• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #32 - "Bauble"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trinket

Parade rest. The boring death that the ignominious rank and file of infantry was reduced to at the whim of any cocksure officer high enough. Blank faces greeted the scrutiny of the general who was presiding over the rushed assembly. An aftermath of scowling complaints and an upsurge in drinking was usually the best that could be hoped for, but, as it was in the field, the unit remained professional while executing their duty. Oddly enough, there were more than a few grins in the crowded press today. I would have written off such an impression as madness if I hadn't been in the perfect position for such observation. It appeared as if they, too, had bought into the tale.

Today, I was to be honored. And I was sickened.

“Attention!”

The ranks jumped, stiff and tight, to attention. The general came to a stop adjacent to the Sergeant-Major and I, staring into the faces of the men with us. I bit down on the rampant malaise tearing at my composure. I had tried. I really had. But you couldn't stop this type of song and dance if it was for morale purposes.

The general's voice carried throughout the yard. “The bravery and skill of your lieutenant has come to our attention. For his act of meritorious service in the rescue, whilst under fire and after taking injury from an enemy grenade, of a fellow soldier wounded on reconnaissance into hostile territory, the United States Armed Forces award Lieutenant John Leech with the Bronze Star.” He moved forward, gathering the medal from his pocket, with a smile.

“General.” I saluted and held attention as he pinned the sucker on my chest.

“Lieutenant,” the general replied with an indulgent grin and a quick salute.

I glanced downwards at the shiny bronze thing now pinned to my chest. Resisting the urge to pluck it off and hurl it away from me, I glared up into the brightly-hued sky instead. Sunlight pierced my brow as I traced the clouds sweeping across the horizon. But then, I traced something more: a memory which had lingered throughout the day.

Flashes of light were alive in the night-sky – the music of coarse gunfire filling the air at every damnable second – as mud clung to the boots of soldiers it would soon embrace. I moved and sped with two men trailing at intentionally random intervals towards the unit's main position. We weren't running. We were moving. Low and fast, minimizing the risk of hostile fire.

"Fortune is the only thing that separates the heroes and the dead! Never forget that, soldier.”

In silence? No, the sergeant made sure of that.

"Yessir, fortune. Ha! Might as well accept you're already a dead –" The bullet took him in the neck and pulled him down hard to crunch into the dirt.

The private and I dropped straight to the ground. Hands pulling, fingers clawing, knees pushing; we made it to the side of the writhing sergeant. Neck splattered with blood and eyes caught in shock, he was numbly disoriented and lost in the initial thrall of critical injury.

A frozen moment. My skin crawled. The private next to me looked up, no more than nineteen or twenty, expecting answers and oblivious to the possibility of death. A steady throbbing kept tempo somewhere in my head. The answers the boy wanted now were simple, the product of naivety. It was a wonder he didn't come right out and say it. We can save him! Hell, we can save them all. Just tell me how, sir. There had to be answers, right?

Not his fault really. The kid was new, shipped in last week. Soon, though, he'd want the more complex answers: how to deal. Surely these people wouldn't be here, still able to fight and keep on going, if they didn't know the secret of how to stay sane when all their friends and enemies, rivals and jokes, dropouts and geeks, but brothers all the same, kept dying around them while they stayed alive for no better reason than chance. They'd know how to deal for sure.

Right?

The sergeant's face came back to life. His fever-dripped eyes looked into mine. He tried to speak. Neck disintegrating before every word and tongue weighed down by what looked like several tonnes. He tried to speak. The shocked eyes of the private reflected my own desire to scream and stop the man from attempting a last futile – he had to be dying – grasp on communicating to a world he would never see again.

It happened in an instant. A fluke. From nowhere, a grenade skittered along the ground, stopping to rest at the base of a tree not three meters from us. No thought. Just action, as our souls were stripped bare.

The private leaped towards it. I dove away.

A roar washed over me. Fire bathed my vision in an instant. My body burned and I breathed nothing. Slowly recovering, my first glimpse outside the blackness showed the dismantled corpse of the private splattered across the jungle floor. The pain needled in on my joints and the coughs wracked my body, but the only thing I remained aware of was the disintegrated mess staining the ground two meters away from me.

It took a while before I realized one thing had gone right. The sergeant was still breathing.

I was pulled back to the scorching disorientation of the courtyard by an elbow to the ribs that threatened to puncture my lungs. The scent of horse manure and sweating, packed soldiers had never been as enticing. It came out before I could think. “I never found out his name.”

“Who's name, soldier?” The general's eyes narrowed. Only he – and the elbow-happy soldier next to me – had heard.

My hand stroked the face of the medal I had wanted to rip off my uniform moments before. “Never mind, sir. I'll wear it for him.”

nitewulf

word count : 1808 MS Word

The Sad Cafe

The cigarette was stale. Like a Junction Boulevard hooker.

Two years ago, I walked in with nothing. Today, I walked out with 100 dollars, and the aforementioned cigarette from a fat prison guard.

The bus dropped me off at a small town in the middle of pouring rain. It seemed like it had been raining here for days. A constant downpour that washed away everything. The sad face of the young woman waiting for the bus mirrored the weather.

The phone rang for what seemed like an eternity before someone picked it up.

“Hello?”

I looked skywards exasperatedly and shook my head. There had to be a god. Because the things that kept happening to me couldn’t possibly be explained otherwise. They had to have been planned out carefully by a being that hated my very existence. My whole life was a big joke, a succession of tests. Trials intended to boil my blood, stir up my dark side. Prodding me time and again to see if I’d give into the darkness within.

“Summer, you shacked up with that rat? Didn’t take long at all huh? ”

“Zidane. You’re...you’re out?”

“Yeah. The lack of a welcoming party clued me in. But this is too rich. My wife shacking up with the prick that turned me in. You can’t make this shit up!”

“What’re you gonna do? You coming back to kill him?”

Suddenly I was very tired of life. A calm melancholy washed over me. I had no fight left in me.

“Nah. I had enough of this lifestyle. You and that prick deserve each other. I’m heading south. I’d say good luck and all that rot, but then I’d just be lying.”

My only reason, Summer, for going back to New York now gone, I wanted to go far away. I wanted the sun and the vastness of the ocean.

I smiled at the sad-faced pretty girl. She stared back vacantly. I was on a streak with the ladies, apparently.

“So, when’s the next bus?”

“You just got out of prison didn’t you?”

“That obvious?”

“Um, no. But the bus only drops off just released prisoners. What were you in for?

“Thievery.” I was drenched in the rain, I ran my hand through my hair, the cool water ran down my neck. It felt good, really good.

She watched me curiously.

“As for the bus, who knows?”

“Aren’t you waiting for it?”

“No. Not really. I just like sitting here, watching the rain. I can’t really leave this place anyway.”

“How bout some coffee then?”, I pointed at the corner café.

She bit her lower lip softly, and looked around.

“Uh.”

“I’m buyin’, just want some conversation is all.”

“Ok.”

The café was quaint, with a backyard patio. The patrons stared at us as if we were two shadows, not quite real.

I walked to the counter and smiled at the languid waitress.

“Two coffees, one black, how do you want yours, sugar?”

“Black as well.”

“Two black coffees, please. How much is that?”

“Oh, you guys want coffee?”

Everyone in town seemed to be a few cards short of a whole deck.

“Yes, it’s a café ain’t it?”

“Uh. Yes.” She replied quizzically.

We took our coffees out back. The corrugated roof was translucent. The rain formed tiny streams on the roof that splashed to the ground. The cacophony of dripping rain and splashing waterfall isolated us from everything else. A rusty wind-chime hung from one of the corners, it rustled like leaves. I liked the ones that chimed. This one was just ugly.

“What’s your name?”

“Silencia.” She barely muttered.

“Say what? Your name is Silence?”

“Yeah.”

“Ok. Curious, that. So, what’s your story Silencia?”

“Not much. I grew up here. My parents owned a little deli around the corner. They passed away last year.”

“Sorry to hear that. What’s keeping you here?”

“I uh.” She was suddenly very interested in the floor.

“That’s ok, you don’t have to tell me.”

“No, its just that...there’s something about you, but I don’t even know you.”

“I am Zidane. Ex-thief of other people’s material possessions. Currently hoping to be a thief of hearts. Ah, made you smile, very pretty, you should do that more often.”

“Um, wait here Zidane, I’ll be right back.”

“Sure.”

I looked around. The wind-chime was now a shade of cold blue. I walked up and touched it. It almost burnt my palm. I rubbed my palm, it felt raw and soft. I walked back inside.

