• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ray Gigant trailer #2

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
HPjlRa5.gif

Fighting the same enemy from multiple angles is a cool concept, and it looks pretty neat. Hopefully it's fun, too.

Yep, I totally agree!

We already knew the visuals looked great. If I cared about that, I probably wouldn't give a shit about DRPGs. Would like a trailer that shows something more interesting from a dungeon crawling perspective.

So this is basically a really good looking Etrian Odyssey? I can get behind that.

Seems like characters have their abilities mapped to face buttons, including healing ones, so perhaps it has a time sensitive component like the first Valkyrie Profile or the Namco crossover games?

They certainly stepped up their game with battle presentation though the dungeons look as bland as ever.

I gave Demon Gaze a try but lost interest after the second dungeon or so. I think pure drpgs just might not be for me.

Athian

Neo Member
Yeah, and even though some people complained about recent releases having low localization quality (Sword Art Online, Tales of Hearts), I don't care as long as I can play the game. Heck make it digital only if you get a better margin that way - as long as it is English, I'm going to buy it.

I'm fine with low quality translations if it means that's the only way the game can come west and the company still make a profit, since otherwise I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. It seems like this has actually started to happen a lot more on vita, as there have been a lot more games based on anime being released in NA now.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Holy shit. Why have no one tried this combat perspective before.
It literally blows my mind

Imageepoch has in the past two titles actually and it didnt end well for those games. Was the fault of the devs though. The gameplay was different of course. Though due to the perspective people have been comparing this to tokitowa which is not exactly a good thing.

The whole fighting the boss at different distance is rather new though. but we still do not have any footage of how that will work out.

Prelude.

I'm fine with low quality translations if it means that's the only way the game can come west and the company still make a profit, since otherwise I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. It seems like this has actually started to happen a lot more on vita, as there have been a lot more games based on anime being released in NA now.
It's just one single game, SAO:HF.
Tales of Hearts R is basically a neogaf meme at this point.

Parakeetman

Dengeki video interview with gameplay footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-p2_5cF4x4

Gameplay starts at 5:11.

good stuff

general information with the more important points talked about during the gameplay segment. Left out what they were talking about before the gameplay footage starts. But basically Bandai Namco went to Exp Inc after having been interested in their work after Demon Gaze was released. After that Bandai Namco worked on initiating talks in regards to doing a project together / scheduling etc.

Interesting there will be no random encounters in the games dungeons.

Able to tell enemy strength by color of icons. Enemy strength also effects the rate at which AP is used higher for stronger and lower for weaker.
  • Blue - AP use halved (weak)
  • Yellow - Normal AP use (normal)
  • Red - AP use doubled (strong)
No exp system either, characters "level up" via resources found in the dungeon or from enemies.

All commands are entered before combat starts, then after entering what commands you want the characters to use you activate the action phase where all actions are performed.

The initial 3 commands are Run / Repeat / Manual (entry of commands) Repeat would show up after you input commands at least once would imagine. Similar to the repeat command system they use with other titles.

Each character type is weak / strong against certain enemy types.

AP is taken from the pool in the upper left corner, so if you go and waste a bunch in one turn you will have less for the next round limiting your actions. Though it does regenerate during combat by doing things like waiting out turns and such. You do not actually have to use all characters in a turn. Can even fully skip using anyone if you want.

Game has the auto movement system, which allows the player to set a point and game will move the player to that location.

Able to see Boss HP during battle.

They are currently unable to say what the SBM gauge in the right corner is. Wonder if it has to do with the Forced Parasite System?
http://gematsu.com/2015/05/ray-gigant-details-nil-chapter

The SBM (Slash Beat Mode) gauge is for the special attack which when activated uses up 50 / 100 SBM gauge points depending if you go full or half with the skill. Upon activating it you enter a rhythm game where the higher the combo you get the stronger the attack becomes. You can partially see this in the third trailer. Also from the Japanese Dengeki site has some screenshots of it.
Slash Beat Mode - Dengeki

The Forced Parasite System basically what that does when activated is, uses the players HP instead of AP (Active Point). Which might be a choice necessary in the event if you do not have enough AP to perform actions and such which can happen, since any AP spent or saved carries over after battle.

Third Trailer

Different ranges apparently also is broken up by characters.
  • Long range = Magic
  • Mid range = Ranged weapons
  • Close range = Melee weapons.
Jinbo Naoki is doing music for the game again it seems. 41 tracks will be on the first print bonus downloadable soundtrack.

Thats about it for the video of what people should actually know from it.

Seeing how different the system is makes me wonder how fans in Japan will react to it.

Parakeetman

Greatly disappointed :(
I knew that enemies animations were not frame based, but they should be a lot better, but what really surprised me negatively was characters' lack of attack animations! What's the point of showing them doing nothing?

Reactions like this is exactly what happens when people go and hype themselves up over graphics first without knowing anything else about the game lol.

Im still not sure what to think in regards to the no exp system and no random encounters. Dont really have anything to say about the battle system in general. Will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

Thanks again for the video Takao good info in it once again. So pretty much now know generally what to expect.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Reactions like this is exactly what happens when people go and hype themselves up over graphics first without knowing anything else about the game lol.

Im still not sure what to think in regards to the no exp system and no random encounters. Dont really have anything to say about the battle system in general.

Sorry but i refuse to think that i'm the only one expecting attack animations from the characters, i don't even believe that you were not expecting them unless you already know about it, but i don't remember this being mentioned anywhere.

And what there was to know about it precisely? It's a standard Experience game with a different boss fight mechanic, visible characters and some new things here and there.

Enemies' animations already didn't convince me in the teaser trailer but i wanted to wait for a judgement, in the trailer they looked better but in this video they look bad, with rotations,scale and translation based animations movments shouldn't be so wide without changing the assets, with less wide movements enemies' animations wold have looked a lot better imo.

maouvin

Thanks for the write up Parakeetman!

What's the benefit on skipping a character for the turn instead of using the wait action to recover AP?

Sorry but i refuse to think that i'm the only one expecting attack animations from the characters, i don't even believe that you were not expecting them unless you already know about it, but i don't remember this being mentioned anywhere.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the camera changing to first person; thought the camera would stay the same, with each character having a generic attack animation (think Disgaea with special animations off).
But no biggie.

Parakeetman

What's the benefit on skipping a character for the turn instead of using the wait action to recover AP?

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the camera changing to first person; thought the camera would stay the same, with each character having a generic attack animation (think Disgaea with special animations off).
But no biggie.

Im not sure exactly, Id have to listen to that part again. I wonder if the game just counts it as the wait action or something?

Yeah, I'm totally down with this game. I'm probably forgetting stuff, but if we at least get this, Land of No Light and Makai Shin Trillion over here I will be reaaally happy and glad that Vita's lasted this long.

CrovaxPSO

While it would have been nice to have full animations for attacks and everything, I'm pretty impressed with what they do have. The party members' animation is really fluid and interesting, and the enemies are pretty detailed in terms of both design and number of animated parts. A nice step up for both the developer and genre for sure.

Parakeetman

What's the benefit on skipping a character for the turn instead of using the wait action to recover AP?.

They didnt go into detail outside of saying it will refill AP. Just listened to it again.

Games look pretty cool but I've never been a fan of DRPGs. That being said, my opinion can always change so I'm always open to recommendations.

A little disappointed there's not more animation going on in battles, but otherwise this looks good. Battle music is surprisingly jazzy.

Parakeetman

Chikami-san mentioned that the version show in that video is an older one, so some effects and such were not included in it.

Prelude.

Ray Gigant’s Battle System Takes A Leaf Out Of Bravely Default’s Book
At 9:15, we get a look at the battle system of Ray Gigant, which has a system that’s a little reminiscent of Bravely Default, with AP (Active Points) for all actions.

ugh, okay siliconera...

Parakeetman

New images over at dengeki showing other parts of the game system including some of the skill tree.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/058/1058758/

In regards to things like end game contents (dungeons / bosses) after clearing the main story Chikami-san said they are still currently unable to give any information about that. Went and asked that ahead of time since know some folks who are familiar with their titles were curious about that. Am sure that will pop out in a dengeki or famitsu later in the near future when Bandai Namco allows for more information to be released.

Top Bottom