• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whys everything free roaming gotta be a "GTA clone"

Barnimal

Banned
sicka this mess. get me all hyped up for no reason...ready to cause chaos and destruction "oh its like GTA" BULLSHIT its like GTA. NOTHING is like GTA. Not spiderman, Not mercenaries, not true crime...well if it didnt suck maybe, not mafia, not hitman...NONE OF EM ARE GTA CLONES. i hate that!!! Is shenmue a GTA clone? NO! you can free roam in shenmue...hell shenmue came before the 3d GTA why isnt everything a shenmue clone? No ones copying GTA just making games somewhere in the same genre kinda. Someone earlier today here even said simpsons hit and run was a GTA clone. :lol wtf? crazy taxi? hello? This nonsense needs to stop. F.R.E.E. full reactive eyes entertainment 4 lyfe.

-DCX

So you honestly believe that alot of games that have added free roaming into their games weren't inspired by the popularity of GTA?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
well how many games in the past allowed you to roam around in a world filled with mini games, side missions, story missions, collecting, beating up enemies/bystanders, etc.? not many, if any. after GTA3, you see a lot of games that have this model of creating a huge world filled with those things. you already mentioned most of them. so yeah, that's why they're called GTA clones...maybe people should say "influenced by GTA" but that's too many words to say. sure you're not doing drive by shootings or having sex with hookers in Spider-Man 2, but the way the game is structured is influenced by GTA

-DCX

Because saying "...it's like GTA" is a loaded generalisation that conveys volumes of information with very few words. People don't use Shenmue as a generalisation because almost no one played it, but everyone and their grandma knows what "...it's like GTA" means, even lower forms of life like soccer moms, opportunistic politicians and lawyers have a faint, albeit misguided idea of what that means.

blahness

Barnimal said:
Someone earlier today here even said simpsons hit and run was a GTA clone. :lol wtf? crazy taxi? hello?

ummm Simpsons Hit and Run IS a GTA clone.... Simpsons Road Rage is the Crazy Taxi clone

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
comparing Shenmue to GTA is just plain stupid as well. in Shenmue, it's not like you can take side missions and complete them or whatever. your only objective in Shenmue is to...well, basically advance through the story line. finding out where Lan Di is, avenging your father. it's not like playing Hang On or Lucky Hit will boost your stamina or hit points. can you beat up innocent people in the streets if you wanted to? nope. there's really not that much interactivity

-DCX

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Why does every new FPS have to be a "Halo 2 killer", why were RTS games all "C&C clones" for such a long time? It's just a popular gaming culture reference. You can call it whatever you want.

mj1108

jaundicejuice said:
Because saying "...it's like GTA" is a loaded generalisation that conveys volumes of information with very few words. People don't use Shenmue as a generalisation because almost no one played it, but everyone and their grandma knows what "...it's like GTA" means, even lower forms of life like soccer moms, opportunistic politicians and lawyers have a faint, albeit misguided idea of what that means.

Plus "it's like GTA" will sell copies no matter how bad the game is.

newsguy

My question is what happens when something does it better. Like many people believe that Forza was better than GT4. Up until now EVERY racing sim has been a potential "GT Killer" so what now? What if Saint's Row kicks the crap out of GTA:SA (which I doubt)? When do these games lose their title of being the best at what they do?

newsguy said:
My question is what happens when something does it better. Like many people believe that Forza was better than GT4. Up until now EVERY racing sim has been a potential "GT Killer" so what now? What if Saint's Row kicks the crap out of GTA:SA (which I doubt)? When do these games lose their title of being the best at what they do?

Being a killer is more than being better than a game. To be a killer of a game its not only gotta be better but its gotta sell more to steal away that series popularity. Many people considered Silent Hill to be better than RE, but all survivor horror games are still labeled RE killers because its still the most popular.

raYne

tedtropy said:
Why does every new FPS have to be a "Halo 2 killer", why were RTS games all "C&C clones" for such a long time? It's just a popular gaming culture reference. You can call it whatever you want.
Because game "X" has to be better than game "Y", ie best game ever, or else it sucks.

sangreal

Its just something every new genre goes through for awhile. It'll go away eventually.

Make no mistake though, Saint's Row is a GTA clone. There is a difference between taking the abstract elements that define GTA like free roaming and copying every bit of gameplay.

Varian said:
Isn't GTA a Zelda: OoT clone?

dior45dq1rp.jpg

Barnimal

Banned
Wario64 said:
comparing Shenmue to GTA is just plain stupid as well. in Shenmue, it's not like you can take side missions and complete them or whatever. your only objective in Shenmue is to...well, basically advance through the story line. finding out where Lan Di is, avenging your father. it's not like playing Hang On or Lucky Hit will boost your stamina or hit points. can you beat up innocent people in the streets if you wanted to? nope. there's really not that much interactivity

-DCX

you can FREE ROAM in shenmue. you can play lucky hit out outrun all day if you feel like it. i dont get why free roam=GTA. i'm sure we could sit here and name tons of games before GTA that allowed you to free roam. hell in zelda link to the past i could roam around and beat up chickens all day if i wanted to. saints row is the FIRST GTA clone in 3 years IMO

-DCX

Have you actually played Shenmue and Grand Theft Auto? I don't even know how you can honestly compare the level of freedom in GTA to what you have in Shenmue. I love Shenmue and all, but its not all that free.

Barnimal

Banned
free roaming to me isnt about being able to choose your quest and bah blah blah but more like interact with the world as you see fit. I know they are 2 different types of game but both allow you to manipulate time and play within the game as you want. to me thats free.

*edit*

oh...

-DCX

Wario64 said:
well how many games in the past allowed you to roam around in a world filled with mini games, side missions, story missions, collecting, beating up enemies/bystanders, etc.?

Aside from beating up bystanders, Zelda, for all of that.

But that doesn't mean all the free-roaming games aren't GTA clones; they are. Just because GTA didn't invent free-roaming doesn't mean its popularity didn't come from GTA. It did. And GTA's free-roaming world is better populated and fleshed-out than any I can think of prior to that, as well, which helped its success (and therefore influence).

This reminds me of the people who refuse to give Nintendo credit for the 'analog' thumbstick because analog joysticks existed previously. The fact that they are now standard on controllers is due to Nintendo. And the fact that free-roaming is popular is due to Rockstar.

Amir0x

Banned
Barnimal said:
sicka this mess. get me all hyped up for no reason...ready to cause chaos and destruction "oh its like GTA" BULLSHIT its like GTA. NOTHING is like GTA. Not spiderman, Not mercenaries, not true crime...well if it didnt suck maybe, not mafia, not hitman...NONE OF EM ARE GTA CLONES. i hate that!!! Is shenmue a GTA clone? NO! you can free roam in shenmue...hell shenmue came before the 3d GTA why isnt everything a shenmue clone? No ones copying GTA just making games somewhere in the same genre kinda. Someone earlier today here even said simpsons hit and run was a GTA clone. wtf? crazy taxi? hello? This nonsense needs to stop. F.R.E.E. full reactive eyes entertainment 4 lyfe.

Translation:

I just want to be able to defend Saint's Row without the possibility of it being called a imitation!

Man, give it a rest. Didn't we have this discussion in another thread, and you brought out these same stupid points... and now you make a thread about it? Everything "free roaming" is not a GTA clone. However, many free roaming games are. And it's not difficult to know when they are, either.

DCX

DCX
Did i miss something? Why is everyone signing their posts with my name?!?! Demi and I demand answers and now dammit!!

DCX

Barnimal

Banned
hey! :lol you have a sig! why cant i? "I'd go even as far to say that Zelda 1 is a GTA clone." everythings a GTA clone. GT4 is a GTA clone. see? GTA? GT4? sony just screwed with the lines of the "A" alittle.

-DCX

Top Bottom