“Any idea when the next bus is gonna come?”

It took the waitress a lot of effort to stop chewing her gum for a moment and stare at me.

“You’re new here, aren’t you?”

“Just passing through.”

“Uh.”

“Ok, never mind. What’s up with Silencia, what’s her deal?”

“She went to the bathroom.”

“No I mean like, what’s she like?”

“Oh, she’s a lovely girl. Her parents raised her very well. Her...boyfriend is a bit of a jerk though. But he runs the town, so everyone’s scared of him.”

“How come she don’t leave?”

“Uh. Well, no one really leaves. And her parents owed him money, so...”

I sure knew how to pick ‘em.

Silencia was back, so we walked back to the patio.

“It’s not a bad place you know, once you get used to it.”

“Sure, I could see that. It’s been raining ever since I got here. Weather must be the number one attraction!”

“No! We also have a few cows, and wait, one windmill!”

“Oh boy! One whole windmill huh? Nice!”

“Well the food is great, and what’re you complaining about, the coffee is good, right?”

She was actually starting to talk like a normal human being, the change was subtle but definitely noticeable. I found myself drawn to her. We talked over coffee and food. Then cheesecake. She was right, the food was very good. It got late as we talked, the backyard was now filled with the sound of buzzing crickets. We decided to call it a night.

I glanced at the wind-chime as we left. It was green.

“Silencia, is there a motel around here?”

“Hmm, so you wanna stay in our boring little town now huh? There’s a little inn down the road. I’ll show you.”

It had stopped raining, the smell of wet grass filled the night air.

“Hey, Silencia. Do you wanna talk a bit more?”

“Um, may be we could sit on the balcony, it’d be nice. And you could walk me home afterwards?”

“Sounds great, I’ll go grab a six pack.”

We had a nice view of the town from the balcony of the inn. The whole town was sleeping, aside from a few far off yellow lights.

“So, where’s your boyfriend.” I tried to sound casual.

“He goes out of town every two weeks. Some kind of a business deal. He’ll be back tomorrow.” She stared off at the crescent moon.

“What’s the matter?”

“No. It’s just...I don’t know how to explain it. I don’t know you very well, but I feel like I can rely on you, somehow. May be its your straightforward nature. Your directness. It’s as if you don’t put on a mask like everyone else. You are exactly who you are. And I feel like we can be very good friends...am I blabbing?”

Just great. I was relegated into the friend zone.

“Not at all...I’m glad I seem trustworthy to you, being a thief and all.”

“Not anymore you aren’t! You know I have no true friends? No one to talk to? No one new ever comes into town. My boyfriend and I barely even speak anymore.”

“So how come you’re sticking around?”

“That’s a long story. I mean, I don’t want you to think I’m some kind of a whore or something. My parents owed him a lot of money. I sold the deli, and I started working. It was never enough. Not really. I have to pay off the debt and I can’t really leave...”

She sounded tired.

“Look I don’t know what this is all about. But I wouldn’t stick around with someone I didn’t even get along with, let alone with someone who just used me. And all this about not being able to leave this town, I don’t get it. I’d just pack my bag and walk out. That’s me.”

She didn’t say anything.

“Look I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to...”

“No. You’re absolutely right, we all lost our courage somewhere. I should really be going, will you walk me home?”

The walk to her place was quiet.

“Goodnight Silencia, so, uh, you wanna have breakfast tomorrow?”

She made me feel like a teenager in love. I needed her a bit longer.

“Um, my boyfriend will be back tomorrow. He doesn’t really...”

“Ah never mind then, since I don’t know anyone here, and we are friends now I just thought...”

“I’ll wait for you at 8:30, don’t be late!”

She smiled back at me as she walked away. That smile was worth a knock or two, if it came to that in the morning. I rubbed my chin and smirked.

I was halfway through my second egg, over easy and almost blackened with pepper, just the way I liked it, while Silencia watched me eat, when trouble began.

I knew it was comin’, but I had hoped for later, than sooner.

A big bull of a man blasted into the patio.

“So you’re the new kid huh? You been messing around with my girl?”

“We’re just talking is all. I’m not looking for trouble.”

“You shut the hell up. Silencia, get here.”

“Look buddy, I don’t think she needs your permission to talk to someone, yeah?”

Silencia was visibly shaken.

“I’ll drop you right here kid.” He took out an old fashioned revolver.

Yep. They were all a few cards short.

“Look, who shoots someone for...”

He slapped Silencia across the floor and shot me.

On hind sight, I should have been shell-shocked. I reeled back instinctively, out of the corner of my eye, the wind-chime glittered a brilliant gold. Did his hand shake when he pulled the trigger? Did I feel something hot pass through me? I calmly walked over and knocked his teeth out. Literally. It was a hard right uppercut. The prick dropped like a bag of wet cement. For a split second I wanted to pick up the gun and blow his brains all over the floor. Just as easily, I walked over to Silencia, picked her up and walked away.

There was a bus waiting outside.

“I’m heading south, wanna come with?”

She didn’t look back. She just grabbed my hand and we walked into the bus.

The day before, I came in with a 100 bucks and a stale cigarette. Today, I left with the world in my hands.

Aaron

No Better
word count: 865

Lost in the heady mixture of roses and wine,
there is but one woman who brings flowers to bloom,
and coaxes the pale sun into a golden shine.
I would be content with just the scent of her perfume,
if not for her keeping company with that damned feline.

With fur of an ashen ghost and glare of a beast,
he regards my arrival with a snarl and departure a purr.
I would boot him back to the moon at the least,
but we both accept the other for the sake of her.

Until I made my grievous prosecution,
leaving our uneasy alliance completely rent.
In the name of a million years of evolution,
I asked why did she never leave her humble apartment
in the company of this ill-mannered furbag with substitution?

"A man is no better than a cat. Worse, in fact."
Her voice brought the birds to weep in envy.
"Give them a little care, they expect greater contact,
but a cat will not plead pathetically."

"I will not plead."
At least until they make me bleed.

"You would for me."
I was forced to agree.

"Yet a cat can not speak."
Little more than a squeak.

"How I wish that were true of all guys."
With a roll of her most perfect eyes.

"A cat can not dance."
With a twirl and top hat, I slipped down the staircase,
choosing any woman to charm by chance.
Fred Astaire would stumble before my fleet-footed grace.
The maid in my arms fainted at my final glance,
but I let her fall with my heart already incased,
thrilling at a glance from the one true romance.

Though my clawed rival's disdain is limitless.
He rose with his arms around a well dressed doll,
and performed a perfect waltz to leave the crowd breathless,
setting down his partner as gentle as a snowfall.

"A cat has no talent for music."
I played with calloused fingers a sweeping solo,
sounded on a well tuned but well worn acoustic,
to make Santana lose his cool and Hendrix drop his halo.
The crowd grew thick without a single lyric,
leaving my final strains to fade off into the cosmo.

Her polite applause was hardly a swoon,
while the cursed creature at her side raised a baton,
and tapped it against his stand as if I were out of tune.

A tiered orchestra had formed in accompaniment.
Music flowed like a river of sound at his command,
soft and tranquil while building into a raging torrent.
It shook the world until it became a dreamland.

Many were openly weeping while fearing the final,
while I skirted around covertly to reach the orchestra,
and discover which composer had produced this marvel.
Was it Mozart? Bach? Johann Friedrich Agricola?
Being a paw mark in place of a scribble,
marked this elegant aura.

"Art!"
It took to easel and paints in daring composition.
My eyes and my subject never once did part,
locked on the one who had no imitation.
With the speed of Hermes my brush did dart,
producing a likeness beyond impression.
Enough to draw the gaze of my sweetheart.

Only then did I detect the chip of stone.
In the place of the feline arose a great sculpture,
larger than life of one no woman could dethrone.
David was not so detailed, Venus not so pure.
Overcome with awe, the crowd could only moan.

"Philosophy!"
The true work of man is that of the mind.
In classic style, with pen and ink flowing free,
I composed my treatise on the true nature of mankind,
Wise men of Moses, Christ, and Mohamed did study,
nodding in solemn agreement to truth defined.

Then a cursed paw was raised as I took a bow,
bearing a tract it offered to each of these holy fathers.
Though it wasn't praise that flowed from them now,
but instead tears as they embraced one another as brothers.

I halted the oppression of North Korea,
he made democracy in China more than an idea.

I brought an end to world hunger,
he cured all disease, even those yet to discover.

I designed a craft capable of traveling to Mars,
while he signaled to a ship already overhead,
returning from beyond the furthest stars.

