• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Ultimate Player Edition with 1TB launches in Europe on July 15

chadskin

Hi everyone. Today, we’re happy to announce that the 1TB PS4 Ultimate Player Edition launches in select Europe and PAL territories from 15th July.

Offering twice the storage of the existing PS4, you’ll be able to download more of the games you love to your PS4, extend your play with more great add-on content and save and share even more of your best gaming highlights.

For pricing information, check with your local retailer.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/06/22/new-1tb-ps4-ultimate-player-edition-launches-next-month/

UPDATE: I've heard back from Sony and it's confirmed that the 1TB PS4 uses older, original PS4 architecture. The revised hardware coming to Japan at the end of the month is different. If and when it will arrive here Sony Europe couldn't say.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-22-sony-announces-revised-ps4-hardware

18769698998_cc63691969_b.jpg

Lionheart

Nice box! Wondering if it'll be € 399 or more. Seeing as you can usually get one or two free games with the € 399 consoles nowadays, € 399 would be a great alternative for 1 TB. Probably the MSRP is a lil higher though.

Aw shit son I always been the #UltimatePlaya get on my LEVEL

I have a 2TB drive in my PS4 since I got it, but definitely going forward this is the PS4 to buy. Patches got big, and games got even bigger.

That's the new model that is supposed to be 300g lighter, right ?

Don't really care about the HDD space but if they could managed to make the new model a little less fucking loud I'd buy one instantly.

Playing The Witcher 3 without the headset on is annoying as hell right now.

Player Edition was 2 pads, camera and game, so ultimate player edition would surely be that, with a bigger hard drive?

Dumb name, but expected upgrade as always.

playXray

That's the new model that is supposed to be 300g lighter, right ?

Don't really care about the HDD space but if they could managed to make the new model a little less fucking loud I'd buy one instantly.

Playing The Witcher 3 without the headset on is annoying as hell right now.

I think that's just bad luck from the initial batch of PS4s. Some are really noisy, others are really quiet. I'd wager that this new model is the same quiet build quality as the later launch models.

Shin-Ra

Matte HDD bay cover! 10% lighter! 8% less power consumption! (and probably a bit cooler)

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT TO LAUNCH NEW PLAYSTATION®4 WORLDWIDE STARTING FROM JAPAN AT END OF JUNE
Tokyo, June 22, 2015 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that a new PlayStation®4(PS4™) computer entertainment system (body color: Jet Black / Glacier White) will become available towards the end of June, 2015 in Japan, followed by North America / Europe / Asian countries and regions.

The weight of the new PS4 system has been reduced by 10% and the power consumption by 8%, compared to the current PS4 model. In addition, the surface of the new PS4 system’s HDD bay cover will come in a matte finish, giving the system a more casual look. With the new system, users can continue to enjoy unique and interactive entertainment experiences only available on PlayStation®, including the wide array of game titles and strong network offerings.

The PS4 system’s games portfolio will continue to expand with highly anticipated titles from third-party publishers as well as SCE Worldwide Studios such as SENGOKU BASARA4 SUMERAGI (CAPCOM CO., LTD.), METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.), GOD OF WAR III Remastered, Until Dawn, and The Tomorrow Children.*1

edit: Actually, the HDD cover still looks shiny in that box shot.

Erimriv

Good, bundled with a game at 399 euros and everybody wins. This should force MS to drop the price of the 1Tb sku in Europe.

UberTag

Most of the "ultimate players" I know have already traded up for 1 TB solid state drive experience (or, in my case, a 2 TB non-SSD for maximum storage).
This seems to offer neither of those benefits. Suppose it's still an improvement if the price is right, however.

So you get the new model with the matte fnish with 500 GB, and this one which is still the old model but with a partly glossy finish and 1 TB?

Hope this one will be €400 and the newer model with the new matte finish €350, both included with a game.

Azzawon

Interesting how this console still has the gloss HDD cover, where the new 500GB model has a matte finish. I would much prefer a matte one on this myself...

Now I'm undecided on which console to pick up later this year, I don't think I'd play enough games on my PS4 to warrant a 1TB but who knows what the future holds...

chadskin

Interesting how this console still has the gloss HDD cover, where the new 500GB model has a matte finish. I would much prefer a matte one on this myself...

Now I'm undecided on which console to pick up later this year, I don't think I'd play enough games on my PS4 to warrant a 1TB but who knows what the future holds...

Since the PS4 HDD is upgradeable without losing warranty, I'd honestly just buy the newer 500GB model and pop in a higher capacity HDD when I'd run out of space eventually.

Azzawon

Since the PS4 HDD is upgradeable without losing warranty, I'd honestly just buy the newer 500GB model and pop in a higher capacity HDD when I'd run out of space eventually.

I'll probably end up going down that route to be honest, probably worth expecting a price drop on that model soon? I much prefer the matte finish on the HDD cover too.

I posted this in the other thread:

"It seems like both the 500GB and 1TB models will have the lower power consumption and matte finish.

Not sure I like the matte finish on both this and the 1TB Xbox One, it feels a bit like penny pinching to me. Especially on the Xbox One, which now loses the chrome disc drive (similar to what Sony did with the 40GB and 80GB "fat" PS3 models). But if it means more margins on hardware I'm all for it, we need this generation to be sustainable unlike the last."

Interesting that the 1TB model is actually still shiny -- opposite to the 1TB Xbox One which is matte -- now I'm confused. Does the 1TB model carry the same specs (in terms of power consumption and weight) as the 500GB model announced over at SCEJ's website? Wonder if this 1TB model is using up the last of the original production line for the time being?

Kinda confusing with all the shiny and matte stuff, and ambiguity on price.
Wish they would have been more clear, and give a date for NA as well.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Older hotter, louder architecture with a gloss finish? No thanks.

Will wait a for the newer, better matte console. Will sell my Player Edition.

Top Bottom