• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Among Thieves release date, box-art and pre-order incentives announced

TheFallen

Sigh, preorder bonuses. I hate pre-ordering, especially since these games can be gotten cheaper if you wait for sales a week or two after the game. I really don't care for golden gun skins, but the fact that they're giving an advantage to players who pre-order in multiplayer has me kind of annoyed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was hoping for October 1st release date, but this is not bad either. Can someone (Arne) explain if the treasure map bonus will be available upon completion of the game as an unlockable?

Box art looks similar in style to the first one. I don't know what people were expecting. At least this time a weapon is not as prominently featured on a cover.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Shogun PaiN said:
Compare it to this which screams ''HOLY SHIT TELL ME MORE''

I don't think it says that at all.

What Naughty Dog should be doing is bringing the classic Indiana Jones movie art feel to these covers.

1099410.jpg

003_raidersrrp.JPG

The first box cover fails because you can't even see who the hell Drake is and can't relate to him at first sight. the second box art fails...just in general. Everyone and their fucking mother compares this franchise to Indy Jones, Naughty Dog should USE THAT.

JCreasy

Shogun PaiN said:
Whats wrong is that its shit. You have all of these beautiful and exotic environments straight out of the old Indiana jones movies and instead they go with a rather bland looking Cliffhanger design.

Compare it to this which screams ''HOLY SHIT TELL ME MORE'' -

uncharted-box.jpg

That's my favorite box art of all time right there . . .

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
The boxart is
1. An illustration that clearly communicates the setting and feel of the gameplay
2. Extremely well rendered by a professional artist.
3. Completely fucking boring.

Why does every boxart these days feel focus tested into the ground?

reKon

Banned
Drame said:
I can't wait for Uncharted 2, pre-ordered and paid in full!

I really need to get Uncharted 1 before U2 >.<.

The box-art could have been better, though.

I saw a $20 preowned copy at blockbuster for $20 so keep a lookout.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's too bad there's no LE for the game. Sony in general always had something about limited editions which I always thought was dumb.

I can't complain much as I got my grubby hands on press kit for U1, which was simply awesome, but it would be that much better if this was freely available:

uncharted_01_small.jpg
uncharted_03_small.jpg
uncharted_05_small.jpg

Madman

Firewire said:
I don't like the store incentive bs at all. One of the lamest things in gaming this gen if you ask me.
Eh, I'm not a fan of it either, but I don't plan on it affecting my purchase decisions one way or the other.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Man what was that one game that came out recently where everyone hated the original box art so they took it back and redid it?

Edit: Oh yeah, Street Fighter 4

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Pre-order complaints baffle me at times. They are usually things you can get in game that you will be getting anyway for a bit of gametime, OSTs/Artbooks/Etc (I wonder if they have done studies to prove which method is more effective...), or shit that takes up space. You don't have to pre-order the game to begin with and it's just companies working hard to get people to buy their game. In a place like Sales-Age, how is this a bad thing?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What does the Revenge booster even do?

I'll get it at BB, the rest of it seems isn't that enticing.
Can't wait for this game.

And yes, boxart is terrible.
CHANGE IT!!!!

beast786

I think I am going to pre-order from everywhere, get the stuff, cancel the pre-orders and then just buy the game on Day 1 .. I WANT IT ALL PRECIOUS

Smeagol.jpg

edit: suck at photoshop
17.gif

Firewire

Banned
Blast Processing said:
Is this playable on Xbox 360? I'm looking at the boxart, and I don't see any clear indication of what platform or online service this game is for.

The 360 can't handle llama's that spit exploding barrels.

I'm going to take a guess and say the revenge booster is something where you can see where the guy who last killed you is from anywhere on the map either with a large arrow or by seeing through the walls.

Kintaro said:
Pre-order complaints baffle me at times. They are usually things you can get in game that you will be getting anyway for a bit of gametime, OSTs/Artbooks/Etc (I wonder if they have done studies to prove which method is more effective...), or shit that takes up space. You don't have to pre-order the game to begin with and it's just companies working hard to get people to buy their game. In a place like Sales-Age, how is this a bad thing?

Because people need something to bitch about, like that jackass on the first page. If you dont like preorder bonuses, you dont have to fucking preorder, its clear as day. We get it, why dont you complain about something more important instead of some fucking skins for weapons. Preorders are setup to help better the relationship with the retailer, to help guarantee sales.

PS, this was not aimed at you Kintaro, im just sick of hearing this same shit. The same with collectors edition complainers.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Lord Error said:
It's too bad there's no LE for the game. Sony in general always had something about limited editions which I always thought was dumb.

I can't complain much as I got my grubby hands on press kit for U1, which was simply awesome, but it would be that much better if this was freely available:

uncharted_01_small.jpg
uncharted_03_small.jpg
uncharted_05_small.jpg

I jizz in mine every night.

:D

TheFallen

Blast Processing said:
Is this playable on Xbox 360? I'm looking at the boxart, and I don't see any clear indication of what platform or online service this game is for.
Nah needs more Playstation.

Wollan

Nice release date, I was hoping it would be a bit earlier than the rush.

Cover is pretty bad. The first game had a terrific cover (in North America).

LaneDS

Been said a bunch, but that's awesome it's out at the start of October. One of the few games this holiday season I plan on picking up.

Reallink

Kintaro said:
Really? I mean, its your money but you won't be buying a damn thing since it's going to be pre-order madness for online modes this holiday. Get over it.

I have no problem with preorder bonuses in general. They can put in all the skins, golden guns, and treasure videos they want. I do have a problem when they extend it to MP advantage or exclusive levels like the R&C moon (that may or may not be available through normal gameplay, for free, or within a reasonable amount of time).

*Edit* Basically every item TheFallen just listed.

TheFallen

Kintaro said:
But it isn't stuff that you can get on your own sometimes...
Wolverine had the Weapon X arena that only became available 1-2 months after the game's release for $10.
Batman: Arkham Asylum will have an extra map that won't be available at release.
Infamous has gigawatt blades that are still not available.
R&C will have an extra level.
Assassin's Creed 2 will have a new area to play around with...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Firewire said:
But fuck the individual store incentives, they suck llama balls.

Pretty much this. Fuck individual store pre-order bonuses. They expect us to pre-order five times to get everything or something?:lol

reKon

Banned
TheSeks said:
Pretty much this. Fuck individual store pre-order bonuses. They expect us to pre-order five times to get everything or something?:lol

No the retailers expect you to choose their store because of their incentive. Seriously people this is common sense and complaining won't change anything.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Homersexual said:
So basysuckly...

Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend and Way of the Samurai 3 on the same day?

Someone kill me.

D: OMG your name...

Was hoping for Uncharted 2 in September :( But early October is okay, I guess.

NIN90

Shogun PaiN said:
Whats wrong is that its shit. You have all of these beautiful and exotic environments straight out of the old Indiana jones movies and instead they go with a rather bland looking Cliffhanger design.

Compare it to this which screams ''HOLY SHIT TELL ME MORE'' -

So a generic guy holding 2 guns screams at you ''HOLY SHIT TELL ME MORE'' and a dude hanging from a cliff doesn't?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The boxart is okay... was hoping for something a little more though than the image the used for the GI cover...

reKon

Banned
If I was to preorder this from Amazon, does that mean that it's very likely that I receive this ON the 13th?

iratA

I'm a sucker for limited/special edition packaging (see infamous, PoP etc). *sigh* if only Uncharted got some of that loving. Still, I'll be loving October though ;)

KillJade

Banned
Kintaro said:
I don't think it says that at all.

What Naughty Dog should be doing is bringing the classic Indiana Jones movie art feel to these covers.

1099410.jpg

Agreed 100%.

Why the hell would Naughty Dog use such a HIDEOUS box art as the one Kotaku is showing off?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
reKon said:
No the retailers expect you to choose their store because of their incentive. Seriously people this is common sense and complaining won't change anything.

You know what let's me also choose a store because of their incentive? PRICE! *gasp* HOLY SHIT AMAZING I KNOW! (Too bad we never will get discounts at launch because man... $60 day-one has made me stop buying disc-based games NEW now).

What the fuck is wrong with offering an art-book for everyone? At least that makes me pre-order. Special bonus powers that actually don't do too much of anything doesn't.

Edit: I like the box-art. Man, I don't get GAF hate sometimes.

Top Bottom