stop you because they want to keep humanity cut off the best they can.

The Shard:
In the actual game its because the Hive managed to steal a piece of the Traveler and are slowly draining/corrupting it. There's a couple of theories as to why, the first being that the Traveler is actually the Darkness and the cause of the collapse and that the shard is actually powering the Hive. The second is the Worm theory that the Hive are infected with worms that devour light and therefore are feeding off the shard as a source of power.

Cabal:
The theory with the Cabal is that they are running from something seeing they have lost contact with their homeworld. Seeing they are so focused on Mars and none of the other planets, and their interest in studying the Vex, its possible the Vex conquered/turn the Cabal home world in to a machine and the Cabal are trying to fight them.

Black Garden:
There's a lot of theories that the Black Garden is actually the inside of the traveler, or was supposed to be back when the old story was around. If you look at http://i.imgur.com/INe4p7M.png it looks fairly similar minus the buildings. Seeing as how it has a similar ability to create machines from nothing its possible this is another version of the traveler or a part of the darkness. Seeing they never explain it though its all up to speculation.

Then there's all the stuff you wouldn't know about if you don't read the cards. The 9, Jovians, the battles like Twilight Gap and so on.

I love the world of Destiny, but they did a piss poor job of fleshing it out and making the story fit together.

weevles

Bahahahahahaha!

damn, i'm salivating here. for some reason my buddy is apprehensive about doing PoE. :p

Yea the story in destiny tends to be a mess and too much is left to the grimoire cards. As for the questions you posed:

The Array:
The station is supposed to be the last array capable of connecting to outside colonies. I'm guessing opening it originally put you in to contact with someone but never gets explored any further in the actual game as of yet. The Fallen and Hive are trying to stop you because they want to keep humanity cut off the best they can.

The Shard:
In the actual game its because the Hive managed to steal a piece of the Traveler and are slowly draining/corrupting it. There's a couple of theories as to why, the first being that the Traveler is actually the Darkness and the cause of the collapse and that the shard is actually powering the Hive. The second is the Worm theory that the Hive are infected with worms that devour light and therefore are feeding off the shard as a source of power.

Cabal:
The theory with the Cabal is that they are running from something seeing they have lost contact with their homeworld. Seeing they are so focused on Mars and none of the other planets, and their interest in studying the Vex, its possible the Vex conquered/turn the Cabal home world in to a machine and the Cabal are trying to fight them.

Black Garden:
There's a lot of theories that the Black Garden is actually the inside of the traveler, or was supposed to be back when the old story was around. If you look at http://i.imgur.com/INe4p7M.png it looks fairly similar minus the buildings. Seeing as how it has a similar ability to create machines from nothing its possible this is another version of the traveler or a part of the darkness. Seeing they never explain it though its all up to speculation.

Then there's all the stuff you wouldn't know about if you don't read the cards. The 9, Jovians, the battles like Twilight Gap and so on.

I love the world of Destiny, but they did a piss poor job of fleshing it out and making the story fit together.

I appreciate the background info. I'm actually aware of most of it (just read about the worms a couple days ago), but I still feel a lot of this needs to be shared in game. That, and I noticed of my 4 items, 3 of them you responded to with, "Well the theory is..." :p

My 2 cents: the expansion is better than DB, but not much; still too much reused content, still too much content that was cut from the main game. Also, I don't understand why there's no matchmaking for level 32, 34 and 35 PoE. Why? It was supposed to be a way for players who don't have time to organize for raids...

I meant accepting that the game as it is now everything was already planned out for the launch and these 2 expansions. This iteration of the game won't be what is should have been that is what destiny 2 is for. I think Bungie has heard us and understand what they have to do now for their next major release.

There is matchimaking for the level 28 Prison which is more than enough in my eyes but not everyone feels the same way. Getting 2 other people together is much easier than 5 IMO.

I appreciate the background info. I'm actually aware of most of it (just read about the worms a couple days ago), but I still feel a lot of this needs to be shared in game. That, and I noticed of my 4 items, 3 of them you responded to with, "Well the theory is..." :p

Yea that's the silly big issue, no one actually knows so we are stuck with grim cards that really don't make much sense on their own. Maybe in Destiny 2 we will get a more fleshed out story.

Carbonox

Gone through all the HoW story stuff with my Titan and Warlock. Definitely the best missions in the game, especially story-wise.

Did PoE 28 and 32 with my Warlock. 28 was ridiculously easy but 32 was really challenging, especially the final level. LOT of running around to get enemies bunched together instead of them coming from all angles, hah.

Really enjoying the HoW stuff. Still haven't gone back to the Tower yet since it went live. Wonder what new shit I'll find there too.

Gone through all the HoW story stuff with my Titan and Warlock. Definitely the best missions in the game, especially story-wise.

Did PoE 28 and 32 with my Warlock. 28 was ridiculously easy but 32 was really challenging, especially the final level. LOT of running around to get enemies bunched together instead of them coming from all angles, hah.

Really enjoying the HoW stuff. Still haven't gone back to the Tower yet since it went live. Wonder what new shit I'll find there too.

not much, gunsmith now allows rerolling of weapon perks if the gun allows it and the speaker can trade materials with you now for the types you want.

Obscured

First taste of the new strike was jumping into Nightfall with two friends who already had it in progress. I'm sure some cheese spots will develop over time, but it was a unpleasant, but somewhat funny surprise when trying to be cautious after the other two had died I was transported directly into the line of sight of the fallen walker right as it fired. Had to go through another wipe in the last room before we figured out a working strategy (a titan bubble would have been nice). Combo of previous raid weapons worked well (Found verdict for Shanks overwhelming us and Fang of Ir Yut for keeping distance).

Overall I'm pretty happy with this DLC. It still suffers a bit from 'go backwards through the same area' syndrome and I'd like to see some questlines be a bit more organic (pick up the trail of something through patrols or hints to guide you to other locations), but I knew that kind of thing is unrealistic for the current game, maybe future iterations.

I like the sidearm and I found a new handcannon that I like (and takes away the sadness from having no fatebringer, for now)

Still wish story missions had matchmaking, I'll probably never go through them again after I finish with all three characters.

g23

European pre-madonna
Is the sidearm you get from the first quest the only "sidearm" weapon you can acquire?

weevles

Is the sidearm you get from the first quest the only "sidearm" weapon you can acquire?

That's the only one I'm aware of for now.

Edit: I think there's one called "Dreg's Promise", exotic bounty reward. I haven't gotten that far yet.

I did the first mission which was ok despite being the archon priest backwards then I got sent back to venus to run around killing vandals and I shut it off. Why even include that trash?

Maybe I wasn't in the mood.

Orayn

I did the first mission which was ok despite being the archon priest backwards then I got sent back to venus to run around killing vandals and I shut it off. Why even include that trash?

That step felt kind of unnecessary since the rest are normal missions, but it's short. Just open some chests and you'll be done really fast.

The DLC's story is pretty good for Destiny. I enjoyed it.

Having two-way radio chatter between Petra and Variks was much more interesting and enjoyable than Dinklebot saying "Welp, guess we gotta hack this door/kill this thing" every time.

BokehKing

Banned
I agree that, ultimately, it's better but there's a childish part of me that's still a little salty about having paid for them. I'm sure I'll get over it.
Eh, it's not like they made crota end free

Then again, I can't see why people who have been plsying since September 9th, would NOT buy the dlc

i had a hearty laugh when i saw a quest icon over the patrol node. it's definitely padding the story quests, but i think it was put there to get you acquainted with the vestian dynasty. it's a new weapon class after all and i appreciated a lower intensity activity after wiping 3 times in the mission before.

Toa TAK

Banned
Having two-way radio chatter between Petra and Variks was much more interesting and enjoyable than Dinklebot saying "Welp, guess we gotta hack this door/kill this thing" every time.

No doubt. The characters in this DLC were far more interesting and lively. Even the villain, Skolas was whipping up some crazy shit with his Fallen and his god-complex.

I had a better ride through this DLC's mini story than I did the actual base game's story. Keep in mind, both are still kinda bleh, but HOW's had a momentum. Synergy between the missions that didn't feel like you were jumping around for no good reason.

Feels good, man. Feels good.

5bSkFOD.jpg

Damn those HoJ gloves being 110 Strength though. I had Intellect at 98% and Discipline at 100% with my Iron Banner gloves. Next etheric light I get might go to them... I need to spam all the grenades.

Feels good, man. Feels good.

5bSkFOD.jpg

Damn those HoJ gloves being 110 Strength though. I had Intellect at 98% and Discipline at 100% with my Iron Banner gloves. Next etheric light I get might go to them... I need to spam all the grenades.

I would think it would feel bad to reach max level in 2 days. See you in september I guess?

I would think it would feel bad to reach max level in 2 days. See you in september I guess?

Nah. I'm fast approaching 1500hrs played lol. I'm not going anywhere. Destiny has become one of my favorite games and I've neglected so many other titles... They are collecting dust on my shelf haha.

It wasn't hard to hit max.

1. Ran Prison of Elders on my Warlock and beat it up to 34. Upgraded helm. Bought gloves. Upgraded exotic.

2. Ran Prison of Elders on my Titan and beat it up to 34. Transferred the etheric light to my Warlock. Warlock is now 34.

Next steps...

3. Tackle PoE 35 with my Warlock.

4. Run my Hunter through Prison of Elders and beat it up to 34. Transfer etheric light to my Titan. Repeat step 3, but with my Titan. Etc...

Top Bottom