"I had hoped to avoid this, but you're giving me a beating!"
I finally declared out of desperation and despair,
feeling that my next act was certainly cheating.

A small box kept hidden behind my waistband.
My beloved already knew what it did hold.
In a blur she snatched it from my outstretched hand.
So the evening's light fell upon a simple ring of gold,
set with a diamond that a rainbow spanned.

She smiled.
She sighed.
She stared with her eyes alight and wild,
quickly casting the cat by the wayside.

I watched him pass with some small remorse,
though victory was too sweet a taste to detract.
I held out my hand to her in honor of our new course,
but that wasn't the way I had hoped she'd react,
walking away with her eyes on her new love's source.
"A man is no better than a diamond. Worse, in fact...."

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Daughter
Word count: 634

The look on her face told me everything I needed to know – this was going to be a long night.

It was that wide smile, those vacant eyes, the little pool of drool by the side of her mouth; nothing was going to stop her now. She had somehow gotten her hands on some sort of – what was it? – trinket, I’ll say. It was shiny and smooth, round and cool, everything I could never be (she’ll never let that go, by the way – every day she blames me for not being shinier than I am. Once, when she saw a cartoon man drink radioactive sludge and glow from the inside out, she insisted I eat every last spore of the moldy bread in the back of the fridge so that I too could shine from within).

Why any of this still surprises me, I haven’t the faintest idea. This girl and I have been together for, oh, 12 years? 13, maybe? Forgive me if my obliviousness to time offends you, because frankly I’ve lost the will to care. Time doesn’t feed us, time never works 14 hour shifts at some cesspool of a bar just so my little girl and I can survive – if anything, time’s the one giving me back spasms and pushing her further and further away.

But I digress. Tonight, she’ll be right here, sleeping next to me, clutching in her hands the object of her momentary desire. I will watch her belly rise with each breath, and know how special she really is.

This peaceful scenario will, of course, be preceded by hours and hours of shrill, nonsensical screaming – joyful screaming, sure, but the neighbors don’t take kindly to it in any case. I will try my best to calm her down, knowing in the back of my mind that it will never get through to her but hoping against hope that this time it will. When she finally gives in to fatigue, she’ll fall, like a forgotten puppet. I’ll try to pick her up and she will play dead, going limp in my arms and giggling her little giggle.

So our night will play out. I’ve seen it happen time and time again and have no reason to believe this time will be any different. My neighbor, Amy, says I should stop indulging her – that I should “de-shine” the playroom, as it were. She’s gotten it in her head that a 13 year old girl who plays alone with shiny objects will never, never be normal, but Amy was never very smart, or even very nice.

See, “normal” is subjective. I know the secret to keeping my girl happy, and damn the person who says I’m irresponsible for giving it away. When she smiles that smile – when I can see her teeth and hear her raucous laugh and feel her spittle on my own face – I know that it’s all been worth it. She will never be “normal”, she will never have friends, and painful as it is to say, she will never grow up, but fuck, she’s still human for God’s sake.

She is still my little girl, and I am still her provider of shiny objects.

It will be 3 A.M., and I will be dreaming my habitual dream of twisted threads and failed fissions. It’s as if my mind is refusing to forget what happened to her. It will play out, step by failed step, and at the end of it I will wake up damp with sweat and tears. I will look over to her, sleeping soundlessly next to me with her bauble clutched against her chest, happy as can be, and I will cry. I will cry and cry until the sun or my neighbors shut me up.

So it has been for 13 years.

nitewulf

Tim the Wiz said:
Forget that! You used the name Zidane without a football reference? smh
:p
i didn't use a reference...but he is based on zidane, my favorite football player of all time.

My idea still hasn't fully formed yet, which is very frustrating. And tomorrow's going to be busy as all get out considering I'm leaving on Thursday for a trip and won't be back until Sunday night.

I was really hoping to bang something out tonight. I've still got the setting and the main character, but the idea is a bit to saccharine, a bit too after school special. Well, I'll keep on it a bit longer.

Cyan

Banned
Saint Anthony of Lisbon (1276)

When Licia was finished crying for the evening, she searched the whole apartment top to bottom, one last time. Then she brushed her teeth, washed her face, put on her favorite blue velvet dress, and did something she hadn't done in a very long time. She knelt down, right there by the couch, and prayed to Saint Anthony of Lisbon.

She bowed her head, pictured the Saint as he was depicted in the stained glass windows at church, and spoke aloud in a solemn, respectful tone. "Oh Saint Anthony," she said. "I know I have not prayed to you in quite some time. But I need your aid. I have lost something, and I need your help to find it. Please, Saint Anthony."

She knelt there for a time, hands clasped, head bowed, repeating her prayer. Finally, just as she was raising her head, preparing to stand, the air shimmered, and Saint Anthony was there.

He was a tall man, imposing, and he might have been intimidating but for the simple brown Franciscan habit he wore, and his air of quiet benevolence. "Licia," said Saint Anthony. "Years, it's been." His voice was deep and powerful, and a shiver ran down Licia's spine at the sound of it. He smiled.

"Saint Anthony," said Licia, and she couldn't help but smile in return. "I'm sorry--"

He held up a hand. "Not at all. You've been busy. I've been busy. People lose things more than ever these days." He sat down on the couch with a sigh. It creaked under his weight. "Well, you asked my help, and I've come. What have you lost?"

"I can't seem to find my ring. I was worried it might have been stolen, but--" she trailed off.

Saint Anthony gazed around the apartment. Licia's hand twitched. She probably should've cleaned before she brought him here. The television and DVD player were covered in dust, and unpopped popcorn kernels littered the coffee table. There was a spot on the carpet where she'd spilled some Diet Coke yesterday, which she hadn't yet worked up the energy to clean. The trash can and recycling bin were both full to overflowing, and unwashed dishes filled the sink. But his gaze did not linger on the mess. He looked once around the room, then straight at the bookshelf, where Mark's collection of New Age books sat, not yet packed up. Saint Anthony frowned. "When were you last in church?"

Licia winced. "It's been a while." At Saint Anthony's steady gaze, she went on, almost whispering. "Three years."

"Why so long?" Saint Anthony's tone was mild, but his eyes had lost some of their sparkle.

"My husband did not believe it to be important. He--discouraged me from attending. But I have always kept the teachings of Jesus close to my heart. Now, please, Saint Anthony--"

Saint Anthony looked at her, eyes wide. "Did not? Why do you say it in that way? Your husband is not dead."

"No," said Licia, trying to stay calm and respectful. "No, he's not dead."

Saint Anthony raised an eyebrow.

"He--we're separated."

"I see."

"We're seeking a divorce."

Saint Anthony's frown deepened. "Have you or he joined a religious order?"

"Well no, but--"

"Was your husband adulterous?"

"No, but--"

"Did he commit heresy?"

"Not exactly, but--"

"If these conditions are not met," Saint Anthony's said in ringing tones, "there can be no dissolution of the marriage."

"There can and will." Licia looked away. She had forgotten the forcefulness of Saint Anthony's preaching--she had actually felt his voice vibrating through the floor just now. "The papers have already been filed."

"Civil law may change, but God's law does not." Saint Anthony clasped his hands together. "'To them that are married, not I but the Lord commandeth, that the wife depart not from her husband. And if she depart, she remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband. And let not the husband put away his wife.' Corinthians."

"Things don't work that way any more!"

"God's law does not change," Saint Anthony said again. He paused. "Why do you wish to leave your husband?"

"Who said it's me leaving?" Licia bit her lip. She had to remember this was a saint she was talking to. "It's not that I don't love him any longer. It's a matter of trust."

"You don't trust him."

"He didn't trust me." Licia forced herself to meet Saint Anthony's gaze. "He thought I was having an affair. Well, no. Mark didn't just think it, he was convinced. He went through my emails and my phone messages, looking for evidence."

"And were you?"

"Having an affair? No!" Despite herself, Licia glared at Saint Anthony. "It was a complete delusion. He had no reason--well. There was this young man at work. He was very flirtatious. Kept trying to get me to have a drink with him."

"So your husband did have cause for suspicion?"

"No! That man--boy--was half my age. And nothing ever happened between us."

Saint Anthony said nothing, just gazed at her.

"All right! All right, I could have done more to discourage him. Should have. But my husband should have had more trust in me."

"Certainly. Did you bring him to your priest, that you might discuss the matter?"

"I told you, I haven't been to church in quite some time."

"So the two of you went to a secular counselor."

"Well." Licia hesitated. She was sure, somehow, that Saint Anthony would know if she lied to him. "No. I was upset and angry; I didn't want to talk about things. I just wanted out."

"I see."

Licia's stomach sank. She suspected that he did see. "Maybe--maybe I was a bit hasty."

Saint Anthony said nothing.

"Maybe I shouldn't have acted out of anger."

Still, Saint Anthony did not speak.

"Maybe I should've given Mark a chance."

"It is not too late."

"It is too late. Words were said--no, I can't go back and talk to him."

"Pride is a sin," said Saint Anthony. He heaved himself up from the couch and walked over to the sink, hands clasped together. "Why do you want me to find your wedding ring, if you no longer wish to be married?"

Licia stared. "How did you know it was my wedding ring?"

"I'm dead, Licia, not blind. Why?"

Licia hesitated again. Her hand shook, though not out of anger. "It's important to me. It represents a time in my life when I was happy, when I thought things would always be a certain way."

"That is both vague and nonsensical. Try again."

Licia blinked several times. "It's a keepsake. There are powerful emotions connected with it for me. I don't want those to be lost."

"A wedding ring is not a talisman. It is a symbol of commitment."

"Well, yes. And I want to have that symbol with me, because--" She stopped. She suddenly found that she was crying again, crying uncontrollably. She could not stop crying. Saint Anthony didn't care about her; she had been fooling herself to think that he did. Nobody cared.

She lay down on the couch, and just let everything out.

Some time later, Licia sat up. She wiped her gummy eyes, and shakily brushed a strand of hair back from her damp forehead. She was a mess, she was sure. But it no longer mattered--Saint Anthony had gone. He must have given up on her. She felt a small sense of spiteful satisfaction at the thought.

She stood, and walked over to the kitchen sink to wash her face, dishes be damned. She looked down, and her breath caught.

There on the counter, next to a stack of dirty dishes, lay her ring.

Cyan

Banned
Ward said:
Elmo Ruxspin
I don't get the joke at the beginning either. Does the guy just have a really weird sense of humor?

The elmo stalking stuff is nicely done. Although when he tells his wife about it, her reaction is weird. It doesn't seem like someone would immediately conclude from what the guy said that he honestly thought a doll was out to get him. I'd think they'd take it as another joke.

Cute ending.

Pseudo_Sam said:
Nice little piece, but damn it was confusing at first. I thought the story was about the guy's girlfriend who had some really weird fetishes, until I finally got to the part that mentioned she was a 13-year-old.

Once I figured that out, and reread the piece, it was nice. There's some good writing in there. But it would've been better if it was more clear early on what the story was actually about.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Cyan said:
Nice little piece, but damn it was confusing at first. I thought the story was about the guy's girlfriend who had some really weird fetishes, until I finally got to the part that mentioned she was a 13-year-old.

Once I figured that out, and reread the piece, it was nice. There's some good writing in there. But it would've been better if it was more clear early on what the story was actually about.

Eh. I figured a little mystery would keep the reader interested. It was intentional, but maybe it was a bad decision.

EDIT: Hey, I like yours as well Cyan, although so many consecutive lines of dialogue gets me confused. I need some descriptive narrative to stay grounded within the story.

That may just be a personal quirk though. ;)

Cyan, have to say, that's your best work so far, imo. Granted, I haven't read most of the challenges <#27-ish, but yeah, my number one in this one at the moment.

Of course, this might have something to do with my love/hate for the requisite special kind of crazy that women inhabit. ;)

Belfast

Not sure I'm going to make this one guys. I had most of a story written (but not edited) and some personal issues just came up today.

nitewulf

zephyrfate - it needs to be polished up. aside from that, i thought the theme was similar to your last entry, which is ok. the protagonist's motivation could have been explained better, i guess the corporate/individual greed for the object didn't come across very well, so i didn't feel/sympathize with the protagonist's last act.

hey_monkey - you actually went the borges route of creating a journalistic alternate history. very, very well done. a bit too short though.

tim - well written, you didn't use the second objective. pretty standard war story otherwise though, even if well written.

Tim the Wiz said:
Of course, this might have something to do with my love/hate for the requisite special kind of crazy that women inhabit. ;)

If there was either:

a) a raised eyebrow smiley, or
b) a way to bite you through the internet,

you'd be in trouble, mister.

eta: fixing my dumbass typo

hey_monkey said:
If there was either:

a) a raised eyebrow smiling, or
b) a way to bite you through the internet,

you'd be in trouble, mister.

Trouble? Neither sound that bad. ;)

Seriously, though, that was simply a joke, and I know men are just as vulnerable to flaws such as pride or other emotional hang-ups at their core, but I do feel that this can be displayed in different ways sometimes - and the devil's in the details. In that story specifically, you see that universality in the obsession the husband had with the possibility of Licia having an affair. They're both making emotionally-driven mistakes; each a different shade of crazy, as it were.

Don't try to bring your logic in here, sir. FUCK YOUR LOGIC I WILL BITE YOU RAAAA--

wait, I'm doing that crazy thing, aren't I?

ronito

The doctor was a picture of sterile professionality. Her clothes meticulous, glasses severe, the angles of her face sharp and her voice carefully tepid. However, her pulled back hair, the way her lipstick reflected the light off the roundness of her lips, the slight shadow of cleavage peeking out above her blouse hinted at a hidden sensuality. Daryl sat on the couch and took in the sight of her with longing.

"Hello Daryl." The doctor said not looking up from her chart. "I am Dr. Susan Hotch, director of psychology for the hospital."

"Hi."

"You can call me Susan." She still hadn't looked up from her chart.

"Ok.Hi, Susan."

"So," The doctor said setting down her chart and picking up a notebook, "You went to the ER complaining of groin pains. But they sent you here for an psych consult."

Daryl sighed and began to look around the room bored.

"Why would they do that Daryl?" The doctor asked leaning back in her chair.

"I have an enchanted cock." Daryl replied.

"I'm sorry. I don't understand."

"I'm not being cute, or trying to tell you I have a magical rooster. My penis, my cock, is enchanted."

"I see...and why do you believe your penis is 'enchanted'?"

"Because of the genie." Daryl said studying the window.

"What Genie Daryl?"

"This Genie." Daryl said pulling out a small blue bottle from his breast pocket.

"There's a genie in the bottle?" The doctor said pulling a pencil from her desk and beginning to write notes.

"Yes."

"And does he talk to you?"

"Not now, the bastard is sleeping." Daryl said angrily.

"So when he's awake he talks?"

"Well yeah, but he'll sleep for the next four years."

"So he wont speak to you until then?"

"No. I've tried everything but the bastard wont wake up."

"Well Daryl," The doctor paused from her writing, "Perhaps there is no genie in the bottle and you just need to learn to accept that."

"Like hell there's not." Daryl snorted.

"How do you know if he wont talk to you?"

"How the hell else do you think I got this enchanted cock?"

"Alright then, why don't you tell me?"

"About a year ago I went to Santa Cruz with some friends. It's my tradition to always get a little trinket from every new place I visit. But it was getting late and I was broke. Poking out from the sand I saw this bottle and I took it."

"And that's when the genie popped out?"

"No. He didn't pop out until that night. I was in the hotel room and nearly died from shock. The genie said he'd grant me three wishes but only one wish every five years."

"And that's when you wished for an enchanted..uh..penis?"

"Of course not! First I asked for fifty million dollars. The genie said he couldn't just make things appear. I wished for someone to give me fifty million dollars, but the genie explained he couldn't change someone's free will. I asked to be the smartest man in the world. But the genie said he couldn't change me physically which he would have to do to accomplish that."

"Doesn't sound like a very good genie."

"You're telling me?!" Daryl continued getting more and more angry as he continued, "Finally after about forty attempts I finally wished that my cock would bring women incredible pleasure. The genie said that if he were to do that then I would not be able to give myself pleasure otherwise I might die. I agreed. The genie said, 'Done. Til our next meeting in five years' and disappeared."

"And then what happened?"

"Well nothing, outside of not being able to jerk off. But then I started dating a girl. Poor girl, I nearly killed her. The genie didn't say that it would only take a slight touch of my cock to give a woman the orgasm of her life. I sat there pounding the poor girl until she passed out. Doctors said that her heart had nearly exploded."

"And are you still with this woman?"

"No. She wanted to continue the relationship more than anything. But really she just wanted the magic cock. And since all it took was a slight touch and she was done, I was getting nothing out of it."

"You resented her." The doctor said writing faster.

"Wouldn't you?"

"Fair enough. What happened then?"

"I dated other women, looking for someone, anyone who could satisfy me."

"And none could?"

"One touch from my cock would give them the biggest orgasm of their lives. Doesn't matter where I touch them. No one could keep up the strength to even get me close to finishing."

"Again you sound resentful."

"Of course I was. I still am!" Daryl nearly shouted as he stood and began to pace, "I mean it takes a lot of effort to woo a woman and try to get her to bed. And after all that, to be let down time after time after time.

"You women." Daryl said shaking his head, "You don't know how lucky you are. You want sex? It's just one bar away. Find some guy, tell him your mind, easily done."

"I think you'd be surprised Daryl, women have the same problems men do." The doctor replied.

"Try telling that to man who hasn't ejaculated for a month.", Daryl muttered.

"Daryl, you need to realize that study after study has shown that women have just as much sex drive as men do."

"Yeah, that's just lies made up by some feminist."

"Daryl, you really need deal with your misogynistic view of women. Women are people just like you, they have the same name needs, even sexual needs. You need to accept that."

"You wanna have sex right here, right now?"

"What?!" The doctor exclaimed.

"You. Me. Right here on your desk. This instant."

"Of course not! That would be highly inappropriate, why I'm offended that you, my patient, would even suggest."

"See? Lies made up by some feminist."

"Daryl you have some anger issues."

"Anger issues?" Daryl said, his face flushed red, "First off I put in all this effort to get women, then if I ever did get close enough to woman to even touch her, she'd get all the pleasure and I'd get left with blue balls. And then they'd keep calling and calling saying stuff like 'You're the best I've ever had' and claiming to love me. I got so many calls I had to get rid of my cell.

They say the love me but they just love my cock and wont do anything for me. No women will give me pleasure, and I can't pleasure myself. My balls are the size of beehives and I can barely walk. And you're telling me I've got anger issues? Tie a gallon of milk to your labia then tell me about anger issues."

"Regardless, you have a frighteningly strong vehemence against women and obviously this delusion about your genitalia is a symptom of that. I am recommending you be admitted to the pysch ward until you can learn to be healthy." The doctor said putting down her notes.

"What? You've got to be kidding me."

"Daryl I'm afraid I'm very serious. If we allow your delusion to continue you will eventually become a danger to others and yourself. Let us help you to overcome your illness."

"Come on. You just think I'm some loon, what if I could prove it to you?"

"Daryl, there's nothing to prove. I suggest that you deal with that fact that no part of you has been magically enchanted, there is no genie and come to terms with your distorted view of women. I'm going to call in a doctor who will take you and check you in to the ward. Then we can begin on getting well." The doctor began to reach for the phone.

"You can't do that against my will!" Daryl stammered

"Daryl, if I view that you might be a danger to yourself or others I can admit you against your will. But really Daryl it's not bad, we will help you to be well again." The doctor lifted the phone and began to dial.

Daryl paced flustered. Then in one movement he jumped at the doctor and unzipped his pants. As his crotch brushed up against her shoulder the doctor dropped the phone.

"Oh God." The doctor whispered as her eyes rolled back behind half closed lids and she seemed to almost melt into the chair, sink down shuddering and moaning with pleasure. She rolled back and forth in the chair as her moans got louder and louder. In a few seconds she was almost shouting her pleasure throughout the room. Then there was silence except for her quivering breath.

She looked up at Daryl, her hair disheveled and glasses askew. Her eyes burned bright with desire.

"See?" Daryl said zipping up his pants.

"Indeed." Susan said with a smile as she picked up the phone. "Yes, I need to admit a new patient to the clinic. He is in my office, you might need to bring security." Susan hung up the phone.

"What? I just proved to you that I'm not making this up and you're still going to admit me?" Daryl said exacerbated.

"Daryl," Susan began as she straightened her glasses and ran a hand over her hair to smooth it, "while you have undoubtedly told the truth, I can't simply let you go. Not after that. I want you close to me, at my disposal."

The door opened and in walked two large guards followed by a slight woman in a lab coat.

"Dr. Hotch we're here to pick up the patient." The woman said.

"Here he is. Make sure he is secure." The doctor said as she stood and looked out the window.

Daryl didn't struggle or put up a fight. All he said as the guards lead him out of the office was , "Fuckin' genie."

nitewulf said:
zephyrfate - it needs to be polished up. aside from that, i thought the theme was similar to your last entry, which is ok. the protagonist's motivation could have been explained better, i guess the corporate/individual greed for the object didn't come across very well, so i didn't feel/sympathize with the protagonist's last act.

hey_monkey - you actually went the borges route of creating a journalistic alternate history. very, very well done. a bit too short though.

tim - well written, you didn't use the second objective. pretty standard war story otherwise though, even if well written.
im unsure how it's unpolished. please, explain. I swear I went over this entry like three times before submitting to catch mistakes.

nitewulf said:

I didn't see this, as I was too busy chastising Tim the Wiz. Glad my intent was clear! Just telling a story like that was surprisingly difficult for me.

Spoo

Well, I'm posting this because I wrote it. I don't know (or really think) that it encapsulates in the strongest sense the theme; and hell if it touches the secondary objective. I wrote it while extremely drunk and sort of lamenting over my -- terrible -- love-life. I hope that someone enjoys it even slightly.

Surprise
Word Count: 1323
---------------------------

When the phone rang, Sam was prepared for the worst.

"Dude," slurred the voice on the other side of the line, "I'm not coming over."

"Why?"

"Got something going on here. Happy Birthday, though."

True to his word -- his friend didn't come. Nobody came. So Sam sat down in his favorite chair, looked up at his ceiling fan, and tried to count full rotations. When he lost count, he grabbed the closest bottle he could find, poured a healthy glass of the stuff, and started over. By the end of the night, his neck hurt, and his collection of half-empty liquor bottles became a collection of empty ones. It wasn't the first time he had done this. Sam's life had felt like a dead-end for so long, he wondered if he should've expected anything else for his 28th birthday.

When he awoke the next morning both his neck and head hurt enough that he started to drop a few pain killers. He gazed around his apartment with some difficulty; his eyes were partly crusted, and they both stung. There was nothing new to see; his lamp was in the right place, resting firmly on his dirty desk next to his bed. His sheets were on the ground, where he had last left them. No surprises. There were three balloons, an uneaten cake, and a few party hats. No surprise there, either.

Sam started to feel well enough to get out of his chair around 2pm. The buzz in his head
had quieted down some, though not all of his pain was gone. Stumbling into the kitchen, he found his first surprise of the day.

Resting atop his kitchen table, was a single wrapped gift and a card with the words "Happy Birthday" inscribed with fancy lettering. He opened it and peaked inside:

"Sam,

You were sleeping. Didn't want to wake. You snore loud.

- Marie

P.S.: Coffee?"

Surprise sank into acceptance. Marie was a customer: spunky; early-twenty-somethings; brown hair. She was smart, too -- probably too smart to hold a decent conversation with Sam on a good day. Still, she was a good customer. The money she used to pay for his drugs probably trickled down from Mom and Dad; the kind of parents who always think their kid is on the right track, but only because they chose to look the other way.

The post script meant product. The usual place. He snatched a few pills and threw them in a small plastic bag. He didn't bother to seal it; instead, he rolled it up in two ways and slid it down a pocket. He had cake for breakfast, sent a text to Marie letting her know he was on his way and left. On the table sat his only unopened gift.

When Sam had reached the coffee shop, Marie was there. Smiling, her wrist nicely folded under her chin. She was still beautiful; no matter how many times Sam had sold to her, she never visibly reeked of addiction in any way. She looked the same as she did the very first day he met her -- in the coffee shop.

"Hi" said Marie, still smiling.

"Hi back."

Sam ordered a latte and sat down across from the girl. He normally let her ask for the stuff, but she wasn't talking, so he did.

"Look," he started, "thanks for coming to my place last night. Sorry I wasn't awake -- was beat. Not really into celebrations anyway. Card was," Sam paused, "straightforward."

Marie laughed and took a sip of her coffee. "You really do snore loudly," she said. "What'd you think of the gift."

"I liked it. Where'd you get it?"

"You didn't open it, did you."

"I didn't. But thanks for the thought."

Marie sighed. "That's good," she said. "I didn't actually get you anything. It's just a box wrapped up -- I know you don't care for throwaway gifts anyway." Marie smiled again; perfect teeth. "It was my way of saying, "I know you better than you think I do."

Sam thought about that, for a second. He didn't really have any friends; just customers. They came, purchased, and talked like they gave a shit about him -- but nobody did. Thinking about that made him feel more lonely than he had ever felt. They didn't know him, and as a result they didn't care about him either. But this girl, Marie, thought
she did. Did she really?

"I brought your stuff, and I'm really busy. Lot of places to hit -- you want me to throw this
at you under the table, or do you actually want to do it right?"

"I don't want it."

"What?"

"I'm serious; I don't want it. I just wanted to talk to you and wish you a happy birthday."

Sam didn't know what to say to that. He hadn't known Marie that long, but she had always seemed so eager to meet with him and do the deal. It was strange enough that she even cared to bring by a gift and card, but stranger still that she'd have him come to the usual spot and then turn down what she normally asked for.

"-- Hey, Buddy!" Came a voice. "Latte up!"

Sam got up from his seat and cringed a little as he did so. The pain wasn't all the way gone, and for a moment he felt a sharp sting in his neck.

"Try not to call me unless you need something." he said, and then he left.

Sam got back into his apartment around 11pm. He had made all the usual rounds; parties he wasn't invited to (but knew everyone in attendance by name), back alleys, gas stations, liquor stores, high schools, middle schools, rich communities, poor communities, and everything else in-between. He wasn't a huge user himself -- sure, he would kick back and relax sometimes, and he definitely drank more than his fair share, but to him it was a business. A lonely one. Lonely, lucrative, illegal and lonely -- he guessed those things came hand in hand.

Marie. He kept coming back to the bizarre meeting. They had talked a few times, but never did he figure there was anything beyond the deal in it. The first day they met, he was dealing near the coffee shop. He had walked in, saw her there -- smiling, as she so often did -- and bought her a coffee. They talked. He told her what he did, and she told him what she did. College-girl. She got his number, he got hers, and he became her hookup. Not much more than that. He never called her. Maybe he wanted to.

So it surprised him even more that she came to his apartment the night before, gift in hand.

The gift.

Had it not been for the bizarre meeting, Sam probably would've thrown it out. He would've forgotten it as conveniently as everyone else had forgotten him on his birthday. She was a customer -- an addict -- and beyond being a nice gesture, it was still an empty one. But then, he questioned even that, now.

Walking up to his table he grabbed the gift and held it. Heavy, he thought. "Fuck it," he said, and he started pulling at the wrapping -- wondering how the nothing Marie claimed was in it could magically be imbued with weight.

What Sam saw as he opened the box brought his confusion full-circle. Coke. Pills. Other drugs. There was seemingly nothing but drugs. His drugs – unopened. Unused. And a white sheet of paper folded neatly in the center of it all. Sam took it, unfolded the plain white paper, and read it aloud; as if he was reading it to someone in the room:

"This is my way of showing you I know you better than you think I do. Please call me -- and this time, it's not about drugs.

P.S.: I'm sorry I wasted your time earlier."

When the phone rang, Marie was prepared for the worst.

"Hi" said Marie.

"Hi back."

---------------------------------

Yeah, sappy love story, huh?

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Burning the oil for this one. Might not make it but will still submit it for you all to read.

Cyan

Banned
Thanks, Tim!

Pseudo_Sam said:
Eh. I figured a little mystery would keep the reader interested. It was intentional, but maybe it was a bad decision.
Ah, I had wondered. Well, a little mystery isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just didn't work for me here. Others may disagree.

DumbNameD

The Bridge (~1400 words)

Most wouldn’t have felt it, but Luis did. As he stood on the east end of the bridge, it was a subtle shiver, like the touch of a butterfly alit upon a leaf of a towering oak. And it inched along the wooden planks before tingling his toes, shimmying up his shins, and wobbling his knees. He remembered the first few times that he had crossed the bridge. His father held his small hand as his spindly legs wobbled. He had felt as if the weakness in his own frame could emaciate the iron and wood and plummet both him and the bridge into the chasm below. However, that was decades ago, long before he had become the bridge’s keeper.

“What’s that?” asked Luis’ assistant, Gustave. The boy wiped his brow of sweat as he pondered the dark billows toward the northeast. “Is it a fire?”

The brim of his hat shadowed his face. Luis stared as treetops shook and smoke trails rose from the far edge of the distant forest. Luis removed a piece of parchment and graphite from his satchel. He scribbled something and thought for a moment before folding the parchment into quarters. He handed the missive to Gustave.

“For the village elder,” said Luis.

Gustave twirled the parchment in his hands, as if it had a lid that could unscrew and reveal the contents to him. His sweat seeped into the note. As the boy turned, Luis stopped him.

With a flourish of his arm, Luis doffed his sandy brown hat. It had a wide brim with a green band encircling, and where a feather might be was a braid of blonde hair. Luis laid the hat atop Gustave’s head. “Now you’re on official bridge-keeping business.” Luis’ bald pate reflected the sun.

Gustave knew the hat had survived six generations of Luis’ family. The boy remained still, as if he were balancing his mother’s best dinner plates on his head.

“Go on! Hurry!” said Luis.

With one hand bracing atop his head, Gustave turned and dashed as the boy’s footfalls pounded the bridge. Luis watched and smiled as the boy ran across the bridge as if it touched earth.

The bridge was a terrifying creature. Above a chasm, it spanned over five hundred feet without any walls or coverings. Wooden planks made the walkway while an arching ribcage of metal trusses provided an underbelly of support. Though it was thirty-feet wide, for the fainthearted, it seemed to narrow toward the middle of a crossing.

The bridge had been a main thoroughfare until a new, safer route was completed. In its heyday, travelers from across the world crossed. Merchants carried goods in caravans. There was life in the bridge, Luis always thought. Even much of the original wood had been salvaged from the remains of an abandoned village. Some carts and horses still made their way across the bridge.

Ever since a gust of wind whipped away a traveler, the bridge had a keeper. The keeper was to guide the bridge’s traffic, to inspect the wood, to defend travelers against brigands, and to know the wind patterns as to guard against sudden bursts that might sweep away an unsuspecting crosser. It was a job for someone with steadfast legs, and it was the only job that Luis knew. For most of the bridge’s life, generations of Luis’ family had taken up the task. He had hoped his daughter might have succeeded him, but that was before a plague killed her along with her mother.

Luis eyed the smoke. It now rose from within the forest. He arched his back. The sun was almost directly overhead. He reached into his satchel and retrieved a sandwich wrapped in parchment. He sat at the edge of the bridge and bit into his food. Although the roasted pork was tough, the bread was made yesterday and still tasted fresh. The cheese, a village specialty, was his favorite and melted in his mouth. With a quarter of his sandwich left, he opened the bread and removed the remaining piece of cheese to savor at the end.

After Luis finished his food, he stood and wiped the crumbs off his clothes. The smoke was in the middle of the forest. He turned westward, looked down, and walked the bridge. When he reached the other end, he remembered his pan-flute in his satchel and pulled it out. As he turned to walk the bridge again, he played.

Even though it was a lullaby, it was his favorite song to play on the pan-flute. His mother had sung it to him, and he had played it for his daughter. He sang the lyrics in his head as he played. It was about a shepherd leading his sheep through glades and over hilltops. The shepherd reached a pond where they all drank and rested, and he smelled the sweet flowers. Though howling winds and a storm comes, they huddled under a big tree, kept each other warm, and fell asleep until the torrents passed. Luis repeated the tune over and over as he crossed the bridge.

Again at the eastern end of the bridge, Luis stopped. A procession of armored men marched from the forest. Luis tried to play louder, but the rumbles and thunder of the army drowned his breath. The army stopped in front of him. One of the members in front wended his way to the back as more flooded from the forest.

At the front, there were columns of armored men with swords and shields. Behind them, on white horses, armored women rode with lances and long shields. And in the back, there were five mounds of metal, with one larger than the other four. They all resembled castle towers and had rows of archers mounting the top. They chugged and huffed black smoke as a group of men shoveled coal into cauldrons of bubbling heat. Rivets and gears were embedded into sheets of ash-stained metal as treads ground the dirt underneath. Atop the larger tower, a golden throne sat, and Luis eyed the man crowned with gold sitting there.

The front parted as a man on a horse rode forth.

“Are you this bridge’s keeper?” asked the Captain.

Luis stared at him and nodded.

“Will your bridge hold my king’s engines?”

Luis looked at the man on the throne, and the king returned a scowling gaze. “What business brings your king’s engines to this bridge?” asked Luis in return.

“None of yours,” replied the Captain.

He dismounted and drew his sword. He thrust, and Luis sidestepped. Luis stomped the Captain’s knee, and the swordsman’s leg buckled. Luis pushed the man into ground and grabbed the Captain’s sword. Luis brandished the sword and faced the procession. The horses parted, and the footmen knelt. Luis looked at the throne, but it was empty. Through the crowd came the King.

“This? This delays my conquest?” asked the King. A towering crown graced his head, and a black-scaled cloak covered his body. His voice boomed, and the air trembled.

Luis pointed the sword toward the King. “I, I can’t let you—“

Flint sparked. The wand flashed, and a puff of smoke wafted from one end. The air burned. Luis’ chest burst, and blood spurted into the air. He shrieked and then gasped as he trembled. His body spasmed as his legs buckled and collapsed.

The King looked down at the Luis. “I am a benevolent lord. The projectile missed your heart by a sliver of my mercy,” said the King. “I grant you witness to true greatness. You may think you are somebody of worth as you tend your bridge, but you are a speck in man’s history. Not even worth a gem in my crown.”

Luis coughed. Blood pooled around his body. The King waved his arm into the air, and the army began to march across the bridge.

“The ores that go into your horseshoes and bridle bits, your trinkets and rings. They will now go into my machines,” continued the King. “And your bridge is mine now.” The King turned and walked back to his throne.

As the army marched and the machines rolled onto the bridge, Luis watched as the King crossed. Luis gurgled and then lay still.

There was a gurgle in the air as metal burst. Wind shrieked. The King gasped and trembled as the bridge shook and spasmed. The trusses buckled and collapsed. And the King and the bridge plummeted into the chasm.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Bah, wasn't able to make it in time. I'll either post it later tomorrow or save it for another day.

weepy

Sorry for this being over two hours later, but my computer messed up at the worst possible time and...well...what can I say. I know it doesn't qualify now, but I worked fairly hard on it and thought I should share it anyways. Enjoy.

Word Count: 1098

Kenny watched as his Aunt Gillian plopped another helping of mashed potatoes on her plate and shoveled rice and corn on it until there was no more plate left. She denied herself the roast because she said it was 'too fattening'.

The dinner scene was lively at the Peters residence which included his dad, mom, his other uncle, Eric, and of course Aunt Gillian. Kenny was told to be nice to his aunt, so he's trying desperately to keep his tongue in check. She's not going to ruin this dinner.

She's one to talk about fat, Kenny thought. The whole evening his aunt prattled on about hair (which looked atrocious, by the way), her relationships, her job, and now to Kenny's amusement, her dieting. Aunt Gillian was always a "pleasantly plump" woman, as his mom puts it. But since last spring she's been gaining heaping amounts of weight, changing from "pleasantly plump" to "obviously obese". The massive change began around the time her husband, Kenny's Uncle Richard, up and left. Kenny sometimes joked that she ate him.

"I've tried the Atkins diet, the grapefruit diet, the coffee diet," Aunt Gillian said, as she counted the many failed attempt at weight loss on her hands; so far seven. "Nothing seems to work."

"Have you tried not eating so mu--" Kenny was nudged hard in the side by his father and stopped.

His Aunt gave him a stern glancing over and continued. "I applied to this gym recently and--"

Kenny wondered how she could shovel food into her mouth and talk at the same time. Just thinking of the act made him sick. He stirred at his own meal trying not to interrupt. The woman sitting across from him at the table was obnoxious and rude and he had to put up with her boorish tales for the entirety of the evening for his mom's sake. He looked up to see her gibbering on, flecks of food spraying from her pink lips. Her massive purple dress bulged over her round yet unshapely form making her look like a grape. He couldn't help thinking that this is the woman that drove his uncle away.

"Maybe you should come with me to my yoga class," his mom suggested.

Kenny snorted and this time his mom shot him a reproachful glance causing him to look down at his plate again. He looked up in time to see his aunt shifting in her seat. He could hear the wood creak and ebb under her weight. If it collapsed and she fell on her fat ass that would provide some entertainment for the day, he thought.

"Oh no, I couldn't--uhh--damn chair...," The big woman swayed slightly then regained her composure. "I'll see if I could lose weight on my own."

Gillian saw Kenny watching her, grinning slyly.

"I see you're home early from college. Did they kick you out," she asked haughtily. She always made nasty remarks like that. If it wasn't about his smarts it was about how "puny" he looked. This time Kenny wasn't in the mood.

He caught his mother's eyes silently saying be nice and grumbled "I'm home on vacation."

"I'm surprise you even made it to college," she chuckled. "You were never the sharpest tool in the shed. Hell, when you were little your mother thought you was retarded!"

Kenny's face flushed red, his grip tightening on his fork. Dad didn't say anything, but smirked and continued eating.

"Now Gillian, that's unfair," his mom said. "You know this was before we found out he has dyslexia."

"I know Mary, I know," she guffawed, her ample bosom heaved up in down as she did. Her chair groaned in agony. "I'm just poking fun. Hey, Kenny, remember when you thought you could hear dogs talk and talk to them? Used to run around barking at the neighborhood mutts trying to get them to follow you home!"

This time everyone at the table joined in laughter, but Kenny.

"I was six," Kenny snapped. His face beet red, hand throbbing from clutching his fork. What he would give to poke her right in her overblown gut he thought. I'm just poking fun.

"You used to go 'Woof! Woof!," she hooted. "Hahahaha--ohh!"

Her seat wobbled a bit causing her to laugh harder. Kenny noticed her laughter sounding a bit strange, like air being forced through a pin hole sized opening, making a farting sound. It was annoying.

"Gillian, you sure you don't want another chair," his dad asked amused.

"I'm--I'm alright," she said trying desperately to catch her breathe.

Kenny had enough. He threw his utensil down, slid from his seat and stood up.

"Where are you going Ken," his mother asked. "You barely touched your food."

"I'm going out, I'll be bac--" just as Kenny turned to make his exit, his foot got caught on table legging sending him face forward into the floor.

Aunt Gillian lost it then. Her terrible laughter came in waves causing her to howl and bang the table then holding her sides. Between laughing fits she let out a sound similar to air being let out of a whoopie cushion.

"HAHAH--WOOOOO--HAHAHAHAH--WOOOO"

As she continued, the purple dress that was stretched ever so tightly on her form loosen and billow against her chest.

Her bosoms deflated like old balloons, her big arms became flabby, her stomach withered and shrank away yet her skin miraculously didn't hang from her body as if it was drawn in.

Her once bloated face began to sink in revealing an almost attractive woman had it not been caked with cheap make up.

Kenny turned angrily to see his aunt's laughing bouts was causing her shrink--no, deflate. By then the whole family was staring at Gillian as her laughter lulled to a titter then stopped. She took notice of her new, thinner form and gasped letting an awkward, screech noise leave her mouth. She tried to keep her dress from slipping off. Everyone at the table went silent.

"It ain't no diet, but that sure as hell works," Uncle Eric shouted. Just as he said that almost on cue, Aunt Gillian's chair gave way sending her crashing to the ground. Seeing her on the floor with that massive tarp of a purple dress on her reminded Kenny of grape jelly.

Everyone table-level was laughing again. At ground level, the two met eyes, his gleeful, hers flustered. This time, it was Kenny's turn to laugh. She was attempting to get up but failing, fighting with the dress. He laughed harder, his stomach hurting, his sides aching. He felt the air leaving his lungs. Feeling lighter.

nitewulf

ZephyrFate said:
im unsure how it's unpolished. please, explain. I swear I went over this entry like three times before submitting to catch mistakes.

I was in the bathroom at the time, just after cleansing myself in the chemical shower. I quickly straightened by short-crop red hair, quickly threw on some new grey slacks and my one white dress shirt, donning a similar white lab coat on top of it, plain brown loafers to match it. I looked into the mirror. Thirty-four years old, and about to witness a miracle. Hell, it's only a miracle because a human is gaining something from it. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I quickly straightened my short-crop red hair, and threw on...., and plain brown...

the last lines are very awkward. you switch tenses and also foreshadow something that the reader and the protagonist is yet unaware. you only learn about the human greed when you see it in the man's eyes much later, you can't yet comment about the nature of the miracle. there's nothing to disgust the protagonist at this point, he didnt go through the flashbacks/memories of the object and experienced the grief and greed firsthand.

stuff like that basically...

Cyan

Banned
DumbNameD said:
The Bridge
Damn it, dude. This starts out so beautifully. Great descriptive work, nice establishment of the MC. I really like that you take the time to show him eating his lunch and playing the pipes.

But from the captain's attack onward, it seemed to lose its way. First there was that fight, which didn't seem believable given what we already knew about the MC. It seemed unreasonable that he could defeat a trained fighter with a sword so easily. Then the king suddenly had a "magic wand" (a gun?), which hadn't been mentioned before. The MC gets shot but not killed... but then dies anyway a paragraph later?

And then, rather predictably, the bridge falls and kills everyone.

What I would have loved to see happening is for the bridge to hold almost all the way across... then the assistant turns up with the men from the village, and they take out the bridge supports on the other side. Or, I don't know. I'm sure you could come up with something more creative. But the assistant was a loose end that I would've liked to see tied off.

Spoo said:
No disclaimers before the story!

Ok, so first off, it's interesting to see a dealer as an MC where that doesn't really define his character. It seems like it's just another job to him. I liked that.

It starts off a little slow. It probably could have started at him waking up hung-over and finding the gift. Although if you did that, you'd lose the nice referential bit at the end, where Marie has the same reaction Sam does at the start.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that quite works either. We've seen the entire story from Sam's POV, so it was a bit difficult to make the sudden jump to Marie. It might've been better to keep it in Sam's POV. You know, he picks up the phone, hesitates, and then just dials anyway.

Anyway, I liked the characters and I liked the interaction between them. Good stuff.

ronito

Tim the Wiz said:
Phew, the last challenge was massive in comparison. (of quantity)
I think Memory was a far easier theme to write for than Bauble. That's both good an bad. Anyhoo let's begin.

Zephyr: Same tone dude. I know it fits you but...Also you get verbose early on. Try to be more efficient in your word use. I do like what you were trying to say though.

Hey_Mono: Hrmm....It feels like 93% exposition and in the end it just seemed like well if everything returned to normal, then what was the point?

nitewulf: It could stand some editing. For example the line "Suddenly I was very tired of life. A calm melancholy washed over me. I had no fight left in me." You essentially said the same thing three different ways. Just one would've sufficed. Feels like you needed more space.

Aaron: The meter needs some work and some of the ryhmes felt forced. But still a very nice entry.

Tim: Nice but it felt too short to me. Never really got to care for the private so his ultimate sacrifice really lacked emotional punch to me.

No crow or Scribble? :(

Fuck it... I'm bowing out next challenge. Spread's coming up and all and I think I should pool my energies towards that. I'm kind of not doing so well at all recently with my short stories.

Scribble

ronito said:
No crow or Scribble? :(

crow's on a trip, and I've fallen out of the loop.

Have to buck it up for SPREAD, though! Also doing next week's challenge for the description-only tertiary challenge that Cyan suggested.

We should have done SPREAD first :lol What happened to that thing we were planning just before NaNoWriMo last year?

Yeah, I'm actually sitting in the Baltimore airport right now. I'll be back on Sunday, and looking forward to the next topic. And I'm certain Scribble will be there too.

Cyan

Banned
Scribble said:
We should have done SPREAD first :lol What happened to that thing we were planning just before NaNoWriMo last year?
Nobody really stepped up to take charge of it. m0dus seems to have done a thorough job of planning things out for Spread.

ronito

Sorta-Sam: Struck me as too short and needing some editing/polish

Cyan: "Years, it's been" Sorry but suddenly St. Anthony turned into Yoda for me. My fault, not yours. Licia's tone with Anthony makes it seem that she's very used to this happening, yet you never explain why. I like Anthony's tone and voicing though you tend to lose it a little at the end, subtle but nicely done. The ending was telegraphed from the moment he went to the sink and asked why she wanted it.

Spoo: Wording struck out at me as needing some work, just some sentences felt either weak or awkward. I liked who it pulled you in and made you care. Though I think a bit of editing and all that would've helped.

DumbNameD: I have to agree with Cyan it's just so wonderfully setup and painted but once the bridge was introduced I knew that it would either fall or someone would fall.

weepy: Pay attention to tense. I like the humor of it, though really the Aunt just seems one dimensional almost cliche. Still it made me smile.

Cyan

Banned
ronito said:
Cyan: "Years, it's been" Sorry but suddenly St. Anthony turned into Yoda for me. My fault, not yours.
:lol D'oh! Nah, fair criticism. That kind of unintentional evoking of something well-known is definitely something to be aware of when writing. i.e. Timecop = Van Damme. :p Thanks again for your help on that btw; still pondering different ways of reworking the beginning.

Cyan

Banned
ronito said:
Enchanted
So a regular dude, a psychiatrist, and a genie walk into a bar...

This piece reads like a rather long joke. This is both good and bad. It's good in that it's a fun read, and entertaining. It's not so good in that the characters are underdeveloped. The man doesn't get to show us much besides anger. The psychiatrist is a fairly stock one, only showing a little personality at the end.

Giving this story the feel of a joke is a perfectly valid choice. But if it is to be more, stronger characters would help.

Ward

ZephyrFate- Grammar is a bit rough- lot of sentence fragments at the beginning. It’s impeding my ability to read your story. Silver liquid that extracts memories… is this Harry Potter inspired?

So, the beginning was a bit rough. I wasn’t sure what was going on or where it was going. You hit a stride once the guy leaps. I would have liked the end better if you omitted the last line.

At the beginning I was getting a vibe similar to the movie The Final Cut.

hey_monkey- Interesting premise. Wow, nicely done. Well written save for a grammar mistake or two. A creative idea, and you manage to have a lot of story in a short span. I like how the stone is the main character and how it is adapted over time.

nitewulf- The first phone conversation is kind of weird, because it isn’t indicated to be a memory. At first I was wondering, how a phone was ringing at the bus stop and how someone knew to call Zidane there.

The waitress just tells Zidane all about the girl’s business? Hard to believe that.

I like your writing, but I must have missed something since I didn’t get the end. I’m guessing it’s related to the wind chime.

Aaron- Your poem was a lot of fun. Great job. Nice ending as well. I don’t usually care for poetry, but this is definitely an exception.

Tim the Wiz- Ok, so I would have liked it to start PARAAADE REST. Or something to that effect. It’s a command that is always delivered forcefully. Similar for the attention line.

The Lt. would have saluted the General first, would he not?

I like it. You captured the moment well. It felt real. Though, the MC didn’t feel like a Lt. maybe a staff sergeant or sergeant first class would have worked better for me.

Pseudo_Sam- Nice job, though it’s a little short. I would have liked it to be longer and something actually happen, but still it felt real and you did well developing the character.

Cyan- Nice job. Well written, and I like the characters. I couldn’t help but get a feeling of the movie Fireproof. I was expecting for it to end a bit more positive, some glimmer of hope or determination on Licia’s part to close.

Ronito- First sentence is a turn off. It seems lifeless. Hahaha, ok, so I like the first sentence/paragraph after getting to Darryl’s predicament. Nice set up.

I’m loving the dialogue. Hilarious entry.

Spoo-

I like it. Good set up. Not sure on the ending, but a strong contribution none the less.

DumbNameD- Well written as usual.

A minor gripe, but this bridge was constructed with salvage from a nearby village, so metal trusses seem out of place. I pictured modern steel trusses from the description. Wrought iron would have fit my picture of this world better, even though Luis’s village seems to be technologically behind the King’s machines.

I didn’t like the end. I liked the King’s speck in history line and would have preferred it end with the King waving his arms and crossing the bridge to really push the contrast between how important Luis felt his job was and how insignificant the King felt it was.

weepy- Tense changed jumped out- really disorienting. I thought Kenny was 11 or 12 until the college line. I was really expecting Kenny to pull out a wand, cause Gillian to inflate and then float away.

You really capture the moment, nicely done.

Voting:

Hey-monkey

Aaron

Spoo

Ward said:
Tim the Wiz- Ok, so I would have liked it to start PARAAADE REST. Or something to that effect. It’s a command that is always delivered forcefully. Similar for the attention line.

I understand it for the latter, but, ah, the first sentence isn't dialogue.

Ward said:
The Lt. would have saluted the General first, would he not?

“General.” I saluted and held attention as he pinned the sucker on my chest.

“Lieutenant,” the general replied with an indulgent grin and a quick salute.

Ah, he did.

Ward said:
I like it. You captured the moment well. It felt real.

Thanks.

Ward said:
ZephyrFate- Grammar is a bit rough- lot of sentence fragments at the beginning. It’s impeding my ability to read your story. Silver liquid that extracts memories… is this Harry Potter inspired?

Voting:

Hey-monkey

Aaron

Spoo
It is very, very different from the Pensieve. There is no extraction of thoughts from human beings and thoughts do not swirl around inside of it. The bathtub merely creates a synchronicity between user and object, allowing them to travel back in time to see where that object has been, what it has experienced, etc.

I'll work on the grammar... *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom