• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #31 - "Memory"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's always so frustrating when I'm writing and have to get up to do something, but I keep writing in my head. And while I'm doing my task, I think of what feels like the perfect phrase. And yet, by the time I sit back down, I've forgotten half of it and how I reached that line.

crowphoenix said:
It's always so frustrating when I'm writing and have to get up to do something, but I keep writing in my head. And while I'm doing my task, I think of what feels like the perfect phrase. And yet, by the time I sit back down, I've forgotten half of it and how I reached that line.
For some reason, when writing the piece for this and my first script, when I was on a roll, I kept on getting out of my chair and wrote in my head, then sat back down. It's weird.

One thing I love about this particular challenge is all the newbies coming in and posting pieces! Adds some further writing perspective and fresh takes on the theme :)

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
"Worn Roots"
Word count: 1388
----------------------------

They were here again last night.

Their incessant pounding rattling my window. It was their arguing that had awoke me this time. Their silhouettes danced across my bedroom wall through the thin drapes. Hand gestures flailing about as they debated something of some importance. Oh, they wanted in, but I wasn't about to let that happen again. Someone must of come to a resolution, as they left as suddenly as they had arrived. The dammed jackals, preying on an old man like this. It was they who had taken what was most precious to me; my only valuable. It wasn't the TV, nor the money, but a picture of Mary. What would a couple of thugs want with a picture of my wife? I wish you were here, Mary. I haven't been able to move on since you passed, I just.. exist.

"Well, time for breakfast".

I rose from my sunken mattress and lumbered into the hall. The floor creaked wearily as I walked into the kitchen. The sight of the place was a fragment of itself. The cracked mauve cupboards and pealing teal wallpaper was hard to bear, but yet I felt I should leave things as is. I live alone now in this small house. It wasn't much but it's my home, our home. Couldn't find the frying pan anywhere but noted the already prepared breakfast on the counter.

"Hah, that Rose, what a gal". Rose was young move-in down the road, or at least I thought she was from around here. Always willing to help out, she often comes over to lend me a hand. Our conversations were always interesting and I must admit it was nice having a women around again. Sure knows how to make an omellete, that's for sure.

I sat alone, enjoying Rose's treat while I eyed the willow swaying outside. Stubborn thing is the only plant left in that pitted, dried up yard. Frayed branches and torn leaves circled carelessly in the wind Its trunk was aged and bent toward the earth. What an ugly thing it was, but I saw it for its hidden beauty. A gust of wind barreled in and the willows branches whined and moaned, leaves pushed about. My eyes moved up to the sky, peering at the iridescent blues and grays. The sun glowed softly from afar, while an ominous clump of black floated to the west; lightning flickering within its mass. This storm was going to be an angry one.

*DING, DING, DING* I almost fell out of my chair as the old hickorey clock sounded. Cursed thing would always give me a scare, but never would keep time. I approached the Grandfather clock, it was much taller than I. A large carved eagle guarded the clock's hands at the top. It was the only clock I knew that seemed likely to take one of your fingers for working on it. I adjusted the rusty mechanisms and corrected the time as the eagle peered down at me. "I always hated you" I said, as I stared back.

Smiling, I turned and walked over to the couch and sat down. There was a book nearby that Mary never was able to finish: "The Shape of Things to Come" by H.G. Wells. It rest on the coffee table, waiting to be picked up again. I was never into fantasy, I saw no value of it. Tales of places far off and all these fake events; there was no purpose, just nonsense. My thoughts trailed as I looked out the window to my right, peering at a small patch of grass; the breeze combing over every piece. I felt relaxed and laid back.

- - -

I awoke later that night. The hard clank of raindrops atop my roof rang out as the crisp snap of thunder shook my home. I must of dozed off earlier. I looked over at the hickory clock, its time was all wrong again. The eagle was more menacing now in the dark. I could just make out its sharp beak and talons hidden behind the clockface. It was hard getting up, I shouldn't of slept here. I used the coffee table for support but knocked H.G. Wells' work to the floor. Another loud crackle of thunder boomed. I stood there for a second trying to find the book but was unable. I needed to find a candle anyway.

A loud thump sounded towards the front door. Was that knocking? Again, thump thump. It was. I wasn't about to open that door, not without my light.

I felt my way into the hall, the thumping could still be heard as raindrops clamored overhead. I rounded the corner into my bedroom. The matches and candle lay on a small desk nearby. I grabbed them and struck a match. A quick flash of lightning lit up the silhouettes by the bedroom window. "Ow!" I yelped as I burnt my fingers, dropping the match. They were here again, silently this time. I wasn't about to let myself think of what they wanted to take from me next. I lit the candle and walked into the hall out into the kitchen.

I looked around for something to protect myself with. I noticed all my knives were gone, along with most of my silverware. The plate and fork from earlier was also missing. I got an eerie feeling in my gut as the knocking from the front door stopped. I stood, listening for a moment. Every hair on me rose as I heard the dull crank of my door's lock. I quickly moved into the dining room where I was earlier. I glanced at the eagle as I passed by, and rounded the coffee table by the couch. The fumbling of the doors lock grew louder. I hunched nearby and waited, my mind raced as my heart pounded against my chest. My hands and legs trembled. The tiny candle shook in my grasp, dripping wax at my feet.

My head was spinning as I heard the sound of oiled gears churning from the lock. A loud click sounded as the door unlocked. I stood in horror as the wooden door was pushed open. The thugs stood before me, their black visage lit slightly by a flick of lightning. Who were these people? They motioned towards me as I slowly backed away. I dropped the candle to the floor, its flame extinguished on the carpet. "Stay back!" I shouted as the group of them grew closer. I stepped backwards and felt my feet come out from under me as I slipped on the book.

I fell hard on my back, the thud echoed throughout my bones. I groaned in pain as the thieves surrounded me. The loud rings of the Grandfather clock filled the room. They all stood over me now, their faces unrecognizable. They were.. smiling at me, all of them. Men and women of all ages made up the group.. I could hear the willow outside, cracking in the harsh wind. "What do you want with me!?" I shouted at them. I felt helpless and began to breakdown, stinging tears pouring down my face,

"It's alright" a women said in a familiar voice.

"Rose?" I said hoarsely. A young women bent down beside me, her face strikingly familiar. She handed me the missing picture of my wife, Mary. "I got it framed for you, you know" she said softly. Her green eyes shimmered as she smiled at me. Her red hair curled about her shoulders as she sat next to me on the floor. She was beautiful, like Mary. "Don't you recognize me, Dad? I brought the whole family this time."

Her words sent me reeling, how could I have forgotten my own daughter, my family? What has happened to me? I sat up next to her, looking at all the now, somewhat recognizable faces. The storm had calmed to a light rain. I noted the now uprooted willow outside through the window. "I remember this time, Rose." I wiped the tears from my face. "I'm sorry everyone, things just seem to of changed since I lost...". Rose interrupted, "It's ok now Dad, we're all here for you".

We embraced and for the first time, in a long time, my mind was at peace.

ZephyrFate said:
One thing I love about this particular challenge is all the newbies coming in and posting pieces! Adds some further writing perspective and fresh takes on the theme :)

I don't like being called a "newbie."

*rages*

Good, old fashioned pugilism is just what our threads have been lacking.

Edit: Endings not quite working right. Now, how do I fix that?

Sibylus

Banned
Remembrance and Judgement
(1,228 words)

In the barren highlands of Palirii, a feature which encircled around the world, the shape of an old man walked and remembered. He was tall, of mighty appearance even in his twilight years. He was alone; a mysterious wanderer who lived in the world and no longer had any home. He was named Til-Panar Enasiroth, and he had borne this name for thousands of years.

He had journeyed into previously habituated parts of late, traversing an ancient road. The grass and soil washed across the smooth surfaces of the road-stones. The road submitted to time like the rest of the country. Where once the flocks and the processions of people crowded in the towns and villages and cities, now there was nothing but wind and grass. Enasiroth walked among the shattered bodies of the habitations. His walk was disjointed as he stopped to eye the crumbling homes and farms. He knew them all. He remembered them.

A small hamlet lay off to his right, and at its sight he knew where he was. The memories of this place rose to the surface of his mind, crashing together like the noise of a great storm. He had seen this place in a time of great distress, and it distressed him to recall it. It was the siege of Tagrath, a battle fought and decided over three-thousand years prior. These little estates had tended chickens and goats once. The masters of those houses had regularly carried chickens and goat’s milk four miles to the castle markets on selling day. There were no selling days after the siege began, and there would be none after its end. The strange creatures had come at the beckon of their dark commandant, destroying the outlying farms and villages and leaving none of the exposed alive. Only those who sheltered in the Tagrathine walls lived, but not long. The fell armies encircled the great city and assailed the river crossings and the trade routes in great numbers. The city starved, its sorties against the dark intruders only emboldened their siege. Five weeks after the bitter siege began Tagrath fell, its bastions crumbling into dust under the malice of the catapults arrayed against it.

Enasiroth had seen this all, from a removed distance. The kingdom was destroyed soon after that, and he wandered in the wilderness as the dark forces descended on the last hiding places of men. He had outlived the great purges, but now few walked on the earth anymore. Even the twisted creatures of the war had perished entirely. Their conquests had been abandoned; they perhaps in turn abandoned by their fell lord.

Enasiroth continued down the weathered road. The half-leveled battlements of Tagrath grew larger, and soon he was passing through the front gate into the remnants of one of man’s most cherished cities. The defense of this place had been spirited, Enasiroth knew. After the walls collapses, a great and terrible firestorm rose up in the wooden quarters of the city, raging around the men even as the battle raced to its end. Those unwilling to surrender to the twilight creatures burned their houses and threw themselves upon their swords. The King and his Royal Guards’ final act was the ensnarement of a great Captain of the dark armies, by means of the Keep’s very stones. The Hall of Monoghras ensnared hundreds as it fell to its ultimate end.

Enasiroth paused in the remains of an alley. Broken floor tiles rested in a skin of dust at his feet, the house they belonged to long broken and scattered. He retrieved one and studied it. Letters were set in the tile’s body and were chipped away at the edges of the fine grooves. He read them aloud:

“House of Prothrauxim, son of Protaurthus and Murii”

He set the tile down and looked for its brothers. He read out the rest, determining them all to be the property of one house, perhaps gifted to a young Prothrauxim on the day of his marriage. Enasiroth knew not these people or the ultimate purpose of the polished tiles, but he handled them gently. He set them all together and shaded from the sun under a pile of old rubble.

“Maybe the words can be saved a while longer,” he wondered aloud.

A noise of disturbed stone pricked his ears. His eyes were drawn to its source, but he saw no-one. Enasiroth cared little for that detail and pursued it. The noise spoke thrice within the same swath of ruins; he sped after it in desperation.

“Will you not speak to me? I will not harm you!” he cried out. His voice echoed dimly in the graveyard of rubble. Tagrath was silent, not a whisper escaped to Enasiroth’s ears.

He sat down upon an orphaned piece of stone and rested. The skies opened with a bounty of rain, shrouding the fortress city of Tagrath in a dense mist. Enasiroth pulled his hood over his head and sang songs that none remembered in the earth save for himself. The phantoms of his memory walked and paraded before him. When he tired of singing, he lifted his face to the heavens and harkened to the music of the water, of the delicate dance of rain and wind.

Quiet moments pained Enasiroth the greatest. The sound and movement of the beasts could aptly distract him from the reality of his solitude for a time, but it was of little solace here, in the heart of man’s old kingdoms. He could see a family at every shattered doorway, a traveler at every turn of the road. Enasiroth silently asked them all to forgive him, to pardon his inaction and his malice. The images he conjured offered no sympathy, only disquiet.

He dredged a smooth stone tablet from the soaked earth and scratched into it the words, “Searched everywhere for people who might have lived beyond those dark days, but no, I’m all alone. Alone forever.”

“As it should be.” The voice spoke from the empty air, and Enasiroth saw none other than himself. The grains of earth at his feet reverberated, and then he knew. It was an elementii, a primaeval spirit of the earth.

“Forgive me,” Enasiroth whispered to the air.

“To whom do you entreat forgiveness, Kor-kalem?” the voice asked.

His eyes winced and he shuddered at the use of his old name. “To anyone who will listen. Maybe even He,” Enasiroth said.

“It is too late to beg, Kor-kalem, enjoying the fruits of your conquests?” the spirit said sardonically.

“So you have come to taunt me. I will not fly from it,” Enasiroth said. His face was deeply troubled.

The voice did not speak again and he knew he was alone. His sorrow crushed in on him again, and his eyes dampened with tears. He already missed the scornful voice of the elementii. Enasiroth was truly alone again, nothing would speak to him.

He had been named Kor-kalem once in past ages, “Black Scourge”. This world, this place he had once coveted and spilled the blood of every man to control was now his prison. He would be bound to it forever, never to be forgiven, never to forget the memories of his wars. It was a fitting and final doom for Tal-Panar Enasiroth, “The Penitent Unworlder”; the shape of an old man weeping in the rain.

kozmo7

Isn't the time cut-off at 12pm PST?

I was rushing to correct my grammar/spelling this morning on my way to an appointment in a towel. :lol

Cyan

Banned
Trial (1600)

Heart pounding, knees shaking, Ini gazed wide-eyed at the cave mouth, but saw no sign of spirits. He was afraid, but if this was to be his Trial of Manhood, that was how it must be.

The dying sun sent a feeble light a short way into the cave. It had taken him the better part of the afternoon to make his way back here while evading Father and the other men of the village. Father would be angry, of course. But surely when Ini returned tomorrow in triumph, Father would agree that entering the cave was a suitable Trial. Surely the Elders would see that too.

Or perhaps not. Ini frowned. There were one or two of the Elders who were very particular about respecting the spirits--they might be displeased that he had entered this place without permission. When he had been expressly forbidden. But it was too late to change his mind now.

He hoped the men weren't still looking for him. Perhaps by this time they had decided that he'd gone back to the village. They couldn't have guessed that he would come here, where the spirits of the ancients lived.

Ini shivered. He had asked Father about this cave this morning, as the village men made their way here through trackless forest to give offerings for the spirits. He only wanted to know why the offering was made every ten years, when most other offerings were much more frequent, but Father forbade him even to talk about it. When Ini pressed his luck and asked again, Father would only say, "The spirits there remember the past too strongly." And he refused to explain further.

Ini shook himself--he was dithering. This was the time for bravely moving forward. He signed a ward against malevolent spirits and the Evil Eye, then stiffened his knees, raised his makeshift torch high, and stepped forward into the cave.

The stone floor was cool on his bare feet. He paused where the light died to give his eyes time to adjust.

The floor seemed to slope downward, and as the darkness cleared slightly to his eyes, he could see that the ceiling was low, and peppered with jagged stones stabbing down like fangs. He took a step forward and downward, ducking. There was an opening at the other end of the small cavern, though he'd have to clamber between a few stone teeth pointing upwards.

Ini drew a deep breath. From here on, he must be careful. Careful not to provoke the spirits, of course, but also careful not to get lost, or hurt. Either might end in his death.

Surely none could deny that this was a true Trial of Manhood.

Onward.

Ini pulled himself through a narrow opening, held his torch high, and paused. This new room was different.

The previous caverns had all been the same--fangs on the ceiling and ground, sloping or curved surfaces. But while the stone was the same, the walls, ceiling, and floor of this room were all perfectly flat and straight. Or--not quite. On the wall closest to him was an odd protrusion, shaped something like a tree branch--circular, thick, and straight. But it was completely regular--it got neither thicker nor narrower as it followed the wall, and it remained at exactly the same height. It was neither wood nor stone, but some brownish gray substance that rang hollowly when he tapped it.

Perhaps the ancients had used this not-branch as a guide for their hands to follow, when they did not have torches? But no, the cavern was straight as an arrow. Ini shrugged, and began to walk down the corridor, his hand trailing on the not-branch.

He followed the not-branch down the straight wall for what felt like a long time, one step after another after another. He was just beginning to grow tired when he reached a dead end.

His shoulders sagged, but something about the wall in front of him caught his eye. It was flat and straight like the side walls, but it was not made of stone--it was the same brownish gray color as the not-branch. And portions of the wall were raised, forming an odd kind of pattern.

Was it hollow like the not-branch? Ini put down his torch and reached out to tap on the wall, then leapt back in surprise.

With a hiss like a great snake, the brownish gray surface slid sideways into the wall.

He gaped. Truly, the magic of the ancients was remarkable. He hesitated only a moment before stepping through the new opening.

Ini shook himself--in his haste, he had left his torch behind. As he turned to retrieve it, there was another hiss, and the wall closed behind him again.

He pushed, he pounded, he yelled for the spirits to help him. The wall would not budge. It seemed the magic of the ancients only allowed passage in one direction.

He was trapped in the dark.

Ini awoke still tired, and cold. His back was sore and his knuckles raw. He had spent ages pounding on the wall that barred his way back, before finally giving up and collapsing into sleep.

The dim light from his torch flickered feebly. He blinked. The wall was gone; the passage back clear once more.

Ini didn't hesitate, but was up and out of the room in an eyeblink. He stumbled his way down the long, straight tunnel, and out through the many caverns he had traversed on the way in. He forced his tired muscles to move quickly; he didn't want to spend a moment more in this cave than he had to.

A great deal of climbing, stumbling, and cursing later, Ini emerged into the morning sunlight, and collapsed in a heap of sweat and quivering muscle on the hillside.

He breathed deeply of the morning air, and let the sun's rays soak into him. Soon enough, he would have to make his way back to the village. Father would be worried. But he would be proud when he learned what Ini had done. Or would he? Ini frowned. What had seemed so grand and clever late yesterday, now, in the morning light, seemed childish and foolish. He was fortunate to be alive.

Still. No Trial that any of the Elders might devise could be as bad as the cave. Having faced that, whatever might come would be easy.

Smiling again, Ini stood.

And nearly fell over. On the hillside not a hundred feet below him stood Father and the men of the village, arraying offerings to the spirits. Father was far grayer and more careworn than he had been yesterday. He must have been very worried; Ini felt a twinge of guilt.

Many of the other men and all of the boys were strangers to him. Could the Elders have called for searchers from other villages? Surely not, when he had been missing only a day. In any case, the men did not seem to be searching. They were setting out their offerings just as they had done yesterday, carefully laying each item in its place and mumbling words of reverence for the spirits.

Ini had just begun to make his way down the steep trail when one of the men looked up and spotted him. He shouted something, and they all looked up.

Most of the men turned and ran, dropping their remaining offerings behind them.

But Father--Father went wide-eyed, turned pale, and made a warding sign against vengeful spirits.

Ini stared at him, and he stared back. They stood there for a moment, neither moving. Then Father made the sign again, backed away, and ran after the rest of the men.

Ini sat down on the hillside at the mouth of the cave, shivering.

How long he sat like that he did not know. But some time later, he heard the crunching noise of footsteps behind him, and leapt to his feet. Was it a spirit?

But no. A man emerged from the cave, a bearded man wearing oddly ornamented white robes, with blue leggings beneath. He stopped on seeing Ini, and said something Ini did not understand. Then he put down his torch, and pulled a small black box from within his robes.

He spoke gibberish at the box, and a voice came from within it. "You entered the cave yesterday?"

Ini stood frozen. There must be a small demon in that box. But if that was the case, then this man was a sorceror. Ini forced his gaze to the floor. "I am sorry."

The box spoke to the man, then he spoke again. "You should not have done this," said the demon in the box. "You are displaced."

"I'm what?"

"Displaced. You entered my bunker's distortion field, which displaced you from your own time. I fear your village is not likely to take you back."

Ini did not understand some of the words the sorceror used, but his meaning was clear. "What did you do to me, sorceror?" His hands curled into fists.

"I? You entered a place you knew to be tabu." The sorceror shook his head. "There is no going back."

"No." That could not be. The sorceror was wrong. Ini would go back. He must!

Ini shoved past the sorceror and dashed into the cave, snatching his torch from the ground.

"Wait!" the demon called. "You must not go in! The distortion field is too strong now, anything sentient would--" The voice faded as Ini hurtled down through the caverns.

He slid, leapt, ran, fell several times and kept running.

And then he was back in the corridor, he was back at the magical wall, he had opened it and passed through into--

Endless light.

He bent, twisting in an insubstantial wind.

He reshaped and was the universe.

He shattered.

He was all, and nothing.

Cyan

Banned
Half an hour left, dudes!

crowphoenix said:
Cyan's goes, 'Ding ding ding dingy ding-ding.' Mine goes, 'Ding ding ding ding dingy ding-ding.
Bahaha. At least I get to be Queen, I guess. :p

DumbNameD

Diner (~1200 words)

He scratched behind his left ear. Where his receding hairline ended with brown strands mixed with gray, a crescent patch of skin lived under scabs. He rubbed first with the bottom of his sweaty left palm and then with his knuckles before escalating to fingernails. Under the bask of momentary satisfaction, Alvin checked his nails, but the absence of blood indicated that his dry skin remained intact. His fingernails dug into his palm as a crinkling urge crawled from his nape and cozied into the shade of his lobe, like termites within a house frame.

His stomach grumbled. He pressed his left middle finger against his itch while he eyed the laminated menu stained with coffee drips and maple-syrup dross. While the diner had been built with a retro style in mind, the place had grown into its skin in its teenage years. Though the stalwart counter and stools remained the backbone of the diner, the smell of coffee and bacon became infused in the Formica. Cigarette burns scarred the mahogany booths. The chessboard floor had a permanent tan that not even a good scrubbing could whiten. The ceiling fan creaked along like a jazz crooner.

It seemed like he had eaten every item on the lunch menu at least a dozen times already. He gave his order to the waitress with a mole on her neck. She was a quick one to refill his water. Every few minutes, he checked the round clock on the sidewall, which was two minutes faster than his own watch. In turn, his watch was a minute faster than the LCD time of the bank across the street. The diner should have been more popular because of the bank, but for some reason, it wasn’t.

Alvin ate quickly. He always did. His hamburger was decent though a bit dry. He preferred the pickle wedges and chunks of fries. As he finished, he looked up from his plate and saw her.

She sat in a booth across the diner. She seemed familiar, yet he couldn’t place her. Her brown hair sat long, and curled bangs covered her forehead to her eyebrows. Her face slanted to a rounded chin, and the ends of her lips sank inward. She sat, reading a newspaper, eating a sandwich, and drinking iced tea.

Alvin scratched the back of his ear. As he left, he walked by, trying to see her without looking. Where had he seen her before?

Over the next week, he had seen her at the diner three times. And each time, he snuck glances at her. Something seemed to nudge his brain, as if some memory of this woman was knocking to be let out.

Alvin was a file clerk. He had always thought that was an imaginary job, some parody of bureaucracy to show how unwieldy a corporation could be. And so, as apathetic as he was in his job, he became more so, as this woman he had seen in the diner now occupied his focus. He kept thinking about her, like letting a wine slosh along his tongue before swallowing. She seemed familiar. Maybe she was from the bank. He had to know.

Watching from across the diner, he had gotten bolder with his peeks, but still any casual looks from her toward in his direction frightened whatever courage he could muster. When Alvin finished his lunch, she still had half of her salad left. He sipped his coffee slowly. He ordered a slice of blueberry pie. He asked for refills.

When she had finished eating, collected her things, and paid her bill, she stood, and diner door clanged behind her. He looked out the window. His eyes followed her. She crossed the street, walked past the bank entrance, and followed the sidewalk before disappearing out of his view. Alvin surprised himself as he hopped out of the booth. He bumped a waitress, apologized under his breath, and scuffled out the door. He hurried down the sidewalk and followed her or someone he thought was her for four blocks before she somehow slipped away from him.

The next day, when Alvin arrived to the diner, the woman was already seated. He walked past, his head down toward the dirty black and white tiles. If he knew her, wouldn’t she also know him? Wouldn’t she come to him? The booth cushion exhaled as he sat down. He scratched his ear. He looked at the familiar menu before looking for a waitress. There was one at her booth. They both looked toward him, and a scowl draped across the waitress’ face.

Alvin hung his head. He pressed his right hand against his forehead. He replaced the menu onto the table. He stood. He took long strides and stopped short of the booth. The waitress shirked away as Alvin stood in front of the woman. Both stared at each other. His throat became dry. He felt an itch build behind his ear. He took a deep breath. He walked away and left.

Women always left him tongue-tied. And this time was no different. He had things he had thought he could say. But when he looked into her beautiful yet accusing face, his mind went blank.

Why did she seem so familiar? Had he met her in some past life? Was this some remnant of some life where their paths had crossed? Or perhaps some alien had abducted him, and this whole resemblance had been implanted as some kind of dreadful experiment. They sliced right behind his left ear and jammed some false memory. Or maybe this was just God taunting and poking him.

Alvin avoided the diner for a couple of weeks. During the third week, he watched from across the street. But he didn’t see her go there. Maybe it was safe.

The next Wednesday, he worked himself up to go back. It was safe. He scouted the place long enough. She wouldn’t be there. He had scratched the implant out. God was done.

With a man, the woman sat there in diner when Alvin walked in. Alvin almost stumbled on the threshold. He didn’t look up as he walked by, but he could hear whispers. He knew she was talking about him. When he sat down, he looked up, and the woman’s friend stood at his table.
The man grumbled. “Are you following her?” asked the man, frowning. “Leave her alone.”

Alvin huffed. He stared at the menu. “Are you her boyfriend?”

“Doesn’t matter to you. Leave her alone.”

Alvin assumed the man left the tableside when a waitress came to take his order. He waited for his food. He scratched his ear. The food came. When he finished eating, Alvin stood and walked toward the exit. The woman and man were still there. Alvin stopped. He stared at the woman. “Do I know you?” Alvin asked.

The other man half-stood.

“No,” the woman said, not looking up.

“My mistake,” said Alvin. “I’m sorry.” Alvin turned. He caught her face as she looked toward him. He scratched the back of his ear and left the diner.

pirahna1

I'm so upset with myself for not finishing my piece, I had a really solid concept too. I was only able to crank out like 800 words before yesterday, I procrastinated like I always do :(

You all have really solid stories. I'll have to force myself to complete a story for #32, no quitting next time!

ZephyrFate said:
my title is not punny in the least!
No, but mine is!

pirahna1 said:
I'm so upset with myself for not finishing my piece, I had a really solid concept too. I was only able to crank out like 800 words before yesterday, I procrastinated like I always do :(

You all have really solid stories. I'll have to force myself to complete a story for #32, no quitting next time!
We'll be waiting for you.

Aaron

Here's some comments. I'll try to do more later:

Spoo - Starts too expository and about half of this dialogue really doesn't go anywhere.

Mato - Not so much a story as a character piece. It could be a story with more sense of structure.

Belfast - Didn't like the reaper talking like a regular guy. That sort of thing has been done too often in pieces like this, and isn't interesting. Great work otherwise.

ronito - Though it's well done, it's also a bit too close to some stories you've done before. I wanted it to go somewhere unexpected. The start would have been a good launch for magical realism or something.

hey_monkey - You put together an interesting world and fill it with interesting characters, so it's kind of a shame it's so much conversation. What little pure narration there is really shines.

akachan ningen - Avoid pure exposition like the second paragraph, and try to include details like that in the narrative, more like the first paragraph. The dialogue is a bit wordy compared to how people naturally speak. Say it out loud a few times, and trim it where it needs it. Honestly, all it really lacks is experience. If you keep writing, you'll be able to condense this down, making it flow better and generally more interesting.

AndrewG009 - Grammar is a little flaky. I recommend googling elements of style, especially where to use commas and periods. It's also better to experience an event in a story, than being told second hand.

Mkliner - Don't get any sense of the narrator. It's also lacking concrete details to pin it down, which would help the more mystical aspects of it.

Mato

Now to take Ronito's example and take a stab at a few of the stories. I do not pretend to be myself above all others and am liable to several of the negativities I criticise. These are just my thoughts, don't get offended. I have not read the rest yet.

Ronito: interesting enough to follow but the wrap was a bit anticlimatic to me. The build up almost made me yearn for a cliche on-stage screw up of his.

akachan ningen: it unfolded in a more low-key way than I would have guessed from the post-apocalyptic opening paragraph. It seems as if mid-through you changed mind and aimed for a short mystery novel instead, so the elements don't quite blend. I am not sure I like it, but it does not fall flat completely either.

Mkliner: Surrealism meets Existentialism. Not bad. It reminded me of Michael Ende's Mirror Within A Mirror stories.

Tim the Wiz: I thought it was one of the most well written stories but did not really go places. I do appreciate the mild poetic sensitivities of it though.

Dax01: It is akward. It gave me one or two things to think about, but I would have prefered a body of words dubbed "What Aliens Think Of Human Porn" and you exploring this, rather than the story you winded up with.

Ward: Decent take on realism. Your choice of words did not always satisfy me. Sometimes you said it good, sometimes you didn't. The idea of a hide and seek game with death is adequately played but the unfeasable ending (How does he narrate if he is dead?) put me off.

Aaron: The sentence "I am not a machine" upped my interest, then back down again with "welcome, recently deceased". Is he a robot? Is he a cyborg? Does it have a soul and if not why does it care? Is this all an afterlife mezzanine experience, a science-fiction, an action-thriller or what? Still, yet you try to pack more and I'm left clueless. But it is not badly phrased.

ZephyrFate: The haunting, ghost theme is noble enough but parts of it are written in a casual, pseudo-cool, almost vulgar tone I do not care much for. Elaborate descriptions of enviromental beauty do not really convey the feeling and I had an urge to skip.

Cyan: Feels simple and positevely old-fashioned reminiscent of The Jungle Book. Straightforward. I like the childinsh image it paints in my head. One criticism I have is it feels like you could have told the story with less words.

crowphoenix and Botolf: I don't really dig the traditional fantasy setup. I have always thought it difficult to write a traditional fantasy story that actually conveys. I still have one or two Discworld books sitting over there unread. Just me.

kozmo7: For a while things seemed like the book version of I Am Legend. "I always hated you" made laugh. I think would prefer a violent ending with thugs. Nontheless I felt it was well written and the prose felt like a smoothie to my ear.

Epcott

Awww... would have been great to use a tid bit from my book to write as a short story for this contest, since it has a similar theme. I just found out about this today :lol

Could the next writing contest be stickied? Pwettty Pweeeeeese?

Mato said:
akachan ningen: it unfolded in a more low-key way than I would have guessed from the post-apocalyptic opening paragraph. It seems as if mid-through you changed mind and aimed for a short mystery novel instead, so the elements don't quite blend. I am not sure I like it, but it does not fall flat completely either.

I didn't change my mind, I just wanted to make the setting lonely and abandoned to set the mood for a sort-of mystery, as you said. So it's not really apocalyptic, it's just this one town where few people live anymore.

Mato said:
crowphoenix and Botolf: I don't really dig the traditional fantasy setup. I have always thought it difficult to write a traditional fantasy story that actually conveys. I still have one or two Discworld books sitting over there unread. Just me.
That is a fairly widely held belief, and one I'm pretty familiar with. I, of course, disagree, but if I was unable to reach you, the problem is my own.

Mato said:
I don't really dig the traditional fantasy setup. I have always thought it difficult to write a traditional fantasy story that actually conveys. I still have one or two Discworld books sitting over there unread. Just me.

Personally, I've always had the experience (lol) that writing fantasy well is much harder than anything else since you can get so caught up in realizing the world and setting that you lose focus on plot and characterization to disastrous effect. Or vice versa. Is that what you mean?

If you mean that it's difficult to find traditional fantasy stories that convey well, then I have to disagree. Fantasy stories are extremely rewarding when everything is balanced and works fine. If this was the case, I would argue that you haven't been exposed to enough quality fantasy stories then.

Also, you might simply have a subjective lack of appreciation for the genre, whereby it is more of a case that the disconnect occurs on your end specifically rather than as a general principle -- which your broad assertion could be interpreted as claiming. However, there is no crime in such feeling as long as it is not borne out of some desire to be seen as an "intellectual" who is above genre; although I'm sure this is not you at all.

Mato said:
Dax01: It is akward. It gave me one or two things to think about, but I would have prefered a body of words dubbed "What Aliens Think Of Human Porn" and you exploring this, rather than the story you winded up with.
Awkward in what ways? I only do scripts, I'm not going to do book-style writing. And making it entirely about "what aliens think of human porn" was not what I wanted to do.

Mato said:
Now to take Ronito's example and take a stab at a few of the stories. I do not pretend to be myself above all others and am liable to several of the negativities I criticise. These are just my thoughts, don't get offended. I have not read the rest yet.

ZephyrFate: The haunting, ghost theme is noble enough but parts of it are written in a casual, pseudo-cool, almost vulgar tone I do not care much for. Elaborate descriptions of enviromental beauty do not really convey the feeling and I had an urge to skip.
I write in a 'vulgar tone' with certain characters to add to their depth -- in other words, make them more realistic since people these days more often than not curse and use colloquialisms -- and I'm sorry the environmental descriptions didn't grab you... that's where my strength lies, in verbose yet beautiful descriptions.

ronito

Back from Yosemite. Missed the creative writing crew.

Tim the Wiz: I sorta agree with Mato, while well put together it didn't really seem to go anywhere. Even so I really enjoyed it.

Dax I loved the concept and the expressions were really good. Some of the characters sounded like each other but overall I liked it.

Ward 8 is an adolescent? The first line is the most important this instantly turned me sideways. I really like how you move through time fluidly, I'm going to have to steal that trick. While I love the concept and wording I did feel that there was so much exposition and so little pay off. It felt as anti-climatic as his revelation. No, seriously.

kozmo7

Mato said:
kozmo7: For a while things seemed like the book version of I Am Legend. "I always hated you" made laugh. I think would prefer a violent ending with thugs. Nontheless I felt it was well written and the prose felt like a smoothie to my ear.

It's funny you say that actually.
I had originally wanted to have the Father kill or hurt his daughter/family member but decided against it.

I am glad you liked it though. I don't write much but I'm always told I have a natural talent for it. I never thought I was all that great really.

ronito said:
Dax I loved the concept and the expressions were really good. Some of the characters sounded like each other but overall I liked it.
Thanks. Will work on differentiating the dialog in the future.

Cyan

Banned
Mato said:
Cyan: Feels simple and positevely old-fashioned reminiscent of The Jungle Book. Straightforward. I like the childinsh image it paints in my head. One criticism I have is it feels like you could have told the story with less words.
Interesting! I had a hard time just making it down to 1600 words. But then, I'm still probably too close to it to see what could've been chopped out wholesale. Thanks for the comments!

I'll get my comments/votes in hopefully tonight. If not, then tomorrow morning.

ronito

nitewulf: I think the POV didn't really work here and also you didn't need the mystery bit it was strong enough on its own.

Aaron: Nicely done, I like the imagery you play with and you do it very effectively. I do think with a bit more time and polish you could do something really great with it. Still very nicely done.

Zephyr: While I didn't care much for the last line I did like everything overall. Though one of your strengths is your sense of tone, you do seem to have the same tone quite a bit (something I'm guilty of as well).

Kozmo This was a really good take on the theme, the ending left me wanting especially after all we went through even the words "for now" would've added a lot more to it.

Botolf: The beginning needs a lot of work (sorry, but I can't count the number of fantasy story has started with similar images and setting) or you could've frankly cut most of it out all together.

Cyan Am I mistaken or didn't you do something similar a while ago? In the end I was sorta left with a feeling of "well, if that was it why did we spend all that time getting there?"

Crow Interesting take on the theme and it didn't even start in a tavern! I like the idea of a sword that keeps you alive. This time I'll also have to say the beginning didn't feel the most effective, start closer to the action in the end the village didn't add too much when compared to the ruins. I hope you revisit Hargon at some point, I'd be interested to know more about him. Well done.

DumbNamed While it's rather well constructed I feel like I must be missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom